HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins place Zach Boychuk back on waivers (Claimed by Nashville)

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 07:19 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
Worth the shot. I think he will end up back on waivers though.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:29 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Good, no-risk move. Anybody who criticizes it is being pretty unrealistic.

He's a fast, skilled prospect with pedigree caught in a numbers game. He's also soft, small, and inconsistent, but we presumably want some more genuine talent in the top 6, and you're not going to pluck a 6'4" rhino who can score at will and play Selke defense night-in and night-out off the waiver wire, are you?

Old
01-31-2013, 07:56 PM
bradshaw06

Wonder who gets bumped so he can play. Jeffrey?

Old
01-31-2013, 08:15 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw06 View Post
Wonder who gets bumped so he can play. Jeffrey?
I wouldn't shed a tear if we retained Boychuk and waived Tango. ET could still turn into a player, but the skill trade-off works for me.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:27 PM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

If Boychuk even has a glimmer of hope of working out, Tangradi needs to immediately be on the trade block.

People calling for the 10-15 game "try out" for Tangradi in the Top 6 are in a dream world. Won't happen and more importantly, can't happen. He's been given the chance, it's not working out. Doesn't mean he's a horrible person...it happens...its hockey. The love fest can't continue. Delusions and hopes do not win cups.

Jeffrey lost the 4C to Vitale...and for good reason. He's got the 2nd chance and he's seizing it in my opinion. He's looked pretty good at the 3rd wheel with Geno-Neal. Not the best fit, not like Kunitz last year...but pretty good. He can play center too...he stays.

This glaring and painfully blatant hole on Sid's wing is absolutely unacceptable. Maybe Boychuk fills it, maybe not. But it has to be filled. We can't move forward with Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis. It's not working and its not going to work.

Excited to see him play. 99% sure we'll see:

Kunitz-Sid-Duper
Boychuk-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-TK
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Scratch: Jeffrey, Tangradi...

Old
01-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

The more I watch the other, other Zach (Kassian), the less patience I have with Tangradi, assuming he gets some Top 6 time and does nothing with it. Granted he's not playing with the Sedin twins but I'm not sure it would matter. It took Kassian some time too (he didn't do much last year in 40+ games with Buffalo and Vancouver, but still more than Tangradi -- 11:00 ATOI, 4G, 6A, ~80 hits), but now in his second year basically he is making big strides when given a chance. Can't blame it all on Disco although certainly part of it is his doing.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
The more I watch the other, other Zach (Kassian), the less patience I have with Tangradi, assuming he gets some Top 6 time and does nothing with it. Granted he's not playing with the Sedin twins but I'm not sure it would matter. It took Kassian some time too (he didn't do much last year in 40+ games but still more than Tangradi).
I wouldn't get too choked. Kassian is simply a better player with a better pedigree.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:44 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Kind of ironic that Boychuk prefers to wear #11.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:49 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
It's already been confirmed that he's wearing #17, but I wish it would have been #11.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:50 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I wouldn't get too choked. Kassian is simply a better player with a better pedigree.
No doubt but is it that much better that it should take Tango twice as long to start showing signs? Granted he's been mishandled a number of times and is never given a consistent assignment, but I'm feeling like if he's not contributing something decent in the next 20 games here... I'm not going to lose any sleep if he's traded in a package for a better asset. I won't feel like we "blew it" IOW. And, might as well get something for him if Bylsma is just going to effectively drive his value into the dirt.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:59 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
No doubt but is it that much better that it should take Tango twice as long to start showing signs? Granted he's been mishandled a number of times and is never given a consistent assignment, but I'm feeling like if he's not contributing something decent in the next 20 games here... I'm not going to lose any sleep if he's traded in a package for a better asset. I won't feel like we "blew it" IOW. And, might as well get something for him if Bylsma is just going to effectively drive his value into the dirt.
This is about the best chance he's going to get, or honestly...deserves to get. Like we've just seen with Boychuk, prospects can't live on potential, and sometimes even pedigreed guys get lost in the shuffle.

I won't lose any sleep if he gets dealt either. We might not have squeezed every last drop of ET's potential, but few 2nd rounders with limited production at the minor league level are afforded any kind of extended NHL scoring line opportunity.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:59 PM
canadianguy77

This team deperately needs some speed on the wings. Kunitz's legs are gone, probably never to return, and it looks like Dupuis may have lost a step over the extended break. If this guy has some straight ahead speed, I say give him a shot on one of the top two lines.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:06 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
I won't lose any sleep either. I just don't think he's going to make it on this team. We screwed with his development too much. He may have never been an awesome top-6 winger, but he certainly could have been a decent 3rd wheel. I'd rather either trade the guy or waive him at this point and go with other options in house. He's the classic case of needing a change of scenery.

I'd rather give Boychuk the chance over Tangradi at this point. Only because he's a fresher face, and may mesh better with our team/coach.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:08 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
That is pretty funny...for his sake I hope he goes with something else, though. Taking the number of such a good player so soon tends to come with some teammate and fan ribbing.

Checking the Penguins site, he's listed as #17...it's a little easier to take Mike Rupp's old jersey than Jordan Staal's

As for some comments through the thread comparing Boychuk to the last couple wingers we've claimed off wingers (plus Brett Sterling)...there is one glaring difference there.
Cal O'Reilly was drafted 150th overall (end of the 5th round) in 2005 and his numbers were always heavily tilted towards being a playmaker. In his final year of juniors he scored 99 points, but with only 18 goals. O'Reilly had some decent time in the NHL, but is one of those guys who had a major injury seriously zap his game and hence he held onto the fringe of the league for a season, but no longer is a NHL player. Hell, he's not even in North America this year (he's been in Magnitogorsk).
Chris Bourque was drafted in the 2nd round in 2004, but the general consensus was that if his name was Chris Zabronski he'd have been a 6th rounder. There were a lot of people who fell in love with his name and Washington obviously had a couple of them...and he obviously didn't really work out much differently than a lot of people expected (good skills that wouldn't translate into the NHL). His waiver claim was a Hail Mary attempt in the sense that he was one of the best players in the AHL and he deserved a look in the NHL at least, something Washington wasn't giving him. He surprised absolutely nobody by being too small and too scared of contact to do anything. Bourque is also the smallest of the group here, generously listed at 5'8". I'm 5'7" on the dot and I'd be shocked if I'm not at least the same height as him.
Brett Sterling - A late 5th round pick (125th overall) who came to Pittsburgh as a reclamation project after a major injury had stalled and rolled back his level of play. Sterling wasn't claimed as a flier, though, he was a free agent signing mostly done as a depth signing/AHL player. He only played 7 games in Pittsburgh and had 5 points in that time, making him by far the most successful of the three. Sterling and Boychuk seem to be the same size.

I'm not expecting Boychuk to be the missing piece here, but a 23 year-old 14th overall selection has a far better chance of succeeding than those three did, especially considering O'Reilly and Sterling seemed to be acquired more for the AHL teams than anything (yeah O'Reilly got a few games as a Penguin...but he never got any real ice time and he was on a one-way deal worth a shade over $1 million, so there was no way Phoenix was going to re-claim him). A very large part of me expects him to be back in Carolina in a few weeks, but if he plays well enough in the meantime that could force a trade elsewhere. I really don't think Dustin Jeffrey is long for the organization just because he really doesn't fit anywhere in the current line-up and doesn't have top six potential.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
02-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Worth the shot. I think he will end up back on waivers though.
100% worth the shot..sort of same situation as bourque was when we claimed him frmo the caps. boychuk was a lot better jr though and although smallish he can handle himself in the dirty areas a lot better than bourque could ever dream of.

still doesnt make up for shero not trading for nash but at least its the beginning of him looking for a winger that we desperately need.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:22 AM
canadianguy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
100% worth the shot..sort of same situation as bourque was when we claimed him frmo the caps. boychuk was a lot better jr though and although smallish he can handle himself in the dirty areas a lot better than bourque could ever dream of.

still doesnt make up for shero not trading for nash but at least its the beginning of him looking for a winger that we desperately need.
Was that even a possibility? I have a hard time believing that we had anywhere near the players required to land the Monster Nash.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:34 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
We didn't have the players to acquire Nash...and I still hate that Nash contract.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:39 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
We didn't have the players to acquire Nash...and I still hate that Nash contract.
also, it doesn't seem like Nash helped the Rangers out that much against the Pens.

then again, the Rangers haven't matched up well at all against Pittsburgh over the last several seasons.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:44 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by psupens View Post
also, it doesn't seem like Nash helped the Rangers out that much against the Pens.

then again, the Rangers haven't matched up well at all against Pittsburgh over the last several seasons.
Doesn't it feel great to be the NJ Devils to another franchise? Especially to one I dislike as much as the Rangers. For years I cringed every time we played the Devils, even if their record sucked. Now we are that team to the Rangers.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:19 AM
od71

Is Boychuk right or left-handed player?

Old
02-01-2013, 05:34 AM
The Old Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
hit or miss...but it's great to know we stopped him from becoming a ranger. they would of picked him up for a shot after us, .....now if it doesn't work out, he gos back to his old team. love it!

Old
02-01-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
Is Boychuk right or left-handed player?
Lefty but its his legs that are the asset. The Pens need someone will a little bit of poise that can skate. ZaBo fits the bill to a degree.

I kind of thought he would a Straka type and like Straka he would need to get kicked around the league a little. Then figure out his game and become a good player. IMO he needs more buzz to his game to become a better player. Straka found that out in his mid 20's too.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:05 AM
cassius

This move further supplants my belief that Tangradi is a flat out bust.

As far as the impact, I'm expecting a Chris Bourque type performance from Boychuk. He simply isn't a very good hockey player and doesn't project to be solid NHL player. Don't get your hopes up.

Last edited by cassius: 02-01-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old
02-01-2013, 08:08 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
The plus is he has good speed and good offensive skills. He has shown in the AHL that he can score and is good on the PP. In order for a young forward to stick with Carolina, he either needs to light it up right away (like Skinner) or be sound in other aspects of his game such as defense, physical play, etc.. (such as Sutter and more recently Tlusty and Bowman).
Unless our Pro scouts/Shero have seen something with ZB in the past, seen enough to give him more than a few games to see if there's a spark, he will be on a very short leash as well.

As a project though, offensive skill and speed is what's needed right now, as really Dustin Jeffrey might be our 4th best offensive minded player behind the big 3, effectiveness aside. But all the reports of "Boychuk to play with Malkin", well I'm not sure that's the best course of action. I want Boychuk's offensive game and speed tried out with Crosby, for a few reasons:

1) I like the Jeffrey - Malkin - Neal line. Try it for a few more games.
2) If that experiments fails, we know Kunitz - Malkin - Neal works. Kunitz obviously is struggling but is only needed as a complimentary player on this line so he can focus on the "fool proof" stuff.
3) Kunitz is doing nothing on Crosby's line.

Summary: keep Jeffrey on L2 for a few more games. If that fails drop Kunitz to that spot and try Boychuk next to Crosby. And maybe if that doesn't work you can switch the two and put Kunitz back on the first line - at that point Shero should be making a significant trade.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Corsi Close

Did anyone hear Dreger last night on NHL Network ref ZB?

He said the Canes got rid of him for two reasons: He refused to go to the 'tough' areas of the ice and is a perimeter player only and Muller was frustrated by that.

And the Canes are not financially secure enough to have his contract sitting in Charlotte or the press box every night as they have another player doing the same, (can't remember his name).

Closed Thread