HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need a heavyweight enforcer...

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Darcy Hordichuk on waivers?
Yes 21 33.87%
No 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 12:24 AM
groovejuice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
they should get an enforcer
Nice one

Old
02-01-2013, 01:33 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Too bad Lucic didn't try to avenge his teammate.
Lucic would get the same beating as Thornton....

Thornton could stand in with BGL, Lucic ran wanted no part of that....

Big John ,would take down Lucic....and even Chara.

that Buff/ Boston rivalry, just got taken to another level...

Old
02-01-2013, 05:02 AM
Mr. Hab

Schultz? What happened to Schultz? (Still in the AHL?).
To be perfectly honest...I do wish we could find a 25 year-old Laraque and not the Fax-machine-secretary version).
Chara and Lucic were so afraid of Laraque.

Dustin Byfuglien would be my favorite player/fighter.
He can do it all...amazing power dman...amazing power forward...can fight if needed. Would love to see him wearing the CH jersey. Gorges-Subban, Markov - Byfuglien, Bouillon-Emelin/Diaz.

I really really don't heart the Bruins since they use revenge/violence when they lose against us (Chara on Pacioretty) and when they put an enforcer against Tom ''nice guy/gentleman'' Pyatt...all because they couldn't play hockey against us.

I still believe the only reason they won a Cup recently is because of ****ing Shanahan (Chara played in playoffs and Pacioretty was out because of Chara...obvious revenge). I think Pacioretty would have helped us win that series in 6 (maybe even 5).

Which enforcers are or can be available to us?

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 02-01-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old
02-01-2013, 05:28 AM
TennisMenace

The Sabres answered my question for me- YES!!!!!!
John Scott destroying Thorton made Boston at home play like civilized *****cats. If that were Habs winning 6-4 at the end every tough Bruin would have been abusing our smurfs.
We can't count on 195 guys to punch out Mcquaid, Thorton, Lucic, or Chara.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:31 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
John Scott would disapprove.

At this moment, the Sabres are laughing it up at how Scott damned near killed Thornton and how the Bruins did not even offer up a fight after that.

Sorry man. Sometimes you have to counteract badasses with a bigger badass.

Gauthier and Martin have really left their legacy in Montreal.
This is true. We need to protect our assets so please get a John Scott to watch over the smurfs.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:33 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Pretty clear the Scott-Thornton fight had a profound effect on tonight's game.
Yes. There was a reason why there were no 3rd period goonery when it was lost.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:35 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Who would you drop from the lineup assuming it was as healthy as last game's? I'm guessing Armstrong, White or Moen, which I can understand (it's not like I'm 100% against the idea of a Scott-type figure, I'd just rather not), but that line is actually pretty awesome for energy, defense and the occasional goal.
Oh come on. Armstrong has done nothing for our team as well as White. How many points do any of these guys have? Scott's presence would far surpass their 7 minutes of nothing.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:50 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Yeah 'cause Scott is so invincible....see Colton Orr. This is bogus. Nobody in the league can match Chara, most have trouble matching Lucic, and Thornton is clearly one of the best pound for pound fighter. We thought Carkner would do well against Lucic and then boom. You might only have Scott who could face all of them and even he is not invincible. The problem isn't that we don't have enforcers. Problem relies on the fact that the BRUINS have so many of those that ALSO can play hockey. Where the hell would you insert Scott? Instead of who? And who else can fare against most of them?

We're clearly getting the Bruins syndrom. As if we have to form our team based on their team. I know, they're good and tough, but that takes time to form and since our past management didn't beleive in it, we have to slowly get there. But it won't happen because we'll get Cam Janssen.....or Donald Brashear....Waste of spot that will force our players to play more than they should.

A tough that can play hockey? Absolutely. There's are not a lot of those guys out there and the ones that exist are probably not available.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:53 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
To be perfectly honest...I do wish we could find a 25 year-old Laraque and not the Fax-machine-secretary version).

He can do it all...amazing power dman...amazing power forward...can fight if needed. Would love to see him wearing the CH jersey. Gorges-Subban, Markov - Byfuglien, Bouillon-Emelin/Diaz.

I really really don't heart the Bruins since they use revenge/violence when they lose against us (Chara on Pacioretty) and when they put an enforcer against Tom ''nice guy/gentleman'' Pyatt...all because they couldn't play hockey against us.

I still believe the only reason they won a Cup recently is because of ****ing Shanahan (Chara played in playoffs and Pacioretty was out because of Chara...obvious revenge). I think Pacioretty would have helped us win that series in 6 (maybe even 5).

Steve McIntyre would be pretty nice, this guy is a raging mammoth... rotate him and Armstrong against big, physical teams/skilled teams, and we could be on to something. Not very good though, but, he won't ask permission to start trouncing somebody... wonder what the Pens would ask, probably not a whole lot, a pick I guess.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:52 AM
idk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post

Actually at the time is was Colin Campbell (Gregory Campbell's father if that helps you place him) and not Shanny. Shanny's got a ton of warts himself, but let's not saddle him with another man's baggage.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post
Actually at the time is was Colin Campbell (Gregory Campbell's father if that helps you place him) and not Shanny. Shanny's got a ton of warts himself, but let's not saddle him with another man's baggage.
I thought it was Shanahan...my mistake (bad memory).

Shanahan seemed like an improvement in the beginning (hope), but it didn't take long to see the NHL needs a committee of 5-6 judges...to hand out strict penalties/suspensions/fines for what Chara did to Pacioretty (for example) instead of one person who was a goon or not exactly a pacifist on the ice when he was an NHLer (Shanahan).

Solution against the Bruins...only win by 1 goal!!
(EVERY time ...and I mean EVERYtime we win by 2-3 goals...they stop playing hockey and they goon it up against our small players...they aim to injure our players when we win and the NHL allows it).

Old
02-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Steve McIntyre would be pretty nice, this guy is a raging mammoth... rotate him and Armstrong against big, physical teams/skilled teams, and we could be on to something. Not very good though, but, he won't ask permission to start trouncing somebody... wonder what the Pens would ask, probably not a whole lot, a pick I guess.
Sure! Anyone to let us play hockey vs the Bruins.
I would think the Pens would need him though, no?

Old
02-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Maxpac

There's a lot of good young fighters that aren't that bad, like Toronto that just claimed Mclaren. The player to get imo was Brandon Maschinter who got traded from San Jose to NY.

The point isn't to have THE BEST fighter out there, it's just getting somebody that can do the job, for us to stand our ground, and to Whitesnake, that doesn't mean we're becoming Boston, it's just a winning formula when you're best players can play their game.

Anyways, we moved wayyy forward by getting Prust, he's made his presence felt since day 1 and it shows, a lot. Galchenyuk was happy to have him on his on his side at the end of last game I'm sure of it.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Mr. Hab

As long as the NHL allows a goon team like the Bruins to win a Cup by cheating and using violence to injure other teams' players...we unfortunately need an enforcer to protect ourselves but hopefully one day a committee replaces Shanahan.

How come we don't have one in our farm system? (an enforcer)...just to call him up against the Bruins for example.

We need an enforcer only against violent teams that cheat like Boston since they just injure players when they lose by two goals (and the NHL allows it). This is why we need this kind of enforcer in our farm system.

S.Thornton...justice was served against him for always bullying small Hab players...call it karma (Scott).

Next is...Chara and Lucic...they'll get their karma.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 02-01-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old
02-01-2013, 08:04 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
There's a lot of good young fighters that aren't that bad, like Toronto that just claimed Mclaren. The player to get imo was Brandon Maschinter who got traded from San Jose to NY.

The point isn't to have THE BEST fighter out there, it's just getting somebody that can do the job, for us to stand our ground, and to Whitesnake, that doesn't mean we're becoming Boston, it's just a winning formula when you're best players can play their game.

Anyways, we moved wayyy forward by getting Prust, he's made his presence felt since day 1 and it shows, a lot. Galchenyuk was happy to have him on his on his side at the end of last game I'm sure of it.
But McLaren CAN'T play hockey whatsoever. I don't see the point in going back in ages and get a guy who can't play hockey. What Boston does great is that their fighters are actually good hockey players. You get a goon who can't play and right there you have a disadvantage. And sorry...but 1 game of Scott against Thornton will not change my mind. If anything, Chara should have went there and visit Scott. Thornton is incredibly brave for doing it.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:08 AM
zman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
The Sabres answered my question for me- YES!!!!!!
John Scott destroying Thorton made Boston at home play like civilized *****cats. If that were Habs winning 6-4 at the end every tough Bruin would have been abusing our smurfs.
We can't count on 195 guys to punch out Mcquaid, Thorton, Lucic, or Chara.
Being a Sabres fan and watching our little team get bullied the past few years by Boston, this was a total reversal last night. Now John Scott is useless as a "real" hockey player but he did his job perfectly last night. Apparently he patrolled the red line during pre-game warmups, barely touching the puck. He and Thornton jawed a bit while standing there, probably staging their fight less than 2 minutes into the game. Scott handled Thornton in that fight like my big brother handled me when we were kids...just kind of embarrased him while not even trying that hard. For the rest of the game...Lucic, Chara, etc.., none of them wanted anything to do with cheap stuff or having to answer to John Scott. The whole tone of the game was brought back to just skill on skill. Of course at the end, down by 3 Boston wanted to goon it up and set the tone for the re-match next week. Ruff smartly called timeout so he could get Scott back on the ice to neutralize Boston's enforcer (McDermott?). Puck drops, nothing happens, players go home... Boston fans and media whining after the game about their lack of a response to Thornton getting knocked out of the game and Ruff "disrespect" for calling timeout. Too funny. Love it. I love having a legit enforcer again. See you Saturday!

Old
02-01-2013, 08:08 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Pretty clear the Scott-Thornton fight had a profound effect on tonight's game.
Elaborate?

Old
02-01-2013, 08:10 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Elaborate?
Scott beat the **** out of Thornton resulting it seems in a concussion. Bruins players pretty much behaved the rest of the night

Old
02-01-2013, 08:15 AM
FireBergevin
ultimate warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
Being a Sabres fan and watching our little team get bullied the past few years by Boston, this was a total reversal last night. Now John Scott is useless as a "real" hockey player but he did his job perfectly last night. Apparently he patrolled the red line during pre-game warmups, barely touching the puck. He and Thornton jawed a bit while standing there, probably staging their fight less than 2 minutes into the game. Scott handled Thornton in that fight like my big brother handled me when we were kids...just kind of embarrased him while not even trying that hard. For the rest of the game...Lucic, Chara, etc.., none of them wanted anything to do with cheap stuff or having to answer to John Scott. The whole tone of the game was brought back to just skill on skill. Of course at the end, down by 3 Boston wanted to goon it up and set the tone for the re-match next week. Ruff smartly called timeout so he could get Scott back on the ice to neutralize Boston's enforcer (McDermott?). Puck drops, nothing happens, players go home... Boston fans and media whining after the game about their lack of a response to Thornton getting knocked out of the game and Ruff "disrespect" for calling timeout. Too funny. Love it. I love having a legit enforcer again. See you Saturday!
Speaking of which...who are the Habs going to get on short notice so Prust doesn't have to fight Scott?

People in here are praising him for what he did last night, but they might change their tune aboot Scott tomorrow.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:23 AM
No Team Needed

It's kind of funny seeing Hab fans freak about needing an enforcer and calling Boston a goon team. I remember when it was Montreal skating circles around Boston skill wise and guys like Steve Begin getting away with complete cheap shots on Marc Savard. Who avenged Savard for that anyway? Oh yeah, nobody. Boston ended up signing Steve Begin at one point even.

The only people who really care about this stuff are the fans. Hockey players care too much about who is getting the most publicity and not saying the word "team" the required amount of times.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Loving it!! Your post should be a lesson to the NHL and to all those who have to get injured byt the Bruins 'cause the NHL allows it. It really stinks that we have to get an enforcer...but we need the protection. So very tired of the Bruins injuring or almost killing our players when they can't beat us fair and square.

We wouldn't need an enforcer if the NHL would let hockey players play hockey...but you need violence to please loud, uneducated, over-macho rednecks like Cherry...as long as the NHL allows Lucic, Thornton, Chara,etc...to goon it up and injure everytime they lose without suspensions/heavy fines...we have to get an enforcer as well (no choice)...this way our Galchenyuks can get busy doing what they do best...playing hockey. We just need protection...in case.

But still...I love that we have Prust, Bouillon (small pitbull, huge heart), White (all about the team) , Moen (smart-defensive/playoff warrior), and Armstrong (can play hockey and throw heavy bodychecks...hated us playing against him). But...just against the Bruins (bunch of cheaters/ goons/sore losers)...we may need an enforcer (not really to fight but to ''police'' the Bruins (to allow our skilled players to do their thing in peace).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 02-01-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old
02-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
It's kind of funny seeing Hab fans freak about needing an enforcer and calling Boston a goon team. I remember when it was Montreal skating circles around Boston skill wise and guys like Steve Begin getting away with complete cheap shots on Marc Savard. Who avenged Savard for that anyway? Oh yeah, nobody. Boston ended up signing Steve Begin at one point even.

The only people who really care about this stuff are the fans. Hockey players care too much about who is getting the most publicity and not saying the word "team" the required amount of times.
I'm still against having nothing but a fighter on a team, it's a waste of spot. Even has your 13th forward there is no point for those 3-4 games a year. Buffalo did it IMO cause of what happened last year with Lucic and Miller

No one came to the aid of Miller and that must have pissed off the coaching and management big time

Old
02-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

See you guys tomorrow, hopefully Scott behaves

Old
02-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I'm still against having nothing but a fighter on a team, it's a waste of spot. Even has your 13th forward there is no point for those 3-4 games a year. Buffalo did it IMO cause of what happened last year with Lucic and Miller

No one came to the aid of Miller and that must have pissed off the coaching and management big time
There's PLENTY of fighters that can play the game to a certain level now.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:46 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post

I completely understand the need for a team wanting to get more physical. Or bigger. Or more aggressive. Hell, you could say that Buffalo getting John Scott is what Montreal should have done when Pacioretty got hurt.

But did John Scott get revenge on Milan Lucic? No, he fought 34 year old Shawn Thornton. In a game where Rask got shelled. Hey, remember the days when Montreal would shell Boston and Boston would do nothing about it?

Wednesday, February 6 will be an interesting game to me. Montreal as an overall team has gotten tougher everywhere except the defence. Subban will be back and he always sends the Bruins headaches. You know what's going to be hilarious? When Emelin puts the boom on a Bruin and nobody can fight him for it.

Closed Thread