HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Stepan

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

vCash: 500
Let's name the next Stepan crisis thread, "Step needs to take the next Step"

Old
01-31-2013, 10:00 AM
Joe11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdlineglory View Post
The thing is he is already a legit #2 center, possibly could be a #1 center someday or at least a fringe #1 center.
He could be a # 1 center in the Swiss league, but after seeing his recent play, I'm beginning to doubt that.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Arrive at my level

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
Face it. If we're not playing terribly, something other than that has got to be terrible about our organization.
Our players suck because they don't mass 400 points a game.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
This is what happen since the "Fire Sather"-thread died....

And for Stepan, He needs to be stronger with the puck, he sure got the skills, but in order to take the next step and face the toughest d-men in the league, he must improve.
The thing that cencerns me (and others obviously) about stepan is "How much can he improve".

I like Stepan alot, but with his skill set I don't see him growing into much more than he is now. I saw the upside in DelZotto, I see in Kreider, but Stepan??
He's not a practicualrly fast or great skater, not overly physical.
He is a very heady player with a nice wrist shot and is a good passer. I don't see him growing into much more than a solid 45-50 point guy.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

I am honestly embarrassed for the fans of other teams who go on this board and read some of the stupid things that are said. This thread in particular.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
I am honestly embarrassed for the fans of other teams who go on this board and read some of the stupid things that are said. This thread in particular.
OK, I'll ask the question. Why are Rangers fans so ignorant?

Old
01-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Because Ranger fans are people and people are ignorant.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I do hope that people understand that part of why Eberle is getting paid 6 mil a season is because Edmonton bought up some UFA years, which are always more expensive. I love Eberle, but crying that we got Del Zotto instead of Eberle? That's jut silly. We got a good offensive defenseman, who had 41 points last season, and looks to be playing even better this season. His defensive play has been questioned since before he was drafted. He really has been taking the next step in that area of his game last season and so far in this one.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:07 PM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
He is a very heady player with a nice wrist shot and is a good passer.
Sounds a lot like Brad Richards to me, no reason to trade Stepan for Bozak just yet

Old
01-31-2013, 01:38 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
The Rangers are paying far less for one of the budding offensive defensemen in the league, who plays 20+ minutes per night.

Stepan has 25 less career points then this 6+ mil per season player. Stepan: 2.463 (rounded up) cap hit.

Del Zotto + Stepan = approx 5 million cap hit.
You make a very good point here.
Look, Del Zotto has always exhibited very good offensive awareness augmented by excellent passing skills and he may very well turn out to be a gem in the rough.
Stepan? While he has very good hockey intelligence! awareness and
passing skills, he also has many holes in his game that I believe will stymie his development going forward.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:57 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Arrive at my level

Didn't even notice people complaining about how we didn't take Eberle. What the hell

Old
01-31-2013, 02:48 PM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Didn't even notice people complaining about how we didn't take Eberle. What the hell
I wonder how well Eberle would play under Torts though.. the Oilers are and have been hawaii hockey for the past 5 years

Old
01-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Arrive at my level

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
I wonder how well Eberle would play under Torts though.. the Oilers are and have been hawaii hockey for the past 5 years
I know. He'd probably crack under torts at that rate. I'm just saying, why are we complaining about this?

Old
01-31-2013, 04:09 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I've been watching Stepan for years now. He plays his best hockey when he has a guy with size on his line. He's not a fast skater, but he's agile. If he gets some open space, you can see the magic he can generate with his vision and hockey sense. He was excellent with Anisimov, played his best minutes of the season with guys like Boyle and Pyatt on his line and was stellar at the WC with Blake Wheeler on his wing. He's a very good player who can, and often does make the players around him better. However, if he had better wheels and a better shot, we wouldn't be griping about him as a #2C, because he'd be a #1 center.

I'm telling you, get this kid out there with someone who can create space -- whether that's Pyatt or someone else, and he, along with his linemates will benefit from it. Not all great players are guys who carry a line themselves. Sometimes you just need to give them the right situation to succeed.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:20 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I've been watching Stepan for years now. He plays his best hockey when he has a guy with size on his line. He's not a fast skater, but he's agile. If he gets some open space, you can see the magic he can generate with his vision and hockey sense. He was excellent with Anisimov, played his best minutes of the season with guys like Boyle and Pyatt on his line and was stellar at the WC with Blake Wheeler on his wing. He's a very good player who can, and often does make the players around him better. However, if he had better wheels and a better shot, we wouldn't be griping about him as a #2C, because he'd be a #1 center.

I'm telling you, get this kid out there with someone who can create space -- whether that's Pyatt or someone else, and he, along with his linemates will benefit from it. Not all great players are guys who carry a line themselves. Sometimes you just need to give them the right situation to succeed.
agree completely

i'd like to see him with Nash and Pyatt then put Hags back with Gaborik and Richards

Old
01-31-2013, 09:27 PM
Joe11

Quote:

OK, now I get it, its all his linemates fault that he has done nothing positive during the playoffs and this season.

Who knows if he was playing with Crosby & Malkin maybe he would have 1 goal in the past 20 games, instead of ZERO

Old
01-31-2013, 09:30 PM
Maaxse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
agree completely

i'd like to see him with Nash and Pyatt then put Hags back with Gaborik and Richards
That sounds good.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:32 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

Been asking for a Kreider-Stepan-Nash line for a while now.

When Kreider returns.

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Nash

Old
01-31-2013, 09:39 PM
Lundsanity30

He looks so awful right now, but even though we are all pissed, we all know he's better than this, alot better.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
OK, now I get it, its all his linemates fault that he has done nothing positive during the playoffs and this season.

Who knows if he was playing with Crosby & Malkin maybe he would have 1 goal in the past 20 games, instead of ZERO
You and I are on the same page regarding Stephanie. Some people around here think that he doesn't have to score goals as long as he gets assist. Pretty sound logic! Lol

Old
01-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Been asking for a Kreider-Stepan-Nash line for a while now.

When Kreider returns.

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
when is Kreider returning? and when everyone is healthy. I'd like to see something like this.

Gaborik (wasn't he practicing LW?) - Richards- Callahan
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Boyle-Pyatt

Old
01-31-2013, 09:42 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
You and I are on the same page regarding Stephanie. Some people around here think that he doesn't have to score goals as long as he gets assist. Pretty sound logic! Lol
So wait, if he had 5 goals and 40 assists in a 48 game season (just saying), that wouldn't be a good season? almost a ppg?

Old
01-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
The thing that cencerns me (and others obviously) about stepan is "How much can he improve".

I like Stepan alot, but with his skill set I don't see him growing into much more than he is now. I saw the upside in DelZotto, I see in Kreider, but Stepan??
He is a very heady player with a nice wrist shot and is a good passer. I don't see him growing into much more than a solid 45-50 point guy.
Bingo; we have a winner! I've been saying exactly that all along about Stepan. Oh by the way, to the genius who thinks he's better than Henrique, he returned tonite to the Devils and scored a goal!

Last edited by JeffMangum: 01-31-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 09:48 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
So wait, if he had 5 goals and 40 assists in a 48 game season (just saying), that wouldn't be a good season? almost a ppg?
Get serious already, will you please!

Old
01-31-2013, 09:51 PM
Joe11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Yes, that would probably be a good season.

But I ask all you guys praising him, one question --- Have you seen him make a really good pass this season that set someone up for a goal? or even a good scoring chance?

Closed Thread