HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 8: Columbus vs. St. Louis | 1/31 7PM EST

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 10:04 PM
EDM

vCash: 500
Is this guy named JAM really Filatov in disguise? He certainly channeled his inner Nikfi floating 30 feet outside of the net for most of the nite. If this kid is gonna play in the NHL , he has to learn that goals are scored within five feet of the net, not out along the blue line. Very unimpressive. But it was his first game so we will see how he bounces back.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:08 PM
jacketsinDC

I had to work late- is this game worth watching or will it just make me hate life even more?

i saw in the boxscore that dorsett fought chris stewart.... was not excited about that.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:10 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsinDC View Post
I had to work late- is this game worth watching or will it just make me hate life even more?

i saw in the boxscore that dorsett fought chris stewart.... was not excited about that.
Watch the second period, then go to bed. They didnt play 60 minutes, you shouldn't feel the need to WATCH 60 minutes (the duration, not the TV show)

Old
01-31-2013, 10:13 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
It's 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I don't know and I'm too lazy to look it up. Hitchcock is a HOFer with a shelf life. That's all I'm saying. This one particular Blues fan seems to think that's ridiculous when it is fact.
Gotcha both.

My thought on this sidebar ... Hitch has been accused of many things, none of which was being "stupid." I'm betting he's well aware of his shelf life and plans on using his time judiciously.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:17 PM
JacketsDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsDavid View Post
Our high flying offense should keep this one interesting.

Blues - 4
CBJ - 1

Well ok maybe not so interesting...

But afterwards we can all meet back up on here and blame Bob for the loss.
I'm like freaking on fire. +1000 Internet points.

This team has trouble getting started. 3 games under BOB we've gotten down early (2 on first shift and tonight within 3 minutes).
They generally seem to play harder in the 2nd period.
Glad to see Hitch doing so well. Ownership quit on him here and bet on the kids who thought they could outscore everyone. What a mistake that was.
We're a long way away rom competing. Even with JD on board this team is bad. We need better coaches (sorry Richards isn't the answer), we need serious talent upgrades at goalie and and probably 4 forward spots (all in the top 6). The dmen may be fine if Moore progresses and becomes a top pairing guy in a couple years.
As well as RyJo is playing he needs to score at some point.

I really am afraid of what attendance will be here in March. Now they have $10 tickets (season ticket holders), $25 tickets (partial plan owners, nationwide employees), expanded student rush ($10 tickets), etc. If this team doesn't play better we may have a lot of 9k games in March-April. This team just doesn't play hard consistently. That is all they need to get some interest, but they don't do it. Terrible roster, and playing bad hockey. Bad combination.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:29 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

It's about time for JD to get to work.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:02 PM
St1ngr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsDavid View Post
I'm like freaking on fire. +1000 Internet points.

This team has trouble getting started. 3 games under BOB we've gotten down early (2 on first shift and tonight within 3 minutes).
They generally seem to play harder in the 2nd period.
Glad to see Hitch doing so well. Ownership quit on him here and bet on the kids who thought they could outscore everyone. What a mistake that was.
We're a long way away rom competing. Even with JD on board this team is bad. We need better coaches (sorry Richards isn't the answer), we need serious talent upgrades at goalie and and probably 4 forward spots (all in the top 6). The dmen may be fine if Moore progresses and becomes a top pairing guy in a couple years.
As well as RyJo is playing he needs to score at some point.

I really am afraid of what attendance will be here in March. Now they have $10 tickets (season ticket holders), $25 tickets (partial plan owners, nationwide employees), expanded student rush ($10 tickets), etc. If this team doesn't play better we may have a lot of 9k games in March-April. This team just doesn't play hard consistently. That is all they need to get some interest, but they don't do it. Terrible roster, and playing bad hockey. Bad combination.
I think Richards and Howie had stays of execution this year based on the lockout and the transition bringing JD in.

I don't know what to expect from JD right away though. Probably not fireworks. JD realizes what we on this board and really everyone in the world save Howsie and Priest realize - This team is a mess and there is no easy quick fix.

We really don't have much to sell at the deadline. Only guy that would bring anything of significance is Prospal, and he won't be going anywhere per his "agreement" with Howson. I guess maybe Aucoin would fetch a low-round pick....

I forsee JD using the 3 first-round picks and not trading them. We need to start drafting better if we are ever going to seriously compete in this league and that must start this year.

I don't see Howson coming back after this year, he is basically neutered already. Richards has a higher chance of coming back but only for maybe another year to watch over the team as it develops.

I think, built the right way, we won't really be competitive for another 3-4 years. However I think we will be a dominating team by that point with this next year's draft picks coming on, Murray a solid top NHL blueliner, Johan entering his prime.

This is how the CBJ should have been built more than a decade ago.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:04 PM
Bobcat110

Quote:
It's about time for JD to get to work.
Hoping he's in some far, far away lands scouting for the draft and got a hole burning in his pocket

Old
01-31-2013, 11:12 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Missed the first 10 minutes of this game. Looks like I picked a good 10 minutes to miss!

2nd period was alright, but this team is going to be lucky to score more than 2 goals per game. Nash had a number of faults, and I know it was time to move on for both parties. But, damn, it sure is apparent that there is no longer any Jacket who strikes any fear into the other team when they have the puck.

I think this team has a chance to get on the right track over the next few years but this is probably going to be a rough year.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:14 PM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by St1ngr View Post
We really don't have much to sell at the deadline.
Mason? No one seems to want him resigned...he's looked well enough to maybe draw some interest so far.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:18 PM
jacketsinDC

Didn't they bring out a bunch of players parents for some 'parents week' last year, where the goal was to make the players actually try? Maybe time to try that again, but for a longer visit.

I think jeff carter's lazy ass parents ruined it last year.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:24 PM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsinDC View Post
I think jeff carter's lazy ass parents ruined it last year.
They did a father/son trip...not sure of any other parent weekend.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:34 PM
hardrim
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I don't know what the heck you are talking about. Hitchcock is far from bullet proof. He wont last longer than 5 years in St. Louis. That's par for the course in his career.
He's over 60 years old, so you might be right. 5 years is above average for an NHL coach these days anyway.

If it happens sooner than that, I'm sure you will happily reapply your he got tuned out theory. You aren't interested in the fact that there is NO PROOF anywhere that tuning out actually happened.

Howson fired Hitchcock because he was trying to save his own job. Bravo for Howson. It worked. He is still in place driving the Jackets further into laughinstockdom. The Jackets have been on the steady decline since Hitchcock was let go: FACT

Meanwhile, he walked into a team that was 6-7 when he took over to 109 points and made everyone in that franchise look pretty smart (and Howson and everyone running the jackets look exactly what they are: inept), and then went on to win the Jack Adams.

Honeymoon smooneymoon. Winning is winning. Who cares how long he is with teams. He has won his entire career and will be in the Hall of Fame one day.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:40 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrim View Post
He's over 60 years old, so you might be right. 5 years is above average for an NHL coach these days anyway.

If it happens sooner than that, I'm sure you will happily reapply your he got tuned out theory. You aren't interested in the fact that there is NO PROOF anywhere that tuning out actually happened.

Howson fired Hitchcock because he was trying to save his own job. Bravo for Howson. It worked. He is still in place driving the Jackets further into laughinstockdom. The Jackets have been on the steady decline since Hitchcock was let go: FACT
I'm sure that losing 28 of 38 games had nothing to do with it at all.

Meanwhile, Scott Arniel took basically that same roster and guided them to an even better start the very next year (12-6-2 for Hitchcock, 14-6-0 for Arniel). Arniel couldn't hack it in the NHL as a coach.

Quote:
Meanwhile, he walked into a team that was 6-7 when he took over to 109 points and made everyone in that franchise look pretty smart (and Howson and everyone running the jackets look exactly what they are: inept), and then went on to win the Jack Adams.
Hitchcock in three-plus years in Columbus:
2006-07 - 28-29-5
2007-08 - 34-36-12
2008-09 - 41-31-10
2009-10 - 22-27-9

Huh, looks like the wheels came off pretty quickly despite a hot start. You're right though; St. Louis is going to be the place where the career pattern (as demonstrated in Dallas, Philadelphia, and Columbus) doesn't hold true. Just like the floating scoring forward will float for everyone else, but not for us, and just like the abusive boyfriend will change for me.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:52 PM
Dead Horse

This years compact schedule sucks... i totally missed that there was a home game tonight.
As it turns out I'm glad i did... WOW! what a train wreck!

Old
01-31-2013, 11:52 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Been back from the game

Bob couldn't see the first shot. Erixon and the guy he was "battling" (I put the " because he wasn't doing anything but standing next to him.) in front of the net made it impossible for Bob to see it. Don't remember the 2nd goal much but it seemed like a perfect shot. Bob should have had the Tarasenko shot.

Mason played very well.

Wisniewski was awful. In what world is it good to make a breakout pass on your backhand through the middle? Gets intercepted way too much.

Brassard, Dubinsky, MacKenzie, Boll, and Foligno were the only forwards who showed up. JAM and Johansen were invisible (Live at least)

Tyutin was awful too.

Savard and Erixon seemed to do their jobs, minus Erixon's gaff on the first goal.

Umberger was better but still not where he needs to be.

The penalty on Erixon was a horrible call. So was the penalty on MacKenzie.

Horrible effort minus the 2nd period.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:58 PM
arudick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Missed the first 10 minutes of this game. Looks like I picked a good 10 minutes to miss!

2nd period was alright, but this team is going to be lucky to score more than 2 goals per game. Nash had a number of faults, and I know it was time to move on for both parties. But, damn, it sure is apparent that there is no longer any Jacket who strikes any fear into the other team when they have the puck.

I think this team has a chance to get on the right track over the next few years but this is probably going to be a rough year.
You're absolutely right here. It is going to be a rough year but we all saw this, coming into the season. We lost our fire power and consistent scorer (as you mentioned) and I think we knew (or should have known) that there would be an instant drop off in scoring.

Richards and Davidson have the right idea in place and a great foundation. They say all the right things. It's just frustrating for us the fans to hear them talk about how "this team will be a tough team to play against night in and night out" and "this team will not get outworked" and not see any of this transition onto the playing surface. As well, Richards apparently had a long discussion with the team about "starting strong" and look what happened tonight in the 1st period!!

It's a work in progress. It's still an extremely young team that has to learn to play with each other and gain chemistry and they will soon begin to execute. It takes time. It's unfortunate but this is what separates the good teams from the mediocre and bad teams. Good teams execute on a consistent basis and bring it night in and night out. The key is how young this team is. It will take time. It sucks though, I, like everyone I'm sure, just wants to watch good, exciting, and competitive hockey.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:07 AM
hardrim
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I'm sure that losing 28 of 38 games had nothing to do with it at all.
You might want to get your facts in a row before you post. He coached 58 games and was 22-27 when he got the boot. Where you got 28 of 38 is a mystery. Mind you, most of your facts seem to fall in that category.

I'm sure that missing three of your top 6 dmen and having a fat, egotistical Mason had nothing to do with that either. The fact that Howson didn't replace his veterans and shoved guys who weren't ready too high in the lineup either played little role in that tough stretch either.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Scott Arniel took basically that same roster and guided them to an even better start the very next year (12-6-2 for Hitchcock, 14-6-0 for Arniel). Arniel couldn't hack it in the NHL as a coach.
WOW!! An even better start? And then what happened? Oh, never mind.

Quote:
Hitchcock in three-plus years in Columbus:
2006-07 - 28-29-5
2007-08 - 34-36-12
2008-09 - 41-31-10
2009-10 - 22-27-9
You will note that he had exactly two full seasons as the head coach in Cbus. His first full season he had Jiri Novotny as a top line center. The fact that team achieved even 80 points was a miracle. The next year they totally maxed out and eeked into the playoffs and then Howson let the team get worse over the summer, but somehow expected more. When the injuries hit, they went into a big slide--often losing one goal games and shootouts. Howson saw his job flashing before his eyes and decided to buy himself more time. The Hitchcock can't coach young guys was an easy sell and Howson (and the countless other inept management team and scouts also sold it because they ALSO had to save their jobs) convinced the powers that be that it was a good idea to get rid of him.

He has publicly stated that his greatest coaching accomplishment was coaching that team into the playoffs because every guy maxed out practically every night. That's all a coach can hope for.

Quote:
Huh, looks like the wheels came off pretty quickly despite a hot start. You're right though; St. Louis is going to be the place where the career pattern (as demonstrated in Dallas, Philadelphia, and Columbus) doesn't hold true. Just like the floating scoring forward will float for everyone else, but not for us, and just like the abusive boyfriend will change for me.
The situations in Dallas and Philly and Columbus were very different from each other, but the getting tuned out thing is much shorter and easier to write (nevermind that it is total garbage and message board and media lore).

Hitchcock is helping that Blues roster play to their potential. NHL coaches are paid to win and not protect their longevity. The guy wins and he continues to get hired as a result. If he wants to coach after they 'tune him out' in St. Louis, I am sure he will have a lineup of teams waiting for him. Jackets were idiots to get rid of him.

Last edited by hardrim: 02-01-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old
02-01-2013, 12:10 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Wondering if anyone would be kind enough to provide me with their thoughts on Erixon, Foligno and Dubinsky this season.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:19 AM
Ceff Jarter
Registered Duster

Quote:
Back from the game, Here's some random thoughts:
Mason played very well.
Bobrovsky... what the hell?!?
Umby showed signs of improvement.
Brass looked relieved to have finally scored that goal.
Wiz has got to stop throwing passes in front of his own net.
4th line was our best line again.
JAM didn't show much.
Joey's passes were tape to tape for the most part.
Hey guys, the game starts at 7!
Prediction: about a third of the team won't be here next season.
I echo all of your thoughts.

Really hurt in the 3rd period not having Boll and the 4th line in tact. I used to not be a Boll fan but I really sincerely mean this: he has been our most consistent forward this year

More random thoughts:
Tarasenko is good- i wanted him to bust though
Foligno is my favorite addition.
Duby does so many things right. Nice to see him get rewarded with an assist.
Letestu is our best penalty killer
JAM's nameplate looks absurd, even from the "Power Level"

Old
02-01-2013, 01:02 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Wondering if anyone would be kind enough to provide me with their thoughts on Erixon, Foligno and Dubinsky this season.
Erixon has been good in the AHL and in his CBJ debut he was OK.

Foligno has been consistently good with his all around play. Very glad to have him.

Dubinsky started off slow for the first few games, but lately he has been one of the best forwards. Seems like he understands the system more and more and is getting adjusted.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:45 AM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
I missed the first period and only saw quick highlights of the goals but did it seem it went in because Bob was leaning down(not sure if that's the right words for it. Maybe crouching). It seemed like Jackman shot it up high and since Bob was crouching, it went in. Maybe he was screened and by crouching, he was trying to get a better look but in the game against the Stars, the first goal was the same way. The Stars announcer was saying that he is known to play like this. Should Bob stop doing this or just let him play whatever he is comfortable with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Been back from the game

Bob couldn't see the first shot. Erixon and the guy he was "battling" (I put the " because he wasn't doing anything but standing next to him.) in front of the net made it impossible for Bob to see it. Don't remember the 2nd goal much but it seemed like a perfect shot. Bob should have had the Tarasenko shot.

Mason played very well.

Wisniewski was awful. In what world is it good to make a breakout pass on your backhand through the middle? Gets intercepted way too much.

Brassard, Dubinsky, MacKenzie, Boll, and Foligno were the only forwards who showed up. JAM and Johansen were invisible (Live at least)

Tyutin was awful too.

Savard and Erixon seemed to do their jobs, minus Erixon's gaff on the first goal.

Umberger was better but still not where he needs to be.

The penalty on Erixon was a horrible call. So was the penalty on MacKenzie.

Horrible effort minus the 2nd period.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:14 AM
Cyclones Rock

For only scoring an average of 1.6 goals per game, the Jackets have an amazingly good record. One has to hope that the lack of training camp has hit the Jackets particularly hard given the high turnover rate the offensive roster underwent. However, the scoring drought seems to be worsening the longer the team plays together.

When Derek Dorsett is your leading scoring forward with a whopping 4 points after 8 games, that about tells the entire story.

RJ Umberger and his $4.6 million/year deal-which has four more years to run after this season-might be the most untradeable player in the entire NHL. He is now on pace for 6 points this season. While I obviously detest Umberger's performance (again), he hardly is a standout on this almost universally underperforming roster.

If the Jackets don't turn things around by the end of this current homestand (5 games remain), then their season will have been effectively ended before even a month of the season will have passed. The 6 game road trip which follows this homestand is a brutal one. Even under the best of circumstances, the Jackets would be fortunate to split these six games. The way they are playing now, earning 4 points on this road trip would seem to be a best case scenario.

Trying to sell season tickets for this team for 2013-14 might be the most challenging job in all of major league sports.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:05 AM
EspenK

On the bright side I had Elliot as my fantasy goalie last night

JD's first move should be to hire the scout who found Tarasenko

Old
02-01-2013, 06:36 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Now what?

We have too many key players who are underperforming, and frankly, are that great when they play to their potential.

We got ZERO young stars flashing any kind of game changing ability.
(The Johan might be a good NHL forward some year)

We got a coach who the players don't seem to be responding to.

We still don't have a #1 goalie.

And How long before our only tradeable assets (Wiz, Tyuts, and JJ) want off this train wreck?

Last edited by JACKETfan: 02-01-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Closed Thread