HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Ville de Québec Part VII: Si J'avais les ailes d'un ange

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 05:07 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Cup View Post
He's kidding, RDS looks anti-Quebec most of the time - especially Renaud Lavoie.
Ah ok! So what is RDS and Lavoie's issue with Quebec?

Old
01-31-2013, 05:09 PM
DJ Omnimaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnGBear1970 View Post
Problem is, so is Shawinigan, and my Cape Breton Eagles are...ickkkk...ALL kinds of awful.

The Remparts will make the playoffs, but how long they survive after that, you'd know better.
Remparts are pretty much the San Jose Sharks of the QMJHL. They have a long history of choking in the playoffs, especially goaltending-wise. 2006 was an exception of course for the Remparts, but they had Radulov. Last year they blew a 3-0 series lead in 2nd round and it's not like 2nd round is that hard to go through as a favored team in this league normally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
RDS and parts of the Canadiens are owned by Bell and the future owner of the Nordiques is Quebecor, their main competitor.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:14 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post
RDS and parts of the Canadiens are owned by Bell and the future owner of the Nordiques is Quebecor, their main competitor.
Ah! So they're being company shills.....figures

Old
01-31-2013, 05:24 PM
Stanley Cup
Bettman's ice bucket

IF (and that's a big if) the Coyotes happen to be relocated to QC, I suggest we put some money together to get some guys like XX and rt to a home game like some did in Winnipeg last year

Old
01-31-2013, 05:31 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

I agree and would gladly contribute.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:43 PM
GordonGraham

Quote:
For them its all habs , all the time.

When the 1st rumblings of the new arena/team in quebec city started Lavoie went on the air and said that we didnt need a second team to split support, than now that all the province was behind the habs why would we want to mess with that.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:01 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post

When the 1st rumblings of the new arena/team in quebec city started Lavoie went on the air and said that we didnt need a second team to split support, than now that all the province was behind the habs why would we want to mess with that.
Uggggg! I'm a Habs fan but cripes I'm all for a return of the Nordiques.....the Montreal-Quebec games were some of the absolute best classic rivalry games of the '80s ffs.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:16 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post

All the province behind the Habs? That guy doesn't come to Quebec City often haha. Of all the people I know in Quebec City, less than 50% are Habs fan. If I only count my closest Quebec City friends, we have only ONE Habs fan in a group of 10+ people hahaha. I know more Avs fans than Habs fans.

"All the province is behind the Habs, why divide that?", good one.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:19 PM
Habs05

Quote:
Uggggg! I'm a Habs fan but cripes I'm all for a return of the Nordiques.....the Montreal-Quebec games were some of the absolute best classic rivalry games of the '80s ffs.
Same for me. I saw many posts from Qc against my team but I'm really hoping they get their team back. They deserve it. I WANT to see the rivalry but it might not be as huge as it was before.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:23 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Cup View Post
IF (and that's a big if) the Coyotes happen to be relocated to QC, I suggest we put some money together to get some guys like XX and rt to a home game like some did in Winnipeg last year
rt is in love with QC. I'm sure he will accept whole-heartedly

Old
01-31-2013, 06:29 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs05 View Post
Same for me. I saw many posts from Qc against my team but I'm really hoping they get their team back. They deserve it. I WANT to see the rivalry but it might not be as huge as it was before.
All it takes is one good, tight playoff series

Old
01-31-2013, 06:30 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs05 View Post
Good Friday Brawl

Old
01-31-2013, 07:02 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Good Friday Brawl
There's been worse in the 70s as you know.

In september 1975, Scotty Bowman asked the habs to send a message to the Flyers. One of the most memorable brawl to take place in the Forum happened ..... in a PRE SEASON GAME!

At the end of this particular season playoffs, MTL beat PHI in 4 games, the Flyers had to play more games then the habs and were exhausted but .. some say they had that preseason game in mind.

I also recall a game in 1979 I think, in MTL against BOS, blood, eveything you can imagine.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:04 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
There's been worse in the 70s as you know.

In september 1975, Scotty Bowman asked the habs to send a message to the Flyers. One of the most memorable brawl to take place in the Forum happened ..... in a PRE SEASON GAME!

At the end of this particular season playoffs, MTL beat PHI in 4 games, the Flyers had to play more games then the habs and were exhausted but .. some say they had that preseason game in mind.

I also recall a game in 1979 I think, in MTL against BOS, blood, eveything you can imagine.
Oh yeah. It's just that that Good Friday game sticks out in my mind.....probably because I have that game on video tbh.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:21 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Oh yeah. It's just that that Good Friday game sticks out in my mind.....probably because I have that game on video tbh.
Oh I am not saying it's a dull moment ;-)

Certainly the moment when the rivalry reached its ultimate peak, no question. Not a single house in the whole province was not watching and yellin'

Will this happen again? Lemme be a bit sceptical.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:24 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
Oh I am not saying it's a dull moment ;-)

Certainly the moment when the rivalry reached its ultimate peak, no question. Not a single house in the whole province was not watching and yellin' Some reporters had some small fights.

Will this happen again? Lemme be a bit sceptical.
We shall see! I really think it's a foregone conclusion that the Nordiques are returning though. Now maybe I can get that Peter Stastny jersey I've been thinking about

Old
01-31-2013, 07:45 PM
KLu

Send a message via MSN to KLu
Is that man going to be right again?

From jetsfan88

Quote:
II'll stick with QC thank you

Old
01-31-2013, 07:47 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
We shall see! I really think it's a foregone conclusion that the Nordiques are returning though. Now maybe I can get that Peter Stastny jersey I've been thinking about
I mean, yes the Nords will be back, but will there be a Good Friday 2.0? Mmmmm, nope.

Cheers

Old
01-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
So is there an expectation that players, coaches and office personnel all speak french in QC? I ask because Tippett and Maloney are some of the best at what they do. Would be a shame to let them go.
Tippett is a really good coach and someone that i would like to keep , but sadly i believe that they will give the job to Roy( probably , mostly ). But my presonnal choice would be to keep Tippett.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:17 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Do you know this first hand? The last time I was in Montreal I don't recall being served in English once unless I asked for it.
I was at the " complex Desjardins " last year . I can tell you for a fact that at the era of restoration , depending on the food concession, i had a really hard time to be served in french.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:44 PM
nhlfan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
ITT: CHR is still ******** about losing the Atlanta Knights to Qc.
FWIW, the Knights moved north only because The Omni was being demolished post-1996 Olympics in order to build Philips Arena on the same location. They were drawing very well, near the league high.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:16 AM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/2/6...otes-key-arena

Article from last year about why Seattle's Key Arena doesn't work as a temporary venue. I'm feeling confident the Colisee is a temporary better alternative. If anything, it has more usable seats.

Quebec has the best temporary venue. And the shovel is in the ground for the new one, it's paid for and everything, no conditions. Quebec has an owner. Quebec has a TV deal, hell, Quebec has a whole sports network to itself, plus potential access to PKP's priced and highly, highly popular TVA channel, a channel that drew 1/8th of the province to watch semi-pro players playing a series of hockey games. Quebec has the hockey fan base. The NHL in Quebec would have no market competition from another major league sport while in Seattle, the team would only exist to fill the dates the NBA team wouldn't use, while also having to compete with the MLB, NFL and MLS. Seattle could end up receiving revenue sharing for years playing at Key Arena, and maybe afterwards. Quebec would likely ALREADY help PAY for revenue sharing playing at the Colisee.

PKP also has big partners for a potential team: He was aligned with Feeling Productions (Celine Dion & her husband, rich enough to buy their own team.), the province's investment fund and a major union's investment fund to buy the Canadiens. There are no indications that this support has suddenly vanished, on the contrary.

To me it's a no brainer. But for people who believed hockey in Atlanta and Phoenix was a good idea, who knows?

Last edited by Phil Parent: 02-01-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old
02-01-2013, 09:23 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Tippett is a really good coach and someone that i would like to keep , but sadly i believe that they will give the job to Roy( probably , mostly ). But my presonnal choice would be to keep Tippett.
Best solution would be to give Roy some experience as assistant-coach. He gets the experience and the media get their favorite spokesperson in french.

Quote:
I was at the " complex Desjardins " last year . I can tell you for a fact that at the era of restoration , depending on the food concession, i had a really hard time to be served in french.
3 weeks ago I was at a Subway near Stanley and St-Catherine, despite me being very clear in french that I wanted ''pas de tomates'' in my sub, the guy was keeping throwing damned tomatoes in my damn Subway.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:30 AM
DDIHH

Quote:

I worked at Complexe Desjardins for many years and I still work there 2 days a week approx.

I can telle you for a fact that I never been served in english in the food court and I ate at every food concessions over the years.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/2/6...otes-key-arena

Article from last year about why Seattle's Key Arena doesn't work as a temporary venue. I'm feeling confident the Colisee is a temporary better alternative. If anything, it has more usable seats.

Quebec has the best temporary venue. And the shovel is in the ground for the new one, it's paid for and everything, no conditions. Quebec has an owner. Quebec has a TV deal, hell, Quebec has a whole sports network to itself, plus potential access to PKP's priced and highly, highly popular TVA channel, a channel that drew 1/8th of the province to watch semi-pro players playing a series of hockey games. Quebec has the hockey fan base. The NHL in Quebec would have no market competition from another major league sport while in Seattle, the team would only exist to fill the dates the NBA team wouldn't use, while also having to compete with the MLB, NFL and MLS. Seattle could end up receiving revenue sharing for years playing at Key Arena, and maybe afterwards. Quebec would likely ALREADY help PAY for revenue sharing playing at the Colisee.

PKP also has big partners for a potential team: He was aligned with Feeling Productions (Celine Dion & her husband, rich enough to buy their own team.), the province's investment fund and a major union's investment fund to buy the Canadiens. There are no indications that this support has suddenly vanished, on the contrary.

To me it's a no brainer. But for people who believed hockey in Atlanta and Phoenix was a good idea, who knows?
Renaud Lavoie said NHL source told him they will never play a game at Key Arena. Not suited for NHL hockey thery've told him. Thats why if the Coyotes move this year, it will be to QC.

Closed Thread