Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

The more things change, the more they stay the same: Jets lose to lowly Cats

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 09:46 PM
blueandgoldguy

vCash: 500
Things looked promising in the first 10 minutes of the game. Jets dominated with shots on goal and it appeared most of the action was in Florida's end and then for some reason, things changed.

IS there a flu going around this team? I just don' t understand the lack of effort. For a big team the jets certainly don't play big. Florida was better on the forecheck for most of the game and seemed to outwork the Jets along the boards.

Pavs has been disappointing this year with the exception of two games. Poor rebound control and poor glove hand. Sure, he makes some good saves, but he does not do it on a consistent enough basis to be considered a good goalie let alone an elite one.

Power play is awful and the penalty kill seems way too passive, at least compared to Florida it does. A couple dumb penalties taken by the Jets in the third too.

On the plus side, I thought Wheeler played a solid game.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:50 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
If I could somehow inject myself into the Jet's lineup and did this on the ice, would the horrible losses seem any lighter?
Yes. In the meantime a gif. will do.

01-31-2013, 09:52 PM
Prot

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Pavelec did make some very nice saves in the first two periods, but then gave up a pair of softies in the 3rd. It's a zero sum game with him, he's making big saves and allowing stoppable shots..
I agree with what you're saying but I'm seeing Pav's as someone who isn't quite a hundred percent yet. He's not losing us games, but he's certainly not winning any. There are points in every game where I can think of outstanding saves, and softies getting through him.

There is an effort issue here. Too many players that we NEED to perform didn't even show up tonight.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:52 PM
Damascus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Yes. In the meantime a gif. will do.
I promise, which you can hold me to.. if the Jet's play as bad as this again I will videotape me punching myself in the face to make a gif with it

Old
01-31-2013, 09:54 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
I promise, which you can hold me to.. if the Jet's play as bad as this again I will videotape me punching myself in the face to make a gif with it
Might as well set up your camera now.

Old
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

nothing changes... we live and die by Pavelec's save percentage...
Yes everyone else was pretty terrible but had Pavelec played strong who knows if there would have been a butterfly effect. I don't fully blame Pavelec... I don't see TNSE or the goalie coach doing much on his very well known weaknesses that I see other teams constantly exploit...

*Sigh*

Old
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Kane's been playing great lately, so it's hard to get too down on him, but man did he have some WTF moments this game. The giveaway that led to the 5th goal was the obvious one, but there were several other moments where he just seemed unaware of his surroundings, and did nothing useful with the puck.
Kane has had those in every single game this season. Normally his running around and hitting and scoring cover it up, but if he is not those mistakes get noticed more. Kane is very poor defensively, and not smart in the attack. That never changes.

But he'll bounce back and have a good game here soon. He is what he is and overall he helps the team. Sucks on nights like tonight, but it's part of life of having the highs of Kane, you will have games like tonight.

Pavelec needs to be better. I mean really, that is the key here. It's not like that's 100% his fault, but really he needs to be. Does not seem to rise to the occasion. Would like to bring in a Bernier to push Pavelec. Never liked his long term deal, and it might come bite us in the ass yet if he cannot figure his **** out. Problem is that the Jets NEED him to figure it out right now, this core cannot afford to miss the playoffs again in a mediocre spot.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:55 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm honestly not even mad. Disappointed, yes, but when a team displays what we did tonight, it looks good on them to lose like this. Be embarrassed. Like Wheeler said in postgame, if we can't get up for tomorrow nights game, we've got a problem.

We'll see, I fully expect us to get blown out tomorrow vs. Tampa. On the flip side I won't be surprised if we play well given Tampa is a good team and we generally play up or down to the opposition, which is a huge problem.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:55 PM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
Jesus you guys sound like a bunch of ninnies.

I understand that having a team back home is new but I very much doubt any of you just started watching hockey. These are the ebbs and flows of a season. We're not going to blow the roof off every night and we're not going to **** the bed every night either. The key is to find consistency and that, believe it or not, is a process. We're 7 games in and we're 3-3-2... things could be alot worse.

Get a grip.

Edit: Alot of people mention that we seem to play up or down to our position; it's the same thing I saw as a Canucks fan before they started being perennial Presidents Trophy contenders. Winners learn that they can't play that way and take every game as seriously as the next. If we're not at that point yet, so what? This team is LEARNING and I'm still confident we can and will make the playoffs.

The tears can flow if we're down and out after 30 games... until then I choose to look at things objectively.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:56 PM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 200
What's the deal with Buff? He injured himself before the skate today? Noel seemed pissed when asked about it...

Old
01-31-2013, 09:56 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Everyone shoots high glove on Pav... that's the book and until he fixes that, there won't be any steps forward.

You can make all the "Save of the Year" plays you want but the one soft goal a game on average will make all the highlights meaningless.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:57 PM
Damascus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post
Jesus you guys sound like a bunch of ninnies.

I understand that having a team back home is new but I very much doubt any of you just started watching hockey. These are the ebbs and flows of a season. We're not going to blow the roof off every night and we're not going to **** the bed every night either. The key is to find consistency and that, believe it or not, is a process. We're 7 games in and we're 3-3-2... things could be alot worse.

Get a grip.
Well to be honest, I grew up in Alberta and watched the Oilers since the late 90s and.. let's just say they never had a roster this nice when they sucked.

Old
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
nothing changes... we live and die by Pavelec's save percentage...
Yes everyone else was pretty terrible but had Pavelec played strong who knows if there would have been a butterfly effect. I don't fully blame Pavelec... I don't see TNSE or the goalie coach doing much on his very well known weaknesses that I see other teams constantly exploit...

*Sigh*
Not even sure Ashton Kutcher could've helped us tonight.

Old
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
What's the deal with Buff? He injured himself before the skate today? Noel seemed pisses when asked about it...
Another pancake incident.

Old
JetsFan815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
I agree with what you're saying but I'm seeing Pav's as someone who isn't quite a hundred percent yet. He's not losing us games, but he's certainly not winning any. There are points in every game where I can think of outstanding saves, and softies getting through him.

There is an effort issue here. Too many players that we NEED to perform didn't even show up tonight.
Pavs has been quite average to below average. Certainly not the bonafide #1 goalie that people though he was gonna show up as this season. I wonder what we could have gotten for him last season when the Flyers were apparently interested in him

Old
01-31-2013, 09:58 PM
Damascus

Quote:
Originally Posted by broinwhyteridge View Post
I was going to say that. But he seems more like a Wings kind of guy

Old
01-31-2013, 10:02 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
I said maybe a donut fell off the table and landed on the top of his foot

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Old
01-31-2013, 10:04 PM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
Just to add on to what I said earlier, it's not just the Canucks that you can look to for evidence. The Blues have taken years of people saying they've been on the ups to finally get to where the are.

I remember the first year the Kings got into the playoffs and got dummied by the Canucks everybody said it would take time but they'd figure it out. They won the cup what... three years later?

I believe, with the roster we have, we should be making the playoffs. Anybody who thinks we should be running away with the division or are a shoe-in for home ice advantage is kidding themselves. It's going to be a long battle to get in, but we're 7 games in and haven't done anything to sinkhole our chances yet. Enough of this "ehhhhh I'm starting to wonder about Noel" crap.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:04 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I said maybe a donut fell off the table and landed on the top of his foot
And then he bent over to pick it up and hit his head on the table?

Old
01-31-2013, 10:05 PM
Prot

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
Pavs has been quite average to below average. Certainly not the bonafide #1 goalie that people though he was gonna show up as this season. I wonder what we could have gotten for him last season when the Flyers were apparently interested in him
I agree he MUST play better for the Jets to be contenders. But what I am saying is if you make a list of players that phoned it in tonight, Pav wouldn't make my top 5 on that list.

I still think there is a coaching issue. This team has enough raw talent to make playoffs (not win them all, but MAKE them).

And this isn't an overreaction because it was the same issue last year, and it's starting to creep in. If you can beat teams like the Pens, and come back from 2 goal deficits, then you've got something. But if you can't beat bottom feeder teams there is something else really wrong here.... and it's not the roster.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:05 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Not even sure Ashton Kutcher could've helped us tonight.
Ian Malcolm could have.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:06 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

He probably saw Pavelec going for one of his "once in awhile" cheat meals, then tried to play interventionist and stop it while unfortunately tearing his cervix in the process.

True story.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Ian Malcolm could have.
Why he isn't coaching this team I still don't know. Every press conference of games we won would be legendary.

"Jeff, how did you win tonight".

Old
01-31-2013, 10:07 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
I dunno man, consensus here seems to have been that he's been playing somewhere between ok and below average.

It's weird, because he's been better statistically, but it seems like he's giving up more bad goals on average than he was last year. Too many pucks from 30+ feet getting by him, or yielding brutal rebounds (ie. on Mueller's goal).
People are being to bipolar about it. Now people think all you have to to do is go glove high. Well there was a point when that wasn't a weakness and high blocker was. People only think they know the deal with Pavs when in reality, he's still just not consistent enough and can't get breakaways/shootouts figured out. This year hasn't seemed like the norm for him. Might be because we started the season in January so idk. The only thing I hate about this board is how much people jump to conclusions. So annoying. This is only his 3rd year as the #1 guy.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:08 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
And then he bent over to pick it up and hit his head on the table?
its a lower body

maybe he pulled a hammy leaning over

Closed Thread