HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Cory Who?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
  #151
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,985
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I don't know - you'll have to ask MacLean and Kypreos as they're the ones who brought it up.
Considering who it's coming from... seems a little dubious, no?

vanuck is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:02 PM
  #152
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,233
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I agree that buyouts are extreme and expensive but a player's value depends on the market. Yes, there may have been great offers on the table (I like the idea of Kadri having a fresh start in a place like Vancouver) but are they still in play? Has anything changed to shut the door on a trade right now?

Luongo's contract might make for an ugly buyout (IF it becomes an option) but it also makes for a difficult trade.
This buyout talk is nothing short of utterly ridiculous nonsense. Go back to 2011 and try to find one person talking about how bad the Luongo contract is. What you'll get is either people who are perfectly okay with it or other fans complaining that the Canucks were circumventing the cap. I mean really, the contract is good enough for a Stanley Cup contending team that's won back to back Presidents Trophy's and made it to game 7 of the finals. So all of a sudden it's not good enough for say a team that hasn't made the playoffs for 10 years largely because of crap goaltending? Really?

The only reason it's become an issue is because the emergence of Cory Schneider has given us two top starting goaltenders, so with one up for trade other fans will try to create and magnify any sort of perceived fault they can to lower the value for when they play armchair GM.

Regardless of all this though at the end of the day if you're going to suggest Luongo should be bought it then it's going to come down to asking our owner to pay about $30 million dollars up front to do so. How do you think that conversations going to go?

RandV is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:06 PM
  #153
Babs
Registered User
 
Babs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Considering who it's coming from... seems a little dubious, no?
Seriously! You can't make this **** up....wait...

Babs is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:07 PM
  #154
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain
 
The Kassian Train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,123
vCash: 500
MG apparently said he could trade Schneider can anyone confirm this?

As per Team1040

The Kassian Train is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:08 PM
  #155
thepuckmonster
professional winner
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
MG apparently said he could trade Schneider can anyone confirm this?

As per Team1040
He doesn't have an NTC/NMC so yes, he can be traded.

I think that's what they were likely referring to.

thepuckmonster is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:10 PM
  #156
roach9
Registered User
 
roach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,564
vCash: 500
I think that quote was taken out of context.
He said he hasn't entertained any offers for Schneider.

roach9 is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:11 PM
  #157
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
I'm on the ferry right now. We're about to dock. Some guy randomly shouted out "Lou's back in!" Some other guy randomly shouted back "Seriously? What the ****?". And a third guy chimed in with "What's the other guy's name again?"

ROFLcopter.

 
Old
01-31-2013, 04:17 PM
  #158
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,233
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLblue75 View Post
Lurking Leafs fan here.. I would have to assume that Kadri's emergence early on has (thankfully) lowered any chances of him being dealt. I also feel that Nonis will stick to the Reimer/Scrivens tandem for the time being. Scrivens has looked terrible, but Reimer has been solid so far.
This is actually a very one sided way of thinking. So Kadri is showing the kind of offensive potential that should be expected of his high draft position. Are you suggesting he would only be available from the Leafs if he was looking like a bust?

If he's looking like a 60-70 point player then that's exactly the type of guy Gillis should be after. This is Kadri's contract year anyways, so it's not like the Leafs are in a position to take advantage of competing with a productive ELC player in their top six.

Now if Kadri is someone that could be a franchise player then that's understandable. But the impression I'm more getting from Leaf fans is something like "OMG he's actually pretty good, we can't trade him now!"

Eventually Kadri's will grow older, his play/potential will level out, and your fans will start knit picking at whatever shortcomings he has. It happens to young players on every team. Does he really project to be a player that isn't worth trading a starting goalie for?

RandV is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:24 PM
  #159
theripper
Registered User
 
theripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I'm on the ferry right now. We're about to dock. Some guy randomly shouted out "Lou's back in!" Some other guy randomly shouted back "Seriously? What the ****?". And a third guy chimed in with "What's the other guy's name again?"

ROFLcopter.

hahahahhaha that's gold

theripper is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:31 PM
  #160
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,985
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
This buyout talk is nothing short of utterly ridiculous nonsense. Go back to 2011 and try to find one person talking about how bad the Luongo contract is. What you'll get is either people who are perfectly okay with it or other fans complaining that the Canucks were circumventing the cap. I mean really, the contract is good enough for a Stanley Cup contending team that's won back to back Presidents Trophy's and made it to game 7 of the finals. So all of a sudden it's not good enough for say a team that hasn't made the playoffs for 10 years largely because of crap goaltending? Really?

The only reason it's become an issue is because the emergence of Cory Schneider has given us two top starting goaltenders, so with one up for trade other fans will try to create and magnify any sort of perceived fault they can to lower the value for when they play armchair GM.

Regardless of all this though at the end of the day if you're going to suggest Luongo should be bought it then it's going to come down to asking our owner to pay about $30 million dollars up front to do so. How do you think that conversations going to go?
This. Armchair fans can try to shout down Canucks fans but I trust that GM's will know better. If it was so bad, why did the league punish these long-term, back-diving contracts?

vanuck is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:52 PM
  #161
PRNuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I'm on the ferry right now. We're about to dock. Some guy randomly shouted out "Lou's back in!" Some other guy randomly shouted back "Seriously? What the ****?". And a third guy chimed in with "What's the other guy's name again?"

ROFLcopter.
Hahaha, you know the third guy sits in the lower bowl and brings a tablet to the game.

PRNuck is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:54 PM
  #162
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Macleans knows PEI..and Kypreos did too much of this
Kypreos is the same clown who said that Luongo demanded a trade in his exit interview last year. Ever since, he has been one of Luongo's biggest critics and one of the harsher backers of "Luongo has no trade value" diatribes. Something tells me neither Luongo or Gillis leaked info to Kypper. He is an idiot.

Nash is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:58 PM
  #163
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I'm on the ferry right now. We're about to dock. Some guy randomly shouted out "Lou's back in!" Some other guy randomly shouted back "Seriously? What the ****?". And a third guy chimed in with "What's the other guy's name again?"

ROFLcopter.
The moral of the story: take Harbour Air or Heli.

craigcaulks* is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 05:13 PM
  #164
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I don't know - you'll have to ask MacLean and Kypreos as they're the ones who brought it up.
It's always easy spending other people's money isn't it though? Outside of maybe the Snyder or MSG, no owner is going to eat 40+ million dollars at once.

Barney Gumble is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 05:15 PM
  #165
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,635
vCash: 500
The value of Cory Schneider to the Canucks is not anything close to the value of $40 million dollars, Luongo, and the assets the team could acquire by trading Schneider. If Luongo becomes immovable, unless the team is insane they will trade Schneider long before buying out Luongo.

pitseleh is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 06:03 PM
  #166
The Moose
Registered User
 
The Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,233
vCash: 500
How's the Canucks salary cap situation for next year? Can they afford to keep both?

The Moose is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 06:05 PM
  #167
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Potato
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,983
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
How's the Canucks salary cap situation for next year? Can they afford to keep both?
Nope.
It's guaranteed that Luongo will be dealt before the start of next season.

If he isn't traded during this season, I'd expect him to be moved at the draft.

__________________

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 06:05 PM
  #168
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,921
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
How's the Canucks salary cap situation for next year? Can they afford to keep both?
Possible but unlikely and would mean sacrificing some depth. One goalie or the other will be traded before the end of next offseason.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 06:08 PM
  #169
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
How's the Canucks salary cap situation for next year? Can they afford to keep both?
These 2 aren't going to be ok going forward next year like this.

craigcaulks* is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 06:25 PM
  #170
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,725
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
How's the Canucks salary cap situation for next year? Can they afford to keep both?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Possible but unlikely and would mean sacrificing some depth. One goalie or the other will be traded before the end of next offseason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Nope.
It's guaranteed that Luongo will be dealt before the start of next season.

If he isn't traded during this season, I'd expect him to be moved at the draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
These 2 aren't going to be ok going forward next year like this.
It's theoretically possible, but we'd be salary dumping/compliance buy out-ing Booth and Ballard, who both contribute more. It wouldn't be a desirable outcome, but both still being here if Ballard/Booth/others being moved first offers a better return, then who knows. That being said, no movable piece on this roster would net an impact forward on an ELC or league minimum contract any easier then Luongo.

Cogburn is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 06:25 PM
  #171
NucksOnly
Go Whitecaps & Lions
 
NucksOnly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,016
vCash: 500
Props to who created title for this thread. I chuckled a bit.

NucksOnly is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 06:43 PM
  #172
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,233
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
How's the Canucks salary cap situation for next year? Can they afford to keep both?
It just wouldn't feel like the Canucks if we were going into a new season without being over the cap

RandV is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 06:51 PM
  #173
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,985
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by NucksOnly View Post
Props to who created title for this thread. I chuckled a bit.
I don't get it.

vanuck is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 07:02 PM
  #174
alternate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,889
vCash: 500
Seriously, every Luongo thread reinforces my belief that the average person needs to get a lot better at thinking.

alternate is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 07:05 PM
  #175
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1
 
John Swartzwelder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,359
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I don't get it.

John Swartzwelder is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.