HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals: Part XXXIII

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 07:29 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
I dont think the solution is to trade for a center replacement.

We have guys like regin, zibanejad, and da costa who can take a shot at the second line while turris takes over the first.

We're not going to trade for a rental because we're still rebuilding and throwing away futures like that is stupid.

We're not trading for a long-term young center because he would be out of place as soon as spezza is back.

I think the best course of action, other than doing nothing and hoping someone steps up, is to trade for a young scoring winger. If we're going to give up the assets to add to our top six, it should be for someone who fits in our long-term plan, like turris did.
I'd agree with all this except I'd trade for a defenseman rather than a winger. We're deep everywhere and roll 4 lines at a high tempo. That's not going to change with Spezza out. My biggest concern is a brittle Gonchar having to play 25+ minutes regularly and Karlsson being forced into 30 minute games regularly. If we can roll 3 D pairings like we roll 4 lines, we should remain very competitive.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:31 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
Tim Connolly anyone?
I was saying this today. TSN Radio was talking about a potential Toronto - Ottawa trade in the works (I thought it was crazy too) and maybe it's based around Connolly. He'd be cheap to get, and would be gone soon enough.

He could be had for a late round pick, but Toronto would probably want a 2nd or 3rd from us.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:38 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
I was saying this today. TSN Radio was talking about a potential Toronto - Ottawa trade in the works (I thought it was crazy too) and maybe it's based around Connolly. He'd be cheap to get, and would be gone soon enough.

He could be had for a late round pick, but Toronto would probably want a 2nd or 3rd from us.
He's playing on the Marlies. There's no way we give up anything of value for him.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:38 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
he'd be perfect but not in shape apparently.
His knee didnt pass the medical.

I say we milk that lame cow until we have to put him down.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:54 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Yeah, if Toronto expects to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a guy that we could get for free, then...

Old
01-31-2013, 07:59 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post

They just waived him probably hoping someone would take him and is now buried in the A. I honestly think we could get him for next to nothing.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:00 PM
Johnny Hanson

The way I see it, I'd gladly pay o'reilly 5 mil knowing that I have turris signed long term at 3.5. Strength down the middle

Old
01-31-2013, 08:02 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
id like to say something about this but i dont get it.
I was joking...

Old
01-31-2013, 08:08 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hanson View Post
The way I see it, I'd gladly pay o'reilly 5 mil knowing that I have turris signed long term at 3.5. Strength down the middle
I pretty much agree with this. $5M is too much, but a good center is worth twice as much as a good winger, and the other guys can always learn to play the wing.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:10 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hanson View Post
Who are you going to give for him? Zibanejad, Turris or Cowen? There will be no deal unless one of those players is included.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:12 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
He's playing on the Marlies. There's no way we give up anything of value for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
They just waived him probably hoping someone would take him and is now buried in the A. I honestly think we could get him for next to nothing.
I'm basing this around what I think Toronto might ask for because I'm sure Nonis hates us just as much as everyone else in Toronto, and also he'd probably be worth close to that if playing in the NHL.

If he costs us less, yes, please go for him BM.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:52 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

IF we're on the market for a center, I wonder what the Kings would be asking for in exchange for Loktionov.

Loktionov wants out of LA, probably wouldn't be terribly expensive, and is young enough (22) that he doesn't have to be a "rental".

Old
01-31-2013, 08:56 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
IF we're on the market for a center, I wonder what the Kings would be asking for in exchange for Loktionov.

Loktionov wants out of LA, probably wouldn't be terribly expensive, and is young enough (22) that he doesn't have to be a "rental".
i don't understand why we would spend our assets on this guy when dacosta is right there. i don't see this guy better than stephane.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:57 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

We're already talking about going out and getting another center without even giving: Turris, Zibanejad, Smith, O'Brien, Regin...and to a lesser extent Da Costa a fair shake at holding the fort for 2 months?...

Old
01-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
We're already talking about going out and getting another center without even giving: Turris, Zibanejad, Smith, O'Brien, Regin...and to a lesser extent Da Costa a fair shake at holding the fort for 2 months?...

This is the perfect opportunity to give some great experience to our kids. Spezza is due back in time for the playoffs, and LA showed us last year you only need to make it to the 8th seed to have a chance.

If now isn't the time to give them a shot; shortened injury riddled season, goalie on fire, young guns playing great, tight eastern conference only schedule, still massively underrated by the rest of the league....then when?

This is the best possible scenario, imo, to give some kids a chance.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:13 PM
Quo
storms in my knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
i don't understand why we would spend our assets on this guy when dacosta is right there. i don't see this guy better than stephane.
His proposal came with a conditional that was bolded, capitalized and underlined.

That said, more competition is rarely, if ever, a bad thing. Should Da Costa or anyone else not live up to the expectations placed upon them while we're transitioning to life without Spezza that leaves us very thin. I agree we should be giving the kids a shot and waiting to pull the trigger on any such deals.

A decent draft pick (not a first) would probably do it for Loktionov who is a talented playmaker, fits our two system and has reportedly asked for a trade. With Richards, Carter, Kopitar, Stoll in front of him, not a bad idea really.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:18 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

No to Loktionov. Regin is better. Da Costa is better.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:20 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
I said "if".

I'm fine with giving the kids a chance. My point was that, "if the decision from management was to get a guy", then why not a young guy like Loktionov instead of Arnott/Connolly/Weiss...

Old
01-31-2013, 09:23 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
I said "if".

I'm fine with giving the kids a chance. My point was that, "if the decision from management was to get a guy", then why not a young guy like Loktionov instead of Arnott/Connolly/Weiss...
Weiss is awesome

Old
01-31-2013, 09:24 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
No to Loktionov.

Da Costa is better.
Debatable. Tough to make a call either way, considering how much NHL time both of these guys have had, and when they HAVE played in the NHL, their linemates haven't exactly been guys who compliment their skillset. I'd like to see Da Costa get a chance, but Loktionov has some serious untapped potential.

I think the argument could be made that if Loktionov IS better than DaCosta, then is he so much better that it would be worth giving up the assets to acquire him? Probably not. But I think whatever team gets Loktionov and gives him a serious chance on a scoring line are going to make out like bandits, considering what they'll pay to get him.

Quote:
Regin is better.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:27 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Weiss is awesome
Agreed. I love Weiss. Great 2-way center who can put up 50-60 points and play on your PK.

I don't want to pay a king's ransom to get him as a rental, however.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:28 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Loktionov has 42 points in his last 67 AHL games... I'll pass on him thanks. Not scoring line material

Old
01-31-2013, 09:29 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Agreed. I love Weiss. Great 2-way center who can put up 50-60 points and play on your PK.

I don't want to pay a king's ransom to get him as a rental, however.
True, though I'd probably give Zack Smith + a little something. Tallon might go for that, Smith might be his type of player

Old
01-31-2013, 09:30 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
True, though I'd probably give Zack Smith + a little something. Tallon might go for that, Smith might be his type of player
On the open market, with 15+ teams also bidding on him, there is no way we'd get him for that little.

We'd need at least double that value.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:33 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
On the open market, with 15+ teams also bidding on him, there is no way we'd get him for that little.

We'd need at least double that value.
He's a rental. Look at what Kovalchuk and Hossa got... I'm thinking Weiss could get around half that?

I'm also thinking Tallon values Smith highly.

Maybe Smith + Puempel

Closed Thread