HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles over Devs 5-4 (OT)

Old
01-31-2013, 11:11 PM
malPHONEY

vCash: 500
Relax guys, you were just a bounce away from a much happier thread.

You're still the class of the division IMO and Henrique's back.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:12 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Greene had a strong game. Scratch #28 when Fayne returns.

Time to put .kovy at LW too.

Devils Dominion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:14 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

I think part of the reason I'm so frustrated, as stated by someone else a couple days ago, is that the Devils are losing games that they could have easily gotten the extra point if not for stupid mistakes. Had they lost those games by a larger margin (I'm not saying I want them to) I think the loses would have been less frustrating. If the scores were like 5-1, or 4-1, I would have accepted the mistakes they made and hoped they adjusted accordingly. But right now, they've done enough to secure a point, just silly mistakes cost them the extra one.

Looking at the big picture, 9/12 points so far is nothing to scoff at. A few adjustments for the next game and hopefully they can get back in the Win column.

Cheddabombs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:19 PM
SteveCangialosi123

Kovy has not been great. He's just not getting many chances. Tbh he hasn't been too noticable, which isn't good. I want roaring Kovy who takes over a game.
Also I'm pissed about that Larsson play. The coaches don't need any more reason to bench him. He needs to be/deserves to be in. Sit Volch or Tallinder. The PK has been poopy, Volch hasn't been great on the PK so that isn't a valid reason to keep him in.

SteveCangialosi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:22 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
I don't get a lot of the hate that is being thrown around. I don't think some people even know why we lost tonight.

Yes we need forward help, but how would an extra forward have changed tonight's outcome for sure? Would this trade have stopped the PK from letting in 3 goals? Or stop Larsson from tipping one in? (And let us be clear, he overall had a decent game, that was his one mistake but it was a BIG mistake. Doesn't deserve to sit but everyone needs to be held accountable). I guess since it would be Tally who got traded he wouldn't be here to take that penalty, but an extra forward wouldn't of prevented Marty from playing a puck he had no business playing?

We need more forward depth, and I'd agree with blaming the lack of it on losing to Boston, but that was not the reason we lost tonight. 4 goals, especially when you have 4 goals from 4 different players and assists coming from all over the place SHOULD BE ENOUGH PERIOD. Honestly you can't even blame the PP because 4 goals should still of been enough. That said the PP was awful and it needs work.

Bad defense, a terrible PK, and an off game by Marty is the reason we lost tonight. With the way the defense and PK played we had no business getting a point tonight. You can't give up two PP goals out of like 3 and expect to win against anyone. It was actually the forward depth that got us that point. Important to remember that guys. I think we missed Fayne tonight, think him and Greene together have been our most solid D-pairing. I want Adam to stay in the lineup, so Zids, Volch or Tally need to sit. Zids deserves to sit the most, but he does bring something offensively that really none of our other Dmen bring so only reason why he isn't sitting right now.

Those saying the PK has been terrible all year, stop it that isn't true. Those ragging on Marty handling the puck, stop 9 times out of 10 he still handles it better then anyone. Those thinking we are doomed just stop and go someplace else. It isn't about the record it will be about points at the end of this season and 9 out 12 points is a very good thing, especially considering we have been without Henrique (who immediately has made his presence felt so his return is a huge boost), still thin at forward, and have lots of kinks still needing to be worked out.

This team has a lot of upside, and earning points now while we are still getting to our potential is a very good thing. You will be thankful for these points when we get into our groove as we won't be digging ourselves out of a pit in the standings.
I enjoyed every word of this.
It's 6 games in, things are still adjusting themselves.

Nothing is, nor should be, perfect yet. But the Devils are racking up points with a game or 2 in hand on everybody and are in a good position.

Nobody stays perfect through an entire season. Nobody stays perfect for an entire week.
There are break downs, but it's good that they're coming early... that gives them an entire season to adjust. Sometimes teams go on winning streaks and form bad habits... this team is on a point streak and knows it has hard work ahead of them.

Every game has gotten better. The PP, despite the lack of scoring, doesn't actually look that bad. The puck movement is getting better and it's actually generating momentum.

Honestly, as 'meh' as the Devils are playing right now... just watch games around the league. Teams are just starting to look like their **** is coming together.

Same as this team. There's no need to slag on everybody "X is brutal" "Y should sit" "get rid of Z" - a shortened season with 2 new assistant coaches and lines still coming together... its going to require some patience.

The Devils have put themselves in a good position despite losing 3 OT/SO in a row.
It'll get there.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:24 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddabombs View Post
I think part of the reason I'm so frustrated, as stated by someone else a couple days ago, is that the Devils are losing games that they could have easily gotten the extra point if not for stupid mistakes. Had they lost those games by a larger margin (I'm not saying I want them to) I think the loses would have been less frustrating. If the scores were like 5-1, or 4-1, I would have accepted the mistakes they made and hoped they adjusted accordingly. But right now, they've done enough to secure a point, just silly mistakes cost them the extra one.

Looking at the big picture, 9/12 points so far is nothing to scoff at. A few adjustments for the next game and hopefully they can get back in the Win column.
And a lot of this stuff evens out too. The Devils will surely come out with two points when they don't deserve it.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:27 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
And a lot of this stuff evens out too. The Devils will surely come out with two points when they don't deserve it.
Exactly - the Devils picked up a few points they didn't "deserve" during these past 6 games. Take the points, move on and hope that players are ready to fix their mistakes.

It's how it goes. Move on to the next one.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:27 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

The only reason these games feel more desperate (besides the fact they are, by virtue of a 48-game instead of 82-game season) is the fact the Devils caught a break early with the schedule, and how spaced out it has been up till this point. And not with the most brutal opposition either other than Boston. Now it's going to start getting tighter starting this weekend.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:30 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Still don't know how they did not score on pp in ot with those point blank chances

Old
01-31-2013, 11:33 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
The only reason these games feel more desperate (besides the fact they are, by virtue of a 48-game instead of 82-game season) is the fact the Devils caught a break early with the schedule, and how spaced out it has been up till this point. And not with the most brutal opposition either other than Boston. Now it's going to start getting tighter starting this weekend.
I don't know, last year it was always iffy coming back from a long layoff in between games. Not a fan of these slow weeks, especially with little to no practice.

They were pretty good when they got into a groove.
Last year, I think they played some of their best hockey during that crazy stretch with games every other day to end the season.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:33 PM
Fayne Staley

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
totally agree. now the back 2 backs are going to pile up. and we're playing the pens next.

Fayne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:36 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Tough stretch coming up and Rags on third in four days. Need to get special teams in order.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Anyone see Boulton's boarding on Patty that the refs did nit call in the 2nd? It's why he argued with ref and got unsportsmanlike a minute later.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:39 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
Still don't know how they did not score on pp in ot with those point blank chances
I don't understand why Elias wound up for a slap shot when the puck came to him. I'm pretty sure the shot was blocked anyway but still a snap shot would have been better in that situation.

Cheddabombs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:46 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Not seeing passion or fire from Kovy yet aside from the reaction to his OT goal.
on the left side, you mean?

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:47 PM
Sinner Devil

Guys lets relax take the point and go beat the **** out of the freakin penguins next!!! Adams are back we will roll, gotta knock the rust off still.

Sinner Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:48 PM
Devils86

Quote:
Anyone see Boulton's boarding on Patty that the refs did nit call in the 2nd? It's why he argued with ref and got unsportsmanlike a minute later.
That was after a missed high stick

Devils86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:55 PM
NjDevsRR

Kovy will be fine. He had many chances tonight. Nabokov robbed him a few times and he hit the crossbar in the second.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
That was after a missed high stick
And a missed boarding Tavares scored after the missed high stick.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Did the anthem singer get lost and not show up.?

Old
02-01-2013, 12:13 AM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
Thats what I am thinking, probably under the weather and they couldnt find anyone in time.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:15 AM
apice3*

Quote:
She took the same bus as the PK

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:16 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
Marty makes that mistake once every 100 times. the other 99 he plays the puck and either clears the zone or buys more time. you have to take the good with the bad.
Far more often than that nowadays.

I can think of three specific instances in the playoffs.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:17 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
first time I burst out laughing listening to the ntl anthem

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Far more often than that nowadays.

I can think of three specific instances in the playoffs.
To be fair though if it weren't for his puck handling we don't shutdown the other teams. Particularly Philly, and NYR. Even with the few gaffes.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote