HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Cory Who?

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I don't know - you'll have to ask MacLean and Kypreos as they're the ones who brought it up.
Considering who it's coming from... seems a little dubious, no?

Old
01-31-2013, 04:02 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
I agree that buyouts are extreme and expensive but a player's value depends on the market. Yes, there may have been great offers on the table (I like the idea of Kadri having a fresh start in a place like Vancouver) but are they still in play? Has anything changed to shut the door on a trade right now?

Luongo's contract might make for an ugly buyout (IF it becomes an option) but it also makes for a difficult trade.
This buyout talk is nothing short of utterly ridiculous nonsense. Go back to 2011 and try to find one person talking about how bad the Luongo contract is. What you'll get is either people who are perfectly okay with it or other fans complaining that the Canucks were circumventing the cap. I mean really, the contract is good enough for a Stanley Cup contending team that's won back to back Presidents Trophy's and made it to game 7 of the finals. So all of a sudden it's not good enough for say a team that hasn't made the playoffs for 10 years largely because of crap goaltending? Really?

The only reason it's become an issue is because the emergence of Cory Schneider has given us two top starting goaltenders, so with one up for trade other fans will try to create and magnify any sort of perceived fault they can to lower the value for when they play armchair GM.

Regardless of all this though at the end of the day if you're going to suggest Luongo should be bought it then it's going to come down to asking our owner to pay about $30 million dollars up front to do so. How do you think that conversations going to go?

Old
01-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Babs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Considering who it's coming from... seems a little dubious, no?
Seriously! You can't make this **** up....wait...

Old
01-31-2013, 04:07 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

MG apparently said he could trade Schneider can anyone confirm this?

As per Team1040

Old
01-31-2013, 04:08 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
MG apparently said he could trade Schneider can anyone confirm this?

As per Team1040
He doesn't have an NTC/NMC so yes, he can be traded.

I think that's what they were likely referring to.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:10 PM
roach9

I think that quote was taken out of context.
He said he hasn't entertained any offers for Schneider.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:11 PM
Dado

vCash:
I'm on the ferry right now. We're about to dock. Some guy randomly shouted out "Lou's back in!" Some other guy randomly shouted back "Seriously? What the ****?". And a third guy chimed in with "What's the other guy's name again?"

ROFLcopter.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:17 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLblue75 View Post
Lurking Leafs fan here.. I would have to assume that Kadri's emergence early on has (thankfully) lowered any chances of him being dealt. I also feel that Nonis will stick to the Reimer/Scrivens tandem for the time being. Scrivens has looked terrible, but Reimer has been solid so far.
This is actually a very one sided way of thinking. So Kadri is showing the kind of offensive potential that should be expected of his high draft position. Are you suggesting he would only be available from the Leafs if he was looking like a bust?

If he's looking like a 60-70 point player then that's exactly the type of guy Gillis should be after. This is Kadri's contract year anyways, so it's not like the Leafs are in a position to take advantage of competing with a productive ELC player in their top six.

Now if Kadri is someone that could be a franchise player then that's understandable. But the impression I'm more getting from Leaf fans is something like "OMG he's actually pretty good, we can't trade him now!"

Eventually Kadri's will grow older, his play/potential will level out, and your fans will start knit picking at whatever shortcomings he has. It happens to young players on every team. Does he really project to be a player that isn't worth trading a starting goalie for?

Old
01-31-2013, 04:24 PM
theripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I'm on the ferry right now. We're about to dock. Some guy randomly shouted out "Lou's back in!" Some other guy randomly shouted back "Seriously? What the ****?". And a third guy chimed in with "What's the other guy's name again?"

ROFLcopter.

hahahahhaha that's gold

Old
01-31-2013, 04:31 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
This buyout talk is nothing short of utterly ridiculous nonsense. Go back to 2011 and try to find one person talking about how bad the Luongo contract is. What you'll get is either people who are perfectly okay with it or other fans complaining that the Canucks were circumventing the cap. I mean really, the contract is good enough for a Stanley Cup contending team that's won back to back Presidents Trophy's and made it to game 7 of the finals. So all of a sudden it's not good enough for say a team that hasn't made the playoffs for 10 years largely because of crap goaltending? Really?

The only reason it's become an issue is because the emergence of Cory Schneider has given us two top starting goaltenders, so with one up for trade other fans will try to create and magnify any sort of perceived fault they can to lower the value for when they play armchair GM.

Regardless of all this though at the end of the day if you're going to suggest Luongo should be bought it then it's going to come down to asking our owner to pay about $30 million dollars up front to do so. How do you think that conversations going to go?
This. Armchair fans can try to shout down Canucks fans but I trust that GM's will know better. If it was so bad, why did the league punish these long-term, back-diving contracts?

Old
01-31-2013, 04:52 PM
PRNuck

Quote:

ROFLcopter.
Hahaha, you know the third guy sits in the lower bowl and brings a tablet to the game.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:54 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Macleans knows PEI..and Kypreos did too much of this
Kypreos is the same clown who said that Luongo demanded a trade in his exit interview last year. Ever since, he has been one of Luongo's biggest critics and one of the harsher backers of "Luongo has no trade value" diatribes. Something tells me neither Luongo or Gillis leaked info to Kypper. He is an idiot.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:58 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:

ROFLcopter.
The moral of the story: take Harbour Air or Heli.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:13 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
I don't know - you'll have to ask MacLean and Kypreos as they're the ones who brought it up.
It's always easy spending other people's money isn't it though? Outside of maybe the Snyder or MSG, no owner is going to eat 40+ million dollars at once.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:15 PM
pitseleh

The value of Cory Schneider to the Canucks is not anything close to the value of $40 million dollars, Luongo, and the assets the team could acquire by trading Schneider. If Luongo becomes immovable, unless the team is insane they will trade Schneider long before buying out Luongo.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:03 PM
The Moose

How's the Canucks salary cap situation for next year? Can they afford to keep both?

Old
01-31-2013, 06:05 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
How's the Canucks salary cap situation for next year? Can they afford to keep both?
Nope.
It's guaranteed that Luongo will be dealt before the start of next season.

If he isn't traded during this season, I'd expect him to be moved at the draft.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-31-2013, 06:05 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Possible but unlikely and would mean sacrificing some depth. One goalie or the other will be traded before the end of next offseason.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:08 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
These 2 aren't going to be ok going forward next year like this.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:25 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Possible but unlikely and would mean sacrificing some depth. One goalie or the other will be traded before the end of next offseason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Nope.
It's guaranteed that Luongo will be dealt before the start of next season.

If he isn't traded during this season, I'd expect him to be moved at the draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
These 2 aren't going to be ok going forward next year like this.
It's theoretically possible, but we'd be salary dumping/compliance buy out-ing Booth and Ballard, who both contribute more. It wouldn't be a desirable outcome, but both still being here if Ballard/Booth/others being moved first offers a better return, then who knows. That being said, no movable piece on this roster would net an impact forward on an ELC or league minimum contract any easier then Luongo.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:25 PM
NucksOnly
Go Whitecaps & Lions

Props to who created title for this thread. I chuckled a bit.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:43 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
It just wouldn't feel like the Canucks if we were going into a new season without being over the cap

Old
01-31-2013, 06:51 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by NucksOnly View Post
Props to who created title for this thread. I chuckled a bit.
I don't get it.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:02 PM
alternate

Seriously, every Luongo thread reinforces my belief that the average person needs to get a lot better at thinking.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:05 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I don't get it.

Closed Thread