HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2 in the SO - We Needed a Bigger Boat

Old
02-01-2013, 12:44 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Agreed. Some people are miffed at Gagner for the penalty in OT but that was a brutal call. Period.
I'll never understand why when a team twice our size is hanging all over us and playing us hard it's fine, but the second we do it becomes a problem.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:45 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
RNH injured? Anyone?
Yes, having panic attacks about playing through the pain like every other forward and then needing surgery in the offseason. Again.

Whitney - funny thing is that this was one of his better games.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Njoy Oilers

Great HOCKEY GAME! Who knew 24 hrs would make that much difference!
Oh and The Flamers lost!

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CupofOil

Quote:
Agreed. Some people are miffed at Gagner for the penalty in OT but that was a brutal call. Period.
I think they are more miffed that Gagner skated the puck back into his own zone when he could have easily cleared the zone. With that being said, he had another strong game despite that. Looks like a different player this season.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
preaching to the choir

I wonder if teams woukd pick up essentially useless players to play minimal minutes and wait for a shootout. Must be some guys with amazing hands stuck at the AHL level
Didn't Kyle Wellwood play a role like that for the Canucks just a few years ago? It's nice to get a point but man, I'd be steamed losing out on that extra point like this. Regular season OT's should be ten minutes. I guarantee that somebody will score more often than not. If not, hey, whatever. Tie game.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:46 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Who starts in net saturday?
How's this even a question? E'ery day I'm Dub-alin

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:48 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I'll never understand why when a team twice our size is hanging all over us and playing us hard it's fine, but the second we do it becomes a problem.
It was nice to hear the old Louie DeBrusk return tonight when he was questioning some of the calls. The Sportsnet bigwigs are probably going to tell him to shut-up and toe the line after tonight.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:48 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
In regards to RNH, I'm shocked at the biased opinions on this board.

1) He's our best shutdown center. There, I said it. He's been facing the opposition's top line every game this year, and with the exception of that 1st game vs SJS has come out on top. He's not cherry-picking like Ebs/Hall are up the ice, and it's reducing the amount of time we're seeing him in the offensive zone. It's a trade-off I'll take considering it's keeping that 2nd line off the ice versus more dangerous opposition

2) Remember when Taylor Hall started last year with 6 points in 13 games and everyone was defending him? Nuge has 5 points in 7 and we're giving him so much flack? Better yet, he's actually winning every head-to-head 60-minute match-up he's playing in every game.
Agreed. Nuge looks just fine. People need to watch him closely instead of just looking for flashy plays, he has been excellent defensively, is improving on faceoffs and is making very nice, subtle plays in the offensive zone. He's not up to his usual standards with his scoring touch but he is playing a good, overall game. People need to remember that he's still a kid in the development stage and he's holding his own against some heavyweights, that's a big positive going forward.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:50 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I think they are more miffed that Gagner skated the puck back into his own zone when he could have easily cleared the zone. With that being said, he had another strong game despite that. Looks like a different player this season.
You're right. I forgot about it thanks to the shootout. Arrrgh. I'd rather lose in overtime.

Old
Perfect_Drug

The extra point puts us in 3rd in the conference (tie for 5th win Minne).

I'd want to play Van in the playoffs.

Seems the last few years that whomever beats Vancouver goes on to win the cup.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dem

The refs have been awful so far this year.

Penalties at their whim..

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:51 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Yeah I'm not worried about Nuge's offensive production. I feel he ends up point/game or close to it at year's end.

I'll take Nuge at ~point/game winning head-to-head matchups against opposition #1 lines on a nightly basis than have him top-5 in NHL scoring (1.2-1.3 points/game) playing defense like he did last year. People are vastly undervaluing how big of an impact his "shutdown" play has had for this team this year. We're limiting opposition superstars to MAYBE 1 point/game on a nightly basis thus far thanks to his play.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
In regards to RNH, I'm shocked at the biased opinions on this board.

1) He's our best shutdown center. There, I said it. He's been facing the opposition's top line every game this year, and with the exception of that 1st game vs SJS has come out on top. He's not cherry-picking like Ebs/Hall are up the ice, and it's reducing the amount of time we're seeing him in the offensive zone. It's a trade-off I'll take considering it's keeping that 2nd line off the ice versus more dangerous opposition

2) Remember when Taylor Hall started last year with 6 points in 13 games and everyone was defending him? Nuge has 5 points in 7 and we're giving him so much flack? Better yet, he's actually winning every head-to-head 60-minute match-up he's playing in every game.
wat.

Okay, he has gotten noticeably better defensively but offensively, he has not been good. I like good defense as much as the next guy but creating offense is his top priority as a #1 center. I don't want him groomed to be a shutdown centerman. He has looked out of place on that 1st line since game one. Hopefully he gains some confidence and breaks out soon but I'm just calling it how I see it.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

From Matheson's postgame article:

Quote:
Yakupov has five points, which is two more than Jason Bonsignore, the only other Oiler to wear No. 64
Man, I forgot what a failure he was. I mean, we all know that he was but I forgot that it was that bad.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:54 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Didn't Kyle Wellwood play a role like that for the Canucks just a few years ago? It's nice to get a point but man, I'd be steamed losing out on that extra point like this. Regular season OT's should be ten minutes. I guarantee that somebody will score more often than not. If not, hey, whatever. Tie game.
Wellwood was a ****ing stud for us in the shootout, but he did play on the third line (worse defensively than the Sedins though). I was thinking a fourth liner playing less than 10 minutes a night. Occasionally people put in designated fighters for anticipated games, it's not too far of a stretch to think that teams might do it for the shootout. Jeff Tambellini is a better example, played fourth line here (deservingly though) but a huge + about him was that he was a very good shootout guy

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Channing Tatum
Step Up: On Ice

GG bros.
you guys gave us hell and the sharks barely STEPPED UP

Channing Tatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Great game by the Oil. These kids are for real. We're witnessing the next step in the evolution of this hockey team. I've seen this before...probably before many of you were born.

Exciting times ahead for Oil fans indeed!

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:58 AM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
wat.

Okay, he has gotten noticeably better defensively but offensively, he has not been good. I like good defense as much as the next guy but creating offense is his top priority as a #1 center. I don't want him groomed to be a shutdown centerman. He has looked out of place on that 1st line since game one. Hopefully he gains some confidence and breaks out soon but I'm just calling it how I see it.
I think you're a little off the mark here. Having Nuge concentrate on the defensive side of his game and grooming him to be a great defensive forward is a good thing.

Why?

Because his puck handling skills and offensive creativity are already there. Even when he isn't trying to create offense he's an offensive threat. If he can say healthy he'll be like that well into his 30s.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:02 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Wellwood was a ****ing stud for us in the shootout, but he did play on the third line (worse defensively than the Sedins though). I was thinking a fourth liner playing less than 10 minutes a night. Occasionally people put in designated fighters for anticipated games, it's not too far of a stretch to think that teams might do it for the shootout. Jeff Tambellini is a better example, played fourth line here (deservingly though) but a huge + about him was that he was a very good shootout guy
It's interesting how top offensive stars seem to fail time and time again in a shootout scenario. Heck, it shouldn't even be an event at the All-Star Game.

I always thought that Ryan Jones would be an ideal candidate for shootouts on the Oilers because he's money on breakaways but I don't think that he's had a single shootout attempt since joining the team. Some guys just thrive on the adrenaline that a sudden breakaway provides. A guy like Handzus is calm and cool and just cruises in. No finesse at all and shelves it.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:03 AM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
I think you're a little off the mark here. Having Nuge concentrate on the defensive side of his game and grooming him to be a great defensive forward is a good thing.

Why?

Because his puck handling skills and offensive creativity are already there. Even when he isn't trying to create offense he's an offensive threat. If he can say healthy he'll be like that well into his 30s.
great post

whenever you get an offensive player to develop the defensive side of his game you have to expec that initially his offensive game will suffer. Will be a better player for it imo. I personally hate that we shelter the Sedins, AV has messed up what was first tried with them which was make them defensively adequate.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:03 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Yes,but I remember from last year that there was a statistic that said:

Hemsky is 13 for 45 in shootouts.
Which is the best conversion rate on our team aside from Mr Horcoff

http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstats...erCareerTotals

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:05 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
Maybe trying to inject some confidence into RNH's game? I have no idea.
Exactly, and its what a coach should do with a star player. Didn't pay off but it did coach looks like a genius. I inderstand we left a potential point on the board but sometimes getting everybody going is important too.

Good game. Not sure if anybody noticed it but Smyth was really feeling it tonight and a handful and made several very good plays in offensive, and own zone. Guy has taken a lot of shots this year and so good to note when he's bringing a much better game.

Gotta laugh at Yak a bit. He can score perfect one time bunts off the 1 inch shaft of a hockey stick off weird deflections but have Gagner saucer a perfect pass to him in the slot and he totally whiffs it. Not knocking him just a little funny. Gagner scored the goal 10 secs later anyway but..

When is a loss is a Win its a Win when you're playing a club that never loses...?!

SanJose is one stacked fricking lineup. SHOULD win the cup this year. Easily the most talented hockey club in the world and not even close. An embarrassment of riches.

Tonight was such a classic matchup. Established vet favorites vs brash upcomers. I could take 7 games like this. Maybe it'll happen for us.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:07 AM
LPH

Quote:
It's interesting how top offensive stars seem to fail time and time again in a shootout scenario. Heck, it shouldn't even be an event at the All-Star Game.

I always thought that Ryan Jones would be an ideal candidate for shootouts on the Oilers because he's money on breakaways but I don't think that he's had a single shootout attempt since joining the team. Some guys just thrive on the adrenaline that a sudden breakaway provides. A guy like Handzus is calm and cool and just cruises in. No finesse at all and shelves it.
Exactly, the combination of soft hands and a calm nature is needed for the shootouts, but even guys that have both sometimes fail in them. It's the primary reason I hate the shootout, is because actual hockey skill does net necessarily mean success in the shootout.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:08 AM
Everlasting

Cannot belive i see fellow oilers fans complaining about the refs when they ****ed Clowe over and stole a goal from the Sharks

Anyway, oilers really have zero offensive depth. Other than the first two lines, there is NO ONE else can score goals or even make points. combining the the 6 bottom forwards and you get what... 4 points in 7 games? Oilers will never make the playoffs like that. This is imo, oilers biggest problem at the moment. Also, Lander did great.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:09 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post

Why?

I don't mind that he's focusing on his defensive game but I'd also like to see some offense along with it because he is the playmaker for that top line yet I have not seen some of the passes and creativity I've become accustomed to seeing from him from past seasons. Not a huge deal since it's still early in the season but am I going to sugar coat his play and say that he's been playing fine? Certainly not.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote