HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Ville de Québec Part VII: Si J'avais les ailes d'un ange

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2013, 05:07 PM
  #651
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Cup View Post
He's kidding, RDS looks anti-Quebec most of the time - especially Renaud Lavoie.
Ah ok! So what is RDS and Lavoie's issue with Quebec?

Morgoth Bauglir is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 05:09 PM
  #652
DJ Omnimaga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Québec City area
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BnGBear1970 View Post
Problem is, so is Shawinigan, and my Cape Breton Eagles are...ickkkk...ALL kinds of awful.

The Remparts will make the playoffs, but how long they survive after that, you'd know better.
Remparts are pretty much the San Jose Sharks of the QMJHL. They have a long history of choking in the playoffs, especially goaltending-wise. 2006 was an exception of course for the Remparts, but they had Radulov. Last year they blew a 3-0 series lead in 2nd round and it's not like 2nd round is that hard to go through as a favored team in this league normally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Ah ok! So what is RDS and Lavoie's issue with Quebec?
RDS and parts of the Canadiens are owned by Bell and the future owner of the Nordiques is Quebecor, their main competitor.

DJ Omnimaga is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 05:14 PM
  #653
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post
RDS and parts of the Canadiens are owned by Bell and the future owner of the Nordiques is Quebecor, their main competitor.
Ah! So they're being company shills.....figures

Morgoth Bauglir is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 05:24 PM
  #654
Stanley Cup
Bettman's ice bucket
 
Stanley Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Quebec City
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,703
vCash: 500
IF (and that's a big if) the Coyotes happen to be relocated to QC, I suggest we put some money together to get some guys like XX and rt to a home game like some did in Winnipeg last year

Stanley Cup is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 05:31 PM
  #655
JordanStaal#1Fan
Registered User
 
JordanStaal#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Asbestos, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,488
vCash: 500
I agree and would gladly contribute.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 05:43 PM
  #656
GordonGraham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Ah ok! So what is RDS and Lavoie's issue with Quebec?
For them its all habs , all the time.

When the 1st rumblings of the new arena/team in quebec city started Lavoie went on the air and said that we didnt need a second team to split support, than now that all the province was behind the habs why would we want to mess with that.

GordonGraham is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 06:01 PM
  #657
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
For them its all habs , all the time.

When the 1st rumblings of the new arena/team in quebec city started Lavoie went on the air and said that we didnt need a second team to split support, than now that all the province was behind the habs why would we want to mess with that.
Uggggg! I'm a Habs fan but cripes I'm all for a return of the Nordiques.....the Montreal-Quebec games were some of the absolute best classic rivalry games of the '80s ffs.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 06:16 PM
  #658
JordanStaal#1Fan
Registered User
 
JordanStaal#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Asbestos, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
For them its all habs , all the time.

When the 1st rumblings of the new arena/team in quebec city started Lavoie went on the air and said that we didnt need a second team to split support, than now that all the province was behind the habs why would we want to mess with that.
All the province behind the Habs? That guy doesn't come to Quebec City often haha. Of all the people I know in Quebec City, less than 50% are Habs fan. If I only count my closest Quebec City friends, we have only ONE Habs fan in a group of 10+ people hahaha. I know more Avs fans than Habs fans.

"All the province is behind the Habs, why divide that?", good one.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 06:19 PM
  #659
Habs05
Registered User
 
Habs05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brossard, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Uggggg! I'm a Habs fan but cripes I'm all for a return of the Nordiques.....the Montreal-Quebec games were some of the absolute best classic rivalry games of the '80s ffs.
Same for me. I saw many posts from Qc against my team but I'm really hoping they get their team back. They deserve it. I WANT to see the rivalry but it might not be as huge as it was before.

Habs05 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 06:23 PM
  #660
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Cup View Post
IF (and that's a big if) the Coyotes happen to be relocated to QC, I suggest we put some money together to get some guys like XX and rt to a home game like some did in Winnipeg last year
rt is in love with QC. I'm sure he will accept whole-heartedly

Puckschmuck* is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 06:29 PM
  #661
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs05 View Post
Same for me. I saw many posts from Qc against my team but I'm really hoping they get their team back. They deserve it. I WANT to see the rivalry but it might not be as huge as it was before.
All it takes is one good, tight playoff series

Morgoth Bauglir is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 06:30 PM
  #662
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs05 View Post
Same for me. I saw many posts from Qc against my team but I'm really hoping they get their team back. They deserve it. I WANT to see the rivalry but it might not be as huge as it was before.
Good Friday Brawl

Morgoth Bauglir is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 07:02 PM
  #663
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan
 
QcBlizzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Saguenay, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Good Friday Brawl
There's been worse in the 70s as you know.

In september 1975, Scotty Bowman asked the habs to send a message to the Flyers. One of the most memorable brawl to take place in the Forum happened ..... in a PRE SEASON GAME!

At the end of this particular season playoffs, MTL beat PHI in 4 games, the Flyers had to play more games then the habs and were exhausted but .. some say they had that preseason game in mind.

I also recall a game in 1979 I think, in MTL against BOS, blood, eveything you can imagine.

QcBlizzard is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 07:04 PM
  #664
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
There's been worse in the 70s as you know.

In september 1975, Scotty Bowman asked the habs to send a message to the Flyers. One of the most memorable brawl to take place in the Forum happened ..... in a PRE SEASON GAME!

At the end of this particular season playoffs, MTL beat PHI in 4 games, the Flyers had to play more games then the habs and were exhausted but .. some say they had that preseason game in mind.

I also recall a game in 1979 I think, in MTL against BOS, blood, eveything you can imagine.
Oh yeah. It's just that that Good Friday game sticks out in my mind.....probably because I have that game on video tbh.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 07:21 PM
  #665
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan
 
QcBlizzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Saguenay, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Oh yeah. It's just that that Good Friday game sticks out in my mind.....probably because I have that game on video tbh.
Oh I am not saying it's a dull moment ;-)

Certainly the moment when the rivalry reached its ultimate peak, no question. Not a single house in the whole province was not watching and yellin'

Will this happen again? Lemme be a bit sceptical.

QcBlizzard is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 07:24 PM
  #666
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
Oh I am not saying it's a dull moment ;-)

Certainly the moment when the rivalry reached its ultimate peak, no question. Not a single house in the whole province was not watching and yellin' Some reporters had some small fights.

Will this happen again? Lemme be a bit sceptical.
We shall see! I really think it's a foregone conclusion that the Nordiques are returning though. Now maybe I can get that Peter Stastny jersey I've been thinking about

Morgoth Bauglir is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 07:45 PM
  #667
KLu
Registered User
 
KLu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 509
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to KLu
Is that man going to be right again?

From jetsfan88

Quote:
II'll stick with QC thank you

KLu is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 07:47 PM
  #668
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan
 
QcBlizzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Saguenay, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
We shall see! I really think it's a foregone conclusion that the Nordiques are returning though. Now maybe I can get that Peter Stastny jersey I've been thinking about
I mean, yes the Nords will be back, but will there be a Good Friday 2.0? Mmmmm, nope.

Cheers

QcBlizzard is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 08:01 PM
  #669
Frenchy
Global Moderator
 
Frenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alma, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,761
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
So is there an expectation that players, coaches and office personnel all speak french in QC? I ask because Tippett and Maloney are some of the best at what they do. Would be a shame to let them go.
Tippett is a really good coach and someone that i would like to keep , but sadly i believe that they will give the job to Roy( probably , mostly ). But my presonnal choice would be to keep Tippett.

Frenchy is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 08:17 PM
  #670
Frenchy
Global Moderator
 
Frenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alma, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,761
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Do you know this first hand? The last time I was in Montreal I don't recall being served in English once unless I asked for it.
I was at the " complex Desjardins " last year . I can tell you for a fact that at the era of restoration , depending on the food concession, i had a really hard time to be served in french.

Frenchy is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 08:44 PM
  #671
nhlfan79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
ITT: CHR is still ******** about losing the Atlanta Knights to Qc.
FWIW, the Knights moved north only because The Omni was being demolished post-1996 Olympics in order to build Philips Arena on the same location. They were drawing very well, near the league high.

nhlfan79 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 07:16 AM
  #672
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,542
vCash: 500
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/2/6...otes-key-arena

Article from last year about why Seattle's Key Arena doesn't work as a temporary venue. I'm feeling confident the Colisee is a temporary better alternative. If anything, it has more usable seats.

Quebec has the best temporary venue. And the shovel is in the ground for the new one, it's paid for and everything, no conditions. Quebec has an owner. Quebec has a TV deal, hell, Quebec has a whole sports network to itself, plus potential access to PKP's priced and highly, highly popular TVA channel, a channel that drew 1/8th of the province to watch semi-pro players playing a series of hockey games. Quebec has the hockey fan base. The NHL in Quebec would have no market competition from another major league sport while in Seattle, the team would only exist to fill the dates the NBA team wouldn't use, while also having to compete with the MLB, NFL and MLS. Seattle could end up receiving revenue sharing for years playing at Key Arena, and maybe afterwards. Quebec would likely ALREADY help PAY for revenue sharing playing at the Colisee.

PKP also has big partners for a potential team: He was aligned with Feeling Productions (Celine Dion & her husband, rich enough to buy their own team.), the province's investment fund and a major union's investment fund to buy the Canadiens. There are no indications that this support has suddenly vanished, on the contrary.

To me it's a no brainer. But for people who believed hockey in Atlanta and Phoenix was a good idea, who knows?


Last edited by Phil Parent: 02-01-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Phil Parent is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 09:23 AM
  #673
powerstuck
User Registered
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Quebec City
Country: Serbia
Posts: 2,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Tippett is a really good coach and someone that i would like to keep , but sadly i believe that they will give the job to Roy( probably , mostly ). But my presonnal choice would be to keep Tippett.
Best solution would be to give Roy some experience as assistant-coach. He gets the experience and the media get their favorite spokesperson in french.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I was at the " complex Desjardins " last year . I can tell you for a fact that at the era of restoration , depending on the food concession, i had a really hard time to be served in french.
3 weeks ago I was at a Subway near Stanley and St-Catherine, despite me being very clear in french that I wanted ''pas de tomates'' in my sub, the guy was keeping throwing damned tomatoes in my damn Subway.

powerstuck is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 09:30 AM
  #674
DDIHH
Registered User
 
DDIHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I was at the " complex Desjardins " last year . I can tell you for a fact that at the era of restoration , depending on the food concession, i had a really hard time to be served in french.

I worked at Complexe Desjardins for many years and I still work there 2 days a week approx.

I can telle you for a fact that I never been served in english in the food court and I ate at every food concessions over the years.

DDIHH is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 09:35 AM
  #675
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/2/6...otes-key-arena

Article from last year about why Seattle's Key Arena doesn't work as a temporary venue. I'm feeling confident the Colisee is a temporary better alternative. If anything, it has more usable seats.

Quebec has the best temporary venue. And the shovel is in the ground for the new one, it's paid for and everything, no conditions. Quebec has an owner. Quebec has a TV deal, hell, Quebec has a whole sports network to itself, plus potential access to PKP's priced and highly, highly popular TVA channel, a channel that drew 1/8th of the province to watch semi-pro players playing a series of hockey games. Quebec has the hockey fan base. The NHL in Quebec would have no market competition from another major league sport while in Seattle, the team would only exist to fill the dates the NBA team wouldn't use, while also having to compete with the MLB, NFL and MLS. Seattle could end up receiving revenue sharing for years playing at Key Arena, and maybe afterwards. Quebec would likely ALREADY help PAY for revenue sharing playing at the Colisee.

PKP also has big partners for a potential team: He was aligned with Feeling Productions (Celine Dion & her husband, rich enough to buy their own team.), the province's investment fund and a major union's investment fund to buy the Canadiens. There are no indications that this support has suddenly vanished, on the contrary.

To me it's a no brainer. But for people who believed hockey in Atlanta and Phoenix was a good idea, who knows?
Renaud Lavoie said NHL source told him they will never play a game at Key Arena. Not suited for NHL hockey thery've told him. Thats why if the Coyotes move this year, it will be to QC.

Undertakerqc is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.