HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2 in the SO - We Needed a Bigger Boat

Old
02-01-2013, 01:11 AM
nullmeatbag

vCash: 500
Got to go to the game tonight - I think there were only two other Oiler fans in my section.

Good performance tonight - glad we didn't quit. Smytty had some good dangles tonight!

I just love the hat tips and nods you get from fellow fans when walking around the arena during the intermissions.

nullmeatbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:13 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Exactly, the combination of soft hands and a calm nature is needed for the shootouts, but even guys that have both sometimes fail in them. It's the primary reason I hate the shootout, is because actual hockey skill does net necessarily mean success in the shootout.
After the shootout win against the Nucks Krueger mentioned that he was approaching shootouts from the perspective that they're a third specialty team after the PP and PK. It's a novel idea but it's interesting that he's going to his skilled, finesse guys so far. Hell, I think I saw Darcy Hordichuk score on a few one on one opportunities during training camp. Put him out there!

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:14 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Cannot belive i see fellow oilers fans complaining about the refs when they ****ed Clowe over and stole a goal from the Sharks

Anyway, oilers really have zero offensive depth. Other than the first two lines, there is NO ONE else can score goals or even make points. combining the the 6 bottom forwards and you get what... 4 points in 7 games? Oilers will never make the playoffs like that. This is imo, oilers biggest problem at the moment. Also, Lander did great.
Theres some perspective.

Indeed. That was a ridiculous call and Clowe just owned that play.

Disagree on the depth thing. Wait for it. This lineup can get some 3-4 line jam going when guys start feeling it. It'll come.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:14 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

What's everyone complaining about RNH for? He looks fine. His D play has been great and his back check has been fantastic. He hasn't been amazing offensively but he's still been good, especially on the cycle.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:16 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I asked David Staples on Twitter (probably not the best guy to ask) about RNH's status following OT (because some folks are concerned that he's banged up) and he said that he's not sure.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:16 AM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
Cannot belive i see fellow oilers fans complaining about the refs when they ****ed Clowe over and stole a goal from the Sharks

Anyway, oilers really have zero offensive depth. Other than the first two lines, there is NO ONE else can score goals or even make points. combining the the 6 bottom forwards and you get what... 4 points in 7 games? Oilers will never make the playoffs like that. This is imo, oilers biggest problem at the moment. Also, Lander did great.
Exaggerate much?

Baby Nilsson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:17 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
What's everyone complaining about RNH for? He looks fine. His D play has been great and his back check has been fantastic. He hasn't been amazing offensively but he's still been good, especially on the cycle.
These should be happy times on the board. I don't quite get it. I'm a curmudgeon and I'm lovin this. Team is playing reasonably well and gelling. Whats not to like. An inexperienced lineup thats only going to get better is building confidence.

jebus, drive a few hours down south and witness the absolute depression in Calgary losing at home to the lowly AV's.

Or Winnipeg getting trounced tonight by the lol Florida Kittens.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:21 AM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
These should be happy times on the board. I don't quite get it. I'm a curmudgeon and I'm lovin this. Team is playing reasonably well and gelling. Whats not to like. An inexperienced lineup thats only going to get better is building confidence.

jebus, drive a few hours down south and witness the absolute depression in Calgary losing at home to the lowly AV's.

No kidding, there are tons of positives with this team right now. Schultz, Gagner, Eberle, Hall have been unreal. Horcoff, Belanger and Smyth are playing their roles and Harti and Yak have shown flashes. Obviously not everyone is going to be playing lights out all the time, some players are on and some aren't, that's just hockey.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:21 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:

Those were ugly losses. Kipper couldn't stop a beach ball....

Given the circumstances of this game I can't see how fans wouldn't be happy with getting a point. When the infirmary starts to clear up a bit things will only get better.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:23 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
I don't mind that he's focusing on his defensive game but I'd also like to see some offense along with it because he is the playmaker for that top line yet I have not seen some of the passes and creativity I've become accustomed to seeing from him from past seasons. Not a huge deal since it's still early in the season but am I going to sugar coat his play and say that he's been playing fine? Certainly not.
Is there any difference in how the coach is playing him this season compared to last?

Seems like I see that top line out against other top lines muuuuuuuuuuch more often than I did last year.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:23 AM
Evets 81

Tencer's Twitter says Fistric took a puck to the hand, left the game. Could he be injured too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Tencer
Mark Fistric took a puck on the hand in the 3rd period and left the game for x-rays...no further update
It's almost like Potter needs to play for some reason........

Nuge better not be injured. Or if he is, Horcoff better be back for Saturday. What would the centre look like with both out?

Gagner
Lander/Belanger
Belanger/Lander
Smyth? Vande Velde?

Evets 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:26 AM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeam14 View Post
Tencer's Twitter says Fistric took a puck to the hand, left the game. Could he be injured too?

It's almost like Potter needs to play for some reason........

Nuge better not be injured. Or if he is, Horcoff better be back for Saturday. What would the centre look like with both out?

Gagner
Lander/Belanger
Belanger/Lander
Smyth? Vande Velde?
Maybe they'd try Hall at C

Old
02-01-2013, 01:30 AM
alanschu

Didn't Hall tweet that he's better suited to wing earlier this year?

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:31 AM
Shanahanigans

Lander was a beast on the PK

this reminds me of last year's start, where we were winning but Hall, Eberle and RNH were just a touch off. Then our offense finally took off in the Chicago game and they tore it up the rest of the year. Of course that's when our defense and goaltending went to hell as well.

3/4 points on a back to back roadie through Phoenix and San Jose. Not bad. Certainly would not have done this any time within the last 4 years.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:33 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

lol, just read the 25 hate posts about Gagner's OT shift and not getting the puck out. Whats laughable is how many of these posts appear to be dismissive of Gagner. As if he's been Horcoff or something. Newsflash he's been the hardest working forward on the club.

Gagner wanted to play the puck back behind or around the net. Curiously no puck support arriving there as he only has one direction to put the puck.

What a laugh that people were blaming Gagner and ready to pin a loss on him already and the Sharks didn't score on the PP. Get those fingers on the Gagner hate button though.
Remember to get your hate Gagner votes in 20 times/game. Wouldn't wanna miss out.

****, sometimes I wonder if we're all fans of the same club.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:33 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think it was a bad call, but the whistle went quite a bit before the goal and Clowe scored on a goalie who had stopped playing.

As for the rest of the game, I was fully into regular season mode, flipping channels every 30 second, barely able to watch. Happy with the point on the back to back.

Section337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:34 AM
Evets 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Didn't Hall tweet that he's better suited to wing earlier this year?
Yeah, thought I remembered reading about Hall not feeling overly comfortable at centre when he was playing it in practice or something.

Evets 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:35 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
NHL ‏@NHL
Yeah he did... @LoganCouture breaks in, scores, then celebrates by kissing his bicep. http://*******/VrGxUr
Classless. Lets make a thread about it on the main board.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:35 AM
molsonmuscle360

Didn't Nuge go in the shootout, where are the injury talks coming from? Is it just because he has been a little off to start the year? Or is there something substantial here?

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:36 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
I think it was a bad call, but the whistle went quite a bit before the goal and Clowe scored on a goalie who had stopped playing.

As for the rest of the game, I was fully into regular season mode, flipping channels every 30 second, barely able to watch. Happy with the point on the back to back.
Never heard a whistle and didn't note Dubs stopped playing it. He played through, as you should in the situation. Sharktank is a noisy rink. I have a good surround system pumped up and never heard a whistle on the play.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:37 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post

If this team ever makes the playoffs I'm going to have a damn heart attack. I'm stressed out of my gourd whenever I watch a game. Probably a residual effect of six years of suckage. I want this team to start winning so bloody badly.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:37 AM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Never heard a whistle and didn't note Dubs stopped playing it. He played through, as you should in the situation. Sharktank is a noisy rink. I have a good surround system pumped up and never heard a whistle on the play.
Watch the half assed poke check he gives that, he was just trying to knock the puck off his stick because he was annoyed by him, not because he was worried about a goal being scored on him.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:38 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Didn't Nuge go in the shootout, where are the injury talks coming from? Is it just because he has been a little off to start the year? Or is there something substantial here?
I'm not following it either. Would be nice if people explained a little when they same something nebulous like "Is RNH injured" Um, like for instance what gives you that impression. Maybe some background beyond 3 words..

****, what is this, twitter

Old
02-01-2013, 01:39 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Gagner wanted to play the puck back behind or around the net. Curiously no puck support arriving there as he only has one direction to put the puck.
Team Dangle, is also Team No Puck Support in D-Zone. My favourite ongoing one, is how Whitney likes to get in position for sending out the big stretch pass, while relying on Dubnyk to get the puck to him. And Dubnyk has a long way to get to a Jason Smith's horrible level of passing (during his last couple of years here).

Section337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:39 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Some fans were mentioning that he only took one shift in OT or something. Oil fans have seen so many injuries over the past six years that every little thing freaks us out.