HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need a heavyweight enforcer...

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Darcy Hordichuk on waivers?
Yes 21 33.87%
No 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Parros rarely wins a tilt.

He's not actually.
There's three or four heavy weight in this league and not much of them can play hockey(one?)
I don't think you've seen Parros fight or play. I live out west and saw plenty of him. As for the fights, Hockeyfights seems to also disagree with you: http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/1859

As for the question asked by the OP, heavyweights who can also play hockey are few and far between and when a team finds one, they take care of him and try to keep him. I'm not in favour of having a guy who would hurt the team when on the ice, or being so intimidating that no one will want to drop the gloves with him (see Laraque).

Short and sweet: No, the Habs don't "need" a heavyweight enforcer unless one who can play falls on their laps or if they draft one.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Frankenheimer

I think the opportunity has passed. I agree with getting an enforcer, but only a big mofo that is sure to bring the pain. I don't think the spot takes much away and is effective. Suppose the enforcer plays 3-4 minutes, the remaining minutes can be plugged in with a rotating double shift with other wingers. We play Boston like 6 times a year, and then there's Philly, so we need someone to stand up to them, even Chara.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
I completely understand the need for a team wanting to get more physical. Or bigger. Or more aggressive. Hell, you could say that Buffalo getting John Scott is what Montreal should have done when Pacioretty got hurt.

But did John Scott get revenge on Milan Lucic? No, he fought 34 year old Shawn Thornton. In a game where Rask got shelled. Hey, remember the days when Montreal would shell Boston and Boston would do nothing about it?

Wednesday, February 6 will be an interesting game to me. Montreal as an overall team has gotten tougher everywhere except the defence. Subban will be back and he always sends the Bruins headaches. You know what's going to be hilarious? When Emelin puts the boom on a Bruin and nobody can fight him for it.
I hope Emelin puts Marchand through the glass

Old
02-01-2013, 09:52 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
I think the opportunity has passed. I agree with getting an enforcer, but only a big mofo that is sure to bring the pain. I don't think the spot takes much away and is effective. Suppose the enforcer plays 3-4 minutes, the remaining minutes can be plugged in with a rotating double shift with other wingers. We play Boston like 6 times a year, and then there's Philly, so we need someone to stand up to them, even Chara.
Philly is barely physical these days because their players keep dropping like flies.

Again, nobody is standing up to Chara. About the most Montreal could maybe do there is tell Colby Armstrong there's a spot for him on the team next year if he cheap shots him.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:53 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
Being a Sabres fan and watching our little team get bullied the past few years by Boston, this was a total reversal last night. Now John Scott is useless as a "real" hockey player but he did his job perfectly last night. Apparently he patrolled the red line during pre-game warmups, barely touching the puck. He and Thornton jawed a bit while standing there, probably staging their fight less than 2 minutes into the game. Scott handled Thornton in that fight like my big brother handled me when we were kids...just kind of embarrased him while not even trying that hard. For the rest of the game...Lucic, Chara, etc.., none of them wanted anything to do with cheap stuff or having to answer to John Scott. The whole tone of the game was brought back to just skill on skill. Of course at the end, down by 3 Boston wanted to goon it up and set the tone for the re-match next week. Ruff smartly called timeout so he could get Scott back on the ice to neutralize Boston's enforcer (McDermott?). Puck drops, nothing happens, players go home... Boston fans and media whining after the game about their lack of a response to Thornton getting knocked out of the game and Ruff "disrespect" for calling timeout. Too funny. Love it. I love having a legit enforcer again. See you Saturday!
Well said, sir! Apparently, we'll need a Miller-type incident for our fans to realize that we can't compete against Boston just with skill. The problem is that none of our D can fight and the tougher guys like Moen and Prust don't scare guys like Thornton and Lucic. So if you end up with both Gallys on the ice and one of our D pairings, then Prust is on his own and one of the kids is going to get injured.

Kudos to Ruff for the timeout. That was classic Julien to try to send a message with a few seconds left. Fantastic move to put Scott back on the ice. Must have felt really good for Sabres fans.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:53 AM
FireBergevin
Wild & unwilling

Ryan Reaves comes to mind as a guy to target if Armstrong doesn't re-sign.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
I completely understand the need for a team wanting to get more physical. Or bigger. Or more aggressive. Hell, you could say that Buffalo getting John Scott is what Montreal should have done when Pacioretty got hurt.

But did John Scott get revenge on Milan Lucic? No, he fought 34 year old Shawn Thornton. In a game where Rask got shelled. Hey, remember the days when Montreal would shell Boston and Boston would do nothing about it?

Wednesday, February 6 will be an interesting game to me. Montreal as an overall team has gotten tougher everywhere except the defence. Subban will be back and he always sends the Bruins headaches. You know what's going to be hilarious? When Emelin puts the boom on a Bruin and nobody can fight him for it.
Haha!! Hilarious indeed! Thornton was pissed last season at Emelin...'cause Emelin threw a legal bodycheck at Thornton and he didn't like it.

And, we never bullied the Sabres...so Scott should be more relaxed against us. Well...I hope so! (gulp!).

I think Scott should save his knuckles for Lucic and Chara's monster face (don't know how his wife/girlfriend sleeps with him...probably likes to be blindfolded in bed everytime so she doesn't have to look at his monster-like face...still can't forgive what he did to Pacioretty...still waiting for karma since he almost killed Pacioretty...still so happy Pacioretty is so strong and healthy now).

Old
02-01-2013, 09:56 AM
PricePkPatch

Well.. I am against having a heavyweight on our team..

But there is something to be said about drawing Chara, Lucic or Thorton in the box for 5 minutes when we only get penalized on a 4th liner. Clear skill trade win for us. Bonus if the heavyweight made the Bruins his *****.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:59 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
I think Scott should save his knuckles for Lucic and Chara's monster face (don't know how his wife/girlfriend sleeps with him...probably likes to be blindfolded in bed everytime so she doesn't have to look at his monster-like face...still can't forgive what he did to Pacioretty...still waiting for karma since he almost killed Pacioretty...still so happy Pacioretty is so strong and healthy now).
Lucic never fights anyone he doesn't think he can beat. Chara, if he thinks he might lose a fight will just go for the takedown. You can't get retribution against those two unless it's a cheap shot.

And karma in sports really doesn't work that way. Steve Begin cheapshotted Marc Savard and Montreal saw nothing but success after. Zdeno Chara cheapshots Max Pacioretty and they win a Cup after. That's more of how it works.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:00 AM
zman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Loving it!! Your post should be a lesson to the NHL and to all those who have to get injured byt the Bruins 'cause the NHL allows it. It really stinks that we have to get an enforcer...but we need the protection. So very tired of the Bruins injuring or almost killing our players when they can't beat us fair and square.

We wouldn't need an enforcer if the NHL would let hockey players play hockey...but you need violence to please loud, uneducated, over-macho rednecks like Cherry...as long as the NHL allows Lucic, Thornton, Chara,etc...to goon it up and injure everytime they lose without suspensions/heavy fines...we have to get an enforcer as well (no choice)...this way our Galchenyuks can get busy doing what they do best...playing hockey. We just need protection...in case.

But still...I love that we have Prust, Bouillon (small pitbull, huge heart), White (all about the team) , Moen (smart-defensive/playoff warrior), and Armstrong (can play hockey and throw heavy bodychecks...hated us playing against him). But...just against the Bruins (bunch of cheaters/ goons/sore losers)...we may need an enforcer (not really to fight but to ''police'' the Bruins (to allow our skilled players to do their thing in peace).
Well Boston has themselves to blame for forcing the hand of another team to GET a goon player to have to combat them. Believe me, the Sabres management was more than happy to have smallish, skilled forwards but they constantly got bullied and roughed up by Boston. I think it's hilarious this morning on Boston radio to hear people upset that no one on their club had Thornton's back last night. All their big guys suddenly turned "soft" and they didn't have the guts to challenge Buffalo's big guy. Too funny. The Bruins fan reaction is arguably better than the actual on ice incidents.

Last edited by zman: 02-01-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old
02-01-2013, 10:02 AM
DenverHabsFan

Can't wait to see how MT reacts in those kind of games. I remember quite a few times where we were up by 2 or 3 goals against the Bruins and I was all pumped and then Julien starts rolling out his goon squad trying to injure our players and JM would do nothing about it. Somehow, those wins felt like losses. The Chara-MaxPac incident was a good example of that.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:08 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Can't wait to see how MT reacts in those kind of games. I remember quite a few times where we were up by 2 or 3 goals against the Bruins and I was all pumped and then Julien starts rolling out his goon squad trying to injure our players and JM would do nothing about it. Somehow, those wins felt like losses. The Chara-MaxPac incident was a good example of that.
Montreal has one of the best cheapshot artists in the league in Colby Armstrong. Everyone in the league knows he's a cheapshot artist. I know that nobody likes to admit these sort of things but if Boston decided to goon it up in Montreal, you'll probably see Colby give Seguin or Krejci a tap on the neck with his stick. After that there'll be nothing for Boston to do because everything would be retaliation and the NHL cracks down hard on retaliation.

Maybe it isn't something that makes you feel warm and good inside but it's just as much of an effect as a goon would bring. It's physical intimidation. The Bruins are well aware of Colby's past.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:21 AM
bud12

lol at people here who think Chara is a good fighter
All the sabres fans are happy to have Scott after last night. Habs should bring a heavy and switch him with Armstrong again tough team

Old
02-01-2013, 10:22 AM
DenverHabsFan

The problem when playing the Bruins is more Chara than Lucic or Thornton. Chara constantly abuses players in front of the net with his stick and punches players after the whistle and never gets a penalty. If you watch most of his fights he often tries to pull the jersey over the guy's head and then throws punches. That's a lot of abuse over the course of a game and you need to send a message that it won't be tolerated. How many games we spend with an extra forward in the stands? Why can't we have a legit enforcer in the lineup for certain games?

Old
02-01-2013, 10:22 AM
FireBergevin
Wild & unwilling

Quote:
It's kind of funny seeing Hab fans freak about needing an enforcer and calling Boston a goon team. I remember when it was Montreal skating circles around Boston skill wise and guys like Steve Begin getting away with complete cheap shots on Marc Savard. Who avenged Savard for that anyway? Oh yeah, nobody. Boston ended up signing Steve Begin at one point even.

The only people who really care about this stuff are the fans. Hockey players care too much about who is getting the most publicity and not saying the word "team" the required amount of times.
If memory serves Begin got his during a preseason game the next season.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
The problem when playing the Bruins is more Chara than Lucic or Thornton. Chara constantly abuses players in front of the net with his stick and punches players after the whistle and never gets a penalty. If you watch most of his fights he often tries to pull the jersey over the guy's head and then throws punches. That's a lot of abuse over the course of a game and you need to send a message that it won't be tolerated. How many games we spend with an extra forward in the stands? Why can't we have a legit enforcer in the lineup for certain games?
If you have a guy like Scott, Chara won't fight him or will go for his patented "wrestling takedown" like he did vs Laraque so it won't affect the chippy stuff in front. I would do the same to the Bruins, having Thornton around has never stopped PK from abusing Marchand and Horton either with big hits or with the "lumber".

Old
02-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Habs

I don't think the new management will allow this team to get bullied. If its needed, they will get the tools for the job.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:07 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
lol at people here who think Chara is a good fighter
All the sabres fans are happy to have Scott after last night. Habs should bring a heavy and switch him with Armstrong again tough team
Scott doing that to Thornton in Boston wearing a Habs jersey would have been worth the contract alone.

Hoping he gets to tune up Chara next.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:17 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Scott doing that to Thornton in Boston wearing a Habs jersey would have been worth the contract alone.

Hoping he gets to tune up Chara next.
100% agree with you

Old
02-01-2013, 12:20 PM
haburger

way to go john scott!!that was a beatdown.thornton now out 7-10 days with a concussion.lucy and chara would never fight this guy.i thought it was a weak move at first for buf to sign scott,but its lookin smart now.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:21 PM
firewagon77*

Yes Cody Beach from the blues or trade yannick weber for theo peckham and Dane byers on the oilers farm team,byers has scored 20 goals in junior and the ahl he's not just a guy who scores 2 goals and plays 2 minutes.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
The Sabres answered my question for me- YES!!!!!!
John Scott destroying Thorton made Boston at home play like civilized *****cats. If that were Habs winning 6-4 at the end every tough Bruin would have been abusing our smurfs.
We can't count on 195 guys to punch out Mcquaid, Thorton, Lucic, or Chara.
Hey I'm just saying here, but Mcquaid is 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
There's PLENTY of fighters that can play the game to a certain level now.
No one is against a guy like that. It's the plugs that don't play hockey that we don't want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
I don't think you've seen Parros fight or play. I live out west and saw plenty of him. As for the fights, Hockeyfights seems to also disagree with you: http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/1859

As for the question asked by the OP, heavyweights who can also play hockey are few and far between and when a team finds one, they take care of him and try to keep him. I'm not in favour of having a guy who would hurt the team when on the ice, or being so intimidating that no one will want to drop the gloves with him (see Laraque).

Short and sweet: No, the Habs don't "need" a heavyweight enforcer unless one who can play falls on their laps or if they draft one.
I've seen enough of Parros. He's awesome and all with that mustach.. But he's just not the fighter people say he his. Neither the player. I love the mo tho.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:59 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Hey I'm just saying here, but Mcquaid is 195

No one is against a guy like that. It's the plugs that don't play hockey that we don't want.

I've seen enough of Parros. He's awesome and all with that mustach.. But he's just not the fighter people say he his. Neither the player. I love the mo tho.
Mcquaid is now at 6"5 and 209lbs

and nobody here are saying that Parros is a top 3 fighter in the league, its a ok HEAVYWEIGHT that can fight all the players in this league. oh, and Parros > Moen at fighting, don't kid yourself

Last edited by bud12: 02-01-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Beendair Donedat

I'd love to get a Chris Stewart type from St Louis. Can fight and score... Or as I've hyped for years a deal to acquire Ryane Clowe. Another guy that can drop them with anyone and score... And yes I'd look to acquire Stone Cold Steve MacIntyre. Keep him in the stands and let him play against the Bruins and other mayhem makers. He's your deterrent against the guys who want trouble.

Sign Clowe during the off season making him a priority. Promote Tinordi.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Bourque- Plekanec - Gionta
Clowe-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Moen - Prust - White

MacIntyre.

Clowe adopts the role Prust was playing as protector and brings a better offensive game while adding a guy that can and will take on heavies. The fourth line still has toughness, size and is responsible defensively.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:26 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
There's a lot of good young fighters that aren't that bad, like Toronto that just claimed Mclaren. The player to get imo was Brandon Maschinter who got traded from San Jose to NY.

The point isn't to have THE BEST fighter out there, it's just getting somebody that can do the job, for us to stand our ground, and to Whitesnake, that doesn't mean we're becoming Boston, it's just a winning formula when you're best players can play their game.

Anyways, we moved wayyy forward by getting Prust, he's made his presence felt since day 1 and it shows, a lot. Galchenyuk was happy to have him on his on his side at the end of last game I'm sure of it.
Its not that we are becoming Boston. Its that we need to become the Montreal Canadiens who would win Stanley Cups.

The last team to do that had Ewen, Odelein, Roberge, Keane, Stevenson.

The Bruins modeled their Stanley Cup winning team after the Cup winning Canadiens teams.

Closed Thread