HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Keith Ballard Discussion

Old
02-01-2013, 12:13 AM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
Name one Canuck that didn't make a few errors the first 3 games.
AV

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Wizeman*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Ryan Kesler

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:44 AM
tc23

vCash: 1636
Quote:
Cam Barker's been perfect in his role so far; shouldn't change a thing.

tc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:35 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Ballard plays a riskier game; his main offensive tool is rushing the puck through the neutral zone and he enjoys going for the hit in the defensive zone. Except that the Canucks rarely rush the puck in ES (D-man carrying the puck in) and Ballard isn't good enough with his other tools (miserable shot particularly) to get PP time over our Top 4. Since he's in the bottom pairing he's expected to be "safe" in the zone with easy clears and no flashiness, which goes against his mindset and toolkit.

KB4 is a limited player who from the get go was placed in a role beyond him.
Wow. He sounds kind of ideal for the Senators puck possession game. The Sens like to play that way regardless of the lines they have on the ice. So Ballard could be the Sens 2nd pairing or 3rd pairing PMD... and the Senators would pair him with a more defensive minded partner.

Does he play RD or LD?

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:41 AM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Wow. He sounds kind of ideal for the Senators puck possession game. The Sens like to play that way regardless of the lines they have on the ice. So Ballard could be the Sens 2nd pairing or 3rd pairing PMD... and the Senators would pair him with a more defensive minded partner.

Does he play RD or LD?
Ballard is almost exclusively LD. They tried him on the right and it was a disaster.

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:23 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Guy still gets unfairly ripped by some.

He hasn't been able to show his offensive side to his game with only like 0:30 of PP time in over 2 seasons. But he has some hockey IQ, knows when to jump into the rush, when to make a pass in the offensive zone, exc. And while he doesn't have a bomb for a shot I do think his wrist shot is more accurate than most think (Even slapper to some extent)

Obviously the skating ability he has (easily the best on our blueline IMO) Lends itself to people hoping for more offensively in terms of rushing the puck, but he isn't Erik Karlsson, he is a guy who is great on the rush as the trailing guy, or the guy who blazes up ice and walks in the backdoor, but he won't lead the rush and go through the team and score.

Defensively he is showing he is solid once again, good one on one, good shot blocker, and I think we know the rest.

Tanev has been great but unless Tanev is some robot controlling both he and Bally, it is Ballard who deserves most the credit.

Playing great & showing us some of the play that made MG go out and get him. Just wish AV would give him some PP time, skating ability could be a huge asset.

Sergei Shirokov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:24 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiver View Post
Ballard is almost exclusively LD. They tried him on the right and it was a disaster.
Common Canucks board misconception.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiver View Post
Seemed to remember it was Bieksa; sounds like it was hardly surprising. Problem is, there is only one Hamhuis on the team and you're not going to change that 1st pairing that actually works (excluding this season so far of course ).

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
That was not the point being debated.

A poster said he's been playing like from the 1st game and I said no, he made a few glaring mistakes early on but hasn't the last 2-games, is more active in the play both defensively and offensively, and making more intelligent plays and crisper passes - playing with more confidence basically.

There is another poster on here who got it right: it was all in Ballard's head (his poor play that is).

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:28 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
That was not the point being debated.

A poster said he's been playing like from the 1st game and I said no, he made a few glaring mistakes early on but hasn't the last 2-games, is more active in the play both defensively and offensively, and making more intelligent plays and crisper passes - playing with more confidence basically.

There is another poster on here who got it right: it was all in Ballard's head (his poor play that is).
Pretty much this. Though it helps that AV is giving him a longer leash. They bottom pairing hasn't played as much with the top 6 as they have this year.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Bleach Clean

Question for you guys: If Ballard does well this year, and he ups his value where the eventual return is respectable for a top4 D on a multi-year deal, what's Gillis's worst deal? Is it still this one? The Bernier deal? Something else?

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:29 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Question for you guys: If Ballard does well this year, and he ups his value where the eventual return is respectable for a top4 D on a multi-year deal, what's Gillis's worst deal? Is it still this one? The Bernier deal? Something else?
It's still his worst trade because the Ballard contract hamstrung the Canucks for two seasons when they were most competitive. That's irreparable harm that his improvement won't wash away.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
It's still his worst trade because the Ballard contract hamstrung the Canucks for two seasons when they were most competitive. That's irreparable harm that his improvement won't wash away.

In what way do we quantify how the contract hamstrung the Canucks? Do you mean for re-signing Ehrhoff?

Old
02-01-2013, 04:19 PM
pitseleh

To a certain extent yes, but more generally just in the opportunity cost of having to carry his salary instead of a player/players that would have helped the team more.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
To a certain extent yes, but more generally just in the opportunity cost of having to carry his salary instead of a player/players that would have helped the team more.

I agree with the general sentiment, there was a cost in carrying that contract. For Ehrhoff, I don't think it mattered a bit. His price point made no sense for the Canucks on its own. Ballard didn't alter it.

So it still remains the Canucks' worst trade, even if asset value is largely recouped... Opportunity cost of Ballard vs. the 2nd and 3rd sent off for Bernier. That would be the new comparison I think. Right now it's opportunity cost and asset value going against Keith.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Common Canucks board misconception.
I would like to see them try this

HamJuice
Edler Tanev
Gar Ballard

seems to put put together strengths with weaknesses, that third line could be terrible though.

Quote:
Meh, he's ****ing Rambo out there compared to 80% of the rest of the team.
This made me LOL and is sadly true

Quote:
My favourite thing is when you can see Ballard just go "**** it" and skate the puck out, even though it'll get him a death glare from our "coaches".
I also see this and at times think f the break out pass just skate it out.

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:32 PM
rypper

Ballard has been my favorite defenseman this season. I'm almost certain he'll be a casualty of the cap next season but I'd like to see him stick around.

rypper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:30 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Big play to keep the puck in OT tongiht.

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:32 PM
David71

except for that brainfart in the 1st period. when he gave the puck away in the slot.

David71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:32 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
Big play to keep the puck in OT tongiht.
Most crucial play. Without him battling, Tanev doesn't get his first NHL goal!

Also played very well expect for a turnover that lead to a penalty.

shortshorts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
except for that brainfart in the 1st period. when he gave the puck away in the slot.
The slot? That was right in front of the net. Lol

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Wildcarder

Should we start a Beached Whale appreciation thread? Couple mistakes last night (one he made up for with good hustle back to break up a 2 on 1) and nice play on the OT goal to keep the puck in along a board battle and back skate kick it to Sedin to start the give and go.

Wildcarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Scurr

I would like to point out that Ballard made some mistakes and still played really meaningful minutes. It's a common misconception on this board that players pay dearly for one or two mistakes. AV watches players habits and Ballard's have been good.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I would like to point out that Ballard made some mistakes and still played really meaningful minutes. It's a common misconception on this board that players pay dearly for one or two mistakes. AV watches players habits and Ballard's have been good.
I don't disagree with you, but to play devils advocate, What is it that players do that gets them put onto AVs dog box. My guess would be not following the game plan? or not choosing the high percentage plays?

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:15 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
I don't disagree with you, but to play devils advocate, What is it that players do that gets them put onto AVs dog box. My guess would be not following the game plan? or not choosing the high percentage plays?
Wish if I knew. If it was for turnovers and not making the best plays Bieksa would've been scratched several times by this point.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote