HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Do we need a heavyweight enforcer...

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Darcy Hordichuk on waivers?
Yes 21 33.87%
No 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 09:21 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
Close this thread pls.
John Scott would disapprove.

At this moment, the Sabres are laughing it up at how Scott damned near killed Thornton and how the Bruins did not even offer up a fight after that.

Sorry man. Sometimes you have to counteract badasses with a bigger badass.

Gauthier and Martin have really left their legacy in Montreal.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:24 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
the ****?

i have never once said any of things you like to pretend i did. nice job propping up your overused strawman.

read what i said, again, if you still can't understand it, there's a GED out there with your name on it

you are good at this

I never said that you said anything.

All I said is that Montreal has been the softest team in the NHL for the last decade. Time for a different approach like when this franchise was winning Cups and we had some hard nosed players who would drop the gloves at a moment's notice.

We have no Stanley Cups during the soft pacifist period.

To repeat, I am saying that. Not you.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:24 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
see, i don't like reading this. the sedins are not soft. kaberle is soft. the sedins take a lot of hits, they go into the corners and they take a lot of abuse. they never fight back though and would rather draw a penalty than standing up to someone. if you say the sedins are soft, then the same goes for diaz, weber, eller, markov.

seriously, that final against the bruins made them look really bad and now people only see marchand treating them like a ***** and not their overall body of work if you permit me the expression

what he said
Sorry for my hate on the Sedin's, I just don't like them.
Markov is a bad ass and wont take **** from no one. Eller, at time's shown to be a bad ass too. Weber starts crap then goes to hide. Diaz is soft.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:28 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Markov is a bad ass and wont take **** from no one. Eller, at time's shown to be a bad ass too. Weber starts crap then goes to hide. Diaz is soft.
Lars Eller has never had a fight in the NHL. Nor will he ever have a fight in the NHL.

That is not being a bad ass. Sorry.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:30 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

i would gladly take a heavyweight as our 13th forward and i would dress him against the bruins, etc.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:30 PM
habtastic

No no and no!

We have the right team now (just missing Max).

We don't need to win heavyweight fights. Our team is playing great and the right amount of grit and emotion to win hockey games. What did Boston do when they were winning and Laraque wanted to fight to change the momentum? Nothing. Skated away and won.

As for the Stanley Cup victory*, do you remember how close they were to losing in the first round? (or against Tbay?)

The reason people are bringing up Boston, for those who think it's an inferiority thing is because:
- biggest rival
- they're goons and will likely try to goon it up
- F boston

I want to win the games cuz at the end of the day, that's what counts and by perfecting our hockey team, that's how we'll do it. Guys are not scared, so I challenge that argument's validity. What we need to worry about is that they are a good hockey team and we need to be perfect to beat them. That means getting Cole, DD and Eller into a great line and re-integrating PK successfully. And in 3-4 weeks, get Max back to domination mode. He's the real Bruins killer.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:31 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I never said that you said anything.

All I said is that Montreal has been the softest team in the NHL for the last decade. Time for a different approach like when this franchise was winning Cups and we had some hard nosed players who would drop the gloves at a moment's notice.

We have no Stanley Cups during the soft pacifist period.

To repeat, I am saying that. Not you.
alright then. not sure why you'd quote me, but ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p
i don't like them either, i just felt like some small correction of their record was in order

Old
01-31-2013, 09:34 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
alright then. not sure why you'd quote me, but ok.

i don't like them either, i just felt like some small correction of their record was in order
Nothing more than flow of the conversation.

I understand what you are saying when you referenced those teams. They did not goon it up and won a Cup. So I segued into how that is not working for Montreal.

Peace.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:35 PM
gusfring

Pretty clear the Scott-Thornton fight had a profound effect on tonight's game.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:43 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Peace.
indeed!

Old
01-31-2013, 09:45 PM
Et le But

I could care less about the Sedins but I hate when internet tough guys who probably never even came close to taking an NHL hit in their life complain that everyone who doesn't fight or is better on the perimeter is soft. The Sedins take a ton of abuse and do not fear paying the price in the corner or in front of the net, they don't retaliate but it's as much for their team as anything else since they are the most lethal PP weapon in the league.

This is one of the thing that annoys me, claiming every other player in the NHL is soft for not being a massive brawler. Taking abuse constantly isn't being soft, it cheapens the term. Soft players are guys who fear contact. Kaberle is soft, post-2010 Cammalleri became soft, guys like Kyle Wellwood and Pominville are soft. Pat Kane and Kessel are soft but get away with it mostly.

Last edited by Et le But: 01-31-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 09:46 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
i would gladly take a heavyweight as our 13th forward and i would dress him against the bruins, etc.
Who would you drop from the lineup assuming it was as healthy as last game's? I'm guessing Armstrong, White or Moen, which I can understand (it's not like I'm 100% against the idea of a Scott-type figure, I'd just rather not), but that line is actually pretty awesome for energy, defense and the occasional goal.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:52 PM
ROSSter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Totally agree, habs could use a heavyweight. Nothing revolutionary of a player but just a guy who can intimidate the big guys when you need it.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:57 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Lars Eller has never had a fight in the NHL. Nor will he ever have a fight in the NHL.

That is not being a bad ass. Sorry.
Okay, cause you need to fight to be considered not soft ? Hmmhmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I could care less about the Sedins but I hate when internet tough guys who probably never even came close to taking an NHL hit in their life complain that everyone who doesn't fight or is better on the perimeter is soft. The Sedins take a ton of abuse and do not fear paying the price in the corner or in front of the net, they don't retaliate but it's as much for their team as anything else since they are the most lethal PP weapon in the league.

This is one of the thing that annoys me, claiming every other player in the NHL is soft for not being a massive brawler. Taking abuse constantly isn't being soft, it cheapens the term. Soft players are guys who fear contact. Kaberle is soft, post-2010 Cammalleri became soft, guys like Kyle Wellwood and Pominville are soft. Pat Kane and Kessel are soft but get away with it mostly.
Sedin's are softies. You know why? They take ANYTHING that goes after the whistle. That is what i'm refering to when I say they are soft. Remember that Thornton thing in front of the referee ? Any man who has some respect for himself would've atleast gave a little shove. If that's not being soft, I don't know what it is.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:58 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
An enforcer at the expense of a forward that is better than him always pushes me away from the idea of wanting a heavyweight on our team. Remember Staubitz? The guy was useless in all aspects of the games other than fighting and there were times when we'd throw him out there against the Bruins and we'd still lose the game. Remember Laraque? We threw him out there on our first line against the Bruins with Koivu and higgins in the PLAYOFFS and that handicapped our first line. No one wanted to fight him so they'd just avoid him and all Laraque did was follow Lucic trying to challenge him, he was pretty much just skating around with more talented players all around him. Only way we should get an enforcer is if its someone like Neil, who could contribute offensively and physically.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:58 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Who would you drop from the lineup assuming it was as healthy as last game's? I'm guessing Armstrong, White or Moen, which I can understand (it's not like I'm 100% against the idea of a Scott-type figure, I'd just rather not), but that line is actually pretty awesome for energy, defense and the occasional goal.
And that's the thing, I don't think anyone would be upset if we signed a Scott type player to a two way contract and played him against the Bruins.

I just think it's pathetic how insecure this fanbase has gotten that everything revolves around playing the Bruins in the regular season. John Scott isn't getting us to the playoffs, if our biggest need right now was a 14th forward who plays in two games, we'd be planning for the parade by now.

Our 4th line is playing great right now, hardly the biggest need. And I think we would all love to replace Kaberle with a big, stay at home defender, but there's no halfway decent options out there that wouldn't cut into the cap space, and we have Tinordi coming up in a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Sedin's are softies. You know why? They take ANYTHING that goes after the whistle. That is what i'm refering to when I say they are soft. Remember that Thornton thing in front of the referee ? Any man who has some respect for himself would've atleast gave a little shove. If that's not being soft, I don't know what it is.
To me, being soft means playing scared. The Sedins are basically robots, they just take abuse and act like nothing happens. To me that's impressive in it's own right, since they take a lot of a abuse and play through pain. I can see why it annoys people, I like players to show a little more emotion but if anything we've been hurt before when someone like Plekanec (another guy people around here call "soft" missing the point) does something stupid to retaliate.

If anything I blame Vancouver's over-dependency on their power play as much as I do the Sedins themselves, if that team isn't getting calls it just seems clueless at times.

Last edited by Et le But: 01-31-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 10:36 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
That was a beauty!

Old
01-31-2013, 10:39 PM
ChoseLa

That Scott last uppercut resonated in all of the NHL arenas.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:40 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
That Scott last uppercut resonated in all of the NHL arenas.
Couldn't believe I was seeing that.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:42 PM
habtastic

I have a feeling Thornton is going to want to make up for tonight by doing what b fans like the most: fighting a Hab. I will luckily (hopefully!) be at that game and I have to admit, it would be awesome if Prust had a great fight and dropped him. Still, Prust, not some random enforcer. I do want us to win above all. Thing about Buffalo is they seem to have their **** together so that they can sacrifice a guy. We need every single player playing to their potential every night and we still have a bit of a "1st line" mess. We badly need our 4th line right now to actually play hockey. Don't know that Buffalo did.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:50 PM
FireBergevin

Quote:
John Scott would disapprove.

At this moment, the Sabres are laughing it up at how Scott damned near killed Thornton and how the Bruins did not even offer up a fight after that.

Sorry man. Sometimes you have to counteract badasses with a bigger badass.

Gauthier and Martin have really left their legacy in Montreal.
You really think that's going to happen again? Yeah their collective ego was burst tonight but all that means is from next game on they're going to be determined to pay the team back for every fight they lose.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:55 PM

I love John Scott.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:19 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I love John Scott.
That 7-4 rout must have upped Uukka Tuukka's goals against and lowered his save % quite a bit. I saw only the first few minutes, long enough to see the demolition of Shawn Thornton. Too bad other Bruins didn't take Scott on or more of them would have been transported to the emergency department. It must have shocked Bruins fans to see Thornton out of the game shortly after it started.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:27 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
That 7-4 rout must have upped Uukka Tuukka's goals against and lowered his save % quite a bit. I saw only the first few minutes, long enough to see the demolition of Shawn Thornton. Too bad other Bruins didn't take Scott on or more of them would have been transported to the emergency department. It must have shocked Bruins fans to see Thornton out of the game shortly after it started.
Too bad Lucic didn't try to avenge his teammate.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:22 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Too bad Lucic didn't try to avenge his teammate.
they should get an enforcer

Closed Thread