HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Non-Ownership Thread: Who Cares Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 10:13 AM
cobra427

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasontixholder View Post
The NHL will never discount the price of the team. Why would they? They have 2, possibly 3 cities interested in taking the team for the asking price plus a relocation fee.
I wouldn't say never sell for less, because Phoenix is a large market that is still growing. The NHL is looking down the road 5 or 10 years and with good ownership, hockey would work in this market. The other locations when they are ready, will pay a hefty expansion fee. I do think the NHL saw this likely not closing by 1-31-13 with the front loaded schedule and all the ticket deals going on this year. We will see what happens, but the best deal is always cut at the last minute, still some hope, in my opinion....

Old
02-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
At least it is out there that Jamison had the investors but it was "the wrong kind" of investors. Be interesting to see if that story comes out.

"@cmorgancbsfoxaz: Expect a statement from the NHL regarding the #Coyotes sale around 10 am. AZ time. After that Glendale and the club will have statements."

Old
02-01-2013, 10:17 AM
pfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Oh, you want me to overpay for the team and get no subsidy, er management fees, from the city. Suuuure, no problem.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:18 AM
pfp

Next well see some story that the team will be on the TV show Shark Tank: "We are seeking a $170 Million investment for 100% our company"

Old
02-01-2013, 10:19 AM
seasontixholder

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post
After watching and reading this mess I have one conclusion. Call me a tinfoil hat nut or whatever.
Up until the time GJ came into the picture, I really believe the league wanted the team to stay. When GJ came on the scene, that all changed. Since then the focus has been to strictly minimize losses while buying time until another city is ready.

The first step occurred when the league found a friendly old guy to pretend he was looking to buy.
The next step was to come to town with friendly old man on the eve of the playoffs to announce that friendly old man really was a real person. Looking back, that's all GB said really. The purpose was two-fold:
1. Give hope to STH to get them to renew. (This one worked like a charm on me)
2. Get non-STHs to buy playoff priced seats.

The lock-out was a blessing. Now the league didnt have to pay salaries during a time period when attendance is historically low.

Then came the council meeting. They trotted out friendly old man but the city threw a wrench with deadline.
New plan was to send friendly old man to a game to keep up appearances and wait till week before deadline and then flood the media with conflcting information to put fans in hopeful mood while still not appearing to be lying about the plan to relocate.
The final step is to float "mystery" buyer to keep casual fans buying tickets through the front loaded home games. The only thing to do now is wait for the quick cut and run.

I just wish the media would step up and smack the casual fans in the head and encourage them to stay away. They have my money already but I have none of the nostalgic "I'll just enjoy what games I have left" that many have here. Could be because I never gave up my ties to my original team. Or it's because I'm just a miserable SOB that hates feeling like I've been played.
This is my thoughts exactly. Jamison was an NHL stooge. This is starting to look like the Atlanta situation now. They mystery buyer that doesn't exist and the team is moved.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:30 AM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Quote:
“There is a suitor that’s been vetted through the National Hockey League, that’s been OK’d by the National Hockey League, that has money,” Sherwood said.
Go on, pull the other one...
Forgive me for being a bit jaded, but this is exactly what we thought would happen, no? Mystery buyer/hope-merchant.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Ted Mosby

Fill me in -- how did Sherwood vote on the Jamison deal? Or, is he one of the new councillors?

Old
02-01-2013, 10:34 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
Go on, pull the other one...
Forgive me for being a bit jaded, but this is exactly what we thought would happen, no? Mystery buyer/hope-merchant.
This was said IMMEDIATELY after news broke that GJ couldn't seal the deal. That there were multiple groups interested, they had the money, and not to be worried.

Now, under what circumstances would such a thing be beneficial to the NHL?

Old
02-01-2013, 10:41 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

In order for this council to maintain that they've negotiated a more reasonable, sensible, fair deal for the city, how much less in AMF would they have to agree on with a potential buyer? What number could they float out, in terms of dollars saved, that would allow them to save face, and not be viewed as complete phonies? They couldn't very well say they save ten percent, right? Ten percent off sale, is not terribly appealing to opponents of the deal (the folks that voted for these guys), I'm sure. I'm thinking a nice round figure like fifty million bucks, or maybe even one hundred million bucks might suffice. Let's say fifty. Even then you are taking 15.4 annually to 12.9 annually. Not exactly something to hang your hat on if you are vehemently and ideologically opposed to this kind of "subsidy" in your very marrow.

Then again, 15.4 to 12.9 might not be enough to send this "deep pocketed man of mystery" screaming into the night from fear of financial ruin. Too bad he doesn't exist.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Reporter: Coyotes' move to Seattle isn't likely

Quote:
"They could play in Key Arena with a smaller capacity if the NHL were willing to make an exemption there," said Kerns. "It's where the Seattle SuperSonics basketball team used to play (before moving to Oklahoma City). After it was renovated several years ago, it can only hold between 10,000 and 11,000 fans for hockey.

"The other possibility is the Tacoma Dome, a larger facility that has hosted minor-league hockey in past years."

Kerns said that the dome would need to be renovated.
http://ktar.com/22/1606610/Reporter-....scznbE2q.dpuf

Old
02-01-2013, 10:45 AM
goyotes

ASSUMING we even get to a new AMLA, I think the council may be willing to save face by putting out something like 10 years at $10M per. However, no investor is going to purchase the team with that deal if GJ couldn't close and purchase the team with a $300M deal. Bottom line is, a deal more favorable to the CoG is only going to ensure no local sale.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:46 AM
_Del_

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
This was said IMMEDIATELY after news broke that GJ couldn't seal the deal. That there were multiple groups interested, they had the money, and not to be worried.
Pretty much what they said after JR, Hulsizer and IE, too. "This guy is the real deal..."

Old
02-01-2013, 10:49 AM
goyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post

Now, under what circumstances would such a thing be beneficial to the NHL?
To keep the fans engaged till the end of the season and avoid further embarrassment of crowds under 8,000. Plus, the loses are all on the NHL this year so they NHL has every incentive to keep up the appearence of a local sale.

I hope I am wrong, but 3 years and no local owner means there is a problem with anyone being able to secure local ownership (even with a $300M lease agreement). Done like dinner my friend. Hope I'm wrong; don't believe I am. Just enjoy the last season of NHL hockey in Arizona. I know I am going to try and do the same.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

While I doubt anything will happen with what I'm going to say next, I'll say throw as much as you can at the wall and see what sticks as far as lawsuits are concenred.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

I cant wait to find out who this "investor" is that tried to derail Jamison. If true, Jamison was betrayed since it sounds like the mysterious "investor" will put in their own bid. True or not, it makes this comedy epic.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:53 AM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post
ASSUMING we even get to a new AMLA, I think the council may be willing to save face by putting out something like 10 years at $10M per. However, no investor is going to purchase the team with that deal if GJ couldn't close and purchase the team with a $300M deal. Bottom line is, a deal more favorable to the CoG is only going to ensure no local sale.
The real issue was GJ not having the money. The lease deal was an excellent deal for any prospective buyer and key in getting investors.
The CoG will work with anyone else that steps up and cut a new deal that will likely still be good enought.
Let's face it. Glendale does not want to lose the team.
This is not about CoG at this point. It's about a legit buyer with money that can wait a few years before he makes money.
Does the tooth fairy really exist? There is a hockey movie involving the tooth fairy so he must.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:03 AM
ssmatik

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
Pretty much what they said after JR, Hulsizer and IE, too. "This guy is the real deal..."
How's that saying go?
Fool me once, shame on me
Fool me twice, shame on me
Fool me thrice, shame on me
Fool me no such word, perhaps we need to consider a conservator for my dumb $&@ cause I might be a candidate for going into business with a Nigerian I met on the Internet.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Coyotes Statement Regarding Ownership Situation

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|PHX|home

Old
02-01-2013, 11:06 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Coyotes Statement Regarding Ownership Situation

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|PHX|home
Curious to see the league and city statements. That was just fluff.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Wanted more, if we are losing the team, explain why you vetoed Jamison's investor only to now deal with him directly.

Quote:
"@azc_mclellan: Statement from Bill Daly on #Coyotes ownership: "We remain hopeful the Coyotes sale process will be resolved successfully ..."
"@azc_mclellan: ...and we will continue to work with the City of Glendale to move the process forward.” -Daly"

Old
02-01-2013, 11:09 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Hah. They aren't even trying to be convincing.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:12 AM
OnionPuck

I come in peace.

Reading the statements from the NHL... is GJ actually still in the picture, or is that all smoke and mirrors?

Old
02-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Irony in this...tomorrow is Groundhog Day

The city of Glendale also released a statement:

Quote:
The city and the current owner of the Coyotes, the National Hockey League, will continue to work together on a solution that is in the best interest of Glendale and our citizens. The next step involves seeking direction from the City Council to determine how to move forward with this process. The arena was built to serve as a catalyst for the economic growth that has occurred in Glendale's Sport & Entertainment District, and its success remains a priority for the city.
http://arizonasports.com/43/1606781/....WyY3mJvY.dpuf

Old
02-01-2013, 11:27 AM
zz

Quote:
I cant wait to find out who this "investor" is that tried to derail Jamison. If true, Jamison was betrayed since it sounds like the mysterious "investor" will put in their own bid. True or not, it makes this comedy epic.
Remember the movie "Fargo"? Where the guy's got this whole plan for a parking structure, thinking he's going to be the one controlling the project and all, putting zero money down, only to be kicked out to the curb by his rich in-law with only a pat on the back to show for it?

Expect Jamison's wife to disappear soon in mysterious fashion.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:28 AM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post
How's that saying go?
Fool me once, shame on me
Fool me twice, shame on me
Fool me thrice, shame on me
Fool me no such word, perhaps we need to consider a conservator for my dumb $&@ cause I might be a candidate for going into business with a Nigerian I met on the Internet.
You know what they say about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Closed Thread