HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs @ Flames | 1/31/2013 | 7:00 MT | We won !!!

Old
02-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
So basically what I took from this start to the season is that we aren't tanking for Jones. CBJ and Calgary are just flat out worse than we are.

Tank for Barkov?
I honestly think we could be a decent team with a better coach. We have some talent, he just doesnt know how to get it out of them or how to use them...

terrible coach.

Avs For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:23 AM
viach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
pretty well. stopped a breakaway from diving to keep it in at the blueline.
But only 1 pt in 7 games !!!

viach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:24 AM
Mant*

Mr. Lube Mr. Lube Mr. Lube Mr. Lube Mr. Lube Mr. Lube Mr. Lube Mr. Lube Mr. Lube Mr. Lube Mr. Lube Mr. Lube Mr. Lube Mr. Lube

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:34 AM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
We need to stop letting SOB take Jones out the night before games.

If Landy comes back soon I'd like to see these lines until Jones sobers up:
Landy-Staz-Duke
McGinn-Dutchy-PAP
Sgar-Mitchell-Kobasew
Bordy-Olver-Jones
No Cody Mac? Guy has been playing pretty well to start the season, he's evolved throughout his career from a fighter to a very solid 4th line depth player, and he was outstanding tonight alongside Mitchell and Kobasew. If Landy is back I'd do:

McGinn-Duchene-Parenteau
Landeskog-Stastny-Hejduk
McLeod-Mitchell-Kobasew
Sgarbossa-Olver-Bordeleau

Sit Jones for a game or two, send a message that only 1 goal and a -8 rating to start the season is not acceptable

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:53 AM
Mant*

damn it, altitude... when you're showing the REPLAY of tonight's game, do you really have to show the final scores on the ticker? I'm watching the replay because I couldn't watch the live game... and you go and spoil it.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:01 AM
DieselBoy

vCash: 50
You know, whenever I see Sgarbossa's name I immediately think of this:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...ention/n12012/

Sgaarrrrrsgaarrrrrrd

Sorry to the fellow Canadians out there who can't watch this, or maybe you can.

Last edited by DieselBoy: 02-01-2013 at 02:10 AM.
DieselBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:17 AM
Peter The Great

Wow, didn't watch this game but it feels good winning this extremely important game.

I also read Duchene stating in an interview that Landy will be back soon and also wanting O'Reilly to come back? Sounds great about Landy and I'm glad he isn't too bitter on O'Reilly.

Good for team confidence with lots of scoring on Kipper.

Things can change quickly to an even better situation, I wish Sgarbossa is staying with team, Landeskog coming back and contract dispute with O'Reilly ending or we get a nice return for him.

Interesting game vs the Oilers coming up, facing some top world class talent.

21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:17 AM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Tweet nothing at all.
To be honest, I'd rather read Duchene tweeting about a big win (and it was, given the circumstances) than you saying he shouldn't

At least last night was worth getting up at 3am for. The relief from Stastny after he scored was palpable, felt it over here in Switzerland! Nice to see him smiling on the bench, hoping he can turn it round now.

Last edited by The Angry Teatowel: 02-01-2013 at 04:47 AM.
The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:28 AM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselBoy View Post
You know, whenever I see Sgarbossa's name I immediately think of this:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...ention/n12012/

Sgaarrrrrsgaarrrrrrd

Sorry to the fellow Canadians out there who can't watch this, or maybe you can.
He should turn into a great scorer. We could call him Bossy.

or he could get his face all ****ed up and get called Scar.

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:42 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
That win felt great, but the morning after I now have a major winning hangover!

We need to go pickup another win tomorrow.

I'll be coaching at a game tomorrow during the first half of the game, guess I'll have to miss most of it.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:51 AM
TheStranger

A win's a win, but it was a pretty meh win. Plagued by all the same problems we've had all year, we just found a team bad enough that we could find a way to win. Calgary had about a 97% pass reception rate and made everyone on our team just look foolish all night.

Giguere looks awful, the time off didn't do him any good. Hopefully he doesn't get more than 8 games or so this year.

The top lines were still invisible with the exception of Duchene doing a one man show(and Stastny's goal's right at the end), which in this case drew a penalty that we scored on, so i can't fault him too much but he's the only one trying.

What happened to O'Byrne? He wasn't always this bad was he? I thought we kinda liked him. And Johnson had some atrocious miscues tonight, one leading directly to a goal.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:55 AM
iceberg

I remember the days when Stastny was so good that he would make his linemates better. "You're slumping? No problem, i'll put you with Stastny". Those were the days when he was actually worth 6m.

Now, we have to find better wingers for him, so he can get out of his slump (because no one takes advantage of his great passes).

Before the GWG last night, it was Sacco's fault for hating on him (or Stastny was the one who hated Sacco, don't know)... Yeah, Sacco hated him so much that kept him with the 1st PP unit, even after his terrible 1st and 2nd periods... Now, we find out that it is all Jones fault.

Hopefully Stastny's two goals yesterday will wake him up, so we don't have to read about him being the best defensive center in the last 25years or so.

iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
The top lines were still invisible with the exception of Duchene doing a one man show(and Stastny's goal's right at the end), which in this case drew a penalty that we scored on, so i can't fault him too much but he's the only one trying.

What happened to O'Byrne? He wasn't always this bad was he? I thought we kinda liked him. And Johnson had some atrocious miscues tonight, one leading directly to a goal.
I'm really struggling to know what people can expect from these guys sometimes. Stastny's line has consistently been average, but it hasn't been because of him, it's been because of a combination of poor timing, poor chemistry and poor team effort. Meanwhile Duchy's line hasn't been bad, they've just been off rhythm and attacking rather than controlling the play.

Quite frankly, our entire offense is geared to grind, no one uses puck possession and if they do they screw it up with poor passing and under-utilizing the point to spread the play out. This is a fundamental concept the 13-15 year olds I work with are just starting to understand about hockey (spreading out the play by passing to the point) but for NHLers to struggle with it is just sad.

Further on the defense. O'Byrne and especially Hunwick had inconsistent games plagued by great and poor efforts on various shifts. O'Byrne was exposed with Zanon and it wasn't entirely his fault, Zanon really isn't that great aside from his blocking and work in the corners (even that is below average).

Wilson and Hejda played well together, I liked that pairing though. EJ and Hunny were acceptable, but Hunwick definitely struggled with the added minutes. If we're going to use a puck mover with EJ, can it please be Barrie or Elliott on their offhand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
I remember the days when Stastny was so good that he would make his linemates better. "You're slumping? No problem, i'll put you with Stastny". Those were the days when he was actually worth 6m.

Now, we have to find better wingers for him, so he can get out of his slump (because no one takes advantage of his great passes).

Before the GWG last night, it was Sacco's fault for hating on him (or Stastny was the one who hated Sacco, don't know)... Yeah, Sacco hated him so much that kept him with the 1st PP unit, even after his terrible 1st and 2nd periods... Now, we find out that it is all Jones fault.

Hopefully Stastny's two goals yesterday will wake him up, so we don't have to read about him being the best defensive center in the last 25years or so.
I do miss that Stastny, the one that played with the extra spark in his game. But back then we also had a high tempo offensive game where everyone contributed and knew their role. I really don't believe Stastny has lost that game though, he's still a puck hound around the net, makes stellar passes... get him a real scorer/power forward (like Pacioretty in the Worlds) or get him a new coach before even considering moving/not re-signing him. He's our most tenured Av after Hejduk, he shouldn't leave.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:43 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
And Johnson had some atrocious miscues tonight, one leading directly to a goal.
What did Johnson do wrong? Hunwick is the one who turned it over on the first goal.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
What did Johnson do wrong? Hunwick is the one who turned it over on the first goal.
You are correct, that first goal was due to a decision and turnover by Hunwick, who was rewarded after that mistake with more ice time.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:03 AM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
McNabb was calling it as Hunwick (repeatedly, despite it clearly being Hunwick and EJ shooting with the opposite hand...) and then later corrected himself later in the broadcast. Must have been out with Jones and SOB!

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Well guys I think one thing has become quite clear this year, PA Paranteau was nothing more then the product of playing alongside Tavares, and without him he's gonna struggle.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:12 AM
iceberg

Hunwick was the one with the bad pass that led to the goal... Johnson had a bad pass that also led to a breakaway a couple of minutes later.

One think i don't understand is that Johnson is suposed to be our best D, our #1, and IMO has been our best D, but why doesn't he get any PK time?

edit: Also, other team's top Dmen play around 25 minutes, our #1 guy gets less ice time than Hunwick! Go figure!

Last edited by iceberg: 02-01-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: ?
Old
02-01-2013, 08:19 AM
AvsFanRCN

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
damn it, altitude... when you're showing the REPLAY of tonight's game, do you really have to show the final scores on the ticker? I'm watching the replay because I couldn't watch the live game... and you go and spoil it.
rookie mistake, gotta find something to tape over it

AvsFanRCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:22 AM
AvsFanRCN

vCash: 140
Quote:
Hunwick was the one with the bad pass that led to the goal... Johnson had a bad pass that also led to a breakaway a couple of minutes later.

One think i don't understand is that Johnson is suposed to be our best D, our #1, and IMO has been our best D, but why doesn't he get any PK time?

edit: Also, other team's top Dmen play around 25 minutes, our #1 guy gets less ice time than Hunwick! Go figure!
probably has something to do with playing back to back games and hunwick not playing against the nucks

AvsFanRCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:

Sacco.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:43 AM
TheStranger

Sorry my mistake on thinking it was Johnson, didn't see the replay and just heard McNabb calling it as Johnson over and over

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Razor29
52-22-8

vCash: 50
I wouldn't really read too much into this game. It was against the Flames after all.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:53 AM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanRCN View Post
probably has something to do with playing back to back games and hunwick not playing against the nucks
I'm not sure that is the reason, 21 minutes is his average ice time for the season. Also doesn't explain why he doesn't play on the PK.

Also Hunwick has the highest TOI on the team.

Last edited by iceberg: 02-01-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old
02-01-2013, 09:28 AM
marioni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
So you guys are saying were not getting the first overall pick now?
We're not Blue Jackets Still a high pick is very probably, but man we can leave that for another day, I'm just glad we won after some disastrous performances...

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote