HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phil Kessel Discussion Thread. (no goals as of Feb 4, 2013)

View Poll Results: kessel goals, 15 over or under, this year
over 86 51.50%
under 81 48.50%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 10:09 AM
7even
Go on, do your duty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Didn't Jason Blake lead the NHL in shots at one point in Toronto too?
The two seem strikingly similar this year IMO.

I could care less if he ever scores again - were winning - without him
Oh god give it a rest dude.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:09 AM
calcal798

I'm not worried, eventually they'll start going in and hell go on a streak. Its how he is.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Christ

This is Kessel...he scores in bunches and has droughts between goals. He could score 10 goals in the next 4 games (well maybe not against the Bruins) and not score another goal for a month after...

Old
02-01-2013, 10:11 AM
JoeParez
Respect This Man

Kessel usually has a mid-season slump - which would happen around this time. It just so happens that the would-be mid season is the start of the shortened season.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:11 AM
bobbyflex

what`s the problem. we`re winning without Kessel right now. when he gets going it`ll be a bonus

Old
02-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
No goal in almost 10 months?

Too many donuts.
donuts are for kadri, cookies are for kessel.

02-01-2013, 10:13 AM
ULF_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
donuts are for kadri, cookies are for kessel.
Waffles are for Rotten Ronnie.

The New York Rangers are the most valuable NHL franchise at $1.2 billion, taking the top spot on the Forbes list for the first time since 2004.

The magazine said Tuesday that Montreal is second at $1.18 billion, followed by Toronto at $1.15 billion.
Old
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
what`s the problem. we`re winning without Kessel right now. when he gets going it`ll be a bonus
I don't think it's a problem but no one wants to see their main offensive weapon struggling offensively.

He'll score eventually. Shame he hasn't buried one yet because he has had so many great chances.

CanadasTeam
#standwitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
His quote I believe was, " In the end the team's winning and that's all that matter right? "

Not a team player my ass. Regardless his drive has been good, it'll only be a matter of time.
+1. You can even tell every teammate is pulling for him to get that 1st goal, lol

Not worried about Phil at all. Some posters panic a bit much --sit back and just chill.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
... and Craig Anderson has a 0.99 GAA, and Vanek scores 3 points a game, and Daniel Winnik is one of the top 3 goal scores in the game.
Loyola Catholic SS represent.

Anyway, I'm not worried. He played great last night. The goals will come.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:15 AM
The Podium

Even without a goal this has been some of the best hockey i have ever seen him play. Fires lit under his ass, draws away tough defensive competition to allow our depth to dominate. Hes contributing away from the score board like real leaders.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:23 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

As nonsensical as it, for some reason milestone goals seem harder to come by. (PK has 99 as a Leaf for those that don't know)

Old
02-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Even without a goal this has been some of the best hockey i have ever seen him play. Fires lit under his ass, draws away tough defensive competition to allow our depth to dominate. Hes contributing away from the score board like real leaders.
That's all nice, but he's paid to score goals. Those qualities you mention above can be provided by less costly players.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Wilma

Quote:
Got to agree with this.

As mentioned earlier, I'd be extremely happy if his break-out game was against the B's.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Leafski

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
I'm sure I saw Kessel throw a hit last night and he was going into the dirty areas after the puck. Overall I'd say he's playing pretty well and he may not be scoring but he's creating chances for the rest of the team.
Yeah, was at the game yesterday, and you could tell he's getting more and more frustrated. Hell, like you said, he even got his first 3 hits of the season last game.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:25 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
Yeah,and smiling through this cold stretch shows the stresses are not there. A good kid having fun because Carlyle told him no more throwing water bottles/other teams shouldn't be seeing that. Its relaxed him,and his passing is friggin crisp/defensive game is best ever.

All good,he'll score soon enough.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Hockey Crazy

Last night was one of the best games that I have ever seen Kessel play. He got absolutely robbed on the glove save at the end of the game and the two on one in the first. He easily could have had 3G 1A, but he is very unlucky last night. The whole team played well, but he was still our best player on the ice. There is absolutely nothing wrong with him aside from luck.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:26 AM
The Podium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
That's all nice, but he's paid to score goals. Those qualities you mention above can be provided by less costly players.
How exactly? If Kessels replaced by a subpar scorer whos good defensively then the Suters and Charas around the league cover the Grabo line rendering it essentially useless. That would result in the Kadri's line being the only one available to score. However, the Charas cover Kessel, Grabovski and Kulemin have easier defensive competition, Kadri has even easier competition. I dont think you realize the benefit of having an offensive threat distract the competition defensively.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:28 AM
questhockey

Kessels playmaking skills this year are through the roof good. His 2 way play is best it has ever been. Actually league wide, I would consider him having good 2 way play this year, and that's saying something. Yes he's still shy's away from phusical, yes, he still stays on too long sometimes, but he is backchecking.
From what I've seen in the 4 games i've watched, he has made some very important takeaways at crucial times.
I would be worried, if he weren't getting chances, but he's getting lots, and like last night, he's just getting robbed.
Even Carlyle said he was very happy with his play (that is high praise IMO)

Old
02-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

He's been good.

Don't believe me? Go look at the game in sixes on the Leafs site ... He's all over them. Just can't score

They'll go in eventually

Old
02-01-2013, 10:33 AM
DaveT83*

Quote:
How exactly? If Kessels replaced by a subpar scorer whos good defensively then the Suters and Charas around the league cover the Grabo line rendering it essentially useless. That would result in the Kadri's line being the only one available to score. However, the Charas cover Kessel, Grabovski and Kulemin have easier defensive competition, Kadri has even easier competition. I dont think you realize the benefit of having an offensive threat distract the competition defensively.

I think you all are really starting to reach and its quite sad "Oh Phil's getting so many shots its great" "Oh I saw Phil go in the corner once."

Are the expectations so low that Phil Kessel can do what 99.9% of NHL players are required to do and its considered a monumental victory?

Like Burke - get him on the next plane out of here. not scoring is just putting salt on the Sequin/Hamilton wound.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Didn't Jason Blake lead the NHL in shots at one point in Toronto too?
The two seem strikingly similar this year IMO.

I could care less if he ever scores again - were winning - without him
No, Jason Blake never led the league in shots while he was in Toronto. If you'll remember back a few years, that was when Ovechkin was taking like 500 shots a season. When Jason Blake came to Toronto, he was around 34 years old. Phil Kessel is currently 25 in his fourth season in Toronto. Jason Blake scored over 30 goals (40) once in his life, the season before coming to Toronto. He was 33 years old at that time. Phil Kessel is 25 (as mentioned above) and is coming off his fourth straight 30 goal season. But I mean, they're both American? That's about how far the comparison goes.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:35 AM
CanadasTeam
#standwitness

Quote:
Hope you're not overly surprised some posters here have a difficult time understanding the game and can't look at the big picture.

That's why most times I just take a deep breath and on to the next thread, lol

Old
02-01-2013, 10:36 AM
TheProspector

JVR doesn't have 4G in 7GP if Kessel isn't playing like an all-star.

The goal he scored yesterday was off Kessel's low shot, which was basically a pass - he shot that to generate a rebound.

There is nothing wrong with Phil's game right now, and a whole lot of things right. He's playmaking, drawing 2, 3 defenders away from his linemates, and was both first on the forecheck and backcheck multiple times last game. He's also working the best corner and board games of his career.

This team probably got more out of Phil Kessel not scoring than they would if had not done those things and potted 4 by now.

I really don't think the Stevie Y analogue is all that wrong. Phil Kessel has the mental and physical tools to take himself to the next level. He's already an all-star, but he could turn himself into generational player.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
... and Craig Anderson has a 0.99 GAA, and Vanek scores 3 points a game, and Daniel Winnik is one of the top 3 goal scores in the game.
This.

It's been less than 2 weeks into a lockout shortened season. Everything is out of whack.

Closed Thread