HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais Discussion (Slow Start & Contact Talk)

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 08:54 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I would not be opposed to putting Eller between max and cole when max is back. What's the harm? DD hasn't been playing like last year so a change up for a bit wouldn't hurt.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:05 PM
shredder11

vCash: 500
I have a feeling if ellar gets traded its gonna bite us in the ass bigtime!!!IMO
I love all the habs but I would really like to see what ellar can do at natural position with good wingers.

Last edited by shredder11: 01-31-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 09:13 PM
WakeUpNHL

What to do with Desharnais.

Desharnais is not a top 2 center for a contending NHL team. The Habs should send him down to Hamilton to help prepare our prospect wingers to make the jump to the big club, just like he did with MaxPac.
Even if the have to pay him a one way contract $1M per year to help our prospects.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:45 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
I hope they scratch DD and give eller a top six centre role this would be the perfect time for eller to show us what he can do at the centre position. Scratching DD would hopefully send him a message and wake him up.
Scratch DD and play who, Blunden? Does this really give the team a better chance to win a game?

And, "send a message" - so you believe DD's lack of production has been due to lack of effort? I very much doubt this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
Desharnais is not a top 2 center for a contending NHL team. The Habs should send him down to Hamilton to help prepare our prospect wingers to make the jump to the big club, just like he did with MaxPac.
Even if the have to pay him a one way contract $1M per year to help our prospects.
Again, who do you think should replace DD in the lineup? Would Blunden, Dumont or Leblanc contribute more towards wins?

These ideas still have some fleshing out to go before they have a chance of being convincing. There's a difference between "Desharnais is not the ideal player, last season was a mirage" and "I have a better plan for the Habs that involves scrapping Desharnais."

Old
01-31-2013, 10:44 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull909 View Post
And to think of how many were ready to deal Pleks, because we didn't need him any more with DD as the number 1. Laughable then, even more so now.
Really? The vast majority of the posters always considered Plekanec as a better player than Desharnais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
his timing seems off, like he always think he has more time and space than he actually has. it'll come back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
I agree with you. His brain is still playing on the big ice surface in Europe and his body is in N.A with a lot less time and space available to make plays. He's also playing now against the other team's best defensive lines and shutdown defensemen. When Pacioretty and Cole start drive the net harder, it should open up the middle for DD. He's really holding onto the stick too tightly but he'll come around.
Desharnais needs to play with speedy wingers who drive the net hard (not necessarily big guys btw) to open up the middle. Right now he is way too easily separated from the puck when entering the zone alongside the boards. Thus far, Cole looks slower but he usually needs a few games to get his game going.

Heck... while waiting for Pacioretty, I would be willing to try Moen or even Gallagher with Desharnais and Cole. I am not sure if Cole can play LW but I think Gallagher is ready to play against tougher competition.

That being mentioned, Eller – Desharnais – Cole spent most of the 3rd period in Ottawa’s zone during the last game so who knows... maybe Therrien should give this line another game!

Old
01-31-2013, 10:53 PM
habtastic

I like the idea of Eller when Max comes back BUT I honestly think DD will find his game before 3.5 weeks!

It'll be fine. Cole is still learning how to turn on skates and Eller how to play the wing, so DD isn't the only one. I think he's been off and on. There are some vintage DD plays he's made in the first 6 games. Just have to get him to "always on" mode. I guess he'll have to ask PK about that.

And yeah, trading Eller would be an incredibly stupid thing to do.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:54 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Great argumentation!
I would have linked him to the Cincinnati boards but...

Old
01-31-2013, 11:33 PM
Kovatar

Everyone needs to chill out with Desharnais. We played 6 games with barely a training camp. Cole is known to have slow starts and Eller is lost when he plays wing. If DD scored on that tip a couple of games ago (hit the post) and if Cole buried a few beautiful set ups by Desharnais (but instead also hit the post) we would all be talking about how great he's been playing. I think it's a timing issue, and given the team is playing well, Therrien has the luxury to be patient.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovatar View Post
Everyone needs to chill out with Desharnais. We played 6 games with barely a training camp. Cole is known to have slow starts and Eller is lost when he plays wing. If DD scored on that tip a couple of games ago (hit the post) and if Cole buried a few beautiful set ups by Desharnais (but instead also hit the post) we would all be talking about how great he's been playing. I think it's a timing issue, and given the team is playing well, Therrien has the luxury to be patient.
No we won't. Most of us know hockey better than that. MaxPac had 4 points in 3 games and we all agreed that he isn't player good hockey.

Stop finding excuses for DD, he's not as good so far this season and it's not because of his wingers (which are also bad) but it doesn't change the fact that he IS also bad.

Gionta hasn't played hockey in a whole year, Plekanec didn't take part of the camp, Bourque was **** last year.. Still all of them are doing just fine. They don't need excuses.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:32 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovatar View Post
I can't believe what I'm reading... Reason, nuances, moderation, etc. Can't you see that 6 games is enough to press the panic button and demote this 60 points sophomore to the ECHL? Seriously, you won't find many people to discuss with here, I think you're on the wrong board.

Last edited by DDs not undersized: 02-01-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old
02-01-2013, 01:40 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Scratch DD and play who, Blunden? Does this really give the team a better chance to win a game?

And, "send a message" - so you believe DD's lack of production has been due to lack of effort? I very much doubt this.

Again, who do you think should replace DD in the lineup? Would Blunden, Dumont or Leblanc contribute more towards wins?

These ideas still have some fleshing out to go before they have a chance of being convincing. There's a difference between "Desharnais is not the ideal player, last season was a mirage" and "I have a better plan for the Habs that involves scrapping Desharnais."
As for who would replace DD I can't say. I would have said Louis Leblanc but his play hasn't been very good in Hamilton. Gabriel dumont is another option but I'm not sure if his game could translate to the wing.

As for whether or not DD is putting enough effort is questionable but his play is definitely lacking and you shouldn't have to make excuses for a player who isn't helping the team win. Last year we scratched pk subban because his play was poor not because he wasn't trying, why not do the same for DD?

Old
02-01-2013, 01:57 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Last year we scratched pk subban because his play was poor not because he wasn't trying, why not do the same for DD?
And why exactly is it so important for you and other posters to scratch DD? We have a young guy who just comes from a 60 points season and who's having a bad start. Why is it so urgent, according to the naysayers here, to scratch him or send him to the minor? What good would it do to him? What good would it do for the team??

When you have such an offensive force on a team, you try to create the conditions to make him produce again. That's what an intelligent management does. I'm sure it's what Therrien will do. And I'm sure that many of you would be pretty bad coaches and would rather break the guy instead of helping him because, for the reasons we know, many of you just don't want him to succeed.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:17 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
And why exactly is it so important for you and other posters to scratch DD? We have a young guy who just comes from a 60 points season and who's having a bad start. Why is it so urgent, according to the naysayers here, to scratch him or send him to the minor? What good would it do to him? What good would it do for the team??

When you have such an offensive force on a team, you try to create the conditions to make him produce again. That's what an intelligent management does. I'm sure it's what Therrien will do. And I'm sure that many of you would be pretty bad coaches and would rather break the guy instead of helping him because, for the reasons we know, many of you just don't want him to succeed.
First of all desharnais isn't young he's 26. Why is it so urgent to scratch desharnais? The same reason we scratched eller to do what you say 'create conditions to make him produce' eller was scratched to give galchenyuk a shot at producing at the centre position and he has so you can't scratch him. On the other hand Desharnais has had multiple opportunities to showcase himself but he hasn't. Desharnais hasn't had a single good game let alone one good period, so don't tell me we should give desharnais more opportunities to succeed he's had plenty while eller is forced to play in a position he isn't comfortable in.

Give eller six games in the same position desharnais is in and we shall see who plays better, enough with the hypotheticals I want to see what eller can do in a top six centre role with pp. To be honest I don't even care if desharnais is scratched or not he could play on Eller's wing for all I care, I only suggested it because desharnais hasn't played well and I think that's the easiest fastest way to send a message to a player.

All I'm trying to say is give eller a chance in his natural position.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:34 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
First of all desharnais isn't young he's 26. Why is it so urgent to scratch desharnais? The same reason we scratched eller to do what you say 'create conditions to make him produce' eller was scratched to give galchenyuk a shot at producing at the centre position and he has so you can't scratch him. On the other hand Desharnais has had multiple opportunities to showcase himself but he hasn't. Desharnais hasn't had a single good game let alone one good period, so don't tell me we should give desharnais more opportunities to succeed he's had plenty while eller is forced to play in a position he isn't comfortable in.

Give eller six games in the same position desharnais is in and we shall see who plays better, enough with the hypotheticals I want to see what eller can do in a top six centre role with pp. To be honest I don't even care if desharnais is scratched or not he could play on Eller's wing for all I care, I only suggested it because desharnais hasn't played well and I think that's the easiest fastest way to send a message to a player.

So your solution is : replace a player who doesn't play well by one who plays even worse and who hasn't shown as much at the NHL level (or at any other level anyway). This is not coaching. This is favoritism. What kind of message would it send to the dressing room?

You give a top 2 center spot to Eller when he shows he deserves it. DD got there because he showed he belonged there. Now it's his to lose, and Galchenyuk is much more of a threat to his job than Eller.

Quote:
As for whether or not DD is putting enough effort is questionable but his play is definitely lacking and you shouldn't have to make excuses for a player who isn't helping the team win...
...says the guy who makes an excuse for Eller for not showing more grit, passion and creativity, because he has to play on the wing (on the 1st line), which is not his natural position... There should be no excuse for Eller either. Therrien also gives him a nice opportunity to produce on the first line. I hope he takes it and shows all he has in him.

Last edited by DDs not undersized: 02-01-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old
02-01-2013, 06:46 AM
MXD

Quote:

While I have no problem with the idea to scratch DD due to his poor performance, scratching him in order to make room to the ONLY player who has been worse than him so far is completely senseless.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:47 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
So your solution is : replace a player who doesn't play well by one who plays even worse and who hasn't shown as much at the NHL level (or at any other level anyway). This is not coaching. This is favoritism. What kind of message would it send to the dressing room?

You give a top 2 center spot to Eller when he shows he deserves it. DD got there because he showed he belonged there. Now it's his to lose, and Galchenyuk is much more of a threat to his job than Eller.

...says the guy who makes an excuse for Eller for not showing more grit, passion and creativity, because he has to play on the wing (on the 1st line), which is not his natural position... There should be no excuse for Eller either. Therrien also gives him a nice opportunity to produce on the first line. I hope he takes it and shows all he has in him.
Eller has played worse than desharnais are you serious

The hell did desharnais do to deserve being a top 2 centre? he played the whole season with our two best wingers and scored 16 goals regardless if your a playmaker or not, 16 is the sane amount of goals eller scored last year with worse linemates, less minutes, no PP, and played against better players. Giving someone a chance over another isn't favoritism in the slightest it's being accountable for your play, desharnais hasn't played well so why not give eller a chance? Christ they gave galchenyuk eller's role and he didn't play well in the first game neither so why should we exempt desharnais from losing his position, he needs to prove he belongs there and he hasn't so give someone else a chance, it's only fair.

Stop talking liking desharnais has had any passion in the 6 games, slightly more passionate than Cole but no drive from him at all. Everything you said about eller could be said about desharnais aswell the difference between the two of them is one hasnt had the opportunity to play his natural natural position and one has. Call it an excuse, it's the truth eller has always been **** on the wing some centers can never adjust to the wing. And if desharnais was moved to the wing I'm sure you too would be complaining about not being in his most comfortable position.

I'll be honest I like eller but I'm not blinded by it, when he plays bad I'll be the first to admit and he hasn't played well that past few games but neither has desharnais. I don't see why people are so against letting eller play centre in the top six. It's actually pretty funny, people need to stop being so obtuse and understand that eller plays 10x better as a centre than he does at wing, if management wants to force eller to play wing, fine, but it'll be a damn shame since it will ruin him and people will use him as a scapegoat so the sacred desharnais doesn't lose his position.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:52 AM
MXD

Quote:
Since the beginning of the season?

Yes. Indeed. Not a big gap, but yes.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:53 AM
MXD

Quote:

The hell did desharnais do to deserve being a top 2 centre? he played the whole season with our two best wingers and scored 16 goals regardless if your a playmaker or not, 16 is the sane amount of goals eller scored last year with worse linemates, less minutes, no PP, and played against better players. Giving someone a chance over another isn't favoritism in the slightest it's being accountable for your play, desharnais hasn't played well so why not give eller a chance? Christ they gave galchenyuk eller's role and he didn't play well in the first game neither so why should we exempt desharnais from losing his position, he needs to prove he belongs there and he hasn't so give someone else a chance, it's only fair.

Stop talking liking desharnais has had any passion in the 6 games, slightly more passionate than Cole but no drive from him at all. Everything you said about eller could be said about desharnais aswell the difference between the two of them is one hasnt had the opportunity to play his natural natural position and one has. Call it an excuse, it's the truth eller has always been **** on the wing some centers can never adjust to the wing. And if desharnais was moved to the wing I'm sure you too would be complaining about not being in his most comfortable position.
¸Do you realize how much the bolded doesn't make ANY sense?

Old
02-01-2013, 06:54 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
While I have no problem with the idea to scratch DD due to his poor performance, scratching him in order to make room to the ONLY player who has been worse than him so far is completely senseless.
Fine but like I've said before eller isn't a winger just like desharnais isn't just like galchenyuk isn't and just like plekanec isn't. Play any of them as a winger none of them will succeed, no difference with eller in that regard.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:57 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
¸Do you realize how much the bolded doesn't make ANY sense?

Do you know what ive been saying all along? Eller isn't a ****ing winger the difference between eller on the wing and as a center is night and day. I'm only saying give him a chance and desharnais not playing well is the perfect time to try something new.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:02 AM
MXD

Quote:
Fine but like I've said before eller isn't a winger just like desharnais isn't just like galchenyuk isn't and just like plekanec isn't. Play any of them as a winger none of them will succeed, no difference with eller in that regard.
So Eller should get handed a spot for reasons not based on his play?!?!

Old
02-01-2013, 07:02 AM
MXD

Quote:
Do you know what ive been saying all along? Eller isn't a ****ing winger the difference between eller on the wing and as a center is night and day. I'm only saying give him a chance and desharnais not playing well is the perfect time to try something new.
Eller is playing worse...

Old
02-01-2013, 07:13 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
So Eller should get handed a spot for reasons not based on his play?!?!
Its a matter of opinion I think desharnais should be scratched because he's he hasn't played well and because eller has never had the opportunity to play as a top six centre. What's so wrong with giving him a shot? I mean it's not like that line was doing anything to help us win anyways, so if the trend continues were not sacrificing a win to let eller play centre.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:13 AM
MXD

Quote:
I know Eller isn't a winger.
But it's pretty much Wing, 4th line C or Scratch at the moment.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:18 AM
MXD

Quote:
Its a matter of opinion I think desharnais should be scratched because he's he hasn't played well and because eller has never had the opportunity to play as a top six centre. What's so wrong with giving him a shot? I mean it's not like that line was doing anything to help us win anyways, so if the trend continues were not sacrificing a win to let eller play centre.
It's wrong to give him a shot because he actually played his way out of the lineup... not up the depth chart.

Don't get me wrong -- I'd like to see DD scratched, or moved to wing for a short period. But swtiching him for Eller would send a very, very wrong message at the moment. If anything, I'd prefer having Bournival than Eller replacing DD at the moment.

Closed Thread