HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Sciences
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Sciences A place to discuss natural, applied & social sciences, along with any other academically-oriented topics of interest to membership.

“Fat per se is not as bad as we thought.”

Old
02-01-2013, 03:57 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
I LOLed at the title as perse means ass in Finnish
So our title could have been: "Fat ass is not as bad as we thought."

It almost means the same thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
The bolded is the kind of thinking i had when i was 19/20 years old. Its very simple minded, requires little to no evidence to back it up, is dripping with speculation,...and is probably 100% accurate lol.

I'm not a doctor or nutritionist or have any qualifications to justify this opinion but it just seems to make so much sense to say that so many of our health problems are due to the terrible things we do to our bodies. I lack the financial means to go organic but i try and compensate by eating food and not "food" whenever possible. Unfortunately, by not eating totally organic, i'm subject to whatever unnatural things happen to be in my the things i eat, even if i'm eating food and not "food".

Example: For breakfast i have 1 of 3 things almost every day...

-Scrambled eggs, cooked with oil, spinach, a potato, and buttered whole grain toast with a small glass of orange juice

-Fruit smoothie, made with fresh (but frozen) strawberries and blueberries, 1 banana, a cup of milk, and 1-2 spoons of Greek Yorgurt

-Frosted Mini Wheats with a banana

Certainly the above diet should just simply be leaps and bounds more healthy for me than if i go to McDonald's and get a breakfast sandwhich, or Dunkin Donuts, or Starbucks etc...but i still do wonder what exactly i'm eating even when i'm having food and not "food"

One should eat foods that have taken the fewest steps to your plate from the field/ocean. A baked potato is just that, a potato with its skin still on, cooked. Even adding natural toppers-- salt, butter, beans, cream, scallions -- should be healthy. (Bacon takes two more steps from raw pork to curing to frying.) Consider then the ingredient list you see in the nonmeat/nondairy/nonproduce sections of the story. THAT is where the problem lies, in my opinion.

I think there is something to all the processed foods people ingest today. An oft overlooked factor may be that people stopped preparing their own food from scratch.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote