HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers SLOP FEST!!!

Old
01-31-2013, 09:40 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

vCash: 500
I'm sure it's been mentioned but they said Kunitz was playing while sick. I mean it's still scary that I didn't notice a difference in his game (lol) but just saying.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:40 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Maybe you should ask Tortorella and Laviolette.
Wasn't Hitch's team swept in the playoffs last year? They should have added a 5th breakout.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Weekend At Kunie's

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Consider it the stretch passing of roster management.
Hey, sometimes it works.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I'm sure it's been mentioned but they said Kunitz was playing while sick. I mean it's still scary that I didn't notice a difference in his game (lol) but just saying.
Maybe it's one of those 2 week flues.

Old
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
And there's another way to spark Kunitz and Neal... bring Kunitz back onto Geno's line. At this point Jeffrey would do a better job on Sid's line... maybe even try Boychuk up there a couple games. Shero is going to make a trade at some point IMO and then this will be a non-issue but moving Neal off Geno's line is just going to swap the problem. Geno's production will suffer etc.
Kunitz on Malkin's line wouldn't be a bad idea. It's just that I like what I see from Jeffrey on Malkin's line. I just don't understand why it's so taboo to put Neal on Crosby's line.

We all know that Shero needs to get 2 more wingers anyway, so it's not like Malkin is going to be stuck playing with inferior players forever.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:42 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
One ES goal, and the tip in tonight was a PP goal set up by Crosby. Like I said 5v5, not PP and faceoff plays.

I'm not moving Neal to placate anybody. I'm moving Neal to jumpstart both Neal and Kunitz.
3 ESG ... (1) against Philly, (1) from the first NYR game and (1) against the Sens

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:43 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Geno's willingness to win will depend on money. Nothing more, nothing less, unless they start dicking around with Neal.
I vehemently disagree with that statement based on every single thing Geno has ever said and done in his entire career.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:44 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Wasn't Hitch's team swept in the playoffs last year? They should have added a 5th breakout.
Second round against the cup champs in their first time out.

Second round . . . I seem to recall what it was like watching the Pens in one of those right at the turn of the decade.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:44 PM
mpp9

Quote:
If a home-grown winger or waiver pick-up proves himself worthy of the role, then Shero has done his job just fine.
A rookie with no NHL experience with size issues and a waiver pick up with even less size. Sounds like a recipe for success.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:45 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Sid had a good game though he still made a mehhhhh uncharacteristic boneheaded passes on the PP... but made up for it with some nice ones.

If Kunitz wasn't so useless right now, Sid would be looking much better. Jeffrey looked good with Neal and Malkin tonight (been pumping his tires forever) so I don't want to move him, but otherwise I would suggest swapping Kunitz for Jeffrey.

Weird, stagnate game. Vokoun played well but good on the D for limiting chances and cleaning everything up.

A win on the road in the division is nice any way you slice it.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IcedCapp
Deathpres

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
A rookie with no NHL experience with size issues and a waiver pick up with even less size. Sounds like a recipe for success.
What we have to do is move Kunitz to Geno's wing, because Geno's the better player, and if you want any talent on Sid's wing, it's because he's Canadian. Dupuis and a waiver wire pickup will be good enough.

(ad hominems and logical fallacies are fun, so I thought I'd play with some)

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
3 ESG ... (1) against Philly, (1) from the first NYR game and (1) against the Sens
Well I did say the past few games. Look I never said Geno and Neal don't have chemistry together. I'm just suggesting doing this to get both Neal and Kunitz jump started.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:46 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp;58795313[B
]I don't think they should move Neal at this point, but I do question this line of thinking...[/B] does this mean Crosby is being treated as a second-class citizen right now?

There's too much polarization going on in the fan base over these two: Crosby will be fine with whoever, give all wingers to Malkin, make Geno happy so he re-signs, Geno was part of the best line in the NHL last year, put it back together!, Crosby's already signed, worry about Geno! Crosby's being lazy, etc etc etc...

Let's just put the best team together and assume these guys want to be a part of it one way or the other.
No. Do you think that is the case? Geno and Neal are working well together over a long stretch of games. If they stop for a long stretch, then yeah you break them up. I don't see what that has to do with Sid. But I do believe breaking them up now, or the near future without cause wouldn't make sense, if the move is made to put Neal with Sid, to get Sid going. If the reverse was the case, and it was Neal and Sid tearing it up over a season and you move Neal to jump start Geno, I would have the same sentiment. It is about not fixing what ain't broke, not I prefer one over the other.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:48 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Weekend At Kunie's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Again...

Quote:
Not the likeliest outcome, but stranger things have happened. Just covering my bases.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:50 PM
chethejet

Malkin will like his career to continue in Pittsburgh. But the player development beyond Bennett, Morrow and Harrington is not very good. Shero is responsible for player development and quite frankly, he is not done a very good job. Bylsma needs to go as he is not the coach for this franchise. I certainly bounce Bylsma and consider Shero as vulnerable as well.

chethejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:51 PM
IcedCapp
Deathpres

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
No. Do you think that is the case? Geno and Neal are working well together over a long stretch of games. If they stop for a long stretch, then yeah you break them up. I don't see what that has to do with Sid. But I do believe breaking them up now, or the near future without cause wouldn't make sense, if the move is made to put Neal with Sid, to get Sid going. If the reverse was the case, and it was Neal and Sid tearing it up over a season and you move Neal to jump start Geno, I would have the same sentiment. It is about not fixing what ain't broke, not I prefer one over the other.
No, I don't. My point is: people need to stop bringing it up. I don't think anyone in the organization is sitting there thinking, "gosh, we gotta get wingers to make people happy" or "gosh, is Sid jealous of Geno?" or "Does Geno think that we love him, we REALLY love him? Or do we need to send him a Valentine's day Winger to prove our affection?"

They just do the best they can to build a good team. Those things don't enter their minds (imo).

And again, I specifically said I would NOT move Neal. But Geno or Sid's happiness isn't why.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:55 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Maybe you should ask Tortorella and Laviolette.
You mean the Tortorella who's team was in the conference finals last year?

You mean the Laviolette who's team in his three full years has never failed to make the second round and would get bounced only by a cup finalist or winner?

In golf, there's a saying: You shoot for show, and you putt for dough. Well, Bylsma has proven to be quite the shooter.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:56 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Second round against the cup champs in their first time out.

Second round . . . I seem to recall what it was like watching the Pens in one of those right at the turn of the decade.
A sweep is a sweep. If we're going to play coaching games, there must have been SOME adjustment made to stem the tide, especially against a coach who had spent the last 7 years...not coaching.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:57 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Quote:

You mean the Laviolette who's team in his three full years has never failed to make the second round and would get bounced only by a cup finalist or winner?

In golf, there's a saying: You shoot for show, and you putt for dough. Well, Bylsma has proven to be quite the shooter.
You mean the Bylsma that has won a cup and Jack Adams (separate years) in the last 5 years?

Or are we disregarding our coaches' accomplishments?

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:57 PM
KIRK

Quote:
A sweep is a sweep. If we're going to play coaching games, there must have been SOME adjustment made to stem the tide, especially against a coach who had spent the last 7 years...not coaching.
That coach who'd been out for seven years forgets more about coaching in a week than Bylsma will ever know.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:59 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
You mean the Bylsma that has won a cup and Jack Adams (separate years) in the last 5 years?

Or are we disregarding our coaches' accomplishments?
From 4 years ago?

So, let me know in advance. What's the excuse going to be this time? Short season and no camp?

And, next year, will you be talking about his accomplishments from five years ago. And the year after six years ago?

Let me know what the expiration date on living in the increasingly distant past is, so I can avoid being in such a hurry to cast so unfair a judgment on this team's coaching.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:00 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Is it St. Louis we're comparing ourselves too? They play the way the Penguins THINK they play. They're a pain to play against, skate hard all the time, and minimize chances. The last few years we've played like that mostly in the regular season and it's not unusual for us to lose and look bad trying to play that game. The playoffs, well god knows how we play.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I vehemently disagree with that statement based on every single thing Geno has ever said and done in his entire career.
Agreed.

And to Cole's point about "don't read too much into this", I agree and suggested it in the predictions phase.

The only time this team seems to get emotionally charged up (even though tonight they were only energetic about half the time) is when they play the Flyers or Rangers. To me that suggests it's the opponents and not the coach who is motivating the players to improve their focus.

As soon as we go back to some mediocre opponents, or those we think are "less challenging" than NYR and Philly, we'll go back to the style of hockey we played the other night most likely.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:02 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Weekend At Kunie's

Quote:

Yes. Those are the coaches I'd like you to ask if competence is too much to expect at this point of the season.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:02 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
No, I don't. My point is: people need to stop bringing it up. I don't think anyone in the organization is sitting there thinking, "gosh, we gotta get wingers to make people happy" or "gosh, is Sid jealous of Geno?" or "Does Geno think that we love him, we REALLY love him? Or do we need to send him a Valentine's day Winger to prove our affection?"

They just do the best they can to build a good team. Those things don't enter their minds (imo).

And again, I specifically said I would NOT move Neal. But Geno or Sid's happiness isn't why.
I would disagree with that. These players have huge egos. And I definitely think the FO realizes that. They have to. Having said that, I think the FO is working hard, not to expressly please anyone, but to make the team better. I agree with you on that. No doubt. And it only makes sense to get Sid a good winger and maximize his talent. But your star players happiness is a big part of things.

That is why we don't see two separate power plays. Neither Sid or Geno will go for that. They both want to play on the 1st unit. Sid has pretty much said that in past interviews. That neither would be happy being the 2nd unit guy. Staal always had slightly to not so slightly veiled comments (in local interviews that I heard) that "hey I better be in the top 6 in a few years". (obviously paraphrasing). He can say it was about being with family, and that may be a bonus, but imo, it was his situation that was the cause of his wanting to be traded. He simply was not happy with his role. And with Sid and Geno, they want to win, but they both want to be the best player in the world. And they are fine with the other, as long as they feel they are getting an even shake.

Now that is just imo, and view of pro players in pretty much all sports. Hey they want to win, but they want what is best for them first. Once again, jmo.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote