Notices

Possible Trade Ideas v6

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 10:26 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

vCash: 500
Pens fan coming in peace. Despres had an amazing game yesterday night in NY, scoring a goal and 1 assist, and playing well defensively. He's currently replacing Niskanen until he comes back from injury (2-4 weeks). I don't see the Pens trading him until Niskanen's return. If Despres continues to play like yesterday, I don't see the Pens shipping him unless they get something better than Seto. I'm not trying to downplay Seto. I really like Seto and have always been a strong supporter since he was with SJS. I just don't see Shero giving him away if he continues to play consisitently at the same level as yesterday ngith especially since a guy like Seto is struggling.

Just to give you an idea, the Pen's offense has been struggling of late and with the little amount of minutes Despres has been given, he's already produced better offensive numbers than Seto (in less games to boot).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=6999

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=4990

I do see a Niskanen for Seto swap being a better fit cap-wise, age-wise, both righthanded at their positions, in terms of when they're scheduled to become UFAs...

Old
02-01-2013, 10:31 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I do see a Niskanen for Seto swap being a better fit cap-wise, age-wise, both righthanded at their positions, in terms of when they're scheduled to become UFAs...
....and he's a Minnesotan!!! We can never have too many of them on the roster!

Old
02-01-2013, 10:38 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
....and he's a Minnesotan!!! We can never have too many of them on the roster!
LOL, forgot that one. The only issue is that it won't bring down the contract limit for the Wild unless they add somebody with Seto. Not saying that it would balance the trade but just free up a spot for Zucker.

I recall the Wild having too many D... (like the pens, sadly).

Old
02-01-2013, 10:39 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
LOL, forgot that one. The only issue is that it won't bring down the contract limit for the Wild unless they add somebody with Seto. Not saying that it would balance the trade but just free up a spot for Zucker.

I recall the Wild having too many D... (like the pens, sadly).
I'm thinking that if the Wild traded Setoguchi, they would probably be looking more for draft picks than taking on another contract.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:09 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Pens fan coming in peace. Despres had an amazing game yesterday night in NY, scoring a goal and 1 assist, and playing well defensively. He's currently replacing Niskanen until he comes back from injury (2-4 weeks). I don't see the Pens trading him until Niskanen's return. If Despres continues to play like yesterday, I don't see the Pens shipping him unless they get something better than Seto. I'm not trying to downplay Seto. I really like Seto and have always been a strong supporter since he was with SJS. I just don't see Shero giving him away if he continues to play consisitently at the same level as yesterday ngith especially since a guy like Seto is struggling.

Just to give you an idea, the Pen's offense has been struggling of late and with the little amount of minutes Despres has been given, he's already produced better offensive numbers than Seto (in less games to boot).

Ok, how about Scandella & Seto for Despres and ideally a 2nd, but probably a third.

That would still give you a prospect with upside on d, and fill in your top top 6. I personally think Seto could realistically reach 30 in a normal year with Crosby.

We would fill our need for an edgy d prosepct and can fill Seto's spot from within. You guys will not completely lose out on a decent d prospect, albeit one with somewhat less upside, and will get a legit top 6 wing.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
Ok, how about Scandella & Seto for Despres and ideally a 2nd, but probably a third.

That would still give you a prospect with upside on d, and fill in your top top 6. I personally think Seto could realistically reach 30 in a normal year with Crosby.

We would fill our need for an edgy d prosepct and can fill Seto's spot from within. You guys will not completely lose out on a decent d prospect, albeit one with somewhat less upside, and will get a legit top 6 wing.
Trading Scandella for Despres seems redundant.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:11 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Despres has top 4 potential and brings a consistent edge to his game.

Scandella, can have an edge at times, but his play overall is inconsistent. At best he could make a consistent 5-6 d pairing, in my opinion that is.

I am just becoming a little tired of of us always looking to the future with Scandella, and maybe a change of scernery could help him. Or do Falk instead of Scandella, just a lower pairing young d.

I have nothing against Seto, but I really would like to see one of the top prospects in Houston given a shot, and we need to open a spot up, and it will likely be in the top 6. Cullen probably is going nowhere.

I also really like Despres. I think he is going to turn into a great d and would balance out the d we have well. I think with him our top 4 would be truly legit in the coming years.

Seto and Scandella, both decent and could do more, but I do not view either of them as making that much of a difference for us.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm feeling less and less of a need to trade for a top four defenseman.

Suter
Brodin
Gilbert
Spurgeon

Scandy
Falk
Stoner
Prosser

I would like to trade Seto for maybe a bigger forward who can make some room for his linemates, or a nice draft pick and call up Coyle.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think Scandy's right on track.

He should never have been called up and playing so many NHL games the last two years. Should have been in Houston pretty much the whole time. I'd like to see him stay down in Houston, get top minutes, and then get a 1-2 year contract and try to make the team out of camp next year.

This "he could be a #2 defenseman" and then call up, send down, injury, call up, send down, injury business is bunk. Let him play 25 minutes a night in Houston and then he can come up next year. He's only 22 (turning 23 soon).

Old
02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

Suter
Brodin
Gilbert
Spurgeon

Scandy
Falk
Stoner
Prosser

I would like to trade Seto for maybe a bigger forward who can make some room for his linemates, or a nice draft pick and call up Coyle.
Dumba could possibly slide into a Top 4 role next year, as I don't see him playing another year in Juniors and since he won't be eligible to play in Houston......Minnesota seems to be the logical destination.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:38 PM
nickschultzfan

Offensive forwards for the 2nd line are my main trade focus right now. I was comfortable with our blueline before the season and I'm even more comfortable now with Brodin stepping into the NHL, Stoner and Falk playing well, and Scandella coming back from injury.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:27 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Yeah... If we could trade Setoguchi + Mitchell for a bulky and skilled C for the second line, I'd be happy.

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
Granlund - ?? - Bouchard
Clutterbuck - Cullen - Brodziak
Powe - Konopka - Kassian/Veilleux

Edit: Getzlaf. Nuf said. lawlz.

Edit#2: Wait, are there any former Badgers that fit that bill? Big, skilled Center?

Old
02-01-2013, 02:42 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

With the way Brodin has stepped in, I am definately less concerned about our blue line than I was at the start of hte season. Once Spurg gets back, our top 4 will be pretty respectable.

I have been trying to figure out a solution to our second line, because right now....ug...

I really don't think Granlund is ready for the C role, and who knows, maybe he will just make a better winger in the nhl.

Ideally I would have Granlund moved to wing, and for us to have a big, mean, and skilled C(Getzlaf...oooh yeah....). The other wing, ideally, would be someone who could go to the net better than Butch, even though I really like Butch... Two perimeter players is not a good balance for the second line.

Anyways, we're trying to balance our team better, so those are my thoughts. If anyone has any players in mind that could be realistic, I would love to hear your thoughts.

At the very least we all seem to agree that the second line kind of sucks and could use a tuneup.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Wait, are there any former Badgers that fit that bill? Big, skilled Center?
Not exactly big, but Derek Stepan, Joe Pavelski???

Old
02-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:

He should never have been called up and playing so many NHL games the last two years. Should have been in Houston pretty much the whole time. I'd like to see him stay down in Houston, get top minutes, and then get a 1-2 year contract and try to make the team out of camp next year.

This "he could be a #2 defenseman" and then call up, send down, injury, call up, send down, injury business is bunk. Let him play 25 minutes a night in Houston and then he can come up next year. He's only 22 (turning 23 soon).
I agree with this. I am not down on Scandella as much as some. He had his growth spurt right before the draft. He is one of those guys that, historically, has been a late bloomer. He has been inconsistent but I still think he has the tools to be a good top 4 guy. He played real well with Brodin (well, everyone probably plays better, but he was a PPG, awesome defensively) and has shown some top 4 abilities in games with the Wild.

With that said, I have not seen enough of Despres to have an informed opinion on the value from the Wild's perspective.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:47 PM
saywut

Quote:

With Brodin prefering to play the right side Niskanen doesn't really make as much sense as Despres because our weakness is at LD. People can act like it doesn't make a difference but it does. Unless of course Niskanen is an extremely rare case of a right-handed d-man who prefers the left but I'm not sure theres many of those in pro hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
It wouldn't make sense IMO, but its not really redundant. They offer different skill-sets.

Quote:

Suter
Brodin
Gilbert
Spurgeon

Scandy
Falk
Stoner
Prosser

The 2nd line did look a little better against Chicago. An issue with trying to trade Setoguchi for an upgrade is most teams that would "sell" would rather have an asset with some years of control, Seto's a UFA after next season. And he's showing that he's a 2/3 liner and not the potential consistent 30-goal scorer some may thought he was after his first couple years in the league. I also don't see Yeo getting behind putting 2 rookies on his 2nd line, though Granlund could be playing his way into a demotion.

Quote:

Scandella probably should've played all of last year in the NHL, just he was forced into too large a role and when he started to struggle he lost confidence. He was solid down the stretch last year though, and with our LD being weak he should be in the top-4 when we're healthy and don't have to keep Stoner away from Falk because only one of them will be in the line-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Offensive forwards for the 2nd line are my main trade focus right now. I was comfortable with our blueline before the season and I'm even more comfortable now with Brodin stepping into the NHL, Stoner and Falk playing well, and Scandella coming back from injury.
I wasn't too concerned with our defense because Scandella-Gilbert was shutting opponents down at the end of last year and Spurgeon was our best d-man last year. Add Suter to that and it was a respectable top-4. Now with Brodin playing well its even deeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
With the way Brodin has stepped in, I am definately less concerned about our blue line than I was at the start of hte season. Once Spurg gets back, our top 4 will be pretty respectable.

I have been trying to figure out a solution to our second line, because right now....ug...

I really don't think Granlund is ready for the C role, and who knows, maybe he will just make a better winger in the nhl.

Ideally I would have Granlund moved to wing, and for us to have a big, mean, and skilled C(Getzlaf...oooh yeah....). The other wing, ideally, would be someone who could go to the net better than Butch, even though I really like Butch... Two perimeter players is not a good balance for the second line.

Anyways, we're trying to balance our team better, so those are my thoughts. If anyone has any players in mind that could be realistic, I would love to hear your thoughts.

At the very least we all seem to agree that the second line kind of sucks and could use a tuneup.
I wouldn't want to give up the assets required to land Getzlaf, and don't see us being able to give him a long-term contract after this season. So he'd be a rental costing 2-3 high-end assets assuming Anaheim was willing to move him. Not interested.

The issue with any trade right now is everyone knows its a 48 game season and no one's quitting yet. Hard to make deals when no one's selling. Even harder when you're looking to upgrade from an unimpressive, underperforming forward for a better one.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:12 PM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post

With that said, I have not seen enough of Despres to have an informed opinion on the value from the Wild's perspective.
I was Despres' defensive partner on NHL12 Be A Pro, we finished 1-2 in the Q in scoring among D's

Old
02-02-2013, 08:38 AM
THEALLKNOWING*

Quote:

Suter
Brodin
Gilbert
Spurgeon

Scandy
Falk
Stoner
Prosser

I am not certain Spurgeon is even top-four anymore. I don't think the brain-dead coaching staff will break-up Suter/Brodin, which is much better than Suter/Spurgeon. Gilbert has done well with either Scandella or Stoner. That leaves the 3rd pairing. Might do okay with Falk, who I think has had a relatively decent season.

The Wild can't count on Spurgeon long-term, he's just too small, which makes him prone to injuries. Recall he was out last year, concussed at one point, perhaps there were others. This year during the lockout, while over in Europe, he was injured. Now the foot. Dumba will be an upgrade over Spurgeon.

Heatley can be sent packing anytime, he just floats around, doing nothing to help MK or ZP. He has one of the types of games I would call, its all about him. He's not going to be around long with this team, and somebody wants him for something decent in return, I say see-yah. Stick Cal C in his spot on the power play. While limited hands-wise, at least they could park him in front of the net and create havoc, with Tomas Holstrom's play being his role model.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Needles

Go after this guy in the summer:

I'd be very surprised if he want's to re-sign with the Leafs. He's from Madison just like Suter and played for the Gophers.

Clutterbuck - Parise - Kessel
Granlund - Koivu - Heatley

Old
02-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Dampland

vCash: 528
Quote:
Dumba could possibly slide into a Top 4 role next year, as I don't see him playing another year in Juniors and since he won't be eligible to play in Houston......Minnesota seems to be the logical destination.
Not a chance on DUmba ..... unless Dumba suddenly gets some hockey sense this season in the WHL, otherwise his "hard hitting" tactics will only take him so far, if he doesn't learn to play smarter. Frankly, from what I've seen from him this year, he is 3 seasons away from even sniffing at the top 4 pairing, and that to me even seems a stretch.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Dampland

I rank Scandella as much more valuable to the Wild, than Spurgeon. Scandy just needs more game experience. I'm not saying Spurgie sucks, but he is just to little, and nearly every goal scored on him is because he is outmuscled in front of the net. ( or because Suter f***ed up again)

Old
02-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitogor View Post
I was Despres' defensive partner on NHL12 Be A Pro, we finished 1-2 in the Q in scoring among D's
I'm sold!

Old
02-02-2013, 01:43 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
Not a chance on DUmba ..... unless Dumba suddenly gets some hockey sense this season in the WHL, otherwise his "hard hitting" tactics will only take him so far, if he doesn't learn to play smarter. Frankly, from what I've seen from him this year, he is 3 seasons away from even sniffing at the top 4 pairing, and that to me even seems a stretch.
You better hope your evaluation of Dumba is better than what you thought of Brodin.....

Seriously though, Dumba never would have been drafted as high as he was if Flahr and Fletcher didn't think he had any hockey sense. So that's a bogus argument.

Another season of Juniors would do nothing for a player of his talents....it would be a complete waste of his time. He will be on the Wilds roster next season and you can bank on it.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:54 PM
THEALLKNOWING*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
I rank Scandella as much more valuable to the Wild, than Spurgeon. Scandy just needs more game experience. I'm not saying Spurgie sucks, but he is just to little, and nearly every goal scored on him is because he is outmuscled in front of the net. ( or because Suter f***ed up again)
Agreed, and other ones scored when he is on the ice are because he is easily rubbed-off the puck along the boards. Okay while the Wild is in the fill-spots mode, but long-term, no. Players around the league are just going to get bigger and stronger. Plenty of great forwards in the juniors/minors that don't make the NHL due to being small, why should he be any different. Martin St Louis good, for his position Spurgeon is not. 3rd pairing at best.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Dampland

Quote:
You better hope your evaluation of Dumba is better than what you thought of Brodin.....

True True

But I've watched ALOT more Dumba footage, than I ever did of Brodin (and for the record I wasn't really Anti-Brodin, I was more just pissed they didn't grab a scoring forward with the pick.)

Dumba - all I've seen from him is a guy who goes outof his way to make big hits, and often takes him self out of position to do so. His passing/ puck handling seems only average.

Everyone keeps talking about how Dumba is ready to just step into the NHL now and be a top 4 player. I just don't see it at all. I think 3 years from now Dumba will be lucky to be in the top 2 d-man pairings. But, if he can spend a few years in the AHL, maybe he will learn and improve.

But at this point from what I've seen of Dumba, I will make the following"bet"

If Dumba plays regular 1st or 2nd pairing minutes next season for the Wild, I will change my avatar for the following season to a "I love Burrows/Sedins/Subban" avatar.

Or better yet, to a "Dumba is my hero" avatar.

(for those of you who always need to shove then past in people's faces, feel free to bookmark this)

Closed Thread