Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 07:54 AM
Nbr-17

vCash: 500
When will the 2013 draft be?
I tried to find it online, but was unsuccesful.
Thanks.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontohockey View Post
Too many self promoters and pretenders on the site lately. Not much fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
You noticed?!? lol
With the 94's it was great. Has fallen since then.

I made the same mention last year and got accosted by a regular poster for suggesting parents/friends where promoting lol. Happy to see im not the only one who sees it

Old
01-29-2013, 09:13 AM
pinkfloyd44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
When will the 2013 draft be?
I tried to find it online, but was unsuccesful.
Thanks.
Saturday, April 6th

Old
01-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutReel65 View Post
What do you guys think about for the bigger boys? For example from London - House, Fox, Brulotte. All big boys that can go to the dirty areas and with some good skill. Where would they rank?
To tack onto this, what about #2 on Halton. I think his name is Rapp? He looked like he was about 250lbs!

Old
01-30-2013, 11:59 PM
inthekknow

Do not understand the hype on Lafontaine. Watched him all year. Playing with confidence but his skills are not above the real top targets in the league. Just dont get it.
Schlichting has great skills and size but not sure he reads the game well as others. Has not improved in this area since peewee. Will struggle against the higher competition at the next level but will be playing in the O next year. Will be a long year but none the less he will be better off for it.
Defarous on the other hand is not ready for the

Old
01-31-2013, 12:04 AM
inthekknow

Sorry. Defarious on the other hand is not ready for the O next year but has much more upside. Much better skater, reads ice very well and will get stronger. Has not developed as much as he could have being with same coach for a number of years. It actually has hurt him but with proper coaching at next level will propel him after a season in tier 2.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:44 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthekknow View Post
Sorry. Defarious on the other hand is not ready for the O next year but has much more upside. Much better skater, reads ice very well and will get stronger. Has not developed as much as he could have being with same coach for a number of years. It actually has hurt him but with proper coaching at next level will propel him after a season in tier 2.
DeFarias is a very good player. Excellent skater, responsible in his end, I don't think he will get any taller but should fill out more. Definately has OHL tools, size and strength is the issue.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Hockeyplayer9723

Any good prospects from the us for this years draft?

Old
01-31-2013, 12:39 PM
GoalieGuy35

OHL Cup

Does anybody want to take a stab at positions for OHL cup? Who makes it through play offs, who gets wild cards? What leagues deserve wild cards? I don't know all of the details regarding it, but this is a basic assumption of mine:

GTHL (Champs and finalists): Marlies, Rebels

OMHA (Kind of confused on how many teams from SCTA and ETA come out of this): Oakville, YSE

ODMHA: Ottawa Sens, Eastern Ontario (although I think there are far better teams)

Alliance: EMC, Waterloo/HP (Windsor and HP will be tight, and Kitch looks to upset London Gold, along with Waterloo over SC... interesting play offs)

NOHA: Representative could be stronger this year with Speers, and Lizotte as two top end prospects

USA Teams: TPH and whoever else, unsure of US teams

Notables:
GTHL- Jr. C's and Red Wings with high end prospects, at least one if not both claim wild cards. Titans may get look for Timpano, Flyers as well (not for Lafontaine).
OMHA- Whitby, Barrie, STA, all have possibilities of claiming wild card spots. Strong goaltending on all teams, offensive talent with good shut down games.
ODMHA- I don't see any teams gaining wild card spots, with closest being Upper Canada
Alliance- Strong performers this year. If upsets occur, there are HP, Sun County, and Gold all possible wild card considerations. I see two wild cards going to this league.

Twenty Teams: Marlies, Rebs, Jr. C's, Red Wings, Oakville, YSE, Ott Sens, EO Wild, EMC, Waterloo, TPH, (other USA), NOHA, Barrie, STA, London Gold, Huron Perth, Upper Canada, two of: Sun County/Toronto Titans/Whitby

Old
01-31-2013, 07:31 PM
nickels

You need to add Thunder Bay

Old
01-31-2013, 09:39 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthekknow View Post
I agree Defarius is not quite ready. His skating is OHL ready, his size isnt quite there yet. As far as Defarius having much more upside than Schlichting, Im not so sure any Ohl Gm feels that way. Without gaining strength, dealing with big physical OHL forecheckers, defeating the cycle game will be a handful for him. For me the star on the Marlies D core is Jordan Maclean. Maclean shines behind the net and in the corners. Other areas to his game are raw, I like his potential for catching up to players in the future, who may appear to have more skill than him right now.

Schlichting looks like a future NHL player. His size is very appealing and Schlichting skates very well for a big man, has a bomb from the point. He plays a safe, calm game. His temperment and calmness reminds me of a certain Sun County Dman a few years ago.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:51 PM
mapleleaf979

Depending on what team selects Defarius, I could see him also playing a depth role on the 5-6 D pairing with a 19 yr old who's job is to dig pucks out and give it to Defarius to skate the puck out of trouble or distribute the puck up the ice. Gaining 10-15 pounds of good muscle will go along way for him at camp. Also he can play the PP quite well. Second unit PP will be in his future at some point. At least as a 17 yr old he should be there and play a nice role. Its all about what the team thinks is best for his development at camp. If he appears to be struggling, maybe let him play ojhl for a year and build him from there. Give him some AP games too.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Torts

wouldnt Compuware be a sure invite to OHL cup?????

Old
02-01-2013, 01:42 PM
doogie24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
wouldnt Compuware be a sure invite to OHL cup?????
yes, but they will be in the middle of state/national championships.

Happens every year to the top US teams, which is a shame.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:17 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie24 View Post
yes, but they will be in the middle of state/national championships.

Happens every year to the top US teams, which is a shame.
Ya and to me its kind of pointless to rank a team for the OHL cup unless they are represented at that tourney. I think this OHL cup will be very entertaining though, last year it was basically known that the Marlboros and Rebels would meet in the finals. This year, who knows.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:35 PM
GoalieGuy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
You need to add Thunder Bay
Does Thunder Bay make it just due to proximity? Because they certainly should not be added based on a calibre... Once again, not sure about how the Northern and US teams work. I know most wild card teams are picked based on a mixture of prospects and success, which is why Red Wings, Titans, Huron Perth, Sun County, and STA are strong possibilities.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Ya and to me its kind of pointless to rank a team for the OHL cup unless they are represented at that tourney. I think this OHL cup will be very entertaining though, last year it was basically known that the Marlboros and Rebels would meet in the finals. This year, who knows.
i know next to nothing other than top teams and top players but i figure itll be a Marlies vs Oakville final.

any other teams that have surprised of late?

Old
02-02-2013, 01:45 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
i know next to nothing other than top teams and top players but i figure itll be a Marlies vs Oakville final.

any other teams that have surprised of late?
Oakville if they all play to there capabilites, should contend
York Simcoe Express with a healthy roster should contend
Mississauga Rebels if they get 2 goals its very hard to comeback on this team, tight defensively
Toronto Marlboros if all there players play to there level, there depth will beat teams and contend
Elgin Middlesex, London Gold, Soo Thunder have a outside chance.
A roster full of American All Stars depending who comes over, could be very dangerous.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Chris Phifer
Hockey's Future Staff

Has anyone seen much of the Upper Canada Cyclones this year?
Any guys off that team expected to go in the OHL draft this summer?

Old
02-04-2013, 12:46 PM
no Gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalieGuy35 View Post
Does Thunder Bay make it just due to proximity? Because they certainly should not be added based on a calibre... Once again, not sure about how the Northern and US teams work. I know most wild card teams are picked based on a mixture of prospects and success, which is why Red Wings, Titans, Huron Perth, Sun County, and STA are strong possibilities.
They do have an automatic spot but having said that, they won the Brantford tourney, were competitive at Marlies and then had a poor showing in Peterborough. They also have some good prospects.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKilledThePromQueen View Post
Has anyone seen much of the Upper Canada Cyclones this year?
Any guys off that team expected to go in the OHL draft this summer?
There are a few that I would say would be a surprise not to be picked which are which are Doef, McDonald & Shankar, others with a good chance are Lawson and Wichers IMO.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:43 PM
doogie24

Jr Knights Gold lost in the quarter finals of the Alliance playoffs to Kitchener. Big upset.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie24 View Post
Jr Knights Gold lost in the quarter finals of the Alliance playoffs to Kitchener. Big upset.
Big upset, but not overly surprising.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:17 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Big upset, but not overly surprising.
I agree. One thing that I saw with this team was poor goaltenders. Both are massive and have very slow movements. I also think Elgin Middlesex in close games struggles with a similar goaltending problem. Fazio rebound control needs more developing.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:24 PM
GoalieGuy35

All four teams remaining in the Alliance have strong goaltending, and is a reason for their over all team success. Expect low scoring games throughout these series'. Kitchener has large advantage with Crouse suspended for first three games.

Closed Thread