HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When does Vokoun become the Pen's starter?

Old
01-31-2013, 10:17 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
This isn't a thread that was started by tonight's outcome though. I'm not ready to give up on Fleury yet either, but he's been pretty lackluster when it's mattered for a few seasons now.
I know what I meant was it's no surprise it's burning up the "charts" after this game. Upon further review though Fleury easily had a better game vs. Ottawa than Vokoun did tonight. In other words tonight's game doesn't justify the amount of talk.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:20 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
maf is not a star. It's kind of the point of the thread. He needs to start by learning from TV on how to control and see the puck at all times. I just want the best goaltender in net.
Yeah, because Fleury has always been just a huge minus to the Pens. Never accomplished anything in his career.

Quote:
No, it doesn't. One was full of technical flaws and the other was standing on his head just to keep the Pens in the game. If you would care to make assessments in any technical flaws that Vokoun displayed during those goals against, then I am willing to listen to them. Otherwise, I'm not interested.
Kind of my point. You can point to a lot of technical flaws with a lot of goalies in this league every night. I'd say both Hank and Brodeur had a lot of flaws in their games tonight. My point is the way the team in front of them played in those games. In Winnipeg, the Pens forgot they had a 2 goal lead and acted like they needed to score more when instead they just needed to play solid fundamental hockey. Against the Islanders, they just didn't show up until the last 2 minutes of the game when Dupuis, Crosby, and Kunitz just padded their stats.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:26 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Yeah, because Fleury has always been just a huge minus to the Pens. Never accomplished anything in his career.

You seem to be taking this criticism to heart, nobody's saying he's useless and should be dumped right away but if he doesn't start being consistent soon, other options are going to have to be looked at.

Malkinstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:40 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
You seem to be taking this criticism to heart, nobody's saying he's useless and should be dumped right away but if he doesn't start being consistent soon, other options are going to have to be looked at.
Yeah, that's not going to happen, nor should it.

It's a shame Kunitz didn't realize Giroux was his man in Philly and that the entire team had a brain fart on a change in Ottawa. Otherwise, Fleury has two shutouts on the season against two teams that can score a lot of goals.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:53 PM
Fire Shero*

It's not like Fleury has all of a sudden started to play poorly. He's been inconsistent over his entire career. I thought we just accepted the fact that he gives up one or two soft goals a game.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:21 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Yeah, that's not going to happen, nor should it.

It's a shame Kunitz didn't realize Giroux was his man in Philly and that the entire team had a brain fart on a change in Ottawa. Otherwise, Fleury has two shutouts on the season against two teams that can score a lot of goals.
So now its magically kunitz's fault? Its the goalies job to make up for the teams mistakes but he instead gives the other team more scoring chances with his rebounds and puckhandling. The only fact that you are riding is that fleury won a cup, which was what, 4 years ago? Niemi won a cup too but was let go, just because a player wins a cup doesnt mean you carry them around their entire career, consistent or not.

Malkinstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:28 PM
Lansdown

Outsider here, seen plenty of both goalies in their careers. Following Vokoun closely because I gambled on him in my fantasy team. Looks like I was right. Don't get sentimental, MAF is good, but TV is better. Vokoun is and will be your man.

Lansdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:34 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
It's not like Fleury has all of a sudden started to play poorly. He's been inconsistent over his entire career. I thought we just accepted the fact that he gives up one or two soft goals a game.
Not really.

Quote:
So now its magically kunitz's fault? Its the goalies job to make up for the teams mistakes but he instead gives the other team more scoring chances with his rebounds and puckhandling. The only fact that you are riding is that fleury won a cup, which was what, 4 years ago? Niemi won a cup too but was let go, just because a player wins a cup doesnt mean you carry them around their entire career, consistent or not.
Did you forget the Philly game already? Not surprising since you seem to look for every reason possible to bash Fleury. Kunitz should have had Giroux on that rush, but instead got memorized by Hartell when Martin had him already. Hockey 101. Other than that, Fleury was a wall in that game.

Yes, the goalie needs to be able to make big saves, which Fleury has done over his career. It's also the team's responsibility to not hang their goalie out to dry, which the Pens have done all too often in their three losses this season and in the last two playoff series.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:29 AM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
The funny thing is, his cup run wasn't really all that special. He was good in the finals, but up until that point, he was pretty much bailed out by Sid being in beast mode for the first two rounds and Geno turning it on against Carolina.

Fleury's only truly great playoff run was the year before in '08. A year in which he only played 35 games in the regular season. I don't think that's a coincidence. Other than that, his playoff performances have ranged from average to downright awful.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:07 AM
Gold Diamond
World Champ

Personally, I don't mind if both goalies get 24 games a piece. I'm totally comfortable with either MAF or TV in net.

Long story short - MAF isn't elite, but he is good. Same goes for TV.

Gold Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:47 AM
NastyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I know what I meant was it's no surprise it's burning up the "charts" after this game. Upon further review though Fleury easily had a better game vs. Ottawa than Vokoun did tonight. In other words tonight's game doesn't justify the amount of talk.
Fleury was one fart away from losing that game. People tend to forget that..

Vokoun was perfect tonight. Hard to top perfection.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:47 AM
Tellmeister

Quote:
Not really.
Actually that is how I see it to.

Yesterday when we were up 1-0 I belived we could win it without having to score more goals or letting it goo to OT/SO.

I can't remember when I had the same thought with MAF in goal.

Tellmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Fire Shero*

In just glad people no longer excuse his horrible play claiming he is still so young. The dude has played in over 500 games. You know what you are getting from him. He's not going to drastically improve. He a decent goalie, not horrible, but not anywhere elite or top 10.

There are 3 certainties in life: death taxes and maf allowing at least 1 soft goal a game.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:52 AM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
The funny thing is, his cup run wasn't really all that special. He was good in the finals, but up until that point, he was pretty much bailed out by Sid being in beast mode for the first two rounds and Geno turning it on against Carolina.

Fleury's only truly great playoff run was the year before in '08. A year in which he only played 35 games in the regular season. I don't think that's a coincidence. Other than that, his playoff performances have ranged from average to downright awful.
Let's not bring facts into this conversation.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:04 AM
SteelFish87*

i would split starts untill fleury hits his hot streak

hopefully he hits his hot streak come playoff time!

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:29 AM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
i would split starts untill fleury hits his hot streak

hopefully he hits his hot streak come playoff time!
If I'm coach, MAF doesn't step back onto the ice unless it's a shootout, or until the team's play has been "stabilized". My original post theory is still holding true and I wouldn't want to keep tugging the team's emotions up and down by swapping netminders.

They need to play in front of a goalie they have confidence in and string 3-4 wins together before MAF gets back in. MAF also needs to be sent a message. Pen's still need him, but they need him to play much better first.

You can't put a shaky goalie back in front of a shaky team. Resolve the team first, then have them help resolve MAF's confidence. Tommy V just showed all of us last night how much influence a goaltender can have on your team defense when he controls the puck. Rebounds have been everywhere in MAF's last 20 games. You could see the NYR starting to get frustrated every time TV caught the puck and killed their Ozone play. It has a great affect of forcing them to make more passes to get that perfect shot (decreasing SA).

Last edited by wgknestrick: 02-01-2013 at 08:44 AM.
wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Pancakes

I don't really need any games this season to tell me Vokoun is a better goalie than Fleury. He is and always has been. Stats bear that out pretty well.

The only reason he won't get the starting job is the Pens are paying Fleury a lot of money. It's a stupid way to run a team but that's how almost every professional team does it.

It's going to be annoying in the playoffs when Fleury is starting over Vokoun despite being a weaker goalie. It's going to be even more annoying if Fleury ***** the bed again and loses us a couple early playoff games, because even if the Pens then turn to Vokoun it's probably already too late if you're in an 0-2 hole or even 0-1 hole in a series.

All that being said, I don't hate Maf and he's an alright goalie. I just think TV is better.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Til the End of Time

i like fleury and to him to succeed. however the series against the flyers really soured me on him. i have little confidence in him.

i think right now vokoun is a better goalie. i hope fleury uses this as motivation to rediscover his game.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:01 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
i like fleury and to him to succeed. however the series against the flyers really soured me on him. i have little confidence in him.

i think right now vokoun is a better goalie. i hope fleury uses this as motivation to rediscover his game.
Fleury killed us in two series where we should have won IMO, vs Montreal and of course Philly. Hard to forgive him for that and even harder to trust him moving forward.

I'd have no problem if Vokoun took the reigns and MAF became trade bait for the winger solution or an impact defensemen. Would solve a few problems at the same time when you count getting rid of the flaky goalie....

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNick View Post
Fleury was one fart away from losing that game. People tend to forget that..

Vokoun was perfect tonight. Hard to top perfection.
Hard to forget his team had a fart on a change which lead to the only Ottawa goal....

Oh wait, for the Fleury bashers it's never hard to forget things.

Quote:
If I'm coach, MAF doesn't step back onto the ice unless it's a shootout, or until the team's play has been "stabilized". My original post theory is still holding true and I wouldn't want to keep tugging the team's emotions up and down by swapping netminders.
So the Penguins play poorly in front of Fleury because they have no confidence in him? Then how come except for a few mistakes in Philly and Ottawa did they look good? And also why did they lose to Winnipeg, you know, when Vokoun started?

Perhaps it is because right now this entire team has trouble playing the entire 60 minutes every game regardless of who's in net. I know that's a complex concept to understand, especially for those of us that like to make knee-jerk reactions.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:07 AM
NastyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Fleury killed us in two series where we should have won IMO, vs Montreal and of course Philly. Hard to forgive him for that and even harder to trust him moving forward.

I'd have no problem if Vokoun took the reigns and MAF became trade bait for the winger solution or an impact defensemen. Would solve a few problems at the same time when you count getting rid of the flaky goalie....
I agree, but there has to be a long-term solution for goalie too. Vokoun might have a year or two left in the tank. They might need to use Fleury to grab that future goaltender. Who out there would be that foolish? I don't know. But we got James Neal for Goligoski, so maybe someone.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Let's not bring facts into this conversation.
Yup, lets make up things about how the team doesn't want to play well in front of him.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNick View Post
I agree, but there has to be a long-term solution for goalie too. Vokoun might have a year or two left in the tank. They might need to use Fleury to grab that future goaltender. Who out there would be that foolish? I don't know. But we got James Neal for Goligoski, so maybe someone.
There is a long-term solution and current solution - Fleury. He's pretty good. Some of us only want to remember his bad games though, but that's not his problem, it's yours.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:19 AM
NastyNick

Quote:
There is a long-term solution and current solution - Fleury. He's pretty good. Some of us only want to remember his bad games though, but that's not his problem, it's yours.
His good games are few and far between. I just need to remember the last three playoff series hes been in

Old
02-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Lim Ran

vCash: 987
If Bylsma values his job, Vokoun just earned about four or five starts in a row.

Lim Ran is offline   Reply With Quote