HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 02:09 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
The problem is that this board, and every other board, is full of rampant homerism, and any sober, rational thought that is not heavily influenced by recent events is attacked.

I am glad Zibanejad scored, and he is playing really well. That said, his goal did not answer the "hockey-sense question". I still see 50-60 pts for him in his prime.
I havent seen anyone suggest more than that from him, besides an ultimate upside. I believe people are taking issue with suggestions he won't ever be as good as Chris Kelly.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:34 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiercioch2Karlsson View Post
Such lack of perspective in these boards.

Last year - a full NHL season - less than 60 players had 60 pts or more. That's, on average, just under two players per team with 60 pts or more. It is really hard to get 60 pts in the NHL.

Jason Spezza
Erik Karlsson
Milan Michalek

... are three young players we have that scored 60 pts or more last year (Alfie had 59).

If we get 50 - 60 pts out of Zibanejad in his prime, that would be amazing. What more can you seriously ask for? Silfverberg too. Hell, if he, Z-bad, and Turris scored 50 - 60 pts each season, we would be doing very, very well, and would have a very balanced attack (especially with Noesen and Stone coming through the system, and Puempel as a longer shot).

We need to be a little more realistic about our prospects and our definition of success for them. Draft a Spezza, and yes - you expect (or really hope) for ppg. Draft a hard-nosed, two-way, north-south player like Z-bad... and be happy if you get Mike Fisher.

Come on people. Z-bad is not Alfredsson, nor Sundin. And Holmes is absolutely right that there is no reason to believe he ever will be. But that's OK!
No problems with this post, but this is a far cry from the many other's comments on Zib claiming, he was a bust and offered in almost every trade proposal.

I think if some of the realism about prospects you are suggesting for fans was actually based on watching them play not staring at statistics, there would be less of these debates.

I have no idea what Zib's upside will be, that is something only the future will provide. Using the past to predict the future is for those that like to take the safe route and jibe those that are optimistic by nature.

The facts are Zib has all the skills, size, dedication and intelligence to perform at a high level in the NHL for years to come. He is 19 years old and now showing he can play in the league.

Sure there are questions that remain unanswered, but to look to the past for those answers is nothing more than an attempt to justify shaky opinions.

For example Huberdeau, Strome, Scheifele have had no greater impact at the NHL level than Zib, yet all had significantly better numbers in their amateur careers.

IMO Zib has a better base skill set than any of the above and his ceiling is far from being predictable at this point in time.

PS might also have added Couts given how many here love him, but he played a full season last year and did very well. This year, 7 games, 1 goal, 2 assists - 3, so was last year the predictor of his future or is the current player?

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 01-31-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapJack View Post
I think he would have scored 30 as a 17 year old while adjusting to the smaller rink.

The guy has yet to play 30 games for the same team since he was 15, he keeps getting bumped up to the next level. He is still a teenager playing in the NHL and looks good out there. I'd say 90% of the criticism comes from people looking at stats, and the rest is nitpicking his style of play because he might not be the next Hossa.

If you ain't excited about this kid, just give up on life and continue to cry every time your team doesn't win every game 6-0.
At 17, he'd have probably scored enough to get top 10 consideration for that draft. Because that's what he is. May not have put up the numbers Strome did that year, but considering the other things he brings to the table as a legit NHL scoring prospect, he probably wouldn't have been that far off.

It borders on colossal failure if Zibanejad isn't a top 6 forward someday on a good team. And there's something wrong if he isn't scoring 20-30 and perhaps sometimes higher in any given season.

There are too many NHL scoring tools at his disposal for this not to be a reasonable expectation.

Even if you think he doesn't have any finish, which is up in the air if you ask me, some players without finish have scored 30 goals in a season before. There are some players that'll score 20 goals in a season just by banging pucks in. And there's some guys that bang pucks in, and score from range....and you'll probably see Mika do this (refer to that bold, underline, italicized point I made above). Milan Michalek isn't much of a finisher unless he's 2 feet from the goalie....and who doesn't usually finish when there in that tight.

Scouting isn't rocket science, but you do put expectations on players if they have obvious tools that should lead to production.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:51 PM
LaGu

Honest question, how would you guys rank the 6th overall picks over the last 10 years (first year 2002)?

Upshall
Michalek
Montoya
Brule
Brassard
Gagner
Filatov
Ekman-Larsson
Connolly
Zibanejad

Old
01-31-2013, 05:54 PM
Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Honest question, how would you guys rank the 6th overall picks over the last 10 years (first year 2002)?

Upshall
Michalek
Montoya
Brule
Brassard
Gagner
Filatov
Ekman-Larsson
Connolly
Zibanejad
Brule is the best out of all of them with Filatov being a close second

Old
01-31-2013, 06:08 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

Alright, continue. Remember to keep it civil, folks.

Last edited by SixthSens: 01-31-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 06:25 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:

Upshall
Michalek
Montoya
Brule
Brassard
Gagner
Filatov
Ekman-Larsson
Connolly
Zibanejad
Michalek
Ekman-Larsson
Upshall
Brassard
Gagner
Zibanejad
Connolly
Filatov
Montoya

So sad to see Filly so low

Old
01-31-2013, 06:43 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:

Upshall
Michalek
Montoya
Brule
Brassard
Gagner
Filatov
Ekman-Larsson
Connolly
Zibanejad
OEL
Michalek
Zibanejad
Gagner
Upshall
Connolly
Brassard
Brule
Filatov
Montoya

Old
01-31-2013, 06:45 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Michalek
Ekman-Larsson
Upshall
Brassard
Gagner
ZibanejadI
Connolly
Filatov
Montoya

I'll do it later

Old
01-31-2013, 07:27 PM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Send a message via AIM to Polakdave Send a message via MSN to Polakdave Send a message via Yahoo to Polakdave
He's the prince of Persia

Old
02-01-2013, 02:04 PM
KarlSen

NHL.com article:

Zibanejad took bumpy road back to Senators

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=653201

Old
02-01-2013, 04:04 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

We're going to get a good look at Zibanejad while Spezza is out. I am sure many questions will be answered over the next two months.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Lyndon Slewidge

Ekman-Larsson
Michalek
Zibanejad
Gagner
Brassard
Upshall
Connolly
Montoya
Brule
Filatov

Old
02-01-2013, 04:08 PM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
We're going to get a good look at Zibanejad while Spezza is out. I am sure many questions will be answered over the next two months.
Questions like:
How did Zibanejad look in the two months Spezza was out?

And...

Old
02-01-2013, 10:27 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

I don't know about you guys but I was in love with this guy today. He was one of our best forwards, he did everything right and created scoring chances, he did have that one hiccup but overall, he is looking like the real deal.

His hockey smarts were on display today, this guy was breaking up defensive chances and rushing them up like it's nothing. He was also stealing pucks off forwards and crashing them into the boards. Always seemed to be first one leading the rush and first one back-checking.

Bravo, Mika.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:00 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

I'm quite satisfied with his game thus far. He has certainly looked better with teh big club then he has down in Bingo.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Minister of Offence

Gonna be pretty good man...

Old
03-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

You can tell he his so much more comfortable now. He is surrounded by familiar faces and is consistently playing without interruption, which is making him much more assertive and allowing him to create chances. I think we are finally starting to see the real Mika out there and not the deer in headlights afraid to make a mistake player we've seen these past two seasons.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:12 PM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

I'm loving his game so far, but not sure if his future on this team is as a center or a winger. His speed and shot make him an asset coming up the side, but he's also terrific at drawing defenders and dishing the puck from the center position. Really excited to see how his game progresses.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:16 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Man, 3 months ago we were all talking about how he reaches the line and shoots it.

When's the last time you seen him do that lately? He's been driving the net hard with the puck and making amazing plays/passes. He's been shooting the puck efficiently well and he's been flat out dynamic.

His back-checking and physical presence are also both ridiculous. Remember in overtime against the Bruins when he beat out Chara in the boards and stole it from him and fed Turris who missed the net point blank?

This guy is going to be a star.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:17 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenOfSpades View Post
I'm loving his game so far, but not sure if his future on this team is as a center or a winger. His speed and shot make him an asset coming up the side, but he's also terrific at drawing defenders and dishing the puck from the center position. Really excited to see how his game progresses.
This. He sometimes bobbles it but with practice he'll be able to control the puck better throwing it to the wings or even catching defenders flat-footed and driving the net for a breakaway chance or shot on goal from in-close.

I am so giddy about the future of him and Silfverberg. Their plays together have been ridiculous and its just their first years on NA ICE let alone rookie years in the pro level.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:39 PM
DrEasy
Get well soon, BM!

He's already contributing and yet he still looks so raw. With so much room for improvement, don't know what the ceiling is with this guy.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:12 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

When he started Zbad was shooting from just outside or inside the blue line with no traffic which rarely beats an NHL goalie. Lately he plays and shoots much closer in and that's why he has been more dangerous. He's an almost 20 year old kid who's just learning the NA pro game. He has all the tools to become a genuine top 6. Anyone who wants to trade him now for a short term fix would regret it in a year or 2 watching him score for another team for many years to come. He and Silfv are untouchable building blocks in my book.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:25 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Michalek
Ekman-Larsson
Upshall
Brassard
Gagner
Zibanejad
Connolly
Filatov
Montoya

Michalek over OEL, are you high?

On Michalek?

Old
03-18-2013, 03:38 AM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
When he started Zbad was shooting from just outside or inside the blue line with no traffic which rarely beats an NHL goalie. Lately he plays and shoots much closer in and that's why he has been more dangerous. He's an almost 20 year old kid who's just learning the NA pro game. He has all the tools to become a genuine top 6. Anyone who wants to trade him now for a short term fix would regret it in a year or 2 watching him score for another team for many years to come. He and Silfv are untouchable building blocks in my book.
This. Zibanejad has easily been one of my favourite Sens to watch this year. I don't see how, with what he's shown so far, we could possibly trade him. His value right now I don't think has never been higher IMO. I'm stoked to see this kid develop more!

Closed Thread