HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top 1997-born players in NB

Old
01-14-2013, 07:00 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

vCash: 500
Ins - Outs

I'll update it, thumb up for keeper, thumb down for sliding down the list:

Forwards:
Alexander Jacob - Moncton Flyers - still best skilled forward but looks like size is catching up to him.

Ryan Tompkins - Fredericton Canadiens - had a great start, long injury, looks to be finding his stride again.

Francis Theriault - Miramichi Rivermen

Jean Michel LeBlanc - Saint John Vito's - wish he had more to his complete game, but can't deny the points.

Spencer Buck - heard he quit hockey for soccer.

Liam Conrad - Moncton Flyers - started year in midget minor, called up.

William Bower - Saint John Vito's - Still a solid forward, hard working.

Kari Belec - Moncton Flyers - inconsistant, needs to use players around him more.

Zach Adams - OHA - no idea

Riley Scott - Miramichi Rivermen

Tristan Young - lost track of where he is

Patrick Daley - Fredericton Canadiens - always has puck on his stick, good play maker.

Defense:
Luc Deschene - Fredericton Canadiens - looks to be the same as last year, not seeing growth, but still the best 97 Dman.

Jake Vance - Fredericton Canadiens - seems to be playing forward now, don't really like him there to be honest, one of the better Dmen on the team -

Matt Paul - Fredericton Canadiens - he's also been injured but is back now. He's got great speed and moves the puck well.

Will Thompson - RNS - only seen him once, not fair to give opinion.

Chris Becker - OHA - not seen him at all this year

Mitch Robinson - Moncton Midget Minor - not seen him.

New additions:

Kyle Ward - Moncton Flyers - he's kind of like Tompkins, more of a complete player and has really improved, like him a lot.

Goalies:
Julien Galloway - Midget Minor - not seen him
Derek Goguen - prep
Tristan Meadows - gone to HS - not seen him
Jarod Stone - Midget Minor Fredericton - not seen him
Max Landry - Moncton Flyers - doesn't play as much but seems to be getting better.

Last edited by NBHockey: 01-15-2013 at 07:12 AM.
NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:38 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post

Forwards:
Alexander Jacob - Moncton Flyers - still best skilled forward but looks like size is catching up to him.

Ryan Tompkins - Fredericton Canadiens - had a great start, long injury, looks to be finding his stride again.

Jean Michel LeBlanc - Saint John Vito's - wish he had more to his complete game, but can't deny the points.

Kari Belec - Moncton Flyers - inconsistant, needs to use players around him more.

Patrick Daley - Fredericton Canadiens - always has puck on his stick, good play maker.

Defense:
Luc Deschene - Fredericton Canadiens - looks to be the same as last year, not seeing growth, but still the best 97 Dman.

Jake Vance - Fredericton Canadiens - seems to be playing forward now, don't really like him there to be honest, one of the better Dmen on the team -

Matt Paul - Fredericton Canadiens - he's also been injured but is back now. He's got great speed and moves the puck well.

New additions:

Kyle Ward - Moncton Flyers - he's kind of like Tompkins, more of a complete player and has really improved, like him a lot.

Goalies:
Derek Goguen - prep
Max Landry - Moncton Flyers - doesn't play as much but seems to be getting better.
Have you seen the U-16 team list ? if so what are your thoughts on the selections.

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:51 AM
Canada4Gold1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
Have you seen the U-16 team list ? if so what are your thoughts on the selections.
I feel that this team has been the best by far for the 97s being picked for team NB. I don't like Jacob Vance at forward as well. They probably did this because they couldn't decided which of the 7 D-men should be left out.

Canada4Gold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:18 AM
Canada4Gold1

[QUOTE=mrscout;56532585]
Quote:

I have to agree with you on Landry. He is on a team that consists of about 2 lines and 3 Defense (Warmen, Arseneau and Francis) and his shot totals are crazy. I don't think that Galloway was sent to Midget minor so he could get more icetime. Why would you do that to a top notch goaltender in his draft year, doesn't make any sense. It was a huge mistake plain and simple. He may get looked at in Midget minor because his name has been tossed around for quite a while. Otherwise nobody wants to watch a league which is a step down from High School in my opinion.
Landry is by far better than Collette. Landry faces around 40-50 shots per game while Collette only faces around 20. Also, they have more than two lines. If you'd been to any of the games in January you would have seen the coach only play two lines except for the Haligonian which they did good at. Gendron, Castonguay, and Blanchette are all playing 3-4 minute shifts which is ridiculous. I watched a game two weeks ago where Gendron and Castonguay were on for a 5 minute shift which ended when Gendron took a penalty.

The lines are basically like this from what I've seen and the minutes they play:

Gendron-Castonguay-Scott (Scott plays about 15-20, The other two play 30-35)
Theriault-Savioe-Blanchette ( Theriault and Savioe each 15-20, Blanchette 30-35)
Gallant-Beaulieu-Woulds-Kenny (This line of four averages about 10-12 a game)

I haven't seen any of the other 5 teams do this so maybe that's why they are 1-3-1.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:29 AM
Canada4Gold1

Quote:

Forwards:

Defense:

New additions:

Goalies:
Derek Goguen - prep
I feel like scoutman1 has a good idea where most players are skill wise right now and what potential they have. He has Deschene, Leblanc, and Thompson as high draft (1-2 round) picks in the QMJHL this year. Jacob could be a 2-3 round pick maybe later. Buck did quit to play soccer at Shattuck's. Theriault has become inconsistent and Scott still needs to work on his skating for talking about the Rivermen. Young is playing Midget AA in Campbellton. Thompkins and Bower could be late round picks this year from a draft standpoint. Maybe Daley as well. I agree with everything you said about everyone else as well.

Other players playing Midget Major:

Woulds- Still needs to improve skating. Not playing very much.

Beaulieu- He's playing more aggressive but his and Woulds playing time has been greatly diminished.

Alward- Hasn't impressed me at all this year.

Robichaud- Sometimes plays well but he's inconsistent a lot.

McInnis- Switched to defense from forward so I don't have much to say.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:12 AM
HkyNuts
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold1 View Post
I feel that this team has been the best by far for the 97s being picked for team NB. I don't like Jacob Vance at forward as well. They probably did this because they couldn't decided which of the 7 D-men should be left out.
Goes back to earlier posts at the first of the year. Pottle drafted 7D and his plan was for Vance to always move up to F. Word around the rink was he didn't want to fight what was being asked of him. Leaves a big whole on D for U16.

HkyNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Dogpound

[QUOTE=Canada4Gold1;58815291]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscout View Post

Landry is by far better than Collette. Landry faces around 40-50 shots per game while Collette only faces around 20. Also, they have more than two lines. If you'd been to any of the games in January you would have seen the coach only play two lines except for the Haligonian which they did good at. Gendron, Castonguay, and Blanchette are all playing 3-4 minute shifts which is ridiculous. I watched a game two weeks ago where Gendron and Castonguay were on for a 5 minute shift which ended when Gendron took a penalty.

The lines are basically like this from what I've seen and the minutes they play:

Gendron-Castonguay-Scott (Scott plays about 15-20, The other two play 30-35)
Theriault-Savioe-Blanchette ( Theriault and Savioe each 15-20, Blanchette 30-35)
Gallant-Beaulieu-Woulds-Kenny (This line of four averages about 10-12 a game)

I haven't seen any of the other 5 teams do this so maybe that's why they are 1-3-1.
Really not sure you can say Landry is by far better than Collette. Yes Moncton is a better team but they aren't close to the team they had last year and Collette is going to break the record for wins in the league easily which was won last year by Nathan Armstrong with 17. Collette already has 16 with 7 games left to play. Landry has played 81 more minutes than Collette Not including last night. Collette is 16-2 where Landry is 7-8. Collette GAA is 1.67 with a save% .941 where landry GAA is 3.64 and save % .908. Collette has 448 saves where landry has 650. Yes Landry gets more shots and probably better shots as well but if he was that much better than Collette you would think he would steal more games. I have seen Collette Steal games this year in which Moncton had no business winning. I am not disputing that Antoine Landry is good becuase he is very good but to say he is by far better than Collette is a farce.

Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:32 PM
hockey jockey

[QUOTE=Dogpound;58823579]
Quote:

Really not sure you can say Landry is by far better than Collette. Yes Moncton is a better team but they aren't close to the team they had last year and Collette is going to break the record for wins in the league easily which was won last year by Nathan Armstrong with 17. Collette already has 16 with 7 games left to play. Landry has played 81 more minutes than Collette Not including last night. Collette is 16-2 where Landry is 7-8. Collette GAA is 1.67 with a save% .941 where landry GAA is 3.64 and save % .908. Collette has 448 saves where landry has 650. Yes Landry gets more shots and probably better shots as well but if he was that much better than Collette you would think he would steal more games. I have seen Collette Steal games this year in which Moncton had no business winning. I am not disputing that Antoine Landry is good becuase he is very good but to say he is by far better than Collette is a farce.
Ok Dogpound it is very clear by your previous post that you have a contact to the Moncton team , at the end of the day Landry is the best tender in the league, I hear Jacob is out with an uper body injuery does that have anything to do with his previous shoulder injury ???

Old
02-03-2013, 06:02 AM
Dogpound

[QUOTE=hockey jockey;58858883]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpound View Post

Ok Dogpound it is very clear by your previous post that you have a contact to the Moncton team , at the end of the day Landry is the best tender in the league, I hear Jacob is out with an uper body injuery does that have anything to do with his previous shoulder injury ???
Well we can agree to disagree on who is better.. I have seen a lot of both goalies and IMO collette is better.. Jacob out has nothing to do with his shoulder

Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:32 AM
hockey jockey

[QUOTE=Dogpound;58957451]
Quote:

Well we can agree to disagree on who is better.. I have seen a lot of both goalies and IMO collette is better.. Jacob out has nothing to do with his shoulder
Thats to bad about Jacob he was putting up good numbers since his return, hopefully he will be back soon.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:49 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

[QUOTE=hockey jockey;58958083]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpound View Post

Thats to bad about Jacob he was putting up good numbers since his return, hopefully he will be back soon.
He had a three point game yesterday. Looks like whatever had him out has cleared up.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:59 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Yes, I have seen them. I like the selections for the most part, there are a couple of interesting choices but hey.. i've said it a few times on here, each coach or evaluator see's different things, and value different qualities in players. This team should be a bit more skilled than in the past, which might translate well in Que.

I like the new format also, the branches are really getting this right in my opinion, especially having it tied into the U17 process. They have been saying for some time now at HNB that things were going to change for the better, this is a good example of it.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:14 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Yes, I have seen them. I like the selections for the most part, there are a couple of interesting choices but hey.. i've said it a few times on here, each coach or evaluator see's different things, and value different qualities in players. This team should be a bit more skilled than in the past, which might translate well in Que.

I like the new format also, the branches are really getting this right in my opinion, especially having it tied into the U17 process. They have been saying for some time now at HNB that things were going to change for the better, this is a good example of it.
I agree there is a couple of interesting choices and nobody will ever agree on who should and shouldn't be on the team, but you say they are more skilled this year, where did they add more skill than maybe Deschene on D?

I have heard that the U-17 team may be made up from the Atlantic and Quebec teams have you heard anything on that ?

Old
02-13-2013, 08:08 AM
express34

I am new to this discussion board and I have been watching the development of the 1997 born players in NB for about 5 or 6 years now. I have read your comments on the Deschene, Thompson, Vance, Robinson that are your top 3 or 4 D-man that could be drafted in the early rounds in this upcoming draft but Guy’s like Cloutier and Becker that are OHA no one seem to be talking to much about them.

I heard that Cloutier had a small set back with an injury and has just starting to get back in the beat of things.

Becker Development seems to be going good but know news from those players, did they make the under 16?

Last small comment I really think that Cloutier and Becker are in your face players that will find a niche in the Q due to there role playing ability has character players tuff hard hitting on the edge hard working kids.

express34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:48 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by express34 View Post
I am new to this discussion board and I have been watching the development of the 1997 born players in NB for about 5 or 6 years now. I have read your comments on the Deschene, Thompson, Vance, Robinson that are your top 3 or 4 D-man that could be drafted in the early rounds in this upcoming draft but Guy’s like Cloutier and Becker that are OHA no one seem to be talking to much about them.

I heard that Cloutier had a small set back with an injury and has just starting to get back in the beat of things.

Becker Development seems to be going good but know news from those players, did they make the under 16?

Last small comment I really think that Cloutier and Becker are in your face players that will find a niche in the Q due to there role playing ability has character players tuff hard hitting on the edge hard working kids.
welcome nice to see some new blood , just to let you know Vance is now playing forward and as far as Robinson not real sure on him playing midget minor this year, Becker made U-16 cloutier did not , since you are talking D the U-16 D are Deschene , Thompson , Paul , Becker , Myers and Cole Hachey.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Sevey

I like this kid O'Brien on the Fredericton Team. Leads his weak team in goals and points. A real leader and great vision.

Sevey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:22 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevey View Post
I like this kid O'Brien on the Fredericton Team. Leads his weak team in goals and points. A real leader and great vision.
You are talking about the 98' player i would assume? His is pretty skilled, but very small.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:23 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
You are talking about the 98' player i would assume? His is pretty skilled, but very small.
He is a very skilled player that has a lot of grit for his size, the 98 group in NB is very skilled but not very much size.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Sevey

I realize size may be a problem but he is only 14 and has a great attitude. Hope he makes it though.

Sevey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:58 PM
express34

Dose anyone have a list from central scouting regarding the 97 born players eligible for the Q draft?

Last edited by express34: 02-22-2013 at 01:25 AM.
express34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Canada4Gold1

I was at the Moncton vs Miramichi game last night and it was hard to look at players since officiating was horrible. Also, I saw a few scouts leave after the referee went completely to Moncton's side. The score was 10-4 for Moncton but it was exciting to watch until Miramichi scored to make it 4-4. The game sheet online won't show any of the penalties called but Miramichi had 3 PP's and Moncton had about 10 PP's. Only one goal from Moncton wasn't scored on the powerplay which the game sheet doesn't show again. Ward's goal was the only one. It was hard to look at players but here goes:

Flyers:
Jacob- Amazingly gifted. Logged a lot of minutes when Bradley got hurt.
Myers- Improved greatly from last time I saw Moncton play. Hard shot and great vision.
Belec- Hasn't impressed me all year.
Ward- Improved as well. Works hard both offensively and defensively.
Alward- Hasn't impressed me as well.
Landry- Didn't play.
Conrad- Basically rides Jacob's coat-tail.

Rivermen:

Theriault- Find he hasn't made a very good transition into Midget Major this year. He's a player I'd expect to be on every night and he's off most of the time.
Scott- Worked hard and hit a lot without taking penalties.
Woulds- Probably played his best game last night. A couple of points and hits.
Beaulieu- Played more aggressively and set up some scoring chances.
Robichaud- Played well. He got injured for a while but came back.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Hockey master

Quote:
I was at the Moncton vs Miramichi game last night and it was hard to look at players since officiating was horrible. Also, I saw a few scouts leave after the referee went completely to Moncton's side. The score was 10-4 for Moncton but it was exciting to watch until Miramichi scored to make it 4-4. The game sheet online won't show any of the penalties called but Miramichi had 3 PP's and Moncton had about 10 PP's. Only one goal from Moncton wasn't scored on the powerplay which the game sheet doesn't show again. Ward's goal was the only one. It was hard to look at players but here goes:

Flyers:
Jacob- Amazingly gifted. Logged a lot of minutes when Bradley got hurt.
Myers- Improved greatly from last time I saw Moncton play. Hard shot and great vision.
Belec- Hasn't impressed me all year.
Ward- Improved as well. Works hard both offensively and defensively.
Alward- Hasn't impressed me as well.
Landry- Didn't play.
Conrad- Basically rides Jacob's coat-tail.

Rivermen:

Theriault- Find he hasn't made a very good transition into Midget Major this year. He's a player I'd expect to be on every night and he's off most of the time.
Scott- Worked hard and hit a lot without taking penalties.
Woulds- Probably played his best game last night. A couple of points and hits.
Beaulieu- Played more aggressively and set up some scoring chances.
Robichaud- Played well. He got injured for a while but came back.
I dont know what game you were watching but Moncton had only 5 powerplay goals not 9.

Hockey master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:13 PM
mrscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey master View Post
I dont know what game you were watching but Moncton had only 5 powerplay goals not 9.
They had 6 and many other opportunities. Wasted my drive to this game, ref could not have favoured Moncton any better than that. Bannister should be ashamed of himself cheering for the home team as president of the league. Should not hold that position, not the first time I have seen or heard of it. I left in the third, it was sickening to watch.

mrscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:34 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscout View Post
They had 6 and many other opportunities. Wasted my drive to this game, ref could not have favoured Moncton any better than that. Bannister should be ashamed of himself cheering for the home team as president of the league. Should not hold that position, not the first time I have seen or heard of it. I left in the third, it was sickening to watch.
I spoke with a couple of guy's that have no affiliation with either team that said the reffing was terrible, and as far as Bannister he should not be president of the league if he continues to have such a close association with the Moncton team , he travels with them to games and makes it very clear to people which team he supports no question about that, just more political crap that will never change.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:46 PM
mrscout

Quote:
I spoke with a couple of guy's that have no affiliation with either team that said the reffing was terrible, and as far as Bannister he should not be president of the league if he continues to have such a close association with the Moncton team , he travels with them to games and makes it very clear to people which team he supports no question about that, just more political crap that will never change.
I couldn't agree more. I have no children involved but I could have puked on him after what I saw during that game. Blanchette a 5min major for whatever and Scott with his cage almost ripped completly off and no call. Blanchette given several game suspension I see by Bannister based on the negligence of the ref. how convenient, one of Miramichi's best player's

mrscout is offline   Reply With Quote