Boston Bruins v. Buffalo Sabres - 1/31/13 - Part III

Old
02-01-2013, 10:02 AM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Starting to wonder if what we see is what we've got with Seguin. Will hit 30 goals fairly easily each season, and maybe the occasional 40 goal season, but he's not going to be that true-game breaking superstar that some have pegged him to be.

Hope I am wrong, and yes, could be premature given he just turned 21, but I'm starting to wonder a bit.
33 million waiting for him too .... You wonder what that does to certain athlete's drive to be great.

Seguin will be fine IMO. He was much more aggressive towards the end of last year, so there is hope.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:08 AM
MioneRask134

All I know is Mike Brown and Orr are waiting for us. I expect a physical match with the Leafs. Do not fight them if you don't have to. Don't stage it. If you wanna go for it, do it. Beat them down mentality, and physicially. Its what we need from last nights loss.

Even though I don't want it to happen, I really would like to see Looch take on Orr again, just to see how he's progressed as a fighter. But then again, with Thorty being injured, better not risk it.

MioneRask134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
All I know is Mike Brown and Orr are waiting for us. I expect a physical match with the Leafs. Do not fight them if you don't have to. Don't stage it. If you wanna go for it, do it. Beat them down mentality, and physicially. Its what we need from last nights loss.

Even though I don't want it to happen, I really would like to see Looch take on Orr again, just to see how he's progressed as a fighter. But then again, with Thorty being injured, better not risk it.
Mike Brown is injured and Orr has the flu. Frazer McLaren will be waiting though.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:16 AM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
33 million waiting for him too .... You wonder what that does to certain athlete's drive to be great.

Seguin will be fine IMO. He was much more aggressive towards the end of last year, so there is hope.
All I can do is wonder, cuz I'll never even dream of a mountain of cash half that size I see what you're saying though. Seguin has guaranteed financial security for his life, already has a cup, and he just turned 21...I know what I would be doing if I was filthy rich, a world champion, single, and just turning 21, and it sure as hell wouldn't be worrying about my play on the ice.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:16 AM
TCL40

I hate staged fights. I admit in the course of play I enjoy a fight that develops because of cheap play.

I hope on Saturday the Bruins will focus on winning and let Orr et al chase them around.

A win on Saturday is important because I don't want the team to hit a funk. They need to play hockey not look for fights or watch their best players march to the penalty box.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:20 AM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
I hate staged fights. I admit in the course of play I enjoy a fight that develops because of cheap play.

I hope on Saturday the Bruins will focus on winning and let Orr et al chase them around.

A win on Saturday is important because I don't want the team to hit a funk. They need to play hockey not look for fights or watch their best players march to the penalty box.
I much prefer the fights that come up organically was, but a well timed staged fight is just fine too. Dead crowd, quick momentum swings at home, players not responding to shouting on the bench, etc.

Thornton's fight last night was fine. The crowd wasn't really into it yet, but there was that little bit of tension in the air still since it was Buffalo in town. I'm sure he knew he wasn't going to be the clear victor, but if he hung in there it could very well have pumped up both the Bruins and the fans.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:21 AM
DoubleAAAA

I get a chuckle at the thought that because of John Scott this team is now concerned about Colton frickin Orr running amok on them. Thornton got beat by a mutant, it really didn't have an impact on the game, a brutal penalty to put the team on a 5 on 3 swung the momentum. The only difference is the Sabres have slightly more of a spine this year, still aren't any tougher than the Rags or Flyers or Sens etc.

DoubleAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
I get a chuckle at the thought that because of John Scott this team is now concerned about Colton frickin Orr running amok on them. Thornton got beat by a mutant, it really didn't have an impact on the game, a brutal penalty to put the team on a 5 on 3 swung the momentum. The only difference is the Sabres have slightly more of a spine this year, still aren't any tougher than the Rags or Flyers or Sens etc.
True. Sometimes I get a laugh at the thought of the head-scratching some HF comments would prompt in the Bruins' locker room.

I think Julien summed it up perfectly when he said the Bruins were brain-dead. Their usual game is one of tight, responsible defense, and that includes everyone, forwards and defensemen. They were running around like the proverbial chickens with their heads cut off most of the game, with predictable results. Learn a lesson from it and move on.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:32 AM
BergyDGD
Hockey season yet?

Shawn Thornton out 7-10 days, I guess it must not be too serious of a concussion (not trying to downplay any concussion).

BergyDGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin4TheWin View Post
Shawn Thornton out 7-10 days, I guess it must not be too serious of a concussion (not trying to downplay any concussion).
That's just the minimal rest period after a concussion. It could end up being more, and don't expect him to fight.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:36 AM
BergyDGD
Hockey season yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
That's just the minimal rest period after a concussion. It could end up being more, and don't expect him to fight.
could be longer of course, better than hearing out indefinitely though.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:39 AM
BergyDGD
Hockey season yet?

Good to see KPD already using this Thornton fight in his crusade to ban fighting in hockey. God I can't stand him.

Kevin Paul Dupont ‏@GlobeKPD
Fighting needs to be banned. First step toward lowering seek-and-destroy violence level in New NHL era. Easiest place to start.

edit: sorry if I'm posting things in the wrong thread, it's just we got the "writing on the wall" Shawn Thornton thread, "Shawn Thornton Appreciation Thread", and "Post Game Talk" so not sure what belongs where haha.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Good to see KPD already using this Thornton in his crusade to ban fighting in hockey. God I can't stand him.

Fighting needs to be banned. First step toward lowering seek-and-destroy violence level in New NHL era. Easiest place to start.
Time for KPD to retire.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Good to see KPD already using this Thornton fight in his crusade to ban fighting in hockey. God I can't stand him.

To KPD with love

Old
02-01-2013, 10:42 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
But the only reason the fans are showing concern is that the guy whom we expect to go with Scott or Orr is injured. Now its going to be someone you don't necessarily want to lose in the exchange (not a slight on Thornton here). If Lane MacDermid was the guy, I wouldn't be so concerned.

And its not that fighting is all there is to it. But if you have a "mutant" who will take liberties and you won't do anything about it...that's bad for a lot of reasons.

EDIT - OK, its not the only reason fans are grumbling. I should have said that better.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:45 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:

Not saying it hasn't happened before because I'm sure it has, but this is the first time that I can at least remember a guy being concussed from a fight.

In a way, fighting might actually decrease concussions. The way it is now, you have fewer guys trying to get retribution/take out their frustrations by a stick/elbow/etc. to the head.

The big shots to the head via hits are really the most damaging, and the NHL has taken steps to getting that type of contact out of the game.

Go away, KPD.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Shaun
beauty

Quote:

edit: sorry if I'm posting things in the wrong thread, it's just we got the "writing on the wall" Shawn Thornton thread, "Shawn Thornton Appreciation Thread", and "Post Game Talk" so not sure what belongs where haha.
Time to take KPD behind the Garden and put him down.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:47 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
Not saying it hasn't happened before because I'm sure it has, but this is the first time that I can at least remember a guy being concussed from a fight.

In a way, fighting might actually decrease concussions. The way it is now, you have fewer guys trying to get retribution/take out their frustrations by a stick/elbow/etc. to the head.

The big shots to the head via hits are really the most damaging, and the NHL has taken steps to getting that type of contact out of the game.

Go away, KPD.
Adam Deadmarsh is the last guy I remember. And he was never the same.

doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Time for KPD to retire.
But who will write Hey you kids get off my lawn every day?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
But who will write Hey you kids get off my lawn every day?
I don't really care lol

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Lobster57

Pathetic D-zone play and a complete lack of a power play lost this game. The first is, hopefully an abberation, the defensive system is the true identity of this team. If they lose that they are sunk.

The second bothers me to no end. Can't believe heads haven't rolled over it.

But the D play will get back on track and the wins will keep piling up

Lobster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:08 AM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
But the only reason the fans are showing concern is that the guy whom we expect to go with Scott or Orr is injured. Now its going to be someone you don't necessarily want to lose in the exchange (not a slight on Thornton here). If Lane MacDermid was the guy, I wouldn't be so concerned.

And its not that fighting is all there is to it. But if you have a "mutant" who will take liberties and you won't do anything about it...that's bad for a lot of reasons.

EDIT - OK, its not the only reason fans are grumbling. I should have said that better.
MacDermid is still there to fill Thornton's role, and guys like Scott and Orr aren't on the ice often enough to take substantial liberties. It's really a non-issue IMO.

DoubleAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:20 AM
BergyWho37

I'm I the only one that seen Hamilton take an elbow last night ?? looked to me as a head shot

OF coarse know one calls out Ference either

BergyWho37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:27 AM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

Sheesh. I`m glad I went home after the 2nd, when it was 3 - 2 Bruins. If I`d stuck around for the 3rd I might still be drunk now...

All that being said, every team lays a stink-bomb now and then.

Too bad about Sugar, though. Even though his gloves were off, he sure didn`t look ready for the onslaught. We`ll have to see how all that develops; heck, even Komisarek took a second shot at Milan after a while.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:28 AM
bobbyorr04
Bruins fan 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
Still annoyed with Seguin. Just terrible.
Have patience. Remember that Seguin just turned 21 yesterday...he's just a kid.

bobbyorr04 is offline   Reply With Quote