HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Non-Ownership Thread: Who Cares Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 11:48 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgregg View Post
Oh it has ended but like a headless chicken it is going to run around for a while not knowing that it is dead.
This is exactly what I think. There will be more rumours upon rumours and then one day after the Coyotes are eliminated from the playoffs, there will be a swift announcement from the blue that "Oh look, we completed a sale to this group in QC". And that will be that.

(Skip to the end, I unintentionally began a rant that I could not stop)
And the league has been talking out of both sides of its mouth since they put the operating loss for the first season into the sales price. For all the talk about wanting to keep the franchise here, the only reason they are still here is that Glendale has kept footing the bill.
Which brings us to the question of why Glendale would drop $50 million into the Coyotes, but weren't willing to make concessions when it came time to make a deal with the available bidders and now is going to watch the 50 million walk into the sunset (disclaimer: I'm against tax-payer money for sports teams; I also think it's the height of idiocy to throw out 50 million because you want to keep the team and then walk away when you could have made a deal and got bent over by JR or Hulsizer, but at least you'd have kept the team -- this is the worst possible outcome for Glendale).
If we were going to lose the team, it would have been ideal to send them back to the Peg. It would still sting, but it'd have a certain symmetry to it.
I feel for you guys, because I began to divorce myself from the team emotionally last year. I thought we were done then. I've still watched, but was pretty certain they were gone. Some of you are just starting that bitter road. And worse, I've remained a full-time Blackhawks' fan the entire time, so it won't be quite as terrible for me. I'll still follow the franchise with a passing interest, but it won't be the same. I'll have to start posting on the Blackhawks board.

Thanks to the many posters on this board for the good deal of pleasantly wasted time over the years.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:52 PM
OKCDevil

vCash: 500
Watch this whole thing devolve into another layer of madness. Like, say, Jamison does end up buying the team, but the deal with Glendale can't be worked out. So the team ends up at the Vet or downtown and the team goes through 2-3 more years of stasis while Jamison tries to convince the tribe to build an arena at Talking Stick. I'm not saying I believe that, just that that would be the most logical illogical step, matching previous logical illogical steps.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:59 PM
drgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
This is exactly what I think. There will be more rumours upon rumours and then one day after the Coyotes are eliminated from the playoffs, there will be a swift announcement from the blue that "Oh look, we completed a sale to this group in QC". And that will be that.

(Skip to the end, I unintentionally began a rant that I could not stop)
And the league has been talking out of both sides of its mouth since they put the operating loss for the first season into the sales price. For all the talk about wanting to keep the franchise here, the only reason they are still here is that Glendale has kept footing the bill.
Which brings us to the question of why Glendale would drop $50 million into the Coyotes, but weren't willing to make concessions when it came time to make a deal with the available bidders and now is going to watch the 50 million walk into the sunset (disclaimer: I'm against tax-payer money for sports teams; I also think it's the height of idiocy to throw out 50 million because you want to keep the team and then walk away when you could have made a deal and got bent over by JR or Hulsizer, but at least you'd have kept the team -- this is the worst possible outcome for Glendale).
If we were going to lose the team, it would have been ideal to send them back to the Peg. It would still sting, but it'd have a certain symmetry to it.
I feel for you guys, because I began to divorce myself from the team emotionally last year. I thought we were done then. I've still watched, but was pretty certain they were gone. Some of you are just starting that bitter road. And worse, I've remained a full-time Blackhawks' fan the entire time, so it won't be quite as terrible for me. I'll still follow the franchise with a passing interest, but it won't be the same. I'll have to start posting on the Blackhawks board.

Thanks to the many posters on this board for the good deal of pleasantly wasted time over the years.
Good post.

I used to view the NHL as a partner in trying to keep the team here, but you're right when losses started getting tacked on to the price and the money from Winnipeg was not I started to see things differently.

It stings a ton right now, I don't know if I will watch tomorrow's game even. I also don't know if I can do another move with this team. Right now it feels like I would 'follow them with a passing interest', but it definitely would not be the same.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:59 PM
cobra427

It is always darkest before the dawn. I can totally see a major investor wanting control and Greg objecting to that. The large investor then says, I'll do it myself. At the end of the day, the NHL would rather have the team here, and the COG might make the same deal to a different group, 3 months from now. I have seen this so many times, this is our last and best offer, but a better one always comes later. Perhaps the NHL discounts the price, finally. I am not betting they are staying, just saying it is not over yet.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:00 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCDevil View Post
Watch this whole thing devolve into another layer of madness. Like, say, Jamison does end up buying the team, but the deal with Glendale can't be worked out. So the team ends up at the Vet or downtown and the team goes through 2-3 more years of stasis while Jamison tries to convince the tribe to build an arena at Talking Stick.
There is no way the Coyotes will be playing at the vet. There is no way the tribe will build an NHL Arena for the Coyotes. If they were to, where are the Coyotes going to play in the meantime? They're not going to play in Glendale and if they do play in downtown Phoenix, chances are US Airways Center would be the final home of the team.

The only way I can see the Coyotes staying in Glendale now is unless a multi-billionare comes in and buys the entire package of the entertainment district and the Cardinals to go with it. If someone were interested in doing that then they are going to relly need to covince the Bidwell's to sell the team at an offer they can't refuse. This would be nice of course, especially if this can not only lead to getting more events there and say an MLS team for cheap but also to create a new sports network that competes with Fox Sports Arizona.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 02-01-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old
02-01-2013, 12:18 AM
XX
... Waiting

Everything being floated right now comes with the qualifier of "they will stay"

"they will stay"
"keep the team in Arizona"
"work with Glendale"

the most damning?

"GJ believes Thursday's negotiations helped keep hockey in Arizona beyond this season"

Why the **** would he feel the need to make such a statement?

It's a smoke screen guys. This is more or less how it went down with Atlanta. Numerous supposedly interested groups that wanted to keep the team there, then one day a sale to TNSE. If you aren't going to get it done with the best possible deal in four years, no white knight is going to ride in and save the team. "this person has deep pockets" "this person has been vetted already" Pretty odd qualifiers to be throwing out there, don't you think? Almost as if they are trying to calm every concern out there right now.

If we don't get a name and a person trotted out in front of cameras by, say, tomorrow, it's all a sham. I think we will see a deal with PKP and the city gets a cut, letting them walk away from a $15 million subsidy and instead pocket money while they struggle with their balance sheet.

Not a single statement directly from Bettman or the league. Nothing on official channels.

Quote:
Paul Giblin ‏@PaulGiblinAriz
Daly tells the Arizona Republic: "Regardless of what may or may not happen tonight, the #Coyotes will still be playing here tomorrow."
So reassuring.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:31 AM
OOEEL

Quote:
Paul Giblin ‏@PaulGiblinAriz
Daly tells the Arizona Republic: "Regardless of what may or may not happen tonight, the #Coyotes will still be playing here tomorrow."
Wrong Bill! They're playing in Dallas tomorrow.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:16 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Daly told HNIC Radio that Thursday isn’t a deadline from the NHL’s perspective.

“Our objective remains the same [to] find a transition ownership in Glendale,” he said.

Will Coyotes franchise be moved if someone other than the league doesn’t own it by end of this season?

“It’s a fair question,” said Daly. “Up to this point the franchise has remained [in Glendale]. We’re closer to executing an alternative [plan] right now than we were five months ago but I’m not going to make any predictions with respect to what happens after this year.”
League officials floating relocation as a possibility.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...c-ontario.html

Old
02-01-2013, 01:17 AM
Vip
Amateur Outdoorsman

vCash: 50
I dont want to root for the Avs

Old
02-01-2013, 01:51 AM
Tanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgregg View Post
We used to joke in Winnipeg that the franchise was cursed in the NHL due to its origins in the WHA.
I don't know about that. The other three franchises born in the WHA all have won Stanley Cups. Maybe it was winning the AVCO Cup that caused the curse... or the Queen staring down on all those games.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:55 AM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
I dont want to root for the Avs
Then don't. It's not the players, coaches, or managements fault no one wants to buy the team and keep them in Glendale. From what we can tell, they have all put out an honest effort to ice a competitive team. It's going to hurt for awhile, but they will have my loyalty wherever they go.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:08 AM
awfulwaffle

I'm just going to troll this board from now on. Going to enjoy hockey here in the desert while I can.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Stump

Quote:
Will Coyotes franchise be moved if someone other than the league doesn’t own it by end of this season?

“It’s a fair question,” said Daly. “Up to this point the franchise has remained [in Glendale]. We’re closer to executing an alternative [plan] right now than we were five months ago but I’m not going to make any predictions with respect to what happens after this year.”
This is about the most damning quote I've heard from Bettman or Daly in years. Deny, deny, deny until you simply can no longer deny. A couple of real weasels. Funny how they've always denied there was a Plan B until now.

The last 4 years have been little more than wolves in sheep's clothing showing up to leverage everyone else's money to buy a hockey team. Was anyone ever serious about buying this team?

Old
02-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Yeah I'm for sure becoming a hard core troll on these boards. People gonna hate rabbits by the time I'm done with em.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:34 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump View Post
This is about the most damning quote I've heard from Bettman or Daly in years. Deny, deny, deny until you simply can no longer deny. A couple of real weasels. Funny how they've always denied there was a Plan B until now.

The last 4 years have been little more than wolves in sheep's clothing showing up to leverage everyone else's money to buy a hockey team. Was anyone ever serious about buying this team?
I honestly do believe Jerry Reinsdorf was the real deal back before the bankruptcy. Back then when it worth paying the Coyotes at a market value and didn't ask for much from the Glendale(15 million in concessions) and got it. But we know what happned next after Moyes filed for the team and seeing the incompetence from the league in this entire mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
Yeah I'm for sure becoming a hard core troll on these boards. People gonna hate rabbits by the time I'm done with em.
Good luck on your endeveor and becoming a legend on these boards as a few others can brag about. I'm hated on these boards alone for telling the truth. Haters gonna hate!

Old
02-01-2013, 08:07 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
Wrong Bill! They're playing in Dallas tomorrow.

Some coyotes alum will be playing the NAU ice jacks Friday night. Was thinking about going.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:25 AM
seasontixholder

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
It is always darkest before the dawn. I can totally see a major investor wanting control and Greg objecting to that. The large investor then says, I'll do it myself. At the end of the day, the NHL would rather have the team here, and the COG might make the same deal to a different group, 3 months from now. I have seen this so many times, this is our last and best offer, but a better one always comes later. Perhaps the NHL discounts the price, finally. I am not betting they are staying, just saying it is not over yet.
The NHL will never discount the price of the team. Why would they? They have 2, possibly 3 cities interested in taking the team for the asking price plus a relocation fee.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:46 AM
ssmatik

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I honestly do believe Jerry Reinsdorf was the real deal back before the bankruptcy. Back then when it worth paying the Coyotes at a market value and didn't ask for much from the Glendale(15 million in concessions) and got it. But we know what happned next after Moyes filed for the team and seeing the incompetence from the league in this entire mess.

Good luck on your endeveor and becoming a legend on these boards as a few others can brag about. I'm hated on these boards alone for telling the truth. Haters gonna hate!
After watching and reading this mess I have one conclusion. Call me a tinfoil hat nut or whatever.
Up until the time GJ came into the picture, I really believe the league wanted the team to stay. When GJ came on the scene, that all changed. Since then the focus has been to strictly minimize losses while buying time until another city is ready.

The first step occurred when the league found a friendly old guy to pretend he was looking to buy.
The next step was to come to town with friendly old man on the eve of the playoffs to announce that friendly old man really was a real person. Looking back, that's all GB said really. The purpose was two-fold:
1. Give hope to STH to get them to renew. (This one worked like a charm on me)
2. Get non-STHs to buy playoff priced seats.

The lock-out was a blessing. Now the league didnt have to pay salaries during a time period when attendance is historically low.

Then came the council meeting. They trotted out friendly old man but the city threw a wrench with deadline.
New plan was to send friendly old man to a game to keep up appearances and wait till week before deadline and then flood the media with conflcting information to put fans in hopeful mood while still not appearing to be lying about the plan to relocate.
The final step is to float "mystery" buyer to keep casual fans buying tickets through the front loaded home games. The only thing to do now is wait for the quick cut and run.

I just wish the media would step up and smack the casual fans in the head and encourage them to stay away. They have my money already but I have none of the nostalgic "I'll just enjoy what games I have left" that many have here. Could be because I never gave up my ties to my original team. Or it's because I'm just a miserable SOB that hates feeling like I've been played.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Numminen

This is ****ing ********. I hope all the good work doesn't go down to the drain..

Old
02-01-2013, 09:15 AM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

Not sure who's to blame: GJ? COG? Bettman? LIkely a combination of all 3. But we do know who the victims are and after 4 years of being dumped upon and conluded with the ultimate dumping yesterday (my birthday no less).

We true Coyote fans deserve better. If only there were more of us :<

Old
02-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Ted Mosby

Maybe I'm naive, but I still think this gets done, to quote GJ, one way or another. I'm not giving up until a moving truck pulls up to Jobing.com.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:32 AM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
Maybe I'm naive, but I still think this gets done, to quote GJ, one way or another. I'm not giving up until a moving truck pulls up to Jobing.com.
To quote GJ. "I have the money" and "I will close by Jan 31".

I'm with you, hold out hope as long as possible....

Old
02-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZviaNJ View Post
Not sure who's to blame: GJ? COG? Bettman? LIkely a combination of all 3. But we do know who the victims are and after 4 years of being dumped upon and conluded with the ultimate dumping yesterday (my birthday no less).

We true Coyote fans deserve better. If only there were more of us :<
There is plenty of blame to go around over the years and we can also include Moyes, Ellman, and Judge Balm(for a reson I have mentioned before) to why we are where we are.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:00 AM
DesertDawg

...and where is the incentive for the players to make the playoffs? So they'll have less time to look into a new housing market, which will be sprung on them at the last moment? They might as well go into an all-in rebuild. How will this affect management?

Old
02-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Quote:
City Councilman Gary Sherwood told The Republic that he understood Jamison and NHL officials discussed several options to assemble an ownership group during just the past two weeks.

During that time, a major new investor emerged, but the new investor demanded a controlling interest, which Jamison was reluctant to cede. Jamison instead tried to press on with a larger collection of smaller investors, but the group failed to jell before the city’s deadline.

Sherwood said Jamison and NHL officials kept in contact with City Attorney Craig Tindall during that period.

The councilman declined to identify the deep-pocketed investor, but said he expects the investor to move forward without Jamison in a separate attempt to buy the team.

“There is a suitor that’s been vetted through the National Hockey League, that’s been OK’d by the National Hockey League, that has money,” Sherwood said.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...otes-deal.html

Closed Thread