HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League LIV

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 12:24 PM
tantalum

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
The lack of acceleration and defensive struggles are issues. Like you said, if Grigorenko gets better in the defensive zone, Hodgson would have to get bumped down. And at that point, it's the Roy situation all over again. They traded Roy for Ott to get that sand paper in their bottom 6, I'm not sure how Hodgson ending up there helps things. Would he not continue to get misused there too?

A more likely scenario is that Hodgson pushes Ennis to the wing on the 2nd line LW. I think they go that way first.
He absolutely would be miscast in a 3rd line role on the Sabres. They may move Ennis to the wing but what if Ennis is the better center (not sure he is at this point)? Hodgson without significant improvement to his defensive game is in a vulnerable position. The Sabres organization has Grigorenko which they clearly have high hopes for AND a second high draft pick center from last year in Girgensons who is finding his way in pro hockey right now. Girgensons isn't competition for Hodgson yet but he may be in short order. When you throw the competition of Ennis at the same position I think you have a situation where Hodgson has to improve these aspects to his game over the next calendar year or he very much risks falling in the depth chart.

Now as you say, guys can get moved the the wings but typically you aren't moving the 6' 3" guys from center to the wing to make room for the 5' 10" guy (I don't believe he's 6' as listed but might be wrong).

Again, Hodgson is very talented. A very smart player as well IMO. But his mobility and defensive limitations and how he deals with/improves those aspects are what are likely to determine his ceiling. Is he a solid player that everybody would like on their team or is he a guy who can put up points but you ultimately don't win with? I don't have the impression that so far in his pro-career that he recognizes that those are the things he needs to address to be the impact player he wants to be.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:18 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

^ Ennis has been a better winger than center over his career so far, no?

But yeah, Coho will have Grigorenko and Girgensons looming in the rear-view mirror. Can his defense improve enough over the next few years for him to secure that position? What happens even if he just loses the No. 1 center spot to Grigorenko and becomes the 2C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Looks like the Coyotes are going to be on the move.

https://twitter.com/dshoalts/status/297016778649907200
Heh... never really quite bought it, that Jamison was going to buy the team what with all the delays it took. Would love to see them move to Quebec.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:37 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
^ Ennis has been a better winger than center over his career so far, no?
I don't disagree. But can he become a better center than Hodgson (i believe he's only 6 months older than Hodgson)? How does the team decide to use them if that's the case?

Quote:
But yeah, Coho will have Grigorenko and Girgensons looming in the rear-view mirror. Can his defense improve enough over the next few years for him to secure that position? What happens even if he just loses the No. 1 center spot to Grigorenko and becomes the 2C?
That's the thing, he (apparently) didn't like the lack of ice time and being stuck behind Sedin and Kesler on the canucks. It may come to pass that a year or so down the road he finds himself in a similar situation with the Sabres. I'm just trying to look at it like most teams seem to look at it....you have four young center all under the age of 24. Two of them are not big. Two are 6' 3". The big guys aren't going to be moved to the wing unless the Sabres go against traditional thinking. So let's say Ennis moves to the wing. You still need Hodgson to be on the top 2 lines IF his defense remains sub-par. If Grig and Girg are developing into better all round players they are going to win those spots. It leaves Cody SOL if he can't play the wing (so far he can't).

To be sure, there are a lot of "ifs" in the scenario but those ifs are not really dependent on whether Hodgson can provide offense. That is almost a surety. They are dependent on the aspects he struggles with. He needs to address them. Because you have to think the Sabres are salivating at the thought of rebuilding center ice around Grig and Girg. I think most teams would be. If that center ice rebuild happens I find it hard to find a place for a defensively sub-par Hodgson.

Personally, I like the kind of player Hodgson could become (who wouldn't?). He's talented. I really do wish him the best but an undersized, slower center is a hard road to go down in the NHL. Heck, talented power forward is just as hard if not harder but the canucks needed that aspect in the system and Hodgson was the choice to go (especially if he really was annoying the organization).

Last edited by tantalum: 01-31-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 02:50 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

^ How soon till he's shipped to a team like CBJ

Old
01-31-2013, 03:08 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
I don't disagree. But can he become a better center than Hodgson (i believe he's only 6 months older than Hodgson)? How does the team decide to use them if that's the case?
Maybe both he and Ennis will end up as LW and RW eventually.

I don't know if you can have a C who leaks opportunities against like that and still expect to make the playoffs, let alone contend. Unless they plan on sheltering him all the time even at 5 on 5?

Quote:
That's the thing, he (apparently) didn't like the lack of ice time and being stuck behind Sedin and Kesler on the canucks. It may come to pass that a year or so down the road he finds himself in a similar situation with the Sabres.
If so... how bad would that look if he's down the depth chart again and he's traded again because of his dad stepping in?

Old
01-31-2013, 03:14 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
That's the thing, he (apparently) didn't like the lack of ice time and being stuck behind Sedin and Kesler on the canucks. It may come to pass that a year or so down the road he finds himself in a similar situation with the Sabres. I'm just trying to look at it like most teams seem to look at it....you have four young center all under the age of 24. Two of them are not big. Two are 6' 3". The big guys aren't going to be moved to the wing unless the Sabres go against traditional thinking. So let's say Ennis moves to the wing. You still need Hodgson to be on the top 2 lines IF his defense remains sub-par. If Grig and Girg are developing into better all round players they are going to win those spots. It leaves Cody SOL if he can't play the wing (so far he can't).

To be sure, there are a lot of "ifs" in the scenario but those ifs are not really dependent on whether Hodgson can provide offense. That is almost a surety. They are dependent on the aspects he struggles with. He needs to address them. Because you have to think the Sabres are salivating at the thought of rebuilding center ice around Grig and Girg. I think most teams would be. If that center ice rebuild happens I find it hard to find a place for a defensively sub-par Hodgson.

Personally, I like the kind of player Hodgson could become (who wouldn't?). He's talented. I really do wish him the best but an undersized, slower center is a hard road to go down in the NHL. Heck, talented power forward is just as hard if not harder but the canucks needed that aspect in the system and Hodgson was the choice to go (especially if he really was annoying the organization).

They'll just push Ennis to wing, even if he would be a better centre than Hodgson. I don't think it's as dire a situation forcing Hodgson off the team, but they would be more attentive to offers should any good ones come their way.

He's fine as long as they are OK with pushing Ennis to the wing. Otherwise, they'll treat him like Roy and deal for a weakness.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:01 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
They'll just push Ennis to wing, even if he would be a better centre than Hodgson. I don't think it's as dire a situation forcing Hodgson off the team, but they would be more attentive to offers should any good ones come their way.

He's fine as long as they are OK with pushing Ennis to the wing. Otherwise, they'll treat him like Roy and deal for a weakness.
if they were to draft top 5 and got someone like Barkov....

Barkov, grig, girg, Ennis, Hodgson

[Insert trade demands here]

Old
01-31-2013, 06:14 PM
StringerBell

John Scott just TUNED Scotty Thornton. Jack Edwards called him a goon after

Old
01-31-2013, 06:34 PM
vanwest

Washington has 5 penalties about half way through the first period against Toronto.
This team is a train wreck. Oates may be gone soon.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:44 PM
Results
Can't Be Argued With

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Washington has 5 penalties about half way through the first period against Toronto.
This team is a train wreck. Oates may be gone soon.
He's also come up with the brilliant Ovechkin/Beagle/Crabb line.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:47 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardok View Post
He's also come up with the brilliant Ovechkin/Beagle/Crabb line.
Ovy playing with a dog and a crustacean!
Sounds like a can't miss line.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:48 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
John Scott just TUNED Scotty Thornton. Jack Edwards called him a goon after
Is he wrong?

That was a serious beatdown. I don't think Thornton knew where he was after.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:56 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Edwards doesn't like the shoe on the foot.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:05 PM
Hodgy

Hodgson with a great pass to Vanek on a 2-on-1.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:05 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Is he wrong?

That was a serious beatdown. I don't think Thornton knew where he was after.
Nope. Just funny to hear.

Hodgson just set up Vanek for 1 timer goal on the open net. 1-0 Buffalo.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:15 PM
Pseudonymous

ugh come on buffalo. miller needs to track marchand better than that while cutting across

their D shouldn't allow for that either.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:15 PM
StringerBell

Damn, Marchand just scored a pretty nice goal. Hate that guy.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:16 PM
Hodgy

Buffalo is absolutely terrible defensively, and it really isn't just Hodgson. Myers and Leopold get absolutely walked by the rat.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:16 PM
Tiranis

Hodgson was pretty guilty on that first goal though. On for 2GA in this game now. His horrible record continues.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:17 PM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
Hodgson -1 on the 2-1 goal

Old
01-31-2013, 07:19 PM
StringerBell

Buffalo's fallen apart here. Need another fight to get the momentum back.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:20 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Buffalo is absolutely terrible defensively, and it really isn't just Hodgson. Myers and Leopold get absolutely walked by the rat.
alot of buffalo fans aren't happy with myers. he hasn't been playing to his potential for a long time now so i hear. shame

Old
01-31-2013, 07:21 PM
Wellwood You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Pretty easy to point the finger at Hodgson for the first Bruins goal though.

You get the good, you get the bad...

Old
01-31-2013, 07:26 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Hodgson was pretty guilty on that first goal though. On for 2GA in this game now. His horrible record continues.
They need that Swedish +/- system where they list GF and GA instead of just combined.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:27 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellwood You View Post
Pretty easy to point the finger at Hodgson for the first Bruins goal though.

You get the good, you get the bad...
Was that not the one where Sulzer coughed it up try to get it out of the zone? And then Hodgson tried to glove it but missed it? Because if so, Sulzer's error was more egregious IMO.

Closed Thread