HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers SLOP FEST!!!

Old
01-31-2013, 10:25 PM
MtlPenFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
As someone else already mentioned, we didn't look too strong in our first go round when we were still growing either. Plus their goalie stats must speak to you in terms of how their whole team plays. Ours never looked like that.
And again, it didn't do a hell of a lot when it really counted.

No offense Brooks, but don't compare us losing to the Sens, a seasoned, veteran team that was poised for years to make a run, to the St.Louis situation.

It's not like the Kings had been on the precipice for years and were just waiting to bust out.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:25 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Late to the party...watched the game from the start after working through the first two periods.

+ Despres. He's still inconsistent out there - he plays with a little too much confidence in the defensive zone sometimes and the penalty was a weak one to take...but outside of those two plays he was in position, he was making proper passes, he was playing generally a smart game...and that backhand was perfect. Overall a great game and he's already showing marked improvement from the start of the season.
+ Neal. That deflection was Crosby-esque.
+ Adams. For as much derision as he's taken, and likely will continue to get around here...he's been far closer to the Adams he was during the Cup run and following season than the Adams that deserved the derision from last year. PKing ace.
+ Cooke. He had at least two opportunities to surgically remove a Rangers' head from their shoulders and instead went for a little bump...his mere presence through the players off. His game itself wasn't anything to write home about outside of some great work on the PK, but this is the kind of game that convinces me that he actually has changed.
+ Vokoun. So positionally sound. The Rangers didn't have many great chances today, but they also didn't get any random good chances because of the goalie taking himself out of the play. It's so nice to have a goalie who's always where he should be.

- The game. Blech. Two sloppy teams trying to out-suck each other.
- The Rangers. They just look awful right now. Even less chemistry than what we have. The Penguins didn't play a good game tonight and the 3-0 score was still deserved based on how much worse the Rangers looked out there.
- The NY Rangers announcers...the NHL Network uses the home team's feed and I suddenly understand why so many Rangers fans are the way they are. Every time a Penguin fell down they were "trying to call a penalty", every time a Ranger fell down "that could have been a penalty". Come on. The dumbest thing was the lengthy rant against Crosby for not getting why he was looking at the ref after being checked into the boards - I agree with the non-call by the ref, but Del Zotto's left hand was on the #8 as he rode Crosby into the boards...far lesser plays have been called boarding this year.
This may be the type of game that convinces one that Cooke has changed, but it's a change from a lunatic to someone without a pulse.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:27 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
And again, it didn't do a hell of a lot when it really counted.

No offense Brooks, but don't compare us losing to the Sens, a seasoned, veteran team that was poised for years to make a run, to the St.Louis situation.

It's not like the Kings had been on the precipice for years and were just waiting to bust out.
No, but the Kings were THE team that comes along every year that goes on a run and hits its potential at precisely the right moment.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:29 PM
Woodrow
I hate yo-yo's

I thought both teams played like crap.

Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:30 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepper View Post
I thought both teams played like crap.
You thought right.

EDIT: I stand corrected . . .

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
Coach Bylsma: We played very well throughout the whole game. We had 60-minute effort. That was a good road win. A good 3-0 victory

EDIT TWO: O'k, now I'm really confused . . .

Pat Leonard ‏@NYDNRangers
Tortorella says probably Rangers' worst game of the year. "Dumbfounding" performance. Richards says team was just "sloppy"

Last edited by KIRK: 01-31-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I compared the end of Therrien's tenure and Bylsma's recent tenure in terms of on ice product. So, you've really lost me now.

Look, you think Bylsma should get another playoff run and, depending upon how it ends and if there's a convenient excuse, more. I don't think it should be automatic.
We talked about their respective records, and not once did the fact that 6 of Bylsma's games came "when it mattered" factor into the discussion.

I just think there's a lot of selective arguments going on here.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

Quote:
The dumbest thing was the lengthy rant against Crosby for not getting why he was looking at the ref after being checked into the boards - I agree with the non-call by the ref, but Del Zotto's left hand was on the #8 as he rode Crosby into the boards...far lesser plays have been called boarding this year. It's pretty easy to understand why Crosby looked at the ref. He didn't bark at the ref, he didn't complain to the ref, he never even opened his mouth...he just looked at him.
del zotto had his stick between crosby's legs (god that sounds awful) which i dont think is allowed, and he was pushing crosby's skate with his stick. I think thats why Crosby was like wtf mate.

Zatch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:33 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
O'k, so now the standard is Montreal. Got it. It's New York and Philly, but only during the regular season, STL if we ignore the round and to whom they lost, and now Montreal because Therrien is there (and anyone who wants to compare how Sid, Geno, and the rest of the team looked in Therrien's last games to how they look now also has to look at Montreal now since Therrien is coach).

Really . . . if you want to tell me Bylsma deserves the season no matter what, then I may disagree, but at least I'll respect your opinion. The bull**** above, however, is beneath you.
I'm not ignoring the round in which St. Louis lost to. They beat the seventh seed Sharks who needed a 7-3 run at the end to even make the playoffs. Then they got ramrodded in the second round.

I'm bringing up Therrien because it seems I have had to read his name from more than one person as an example to follow simply because his current team went on a little streak. My point was that EVERY coach has his whipping boy, every coach juggles lines, and every coach plays favorites with those who don't deserve it.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:33 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
ELMER has arrived. Recognize. Hopefully Bylsma doesn't bench him for taking a penalty.
Gotta put my two cents in here.

Despres is not Elmer. He is the Starchild. This is why:

Paul Stanley was the Starchild in KISS
Despres looks just like Paul Stanley
KISS played a show in Quebec on October 19th, 1990
Despres was born in Quebec on July 27th, 1991 -- About 9 months exactly afterwards.

You do the math.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:39 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
IWC Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
You thought right.

EDIT: I stand corrected . . .

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
Coach Bylsma: We played very well throughout the whole game. We had 60-minute effort. That was a good road win. A good 3-0 victory
Good freaking lord.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:51 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Congrats to Vokoun!

Thank you for beating the Rags!!!!

01-31-2013, 11:08 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Good freaking lord.
Corroborated by Malkin, just in case anybody thinks it's strictly BylsmaTalk.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:19 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Congrats to Vokoun!

Thank you for beating the Rags!!!!
I actually got a whisper once for one of their mods for being one of the most known Rangers' haters, and specifically because I used the term 'Rags.' I was told it meant Tampon, at least to them. Honestly, that never occured to me in a million years. I always thought that it was just shortened like 'Pens.' Granted I do hate the Rangers, their fans specifically. I would boo a New York 7 year old girl in a spelling bee to tears just on principle. But that term? I have not used it since because of that.

The Isles and their posters here at HF I always got along well with. I can hardly believe that they are New Yorkers. I can have a rational and enjoyable conversation with Isle fans and they have always been one of my favorite fan bases. But Ranger fans? Nope. But I have shied awau from that term for a while.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:23 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I actually got a whisper once for one of their mods for being one of the most known Rangers' haters, and specifically because I used the term 'Rags.' I was told it meant Tampon, at least to them. Honestly, that never occured to me in a million years. I always thought that it was just shortened like 'Pens.' Granted I do hate the Rangers, their fans specifically, but that term? I have not used it since because of that.

The Isles and their posters here at HF I always got along well with. I can hardly believe that you all are New Yorkers. I can have a rational and enjoyable conversation with Isle fans and they have always been one of my favorite fan bases.
The "Derogatory Nicknames" rule, or whatever it is, came up mostly because of player nicknames (without outright saying it, think Luongo and his penchant for allowing 7 goals against in playoff games...our dear friend Cindy Crysbaby also played into it a bit). It's up to the discretion as to if the nickname is meant in malice or not. Rangers fans rallied to get 'Rags' included in the list of no-nos.

Before posts started getting changed last year I'd never even thought of Rags as a derogatory name. That was no different in my eyes than Bolts, Pens, or Sens...it was just the single syllable shortened version of the name.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:24 PM
Jaded-Fan

As for the game?

Ok, glad we won. But we always beat the Rangers. We own them and have for years, we just are a terrible matchup for them. Let me see what we do Saturday before I give the Pens any credit for improvement.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:25 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
The "Derogatory Nicknames" rule, or whatever it is, came up mostly because of player nicknames (without outright saying it, think Luongo and his penchant for allowing 7 goals against in playoff games). It's up to the discretion as to if the nickname is meant in malice or not. Rangers fans rallied to get 'Rags' included in the list of no-nos.

Before posts started getting changed last year I'd never even thought of Rags as a derogatory name. That was no different in my eyes than Bolts, Pens, or Sens...it was just the single syllable shortened version of the name.
Yeah like I said it shocked me to get that whisper. It never even occured to me.

Though most known Ranger hater at HF I wear as kind of a badge of honor. I think I may be up there with the Flyers too. I am going to have a T-Shirt made. But I did not stop because of the whisper, that was entirely too ewwww worthy to continue if they were seeing that in that way.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:25 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
The "Derogatory Nicknames" rule, or whatever it is, came up mostly because of player nicknames (without outright saying it, think Luongo and his penchant for allowing 7 goals against in playoff games). It's up to the discretion as to if the nickname is meant in malice or not. Rangers fans rallied to get 'Rags' included in the list of no-nos.

Epic avatar.

Any Ron Swanson or Andy Dwyer quote usually will make my day.

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:26 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Yeah like I said it shocked me to get that whisper. It never even occured to me.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
Illinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Gotta put my two cents in here.

Despres is not Elmer. He is the Starchild. This is why:

Paul Stanley was the Starchild in KISS
Despres looks just like Paul Stanley
KISS played a show in Quebec on October 19th, 1990
Despres was born in Quebec on July 27th, 1991 -- About 9 months exactly afterwards.

You do the math.

This is the best thing I've seen tonight.
There ought to be a gold star smiley so I can give you a gold star. Take this instead:

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:39 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Am I the only one still worried that the all most all of our offense comes from three guys? I know Despres & Dupuis have scored recently but for the most part it's all been Neal, Malkin, Crosby.
Uh, no? I'm pretty sure there's multiple threads and discussions about this very topic somewhere around here.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:51 PM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 177
Biggest plus this game was Lovejoy not playing. Despres had a beautiful goal coming out of the box as well.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2000
A win is great and all, but long-term I'm worried that the organization will look at the win column and not how the team actually performed, thinking that everything is back to normal and we're a well-oiled machine now.

I just have a sinking feeling that the only way anything major happens (ie. coaching change, trade for a legitimate winger) is if the team keeps losing games. The more wins, even if they're ugly and there are numerous issues with the roster, the more likely they'll stand pat.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Penguinzilla

+ Jeffrey for giving 110% and looking like he WANTS to be Malkin's winger. I know he won't be because he's not an old grinding winger that Bylsma likes, but he gave it a ton of effort. He didn't turd around like Tangradi.
+ Depres. Same as above. Even though he made a brutal give away in the 3rd, he had the passion and was going for it.

- Bortuzzo He was just kind of spazzing around, not really doing anything.

everyone else was good

Penguinzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:14 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
If money has anything to do with it, then Geno will be back in Russia. If winning another Cup is his goal, then he'll stay in Pittsburgh, unless (drop of a chance) he doubts this organization's ability to surround him and Sid with a winning team and a coach of similar caliber. And, the only way he ever would doubt that would be another one and done. Then again, I'm sure, if push came to shove, there's no way he'd ever really listen to guys like Kovalchuk preaching to him why the grass is greener on a team with Peter DeBoer as a coach and him and another good winger for linemates.
Would you believe I was in the middle of responding to you and my HDD died on my 1 month old laptop? Just spent the last however long with tech support, and a new one is on the way ... but I digress ...

I mentioned in another thread that for the first time I have a sliver of doubt about Geno re-signing. I agree with you, I don't think it's about money. And I also agree with you about wanting to win another cup. But, I think there's another factor, too.

What really makes me have that little nagging doubt is that recently Malkin has been pretty much front and center. He's been 'the guy'. He was the hero of the IIHF tournament for team Russia. He wore the 'C' for MMg. And, from comments he's made, I don't think he really likes the press, per say, but he's learned how to deal with them. There's a difference in his interviews now, he appears much more comfortable than he was, even doing them in English.

I obviously don't know the guy, but he's stepped out of the shadows and didn't look out of place. So, what gives me pause is that, just like Staal, he might leave to find a bigger role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Well I did say the past few games. Look I never said Geno and Neal don't have chemistry together. I'm just suggesting doing this to get both Neal and Kunitz jump started.
Again ... sorry for the late response ... but I don't think Neal needs jump started. And I'd have to question messing with the top scoring line on the team. There's no guarantee that Sid and Neal would play well together, especially since Sid doesn't always click right away with other players ... not a chance I'd want to see taken in such a short season, especially with all the other issues this team is having. Yes, Sid needs an upgrade at wing, but moving Neal to his line is likely to cause just as many if not more issues than it would solve.

And here's a mystery for you ... both Kunitz and Dupuis are coming off of career years. What the hell happened?

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:15 AM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Everyone wants to panic one way or the other. And I know this post will be glossed over, because most reasonable posts are... But this team needs a simple retool. Not a blow up.

Will removing DB solve everything? No? Will making a few trades solve everything? No. It's going to be a combo of a roster gaining identy and a change of philosophy. Can this happen without a coaching change, or trade? Yes, all be it more nose to the stone difficult but yes it can happen...

We have a good coach, we have great stars of elite talent, and solid complimentary players... This team lacks an identy.

If it happens current roster or current coach or Shero pulls a trigger on one of a coach or player(s) or both... Or neither... This team
Needs to find an identy and roll with it.

Because it has none right now.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote