HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valley of the Shadow of General Stars Talk V

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2013, 07:16 PM
  #251
hairylikebear
RIP HFStars
 
hairylikebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Guys, Larsen is a 23 year old sophmore, who's struggled at times this season. It's not the end of the world if he misses a few games. It happens with young D-men all the time in this league.

He's clearly played his way into the doghouse, and he'll have to play his way out of it. That means not taking a high stick penalty every time he gets a chance. He was playing top pairing minutes the other night, so it's not like he's completely at the point where he's going to be scratched every night.

I mean like him as much as you guys, and think he's going to develop into something great. But having a bad start and sitting a few games in sophomore year isn't anything to get worked up about. We have 8 D-men right now. It's going to get very annoying around here if we're going to ***** everytime a young D-man sits a game. Just expect that one of Oleksiak, Dillon, or Larsen will sit a given night and you'll be better off for it.
It's not the end of the world if the league folds but it's hardly ideal.

He may not be in Guantanamo but they could be handling him better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Other than penalties, where has his game slipped?
His penalties are kind of a major problem.

hairylikebear is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 07:27 PM
  #252
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Seemed to me like you were reading too much into what he was saying back then. I don't recall the exact quotes but at best they seemed to open the possibility that if the team has enough center depth Benn could move back to the wing, not that he's better or more valuable as a winger.
Then you're remembering incorrectly. All I ever said was he was non-committal about Jamie Benn at center which surprised me.

When asked directly if Benn was staying at center, he said he could play any position ... meaning he was open for a switch if it was right for the team. That was surprising considering how well Benn had performed at center, and it was worth noting. We've agreed on this point from the beginning that Benn should stay at center barring some major moves acquiring new centers.

The only assumption is that Heika is correct that GMJN now views him strictly as a center which would be a change in heart based on a direct quote in May

Quote:
Jamie Benn as a center moving forward?

I think that Jamie is so talented, he could probably run a power play at some point. He could play left wing, right wing, center...we've asked him to do a lot. I think that time will tell what position he fits best in, but there's no doubt that will happen in a Dallas Stars uniform.

I think Jamie's versatile enough so that if we do need to use him at center, which have had to do, he'll be fine. I think we'll be very comfortable moving him back to the wing as well.
.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 07:44 PM
  #253
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 8,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
It's not the end of the world if the league folds but it's hardly ideal.

He may not be in Guantanamo but they could be handling him better.



His penalties are kind of a major problem.
Well he averages one a game which obviously isn't good, but he's also our only defenseman with a goal. I'd say his positives outweigh his negatives, and by quite a bit. He's a pretty great defenseman.

-Has a great shot.
-Very good hands for a defenseman.
-Gets the puck up the ice quick.
-Great first pass.
-He's physical.
-Has a nose for the net. (Go watch his goal against Calgary from last season)
-Makes good decisions on the wall. (Knows how to pinch)

This is how you develop players as well. You let them play, get their heads straight, and try to adapt more and more. He's shown he's capable of it, and it'll certainly help develop the team more than playing a guy like Rome or Benn. Fits in with the front office approach of 'being patient' as well.

Cin is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 07:49 PM
  #254
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 23,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Well he averages one a game which obviously isn't good, but he's also our only defenseman with a goal. I'd say his positives outweigh his negatives, and by quite a bit. He's a pretty great defenseman.

-Has a great shot.
-Very good hands for a defenseman.
-Gets the puck up the ice quick.
-Great first pass.
-He's physical.
-Has a nose for the net. (Go watch his goal against Calgary from last season)
-Makes good decisions on the wall. (Knows how to pinch)

This is how you develop players as well. You let them play, get their heads straight, and try to adapt more and more. He's shown he's capable of it, and it'll certainly help develop the team more than playing a guy like Rome or Benn. Fits in with the front office approach of 'being patient' as well.
I'm not really sure what you're advocating, or how it ties in with the bolded... Do you want him to play more minutes, or not? I think we can all agree scratching him is stupid, but this post kind of confused me.

LatvianTwist is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 07:49 PM
  #255
ginblossoms
Registered User
 
ginblossoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Guys, Larsen is a 23 year old sophmore, who's struggled at times this season. It's not the end of the world if he misses a few games. It happens with young D-men all the time in this league.

He's clearly played his way into the doghouse, and he'll have to play his way out of it. That means not taking a high stick penalty every time he gets a chance. He was playing top pairing minutes the other night, so it's not like he's completely at the point where he's going to be scratched every night.

I mean like him as much as you guys, and think he's going to develop into something great. But having a bad start and sitting a few games in sophomore year isn't anything to get worked up about. We have 8 D-men right now. It's going to get very annoying around here if we're going to ***** everytime a young D-man sits a game. Just expect that one of Oleksiak, Dillon, or Larsen will sit a given night and you'll be better off for it.
i'd be okay with this if it really was/is/will be a rotating scratch of the youngsters (& rome). except it's just been larsen so far (assuming he's scratched friday). i was okay with the first healthy scratch as a wake-up call of sorts. he then comes back, gulutzan gives him prime minutes, and he scores a goal.

to me, larsen's play hasn't been noticeably worse than jordie's or dillon's. further, his offensive abilities are better. he has a good accurate shot from the point that he's not afraid to use. he settles down the entry into the offensive zone on the power play. these skills help offset any of his supposed defensive liability and provide something the team sorely lacks.

also, i think this whole penalty thing is anomalous. he's never had a real history of taking undisciplined penalties, and i fully trust he'll learn to minimize the infractions.

ginblossoms is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 07:53 PM
  #256
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 8,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I'm not really sure what you're advocating, or how it ties in with the bolded... Do you want him to play more minutes, or not? I think we can all agree scratching him is stupid, but this post kind of confused me.
Not sure how you take that wrong? Being patient by playing him, and instilling more discipline.

Cin is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 07:56 PM
  #257
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 23,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Not sure how you take that wrong? Being patient by playing him, and instilling more discipline.
Playing him is where I'm confused. How much? And how is giving him prime NHL minutes being patient?

LatvianTwist is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 07:59 PM
  #258
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 8,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Playing him is where I'm confused. How much? And how is giving him prime NHL minutes being patient?
Uh...? The issue is with him being scratched over somebody like Benn or Rome.

It's being patient by dealing with the bad attributes he's currently got going on. Just like being patient with somebody like Myers. He's obviously got greatness in him, but his mental gaffes are unsettling. More playing time will most likely result in a better player.

Cin is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 09:12 PM
  #259
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 16,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Then you're remembering incorrectly. All I ever said was he was non-committal about Jamie Benn at center which surprised me.

When asked directly if Benn was staying at center, he said he could play any position ... meaning he was open for a switch if it was right for the team. That was surprising considering how well Benn had performed at center, and it was worth noting. We've agreed on this point from the beginning that Benn should stay at center barring some major moves acquiring new centers.

The only assumption is that Heika is correct that GMJN now views him strictly as a center which would be a change in heart based on a direct quote in May

.
My bad then. Maybe I blocked out what he was saying because I just never bought the notion that he would be moved back to the wing, at least not permanently. I still see his career going the way of Zetterberg in that regard. Zetterberg gets moved around from center to wing fairly often, it just depends on what is needed of him during a game and within a season.

glovesave_35 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 09:17 PM
  #260
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
My bad then. Maybe I blocked out what he was saying because I just never bought the notion that he would be moved back to the wing, at least not permanently. I still see his career going the way of Zetterberg in that regard. Zetterberg gets moved around from center to wing fairly often, it just depends on what is needed of him during a game and within a season.
Yeah ... I thought the quote was surprising, and then you had Gaglardi, Gainey, and Gulutzen ... jeez IDK that I realized there were this many G's ... all saying Dallas needed centers days or maybe a week or so later.

Now, at the time we had no idea they were for sure trading Ribeiro. I think we all thought it could happen, but it wasn't a certainty. They could have just been talking about the eventual swap we say of Roy for Ribeiro.

I think Benn ultimately remains at center, but if that doesn't happen we'll worry about it then .... and hopefully it means Dallas is adding some quality player to push him to wing.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 09:18 PM
  #261
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 23,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Yeah ... I thought the quote was surprising, and then you had Gaglardi, Gainey, and Gulutzen ... jeez IDK that I realized there were this many G's ... all saying Dallas needed centers days or maybe a week or so later.
Maybe it's a sign that Getzlaf will think that too?

LatvianTwist is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 09:26 PM
  #262
Rune Forumwalker
Registered User
 
Rune Forumwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Well he averages one a game which obviously isn't good, but he's also our only defenseman with a goal.
You forget how he got that goal though. It was due to all the leadership and hard work in front of the net by Morrow.

Rune Forumwalker is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 09:38 PM
  #263
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,412
vCash: 500
I'll keep saying it until I'm blue in the face ... prospects and young players have to play. That's something you have to commit too if this franchise is ever going to climb out of this hole it's been in.

The Stars put themselves in this position. Larsen can't be assigned to the AHL without clearing waivers so that means he has to be an NHLer. Jordie Benn has looked fine most of the time, but he's also victimized more than anyone. He may be older, but he doesn't have a ton of pro experience at top levels so he needs to play too which means he's got to go back to the AHL. Slowing Larsen's development for Benn is assinine.

Slowing either one for Rome is just plain stupid.

I don't get why people are so nonchalant about scratching young players. It hasn't worked a single time for Dallas. Fistric didn't get better coming in and out of the lineup. You play the SOBs ... NHL, AHL, wherever ... but young assets develop by playing.

Being herky jerky with a guys ice time and games played doesn't help anyone. If the Stars are all of a sudden uncomfortable with 4 small defenders in the lineup .. do something about it other than benching your future.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:36 PM
  #264
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,412
vCash: 500
I didn't realize Jerrard had coached Chara.

Quote:
“There are a lot of similarities. One thing I would say if I could take a look at both those guys, I know that Chara is a couple inches bigger, and Jamie is a lot more smoother and polished in his first couple years than Chara.”

-Stars assistant coach Paul Jerrard, who was on the coaching staff of Lowell (AHL) in the late 1990’s when Boston’s Zdeno Chara (6-9/255 pounds) played there early in his professional career.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 11:17 PM
  #265
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 8,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Dude, seriously awesome find. I had no idea.

Cin is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 09:46 AM
  #266
Smelling Salt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,137
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
Rotowire doesn't think much of Kari:

Lehtonen turned away 31 of 34 shots in Friday's shootout win over Phoenix, his first win in three starts.

Recommendation: Lehtonen also denied three of four attempts in the shootout to secure the victory for Dallas. His numbers have not been the greatest of late, allowing nine goals in his last three starts, but Dallas is going to surrender a handful of scoring chances per game. Expect Lehtonen to play most nights, but know that he can either steal a game for the Stars or be a sieve on any night.

Smelling Salt is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 10:53 AM
  #267
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,360
vCash: 500
^They obviously don't watch Stars games.

Sounds like Smith is getting called up to replace Whitney for a few games in a top 6 role. If that actually happens.. good on Joe and Gulutzan.

MetalGodAOD* is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 10:56 AM
  #268
BRoni
Registered User
 
BRoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
^They obviously don't watch Stars games.
Uh yeah. Could it have nothing to do with the defense letting him down?

BRoni is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:15 AM
  #269
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 8,171
vCash: 500
Yep. Don't watch the games and look at stat lines.

Kari has been the best Dallas Star this season and it's not even close.

Cin is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:33 AM
  #270
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
To be fair, if most of your goalie points come from wins and allowing few goals, Kari isn't a great option at this point. Obviously not his fault and poorly communicated there, but things aren't looking great for fantasy owners.

Mr Misty is online now  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:38 AM
  #271
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,360
vCash: 500
Actually the fact that Dallas gives up a ton of goals and Kari is great at handling the volume is good for fantasy. It means if he lets in 1-2 goals he'll still have a decent SV%.

MetalGodAOD* is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:58 AM
  #272
ginblossoms
Registered User
 
ginblossoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
rotowire's a fantasy sports site. lehtonen can play great and still give up 3 or 4 goals, which isn't great for fantasy hockey.

ginblossoms is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 03:25 PM
  #273
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Actually the fact that Dallas gives up a ton of goals and Kari is great at handling the volume is good for fantasy. It means if he lets in 1-2 goals he'll still have a decent SV%.
The only problem is that this many shots and this few goals is unsustainable, and many leagues do not include SV% as a stat.

Mr Misty is online now  
Old
02-02-2013, 03:38 PM
  #274
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,412
vCash: 500
This isn't about b****ing and moaning about Larsen being on the bench.

If Larsen truly isn't an option in Gulutzan's opinion in the Top 7 of this team's defense, is there a trade out there that makes sense for the player and the team?

I like Larsen, and I think he'll have a pretty respectable career as a Top 4 defender, but I don't want to watch his value plummet like Fistric's as he racks up healthy scratches. Instead of waiting for him to being months removed from UFA, why not make a move when you can actually get value back.

On a much smaller scale, there could be a trade similar to Shattenkirk+Stewart for Johnson out there.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 03:49 PM
  #275
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,412
vCash: 500
This has got to make Lites proud:

Quote:
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland

Dallas, TX has some of the nicest ice arenas in the country. Love how Dr. Pepper and the #stars have invested into youth hockey

BigG44 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.