HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

MacKinnon vs Drouin

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2013, 12:06 PM
  #51
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job
 
Leafs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond Hill
Country: Romania
Posts: 4,633
vCash: 500
Mack seems like the more safe pick

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:13 PM
  #52
Anth93
Registered User
 
Anth93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
If Mac didn't have the ability to completely blow by defenders, I'd probably go with Drouin.. But every time you watch him do it, you get shivers. A really special quality for a C who can defend to his level.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:20 PM
  #53
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
? Lol.
Yea thought so.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:42 PM
  #54
Stoneberg
Bored
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,672
vCash: 500
As a season ticket holder I've seen both plenty over the last two years. You can talk about vision and IQ all you want but I have absolutely no doubt that Mackinnon is the better package and will have more impact at the NHL level. Honestly I think Drouin has slightly better hands and that's it. I've seen poor decision making from both of them, especially Drouin post-WJCs.

I love how Drouin gets credit for his vision when he finds the wide open trailer on the rush (obvious play) because two defenders have committed to covering Mackinnon (who has probably skated by at least 2 opposing players and a teammate to join the rush) on the way to the net, for example.

Stoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:52 PM
  #55
1972
"Craigs on it"
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,553
vCash: 500
I wouldn't even consider taking Drouin over MacKinnon.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:56 PM
  #56
Auzzie19
Registered User
 
Auzzie19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The North
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
If Mac didn't have the ability to completely blow by defenders, I'd probably go with Drouin.. But every time you watch him do it, you get shivers. A really special quality for a C who can defend to his level.
^ THIS, MacKinnon is a class above Drouin.

1. Jones - MacKinnon
2. Barkov (could see him compete for #1, gonna play for Fin national team in WHC)
3. Drouin (love the skill, but reminds me of Huberdeau, physically imature)

Monohan
Nichushkin
Zardov
Lindholm
Shinkaruk

Auzzie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:20 PM
  #57
NS Bluenoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
If Mac didn't have the ability to completely blow by defenders, I'd probably go with Drouin.. But every time you watch him do it, you get shivers. A really special quality for a C who can defend to his level.
Good point. He often looks like he hit "speed burst" in an NHL video game when he comes up ice. His explosiveness is rare. Even the small bursts that don`t lead to any goals are fun to watch, coming off the boards, spinning off a defender etc. He makes even the best defenders look like they are 3rd pairing defensemen trying to contain him at times.

Someone mentioned somewhere else about how he is too fast for his linemates lol.... this sounds silly, but it`s true. When he takes the pass inside his own blueline and speeds up ice, everyone is late getting to the zone. He often has to coast to let his linemates get up in the play. Not saying its everyone else`s fault that he tries too many individual rushes, but there are many times he glances to his side and sees nobody, so he tries to take it in deep/to the net himself to a fault at times.

His finish has been lacking since world juniors though. His shots are firing high, and while he`s been robbed by the glove a few times, "old" MacKinnon`s shots were barely being seen let alone stopped. He is creating tons of chances but not putting the puck in like he can. He used to be the guy that if he got a good scoring chance it went in. Now he is getting lots of great chances, and not scoring. Guess thats how it goes sometimes.

NS Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:31 PM
  #58
hab 4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montréal, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Yea thought so.
I just don't think that you know what you are talking about. First your description of what vision/hockey IQ showed that you can't differentiate it from creativity. Secondly, you said that MacKinnon had a better hockey IQ than Drouin (which he does not even though MacKinnon has very good hockey IQ too) and when I told you would not find a coach/scout/executive to prove your point you said I could not to prove mine either. Then, when I did quite easily you said that a coach saying Drouin has "best IQ he ever coached against in this league" did not mean he was saying Drouin had higher IQ than his linemate MacKinnon (LOL).

As for your Crosby comment, it is possible Tourigny lacked perspective in his excitement to praise Drouin (Crosby last played in the QMJHL in April 2005 after all). That being said, when he praised a player as the "highest IQ he ever coached against", he referred to Drouin, not his linemate MacKinnon. Besides, if you do basic research on these prospects, you will see that Drouin is recognized has having the best IQ of the two, perhaps even the best hockey IQ amongst draft eligible forwards this year.

Pretending that MacKinnon has better hockey IQ than Drouin is nearly as ridiculous as pretending that Drouin is a better skater than MacKinnon. The thing is that the casual, more or less knowledgeable hockey fan can see who skates better but can't determine who has hockey IQ as easily.

And I'm still on the MacKinnon is slightly better than Drouin bandwagon for the record. I am just saying Drouin has better hockey IQ, which is far from a revolutionnary opinion in hockey circles.

Yeah. I thought so.

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:30 PM
  #59
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
I think this whole argument is silly ... Most don't need a scouts opinion or report to see the difference in "IQ". Just watch them play ... You'll see how Drouin finds players that you from the stand didn't even see, and how he can slow the game down and view the ice so well... That's not a knock on MacKinnon, he's still great in that regard, but Drouin's claim to fame after his hands is his exceptional sense, no question better ..... Just watch them play.

I don't think the edge in vision and hands elevates Drouin above MacKinnon even outplaying him for the majority of the season ... MacKinnon looks like he'll adapt better, and is in better condition (playing style) to be picked higher, and "make it" quicker.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:37 PM
  #60
hab 4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montréal, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
I think this whole argument is silly ... Most don't need a scouts opinion or report to see the difference in "IQ". Just watch them play ... You'll see how Drouin finds players that you from the stand didn't even see, and how he can slow the game down and view the ice so well... That's not a knock on MacKinnon, he's still great in that regard, but Drouin's claim to fame after his hands is his exceptional sense, no question better ..... Just watch them play.
This is exactly what I've been saying. Agreed 100%.

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:01 AM
  #61
hab 4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montréal, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Yea thought so.
On the TSN midseason draft special tonight, who was chosen as best hockey IQ in the entire draft? Jonathan Drouin...

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:03 AM
  #62
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march
 
PensBandwagonerNo272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,273
vCash: 500
I wonder how many people debating the two have seen them play outside the WJC's?

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:59 AM
  #63
Count Von Grabo*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Halifax
Posts: 980
vCash: 500
I'd take Mackinnon in a heartbeat.

Drouin is a great player too.

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:03 AM
  #64
Elever
Hth
 
Elever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,484
vCash: 500
Little acting debut/cameo by MacKinnon on Mr. D last night.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:02 AM
  #65
Hutz
Classless User
 
Hutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Little acting debut/cameo by MacKinnon on Mr. D last night.
Didn't realize that show was back on, thanks!

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:12 AM
  #66
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
On the TSN midseason draft special tonight, who was chosen as best hockey IQ in the entire draft? Jonathan Drouin...
Ya whatever, guy who picks what arguments support his hypothesis and none of the ones that don't.

Don't see where it says he's the smartest unless it was in video + according you your logic Drouin is smarter than Crosby. Oh wait, you made up a half baked excuse for that one.

And Giroux too*

Guess you also believe HFboards should close down because why even offer a POV when you can google what other people think and repeat it like a mindless robot.

cya


Last edited by GM17*: 01-31-2013 at 10:06 AM.
GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:28 AM
  #67
Spectra
Registered boozer
 
Spectra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Seriously, every GM will pick the center if two players are about equal in skill. Besides, MacKinnon is a much more complete package than Drouin.

The only team in the NHL that might select Drouin over MacKinnon in the draft is the Pens and that's only because they already have 2 of the top 5 centers in the world.

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:20 AM
  #68
hab 4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montréal, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Ya whatever, guy who picks what arguments support his hypothesis and none of the ones that don't.

Don't see where it says he's the smartest unless it was in video + according you your logic Drouin is smarter than Crosby. Oh wait, you made up a half baked excuse for that one.

And Giroux too*

Guess you also believe HFboards should close down because why even offer a POV when you can google what other people think and repeat it like a mindless robot.

cya
Lol. Pretty sad response. Obviously you have no clue what you are talking about. But let's leave it here

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:38 PM
  #69
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
Lol. Pretty sad response. Obviously you have no clue what you are talking about. But let's leave it here
Whatever helps you sleep at night. But hey! Who am I to talk? I'm only offering my opinion based on seeing him, and you're offering a single quote from a coach that, by your logic, implies Drouin's smarter than Giroux and Crosby. Guess you got me! checkmate!

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:16 PM
  #70
hab 4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montréal, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Whatever helps you sleep at night. But hey! Who am I to talk? I'm only offering my opinion based on seeing him, and you're offering a single quote from a coach that, by your logic, implies Drouin's smarter than Giroux and Crosby. Guess you got me! checkmate!
I think HalifaxDucks summed up the debated pretty well. Basically anyone who is remotedly knowledgeable about hockey can see now Drouin's IQ is off the charts and superior to MacKinnon's still very good IQ. Craig Button also came out and said Drouin had the best IQ in the entire draft class (which also includes MacKinnon) and there are many other sources who have been saying the same thing all year long. On the other hand, you have no one and no outside, legitimate source backing your point of view. You even showed earlier in this thread that you did not even know (lol) what hockey vision/IQ/sense is about as you thought it was "dangling". So I could argue with you in many more posts but why lose time with someone that is so clueless on the topic at hand?

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:33 PM
  #71
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
I think HalifaxDucks summed up the debated pretty well. Basically anyone who is remotedly knowledgeable about hockey can see now Drouin's IQ is off the charts and superior to MacKinnon's still very good IQ. Craig Button also came out and said Drouin had the best IQ in the entire draft class (which also includes MacKinnon) and there are many other sources who have been saying the same thing all year long. On the other hand, you have no one and no outside, legitimate source backing your point of view. You even showed earlier in this thread that you did not even know (lol) what hockey vision/IQ/sense is about as you thought it was "dangling". So I could argue with you in many more posts but why lose time with someone that is so clueless on the topic at hand?
I'm sorry Mr. "Drouin is smarter than Crosby and Giroux and I have no evidence that directly compares Drouin to MacKinnon", but I offered my opinion based on my own definitions of IQ which include decision making and simple plays. I didn't say the hockey world was in consensus.

How many viewings you had in Montreal? Thought so.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:58 PM
  #72
LeafDangler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 500
Anybody who wants to know why there really isn't a wrong answer in this debate should check the highlights from tonight's game. Only the 1st but MacKinnon and Drouin are tearing apart Chicoutimi. A couple beauties so far.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:25 PM
  #73
Scouter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,519
vCash: 50
I prefer Drouin purely from a watching him play level, but since Nate is a center, I suspect he is the more complete better player, Drouin has sick skills, his size could also be an issue though.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:42 PM
  #74
Ryan English
@ryanenglish_FC
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
I'm sorry Mr. "Drouin is smarter than Crosby and Giroux and I have no evidence that directly compares Drouin to MacKinnon", but I offered my opinion based on my own definitions of IQ which include decision making and simple plays. I didn't say the hockey world was in consensus.

How many viewings you had in Montreal? Thought so.
Haha relax man. The coach who gave that quote didn't have a list of players he's coached against in front of him.. And do you think either the coach or him was thinking Drouin > Crosby and Giroux for IQ when dropping that quote?

You get to see Mackinnon and Drouin more then him probably, but the extreme exaggeration of the quote he gave to support his side of the argument isn't going to suddenly make people think you're right.

Ryan English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:00 PM
  #75
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan English View Post
Haha relax man. The coach who gave that quote didn't have a list of players he's coached against in front of him.. And do you think either the coach or him was thinking Drouin > Crosby and Giroux for IQ when dropping that quote?

You get to see Mackinnon and Drouin more then him probably, but the extreme exaggeration of the quote he gave to support his side of the argument isn't going to suddenly make people think you're right.
The point was that if you're going to make that quote the be-all-end-all of your argument that someone else "knows nothing" then that's the way it goes. You live by the sword you die by it so to speak. I wasn't trying to convince anyone. I offered my opinion based on MY viewings of the two, and he said I'm wrong because other people say otherwise + used that as his supreme example.

You can't say someone who's watched him has a "wrong opinion" and "doesn't know anything" when you're the one pulling internet quotes because you don't have enough viewings to have made up your own mind. Just hurts my head. Let people have a point of view. lol

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.