Old
01-31-2013, 11:45 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
My favorite draft day quote from Wild fans that I see EVERY year is:

"The Wild should've traded down!!!!"

Two things:

- Let's say the Wild would've liked to move down...it's not as simple as that, you need to find another team that is willing to trade up. Never as simple as it sounds.

- What if the Wild got the player they coveted at the spot they felt he should've been taken? It's not like the Wild (or any other team) pay attention to mock drafts like the fans do. They rank their own players and have their own board that may not look anything like the thousands of mock drafts out here on the Web.

I get that Wild fans feel burned by the ineptitude of Riser/TT....but GMCF has definitely earned my trust with his past few drafts....but I'm sure we'll see this same quote come this June's draft....I can't wait.

LOL.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:07 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utterly Disgusting View Post
Yeah, I was at the draft and was just surprised by the pick. I tried to do research beforehand so when they said Brodin, I just couldn't remember reading about him.

I really wanted Dougie Hamilton or Sean Couturier. So I was pretty pissed off at the draft when they went right before our pick. But after reading about Brodin after the draft, reading about his development, and watching him in the AHL and NHL, I'd be lying if I didn't say it worked out for the best.

"That's why you don't trade up!" Anytime I look back on the draft experience, I remember that quote from Becoming Wild.
I love Brodin...

But I definitely wouldn't have been disappointed with Hamilton or Couturier. Good picks by you.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
So, yeah, Brodin has ramped up to being "NHL-ready" in 3 games. That's kind of freaking amazing.

He was fantastic last night. Is it too early to just write him in as our #2 Dman for....well....a really long freaking time?

I am feeling really good about our defense right now.
I think a lot of us were writing him in as a #2, just didn't expect it in 2013

Old
01-31-2013, 01:54 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=657

so, are 4 NHL games enough instead?
enough time? They'd still end up being right though if game 8 he breaks in half, so you run the risk of looking like Oiler Nation does before every season starts...

I was never down on the kid, because i trust who I got my info from.

given how Hamilton has looked thusfar, I don't think anyone would be devastated right now had we went that direction, either.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:23 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Dare I ask the question: Brodin, Hamilton, or Couturier?

I would take Brodin right now but all three are VERY close and will have great careers IMO.

Last edited by Jaykay: 01-31-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 02:26 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I don't take a defenseman in the last two drafts over Brodin. And the only players I like over Brodin in his draft year is Landeskog and RNH. Granted, I'm a homer, but still.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
01-31-2013, 04:31 PM
IAGTTAYM

vCash: 333
Brodin looking good so far, doing what he has been doing since he broke through for Färjestad.

Also managed to read part one in op, and wow, there is some downright stupid comments post draft. I recommend reading it again, because it should tell you something about forming a judgement based on stats, height and weight. LemaireisGOD, being a champion at just that.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:06 PM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en
not to be a jerk but I still got $50 that says he never makes it to the NHL besides a call up. At least not for the Wild..
This is definitely my favorite post, maybe all-time top5 post.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:10 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Here's another good one from Dampland:

Quote:
Can't believe we didn't trade down

I would have rather taken Duncan Siemens instead of this wimp from Sweden.

I've always been a Fletcher supporter. Starting to change my opinion now.

So freaking disappointed. WOW, waiting all these months for this incredible letdown.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:11 PM
Dee Oh Cee

hahahha good god. I actually don't mind people with strong opinions...but they better be able to admit that they were wrong.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:17 PM
Wasted Talent

vCash: 883
What if we all have been misled by a false prophecy all along? What if it's the Swedish Baby Jesus who saves us all?

Old
01-31-2013, 06:22 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Another thing hasn't been mentioned all that much lately which makes his performance even more incredible is that he was out for multiple months with an injury. A lot has been made about how he is only 19 and has worked his way up to the top pairing but it's even more impressive when you consider that he was not playing hockey until a few weeks ago and only played 1 game with Houston before stepping in with the Wild.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:25 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I think a lot of us were writing him in as a #2, just didn't expect it in 2013
I thought he'd be a 2nd pairing guys this year.. but top pairing right out of the gate?! I don't think ANYONE saw that coming! Brodin is indeed Lidstrom lite!

Old
01-31-2013, 07:20 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Wow, people get downright insufferable when they're proven right on something.

Honestly, this is now just a ********** of people who guessed right on Brodin. No need to stuff the crow on everyone's face.

01-31-2013, 07:37 PM
MK9

I really didn't have any expectations. I had no clue who he was. Guess I can't remember being overly bothered by the pick though. With having little to no expectations good or bad, I can say I've been very pleasantly surprised.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:37 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post

Honestly, this is now just a ********** of people who guessed right on Brodin. No need to stuff the crow on everyone's face.
No less insufferable than those that trashed the pick two minutes after it was made.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:57 PM
IAGTTAYM

vCash: 333
Quote:

Uh, go ahead and read some of the posts from part one. They really deserve it. What they where spouting was ridiculous back then, never mind now with the benefit of hindsight.

The point is simple: Forming an extremely negative opinion on a 17/18-year old, that you barely seen play, going by stats, height/weight and a 40 word summary/rating from some scouting service, is just plain stupid.

And I don't mind strong opinions, and being wrong about stuff is normal. But come on, use common sense.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:21 PM
Dampland
Overly Moderated

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
I'm pretty sure I was pissed at the pick. Then SouthSwe came and I was a little happier. Then i saw him at the WJC and I was sold.
I totally hated the Brodin pick at first, because I couldn't believe we didn't go for a goal scoring forward instead.

Then months later I saw somw game footage of him, and thought "hmmm maybe he's ok" but then last season I saw, read, followed so much more about him, and I felt much better; except worried about his size.

Thus far he doesn't seem to get thrown around too much, and his smarts help him out of most situations anyways. I'm not ready to crown him Brian Leach Jr., but I am getting to be more and more of a fan of his with each game.

If you look back at the draft thread - I will admit that I was wrong about Bacon at first. "GO BRO !"

Old
01-31-2013, 09:31 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Great tags BTW.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Dampland
Overly Moderated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Here's another good one from Dampland:
YEP - that was me ... I was so shocked we went Defense instead of offense, and when I saw Brodin's height/weight I was like great, another non-physical D-man, (because we were back then, and still some nowdays; letting our goalies get smacked on, rushed, and abused everynight. I can't stand watching D-men just stand there and watch an opponent camp right in the slot without any retribution.)

SO when I heard D-man who was not physical, I was not pleased, and regarding Duncan Siemens, he was at the time a decently ranked prospect who could play with some grit.

Was I wrong? You bet I was.

But that is the fun, and sometimes embarrassing thing about message boards like this ...we all can share our opinions/viewpoints, etc. (even if we end up being wrong)

PS - Granlund sucks

Old
01-31-2013, 10:19 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAGTTAYM View Post
Uh, go ahead and read some of the posts from part one. They really deserve it.
Well, then you can PM them about it at laugh all you want. If I see a new post on this thread, I expect it to be related to Jonas Brodin, perhaps a news piece on him or someone's take on his progress. I don't want to see a bunch of bickering about people's negative views on a recently-drafted prospect.

I think I'm right in saying nobody expected what we've seen from Bacon, not this soon. Furthermore, everyone is allowed to have their opinion. It's not like draft day predictions even matter. When a prospect is drafted, all most of us know about him is his size, stats and some scouting reports, maybe describing his style of play and his strengths and weaknesses. A 17-year old puck-moving D with good mobility and awareness, yet an unimpressive statline? You bet people are not satisfied. Not until they saw him and heard some first-hand scouting reports. Some were hoping that Flahr really knew what he was doing, others were disappointed (as said before) that we didn't get Couturier or Hamilton.

All of that happened almost two years ago. It's not relevant anymore. Things get heated in sports, and as I said above, draft picks can create a lot of controversy around the fanbase. Hell, if you want a good example, look at Mikael Granlund. Hailed as the Finnish Baby Jesus by just about everyone about two weeks ago, and now the same people want to send him down.

It's all about credibility, isn't it? Everyone loves to say "I told you so". Take a look at that guy in the MG thread. I don't even remember his name, just some nobody who came here to gloat about lucking out on some half-arsed prediction made 3 years ago. Trying to shove crow into everyone's face, laughing at our "misfortune". I thought the rest of you were above it.

Apparently not. You're* no different from a bunch of schoolyard bullies, reminding their subject every day about a mistake he/she made that is no longer even relevant.

Grow up.

*As a group, not referring to you personally.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:25 PM
State of Hockey

All along Brodin has been hailed as having all the defensive tools. Great. He's showing us what we knew. I'll reserve a verdict until two things happen.

1) That he's not another rookie defensemen with a hot start that disappoints soon after.

2) He shows a strong offensive game, which is what you hope to get a piece of with #10 overall. This game is still won by scoring more goals than the opponent.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:43 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
All along Brodin has been hailed as having all the defensive tools. Great. He's showing us what we knew. I'll reserve a verdict until two things happen.

1) That he's not another rookie defensemen with a hot start that disappoints soon after.

2) He shows a strong offensive game, which is what you hope to get a piece of with #10 overall. This game is still won by scoring more goals than the opponent.
True, but part of that equation is keeping the opponent from scoring goals on you.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:12 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Well, then you can PM them about it at laugh all you want. If I see a new post on this thread, I expect it to be related to Jonas Brodin, perhaps a news piece on him or someone's take on his progress. I don't want to see a bunch of bickering about people's negative views on a recently-drafted prospect.

I think I'm right in saying nobody expected what we've seen from Bacon, not this soon. Furthermore, everyone is allowed to have their opinion. It's not like draft day predictions even matter. When a prospect is drafted, all most of us know about him is his size, stats and some scouting reports, maybe describing his style of play and his strengths and weaknesses. A 17-year old puck-moving D with good mobility and awareness, yet an unimpressive statline? You bet people are not satisfied. Not until they saw him and heard some first-hand scouting reports. Some were hoping that Flahr really knew what he was doing, others were disappointed (as said before) that we didn't get Couturier or Hamilton.

All of that happened almost two years ago. It's not relevant anymore. Things get heated in sports, and as I said above, draft picks can create a lot of controversy around the fanbase. Hell, if you want a good example, look at Mikael Granlund. Hailed as the Finnish Baby Jesus by just about everyone about two weeks ago, and now the same people want to send him down.

It's all about credibility, isn't it? Everyone loves to say "I told you so". Take a look at that guy in the MG thread. I don't even remember his name, just some nobody who came here to gloat about lucking out on some half-arsed prediction made 3 years ago. Trying to shove crow into everyone's face, laughing at our "misfortune". I thought the rest of you were above it.

Apparently not. You're* no different from a bunch of schoolyard bullies, reminding their subject every day about a mistake he/she made that is no longer even relevant.

Grow up.

*As a group, not referring to you personally.
Its funny too look back on what people said immediately following the pick.Why do you have a stick up your ass? Let me guess its cus the Swede is blowing the Finn out of the water.

Last edited by Randy BoBandy: 02-01-2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: fixed it so people don't get mad at spelling errors or my grammar...
Old
01-31-2013, 11:19 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post

One of these days, I'm going to trick you into saying something positive. You're not even going know it's happening, and then you'll read the screen and be like, "****, where did that come from?"

Only a matter of time...

Closed Thread