HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Talk - Proposals, Speculation, Roster-shaping

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 02:51 PM
stokes84

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
A roster spot
Touche. For some reason I was thinking we could claim him and put him in Rochester.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:27 PM
SmurfInABlender

As an Avs fan #1 and a Sabres fan #2, I'd say with this big eff up the Avs management has done with O'Reilly, I'd want him in Buffalo if he isn't in Colorado. Though I think a trade to benefit both teams could be accomplished before an offer sheet/recoup.

What do you guys think of a deal involving Drew Stafford?

Old
01-31-2013, 03:48 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender View Post
As an Avs fan #1 and a Sabres fan #2, I'd say with this big eff up the Avs management has done with O'Reilly, I'd want him in Buffalo if he isn't in Colorado. Though I think a trade to benefit both teams could be accomplished before an offer sheet/recoup.

The Sabres would definitely do Stafford+any non-core pieces within reason. People were proposing O'Reilly for Myers on the trade board which, despite Myers' struggles and contract, would never happen from a Buffalo POV. What else do you think it would take in addition to Stafford?

Old
01-31-2013, 03:50 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

I'd be open to it. I'd rather try to shape a deal around Ennis since there's really no point in having him + Hodgson + Grigs along with with ROR, unless we moved him to Grigs' wing. But a top notch defensive center is definitely something Buffalo needs, and I'd part with some significant assets to get ROR to the Sabres. He's young, established as a great defensive player, and last year showed the ability to put up top 6 points as well.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:54 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I wouldn't do that deal straight up, let alone adding a 2nd.
I agree. If the Sabres trade Stafford I'd prefer a younger, cheaper forward coming back, not an older one. Willliams might fit well in the lineup, but he's not worth giving up a guy like Stafford that still has some upside. I think it would be change just for the sake of change, which isn't the right way to retool IMO.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:01 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I'd be open to it. I'd rather try to shape a deal around Ennis since there's really no point in having him + Hodgson + Grigs along with with ROR, unless we moved him to Grigs' wing. But a top notch defensive center is definitely something Buffalo needs, and I'd part with some significant assets to get ROR to the Sabres. He's young, established as a great defensive player, and last year showed the ability to put up top 6 points as well.
I'd rather keep Ennis than Stafford if we're choosing. I still think Ennis would be effective at LW with the right linemates. O'Reilly actually could be a great linemate for him to let Ennis roam.

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
Ennis - O'Reilly - Leino/Ott
Foligno - Grigorenko - Leino/Ott

Old
01-31-2013, 04:03 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Unless O'Reilly comes out and demands a trade, the Avs won't deal him. I don't know what the hold up is, but if they are crying poor after handing PA Parenteau 4 million per, well, they are being stupid.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:21 PM
SmurfInABlender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
I'd rather keep Ennis than Stafford if we're choosing. I still think Ennis would be effective at LW with the right linemates. O'Reilly actually could be a great linemate for him to let Ennis roam.

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
Ennis - O'Reilly - Leino/Ott
Foligno - Grigorenko - Leino/Ott
O'Reilly + Ott would be amazing on a line together.

I'd love O'Reilly for Myers on an Avs perspective, but there is absolutely no reason for Buffalo to get rid of arguably the best young defenseman in the league right now. It would have to be O'Reilly + to get Myers and I just don't think the Avs have the assets.

As for the Stafford trade I think it would involve picks. Avs have been trading depth away and it is getting time to restock so it might be something like Stafford + 1st for O'Reilly + 3rd. O'Reilly honestly has the leadership and determination that I think a Streaky Sabres team could really use. Honestly I'm still shocked that he was snubbed for the C but I guess Landeskog has more "star power"

Old
01-31-2013, 04:37 PM
JPurp26

As much as I try, I just don't see Leino in long term line ups

Old
01-31-2013, 05:02 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
O'Reilly + Ott would be amazing on a line together.

I'd love O'Reilly for Myers on an Avs perspective, but there is absolutely no reason for Buffalo to get rid of arguably the best young defenseman in the league right now. It would have to be O'Reilly + to get Myers and I just don't think the Avs have the assets.

As for the Stafford trade I think it would involve picks. Avs have been trading depth away and it is getting time to restock so it might be something like Stafford + 1st for O'Reilly + 3rd. O'Reilly honestly has the leadership and determination that I think a Streaky Sabres team could really use. Honestly I'm still shocked that he was snubbed for the C but I guess Landeskog has more "star power"
What about Ennis and a pick and one of our excess Dmen?

Old
01-31-2013, 05:20 PM
kenfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
What about Ennis and a pick and one of our excess Dmen?
Problem is the Avs are flooded with bottom pairing guys. What they really need is a solid younger 2/3 guy on the backend. Sekera?

Old
01-31-2013, 05:25 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfury View Post
Problem is the Avs are flooded with bottom pairing guys. What they really need is a solid younger 2/3 guy on the backend. Sekera?
ROR is one of the guys I'd give up Sekera for.

Ennis/Sekera for ROR and something else?

Old
01-31-2013, 05:25 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfury View Post
I don't think the Sabres should part with him, and I think Ennis + Sekera might be an overpayment from Buffalo. I'd put any prospect d-men on the table if COL had interest, but Sekera is probably the team's best contract, and one of only 3 roster defenders Buffalo has signed past the end of this season. There's a whole lot of risk in letting him go.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:16 PM
kenfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I don't think the Sabres should part with him, and I think Ennis + Sekera might be an overpayment from Buffalo. I'd put any prospect d-men on the table if COL had interest, but Sekera is probably the team's best contract, and one of only 3 roster defenders Buffalo has signed past the end of this season. There's a whole lot of risk in letting him go.
Well, let us look 2 years ahead on the D.

McNabb becomes Regehr
Pysyk become Leopold
Rej stays Rej
Myers stays Myers
JGL and McCabe are on the cusp

I wonder if Ennis, Brennan + would get it done, otherwise the Development of the Blue line needs to be accelerated either through prospects or FA.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:36 PM
stokes84

You guys are insane. ROR+ for Ennis, not the other way around.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:42 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Stop.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:55 PM
stokes84

Quote:
Stop.
Why? Better scorer, more offensive upside, better player. ROR has become the most overrated player on these boards. There is literally nothing that makes him more valuable, except for age, but even then they are in the same year contractually.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:00 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Why? Better scorer, more offensive upside, better player. ROR has become the most overrated player on these boards. There is literally nothing that makes him more valuable, except for age, but even then they are in the same year contractually.

ROR is better on faceoffs, much better defensively, can play a physical game, scored 50ish points in 82 games last year while providing all that...

Old
01-31-2013, 10:00 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

try again

Old
01-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Zip15

Quote:
And the fact that he's 5x the defensive player that Ennis is, at the most important forward position. There's a reason why the teams that have won Cups have guys like M. Richards, Bergeron, Bolland, Toews, J. Staal, Datsyuk/Zetterberg. You need centers who can check the other teams' elite players and do well against them. That's ROR. And he's only 21. How many 5'8'' waterbugs have been the 1C or 2C for Cup-winners in the last decade? Any?

Ennis has great offensive abilities, even if he's a bit inconsistent. But he doesn't play the 200-foot game O'Reilly does, and that's why O'Reilly is the better all-around player.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:10 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
And the fact that he's 5x the defensive player that Ennis is, at the most important forward position. There's a reason why the teams that have won Cups have guys like M. Richards, Bergeron, Bolland, Toews, J. Staal, Datsyuk/Zetterberg. You need centers who can check the other teams' elite players and do well against them. That's ROR. And he's only 21. How many 5'8'' waterbugs have been the 1C or 2C for Cup-winners in the last decade? Any?

Ennis has great offensive abilities, even if he's a bit inconsistent. But he doesn't play the 200-foot game O'Reilly does, and that's why O'Reilly is the better all-around player.
they dont get it.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:10 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:

Bingo. Blam-o. O'Reilly is a post-season player at 21.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:11 PM
stokes84

Quote:

ROR isn't nearly in the category of any of those players, except for Bolland, who is a third line center. Let the hyperbole and overrating continue.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:14 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
ROR isn't nearly in the category of any of those players, except for Bolland, who is a third line center. Let the hyperbole and overrating continue.
everyone knows you've never really seen O'reilly play

*Mike Richards is a very good comparison for O'reilly.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:16 PM
indigoo

Sorry to infiltrate the discussion, so to speak, but I'm looking for some good sites, other than TSN, to look up prospects, CHL player/team stats etc...

Closed Thread