HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Roboholic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
He was fired for a multitude of reasons, like these things usually are. It's his personality, record, possibly Luongo (timing), and more stuff we don't know about behind the scenes.

Anselmi cited the record as a factor in his firing on the McCowan show, but just one of many factors.
Sure there are all those things and they count but ultimately its was the personal stuff he had going on. If it fully came to light and was picked up by the media it would have been a gong show.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
See that isn't what i said, lol. What i said is while it may work for this season there is only ever one #1 and eventually one of them will want to be the one. Short term it is fine long term it could be a disaster. If one of them publically demands a trade and lets just say that part way through next season it is Schneider, then with only a year left on his deal he is less valueable. I am not debating his talent, i am pointing that teams will pay less, IMO, for only a season and a bit of guaranteed service. Some will argue and that's fine, but put yourself NOT in Gillis' shoes as the other GM, would you pay full price? Now Gillis is right to want to get the best deal can as this is not a slight at him either, i am just simply pointing out that the wheel will eventually fall off, IMO.

It will be a 1 and a 1A situation. That's all that really needs to be said. I mean you can try to handicap what could possibly happen given a myriad of situations, but I think it's pointless. Nothing has changed, no matter how much people want it to mean something.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:25 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
It will be a 1 and a 1A situation. That's all that really needs to be said. I mean you can try to handicap what could possibly happen given a myriad of situations, but I think it's pointless. Nothing has changed, no matter how much people want it to mean something.
3 consecutive starts (and potentially 4 depending on how the Hawks game goes) for one of the goalies is not a 1A/1A tandem.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboholic View Post
Sure there are all those things and they count but ultimately its was the personal stuff he had going on. If it fully came to light and was picked up by the media it would have been a gong show.

I wouldn't say one thing ultimately did him in though. This is big business, when decisions like this get made, it's due to a number of factors that make it the right move, not one particular factor. And besides, if it was just personal stuff, one would thing that if he had earned the benefit of the doubt in TOR that they would through that stuff with him. But he didn't earn that benefit.

If he was winning, it would be a pretty hard sell for them to go in and clean him out.

I also read somewhere that he tried to handicap the Luongo deal to ownership dependent on the changes he expected in the new CBA (influenced by him, likely the recapture formula), then when it came time to execute Gillis's stance never changed, so they saw this as a prime signal, amongst other things, that Burke was out of his depth. I can't remember where I saw this (if anyone has a link to this speculation it would be greatly appreciated).

Old
02-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
3 consecutive starts (and potentially 4 depending on how the Hawks game goes) for one of the goalies is not a 1A/1A tandem.
They've each had 3 consecutive starts.

Schneider vs Calgary, Anaheim, SJ.
Luongo vs LA, Colorado, and now Chicago

Old
02-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post

Sure it is because we can guess there is going to be balance as we move along. How do you know Schneider won't start 4 consecutive times, or more, during the season? If he does, what does that mean? This is why people getting up in arms about this are just wasting their time. The media working the fanbases hard in this.

As an aside: I heard on SNET that Kypreos thought that Luongo could realistically get bought out at the end of the year, with Maclean being the former GM refuting it right away, but Kipper still didn't get how out to lunch he was on that call. This is what people are hearing from "Hockey Experts". Highly amusing.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Sure it is because we can guess there is going to be balance as we move along. How do you know Schneider won't start 4 consecutive times, or more, during the season? If he does, what does that mean? This is why people getting up in arms about this are just wasting their time. The media working the fanbases hard in this.

As an aside: I heard on SNET that Kypreos thought that Luongo could realistically get bought out at the end of the year, with Maclean being the former GM refuting it right away, but Kipper still didn't get how out to lunch he was on that call. This is what people are hearing from "Hockey Experts". Highly amusing.
1 of these things is not like the other.....

Old
02-01-2013, 10:32 AM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
This is just my opinion, unless Schnieder has a collasal turn around (doubtful), then no matter what or when...Luongo is the guy who is out. I think Luongo has a major chip on his shoulder right now and is working very hard to show that he is still a bonified starter, which is a good thing. I also think he understands the future but is willing to take his run this year with Vancouver.
For the record I am not saying your opinion is wrong. I am just simply saying this Gillis wants what he sees as fair value for Lou, this I understand. So lets say they ride it out this season and Lou plays better then Cory as he has and is, then he gets the run of the starts right? So in turn they run with two goalies to make a cup run, this does make sense as injuries can happen. Now offseason comes and Gillis still doesn't find a trade to his liking, fine all say we will run again. Now if that happens and lou takes the ball and runs again, how long before Cory says F$^k this and requests a trade? I am saying that as soon as a public demand is made a players value usually goes down. And Schneider with a year and a bit has less value then he does now. I understand these are what ifs, but they are valid what ifs as Nucks fans have pointed out that they are happy to keep both. All i am simply saying is that if they do, eventually one of the co-#1's becomes unhappy. If it didn't work on a cup winning team like the Oilers lol, it ain't gonna keep working there.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
For the record I am not saying your opinion is wrong. I am just simply saying this Gillis wants what he sees as fair value for Lou, this I understand. So lets say they ride it out this season and Lou plays better then Cory as he has and is, then he gets the run of the starts right? So in turn they run with two goalies to make a cup run, this does make sense as injuries can happen. Now offseason comes and Gillis still doesn't find a trade to his liking, fine all say we will run again. Now if that happens and lou takes the ball and runs again, how long before Cory says F$^k this and requests a trade? I am saying that as soon as a public demand is made a players value usually goes down. And Schneider with a year and a bit has less value then he does now. I understand these are what ifs, but they are valid what ifs as Nucks fans have pointed out that they are happy to keep both. All i am simply saying is that if they do, eventually one of the co-#1's becomes unhappy. If it didn't work on a cup winning team like the Oilers lol, it ain't gonna keep working there.
Quite simply, Luongo HAS to go in the offseason....period. For cap reasons alone they have to deal him. If he is kept all year it will be because Gillis knows he isn't going to get his premium price. So the decision will be made to take the benefits of having Luongo for this year and then move him for the best offer in the offseason.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:35 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Nope. Lupul was JUST signed and Vancouver really isn't in a position to trade their #1 goalie.

There's really no deal to be made here anymore. Schneider has to win the job before they can trade Luongo. When you consider yourself a cup contender, there's just no way you can go to your coach and tell him, we just traded your #1 goalie.... but you're still expected to win the cup.
Schneider is 26 now, going on 27 in March. He has only started 60 career games. As a very serious question, at what point do you feel you negatively impact his growth potential?

Do you feel there is some point where you have to either jump in with both feet on Schneider or cut ties and get some good assets for him?

Old
02-01-2013, 10:37 AM
doorman

Quote:
Look, I am not trying to do anything more then state an opion, you don't have to like it, but it doesn't make you right and me wrong. I am simply stating 1A/1A doesn't work forever and it doesn't I never said Gillis should trade either for crap, did I? I simply stated that the longer your 1A/1A situation is around the better chance there is somebody becomes unhappy. If you choose to say i am fabricating this fine. This a thread of loungo and hypothetical situations, so there is nothing wrong with posting this one.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:41 AM
rune74

Quote:
1 of these things is not like the other.....
Too many brain injuries on that boy.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:42 AM
doorman

Quote:
Quite simply, Luongo HAS to go in the offseason....period. For cap reasons alone they have to deal him. If he is kept all year it will be because Gillis knows he isn't going to get his premium price. So the decision will be made to take the benefits of having Luongo for this year and then move him for the best offer in the offseason.
I understand what you are saying and i don't disagree with you. However it has been pointed out numerous times over these numerous threads gillis doesn't have to trade lou this season or next for that matter. Many have said they will find a way to get cap compliant. So i figured as there are those of us who have debated this with them and been told we were wrong, I would simply open a different debate. Like I said I am not saying i am right or wrong. I also don't blame Gillis for wanting a fair value for Lou. Like you I have said the leafs can't afford fair value. I am simply stating that eventually 1A/1A doesn't work, like the Highlander movies used to say"there can only be ONE", lol. Besides it was really just brought up to try and bring discussion.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
Too many brain injuries on that boy.
Guy has zero connections yet he KNOWS Luongo will get bought out (Joke) and he KNOWS Kessel wants out (even though they can't even talk contract extension until July 2013).

Old
02-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Look, I am not trying to do anything more then state an opion, you don't have to like it, but it doesn't make you right and me wrong. I am simply stating 1A/1A doesn't work forever and it doesn't I never said Gillis should trade either for crap, did I? I simply stated that the longer your 1A/1A situation is around the better chance there is somebody becomes unhappy. If you choose to say i am fabricating this fine. This a thread of loungo and hypothetical situations, so there is nothing wrong with posting this one.

Actually, if an opinion is reasoned with logic and another isn't, it does make the former right and the other "wrong" (or more inaccurate). You can have an opinion, cool. Doesn't mean there is any merit to it if conflicting information undermines the hypothesis...

I actually agree with your premise - the longer it goes on, the more chance there is something goes awry. However, it is well known that there is a finite timeline here. Luongo will, without a doubt, be moved in the offseason. Without a doubt.

There's a distinction I think you've failed to make in this thread. Some Canucks fans have stated that they _can_ retain Luongo going into the 2014-2015 season, and while technically true, its not a logical course of action. It's hyperbole to combat hyperbole. When other fanbases state that the Canucks cannot retain both goaltenders going into next season, technically, it isn't accurate. They can. However, they won't. All reason points to Luongo somehow, some way being moved this offseason at the very latest. That is the end point to this saga. So you have to filter information here from every angle, lest you start believing everything that is said, on either side.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:58 AM
daveleaf

What I don't understand is why trade him at all? That team has a three year window, after that it is re-tool. Kesler doesn't have 6-7 good years in him at this rate. If they traded Schneider they might get another top 6 forward and a top 4 d-man and maybe a prospect if not more. I just don't see teams lining up to take Lou's contract and on top of that, the misfortunes of the Vancouver Canucks are not to be blamed on Luongo.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:03 AM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

New thread is up.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1338939

Closed Thread