HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All purpose Shawn Thornton Thread: Update: Out 7-10 days (Concussion) See post #125

Old
02-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Fenian24

vCash: 500
Steve Macintyre, in the minors for the pens, one of the toughest guys around can handle Scott and anybody else. Would take him as the 23 player on the roster any day over Bourque or another tweener smurf.

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:10 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Have said for three years that it isn't fair to expect a guy of Thornton's size to fight a heavyweight night in and night out and it finally caught up to him.

If he is out long he will be missed. The guys love him, and he really rallies the team with his energy and pitbull mentallity. He would always get the team going when down...who does that now?

Not sure why everyone is so against having a Kassian or McGrattan on our team that could take the 4 minutes of ice time MacDermid got in games like this...Maybe 10 a year.

Bruins are tough...but again, Chara and Lucic shouldn't fight...and McQuaid, Horton and Thornton now all have head problems. If we are going to keep playing this style, it's time to re-inforce.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:12 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Thorty doesn`t have another 3-4 years left but that doesn`t concern me, what the biggest issue here or there was last night is there was absolutely no need to accept a scrap with Scott, a completely unnecessary invitation to accept.

Thornton`s on ice value is so much greater than Scott`s, I know pride/ego/braggin rights play into it but this was a lose lose right from the get go. Of course Sabres fans will be screaming with joy over the beatdown the great John Scott administered and we`d be doing, and have done the same for years here after successful Bruin scraps.

My opinion....CJ should have, unless Scott was running someone, instructed the boys not to bother with him. The ONLY Bruin who should be sparring with him in Chara and that isn`t happening, an even worse tradeoff
I thought Thornton would fair better, but you are right. Do you feel that Chara should have stepped up before the game and said I got this? A fight with Scott was pretty much inevitable in this game.

Agree 100% w THornton's on ice value as well. He brings alot. He needs some help. Would be nice if he could share the role in games like this.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:19 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I thought Thornton would fair better, but you are right. Do you feel that Chara should have stepped up before the game and said I got this? A fight with Scott was pretty much inevitable in this game.

Agree 100% w THornton's on ice value as well. He brings alot. He needs some help. Would be nice if he could share the role in games like this.
I don't think so; I'm not happy with the result last night either, but it would be 100X worse if that was Chara that got caught. I think the other post hit the nail on the head, just don't mess with the guy. He's out there for 5-6 minutes a night. Play your game, if he instigates or runs someone, then you might have to take your chances; otherwise he looks as useless as the time Laraque was skating the first line in Montreal.

Hope Thornton gets healthy and is back soon!!

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:38 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
I don't think so; I'm not happy with the result last night either, but it would be 100X worse if that was Chara that got caught. I think the other post hit the nail on the head, just don't mess with the guy. He's out there for 5-6 minutes a night. Play your game, if he instigates or runs someone, then you might have to take your chances; otherwise he looks as useless as the time Laraque was skating the first line in Montreal.

Hope Thornton gets healthy and is back soon!!
When Scott goes after Lucic in Buffalo, will you want him to turtle ? I'm sure Lucic won't do it. When you play the way the Bruins want to play, you have to take on all comers.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:41 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
When Scott goes after Lucic in Buffalo, will you want him to turtle ? I'm sure Lucic won't do it. When you play the way the Bruins want to play, you have to take on all comers.
I want them to handle a guy like Scott the same way they did Laraque; so yes I guess I want him to ignore the 5 minute a game player. I don't want Lucic getting hurt, or feel like he has to prove himself. 19 other guys on the ice for the other team would want no part of him or half of the rest of our team; if we don't allow them to hide behind one guy, then we expose that weakness.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:44 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

I'm more concerned about how poor Chara has looked this season way more than Thornton not bouncing back from a one sided beat down. He got caught. It happens to everyone who fights for a living. He'll be fine and I'm sure he'll move on from it. Chara on the other hand needs to find his game, and fast. Otherwise this team is going to struggle.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:47 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
I'm more concerned about how poor Chara has looked this season way more than Thornton not bouncing back from a one sided beat down. He got caught. It happens to everyone who fights for a living. He'll be fine and I'm sure he'll move on from it. Chara on the other hand needs to find his game, and fast. Otherwise this team is going to struggle.
The Chara-Boychuk pair has looked horrendous at times this year.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:48 AM
ODAAT

Quote:

You did? I didn`t and I thought before and I believe now (injury or not) that there was absolutely no reason to give Scott so much as a glance let alone drop the mitts with him, total lose lose, he can`t hold the water bottle of a trainer let alone any of the skaters for the Bruins.

I`ll get nailed for this but I`ll say it, this had everything to do with ego/pride for Thornton and nobody here, nor his teammates I suspect, would have any issues had he let Scott just be Scott and skate around for 4 minutes nightly and look like a toolbox

While Chara is/would be the only acceptable dance partner, I think Chara or Julien should have stepped up and yes......pulled the Lewis and said, "just leave Scott alone" , not worth it

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:51 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
It's the "It's OK to expect others to man up vs the Bruins, but don't expect the Bruins to man up" syndrome of HF Boards.

The Ott's and Kaleta's of the world have to fight Lucic, but Lucic doesn't have to fight the Scott's of the world.

Lucic if called upon will man up, but it doesn't have to be that way. Go get someone else to do it... If you ignore it, and other teams call you soft and this and that, then don't cry about it.

Funny how Thornton always has everyone's back, and takes care of others that cross the line...He gets pummeled and nothing further. I hope the Bruins don't let that go next game.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:53 AM
WBC8

Quote:
You did? I didn`t and I thought before and I believe now (injury or not) that there was absolutely no reason to give Scott so much as a glance let alone drop the mitts with him, total lose lose, he can`t hold the water bottle of a trainer let alone any of the skaters for the Bruins.

I`ll get nailed for this but I`ll say it, this had everything to do with ego/pride for Thornton and nobody here, nor his teammates I suspect, would have any issues had he let Scott just be Scott and skate around for 4 minutes nightly and look like a toolbox

While Chara is/would be the only acceptable dance partner, I think Chara or Julien should have stepped up and yes......pulled the Lewis and said, "just leave Scott alone" , not worth it
That's not the Bruins way however... I always hear how other teams "are afraid" of the Bruins because they won't engage them... So now, if the Bruins do that it's OK? Not to me it isn't. That's not this team's identity...

Old
02-01-2013, 07:57 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
I want them to handle a guy like Scott the same way they did Laraque; so yes I guess I want him to ignore the 5 minute a game player. I don't want Lucic getting hurt, or feel like he has to prove himself. 19 other guys on the ice for the other team would want no part of him or half of the rest of our team; if we don't allow them to hide behind one guy, then we expose that weakness.
That would be fine if the Bruins continued to play there game and hit and hit hard, and try to intimidate the other 19, but I didn't see that last night.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:58 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
It's the "It's OK to expect others to man up vs the Bruins, but don't expect the Bruins to man up" syndrome of HF Boards.

The Ott's and Kaleta's of the world have to fight Lucic, but Lucic doesn't have to fight the Scott's of the world.

Lucic if called upon will man up, but it doesn't have to be that way. Go get someone else to do it... If you ignore it, and other teams call you soft and this and that, then don't cry about it.

Funny how Thornton always has everyone's back, and takes care of others that cross the line...He gets pummeled and nothing further. I hope the Bruins don't let that go next game.
Is there a pure goon in the ECHL/AHL

Truth is, I wouldn`t do a thing, the message that sends is that the Sabres are in your head and were answering for something unnecessary. I didn`t see a physically dominating Sabres team, I saw a team who were slightly more physical than last years team but there D is still full of creampuffs, did Ott even land a hit all night? Foligno is a big tough kid but I didn`t see a ton outta him either.

Everyone plays bigger on home ice but I see no need for the B`s to focus their attention on anything other than getting 2pts when they play next, and if they wanna drop the mitts, the B`s are more than capable of doing it better than the Sabres. The last thing I ever worry about with the B`s is team toughness. Some are making it out like the Sabres went into the TD and manhandled the Bruins which is garbagio (not referring to you Whammer).

I thought the B`s were by far the better team, by far the more physically assertive, biggest difference was D breakdowns/missed assignments and Vanek was buried or created goals all over the place. The B`s had more than enough chances and couldn`t bury them, this game makes me fear the Sabres no more today, than that creampuff lineup they put out in years gone by

Old
02-01-2013, 07:58 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:

Agreed 100%. Hopefully they don't go bear hunting with a butter knife next game in Buffalo, with MacDermid as an "enforcer". Luckily for them Orr has the flu so he will most likely not play tomorrow. Gives them time to load up on size and muscle.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:59 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
That would be fine if the Bruins continued to play there game and hit and hit hard, and try to intimidate the other 19, but I didn't see that last night.
I didn`t see them not hitting, I think the pre game expectations have some thinking bloodbath from the opening puck drop. If the B`s won last night, doubt any would have issues with their level of physicality

Old
02-01-2013, 08:01 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Is there a pure goon in the ECHL/AHL

Truth is, I wouldn`t do a thing, the message that sends is that the Sabres are in your head and were answering for something unnecessary. I didn`t see a physically dominating Sabres team, I saw a team who were slightly more physical than last years team but there D is still full of creampuffs, did Ott even land a hit all night? Foligno is a big tough kid but I didn`t see a ton outta him either.

Everyone plays bigger on home ice but I see no need for the B`s to focus their attention on anything other than getting 2pts when they play next. The last thing I ever worry about with the B`s is team toughness. Some are making it out like the Sabres went into the TD and manhandled the Bruins which is garbagio (not referring to you Whammer).

I thought the B`s were by far the better team, by far the more physically assertive, biggest difference was D breakdowns/missed assignments and Vanek was buried or created goals all over the place. The B`s had more than enough chances and couldn`t bury them, this game makes me fear the Sabres no more today, than that creampuff lineup they put out in years gone by
The Sabres came into the Garden, knocked out our top fighter, elbowed our prized rookie in the head, elbowed Paille, and highsticked Paille in the eyeball...All while scoring 6 goals (w a goalie in net) ....in a game that was billed as a "statement game" for them. And outhit us.

You think they made a statement?

Old
02-01-2013, 08:04 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
The Chara-Boychuk pair has looked horrendous at times this year.
Exactly. Replacing a fighter on your team isn't really a big challenge. Replacing the minutes with a Norris caliber d-man? Much harder to do.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:05 AM
beaverjc

Look this is simple. Scott is on the roster for one thing - to fight and intimidate. Thus far he has filled his role well. Thornton is our pugilist and can represent himself well with 90% of the other tough guys but he can't be expected to square off with guys that have 7 inches on him and 70 pounds on him. Would the Sabres sit back an allow Gerbe to drop them with Lucic? I am aware of the importance of Chara, I am aware he is very valuable and not a fair tradeoff but there comes a time when sitting in the box for 5 minutes is worth it to set the tone for the team and maybe that time has come.

beaverjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:06 AM
WBC8

Quote:
I didn`t see them not hitting, I think the pre game expectations have some thinking bloodbath from the opening puck drop. If the B`s won last night, doubt any would have issues with their level of physicality
They had 17 hits. Had 35 vs the Isles, 25 vs the Canes and 33 vs the Devils.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Thornton needs to be replaced in the not so distant future. Very fair to opine about that.

Short term, today, I'm much more concerned about the rest of them having zero reaction to that elbow on Dougie. Inexcusable!
That needs to be corrected ASAP.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:08 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
The Sabres came into the Garden, knocked out our top fighter, elbowed our prized rookie in the head, elbowed Paille, and highsticked Paille in the eyeball...All while scoring 6 goals (w a goalie in net) ....in a game that was billed as a "statement game" for them. And outhit us.

You think they made a statement?
Sure, for their fanbase, I`m sorry Whammer, we just see this one differently, the Sabres HAD to win and HAD to send whatever message the elbows/highsticks send.

The Thornton scrap, IMO, was potentially one of the poorest decisions Thorty has made in a Bruins uni, no need. Our boys had full control of this contest, everyone here could see it, then took 2 penalties, gave up late period goals and that was it.

Sabres have always been sneaky SOB`s, again, the Sabres didn`t win because they owned the Bruins in the physical dept, they won because of defensive breakdowns and the Bruins inability to convert their numerous chances. Not getting the panic around here sorry.

The ONLY message, IMO, was Ruff with the time out, other than that, how Scott beating Thornton is a message is beyond me, the guy is a mammoth and should be able to easily handle most and I just don`t get how highsticks and elbows are sending messages?

Old
02-01-2013, 08:11 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
They had 17 hits. Had 35 vs the Isles, 25 vs the Canes and 33 vs the Devils.
Sorry, still didn`t see a Bruins team not hitting, I saw a Bruins team who had the puck most of the night

Ok, outta here, the way too panicked reaction to this game is interfering with far more important stuff, have fun fans

Old
02-01-2013, 08:12 AM
beaverjc

I absolutely LOVED Ruff calling the timeout. Thats what a head coach should do at that point. Send the message.

beaverjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:18 AM
WBC8

I wonder if Thornton would have addressed Scott had he done that to Chara or Lucic. 100% sure he would have.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:19 AM
NeelyDan

Quote:
The Thornton scrap, IMO, was potentially one of the poorest decisions Thorty has made in a Bruins uni, no need. Our boys had full control of this contest, everyone here could see it, then took 2 penalties, gave up late period goals and that was it.
It was 3 minutes in, what are you talking about?

NeelyDan is offline   Reply With Quote