HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins place Zach Boychuk back on waivers (Claimed by Nashville)

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Jag68Sid87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I wouldn't shed a tear if we retained Boychuk and waived Tango. ET could still turn into a player, but the skill trade-off works for me.
So we learned nothing from the Strait fiasco?

Old
02-01-2013, 09:13 AM
NastyNick

Not sure this will work out

Wingers have it tough under Byslma's system. Unless your James Neal and you get powerplay minutes.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:07 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Boychuk reminds a bit of the O'Reilly experiment last year. I hope he proves me wrong.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
Did anyone hear Dreger last night on NHL Network ref ZB?

He said the Canes got rid of him for two reasons: He refused to go to the 'tough' areas of the ice and is a perimeter player only and Muller was frustrated by that.

And the Canes are not financially secure enough to have his contract sitting in Charlotte or the press box every night as they have another player doing the same, (can't remember his name).

I heard Dreger say that and I think the first part definitely has merit, but the 2nd part is pretty ridiculous. Boychuk is on a 2-way deal, so if he's in the AHL, he is only getting paid $105K (which they were fine paying him before the lockout). At the NHL level, it's only $625K.

The guy was sitting in the press box which does neither Carolina nor Boychuk any good and the financial impact was minor. If he ever has a chance to make it, he needs to continue to play, either in the AHL or another team. Even though I didn't want to lose him, waivers was created exactly for players like Boychuk so that he get's a chance on another team if there is no spot for him on his current team.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:33 AM
cheesedanish87

Is boychuk even gonna play this weekend? I thought DJ played good with the 2nd line last couple games. If DJ stays in lineup who comes out of the lineup?

Old
02-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Boychuk reminds a bit of the O'Reilly experiment last year. I hope he proves me wrong.
Pretty much, Boychuk is 3 years younger so hopefully there is more of a spark from him

Old
02-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Is boychuk even gonna play this weekend? I thought DJ played good with the 2nd line last couple games. If DJ stays in lineup who comes out of the lineup?
DJ probably leaves the lineup for Boychuk when he plays. You have to give him his shot.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:46 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
DJ probably leaves the lineup for Boychuk when he plays. You have to give him his shot.
Which is dumb b/c DJ played a great game with Geno. Let him have some shifts with Sid.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Which is dumb b/c DJ played a great game with Geno. Let him have some shifts with Sid.
I agree. Put him wherever the biggest under-performer is on wing. Right now that's Kunitz, followed by Kennedy. So either Crosby or Sutter for now. I wouldn't mess with Jeffrey on line 2 as long as he's doing the right things and helping that line to create chances, which he is.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:52 AM
cheesedanish87

Quote:

I dont think it will happen but id like to see TK as a healthy scratch. Put boychuk with sutter and maybe you can rotate boychuk and DJ between 2nd and 3rd lines.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

I agree on leaving DJ in the lineup and maybe rotate guys like Adams and Glass on taking a night off especially when like this weekend we have back to back games

Anyways if Boychuk doesn't produce it might not even be a big issue since he will be the one sitting out sooner rather then later

Old
02-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
I dont think it will happen but id like to see TK as a healthy scratch. Put boychuk with sutter and maybe you can rotate boychuk and DJ between 2nd and 3rd lines.
I'd leave Kennedy on the 3rd line with Sutter and Boychuk or DJ and send Cooke down to the 4th

Old
02-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Flat Stanley

Yeah I don't think DJ should leave the lineup, but Kunitz or Kennedy won't lose their spot, they're auditioning Boychuk on Malkin's line so my guess is Jeffrey will sit while Boychuk gets his opportunity.

Although, Boychuk with his friend Sutter on the 3rd line is intriguing.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Yeah I don't think DJ should leave the lineup, but Kunitz or Kennedy won't lose their spot, they're auditioning Boychuk on Malkin's line so my guess is Jeffrey will sit while Boychuk gets his opportunity.

Although, Boychuk with his friend Sutter on the 3rd line is intriguing.
It would give us a bit more offensive depth if he doesn't work out on the 2nd line

Kennedy-Sutter-Boychuk would be better suited for Sutter rather then Cooke IMHO

Old
02-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
This move further supplants my belief that Tangradi is a flat out bust.

As far as the impact, I'm expecting a Chris Bourque type performance from Boychuk. He simply isn't a very good hockey player and doesn't project to be solid NHL player. Don't get your hopes up.
Eric Tangradi is a bust because we claimed a promising player that you think isn't very good? Okay that makes sense.

Last edited by Shady Machine: 02-01-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old
02-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
Did anyone hear Dreger last night on NHL Network ref ZB?

He said the Canes got rid of him for two reasons: He refused to go to the 'tough' areas of the ice and is a perimeter player only and Muller was frustrated by that.

And the Canes are not financially secure enough to have his contract sitting in Charlotte or the press box every night as they have another player doing the same, (can't remember his name).
The second part makes zero sense since they waived him so that they could have him in Charlotte.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Shady Machine

I'd much rather sit Kunitz for a game first. It's now been 7 games of complete ass. He isn't hitting either so I'd rather keep Glass' grit in the lineup over Kunitz. It certainly won't happen, but if playing time was based on hustle and performance, that's what we should do.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I'd much rather sit Kunitz for a game first. It's now been 7 games of complete ass. He isn't hitting either so I'd rather keep Glass' grit in the lineup over Kunitz. It certainly won't happen, but if playing time was based on hustle and performance, that's what we should do.
I defended Kunizt in the 1st week saying he wasn't in shape no camp didn't help bla bla bla. I give him another week and now with the flu i'll let it go again. If he doesn't turn things around by the end of next week, I agree sit him in the press box

Old
02-01-2013, 11:22 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt

It's more likely that this team changes it's name to the Pittsburgh Fluffykittens than it is that they sit Kunitz.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:24 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
It's more likely that this team changes it's name to the Pittsburgh Fluffykittens than it is that they sit Kunitz.

I think I'd rather see the name change to be honest. Seeing Tyler Kennedy and Brooks Orpik skating around with Fluffy Kittens on their sweaters would bring me indescribable joy.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:27 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt

That visual is pretty hilarious.

Someone with some shop skills and boredom make it happen!

Old
02-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
So we learned nothing from the Strait fiasco?
We kept Lovejoy over Strait. Lovejoy, a 28 year old who played like crap last year and whose skillset we have no use for, over Strait, a 24 year old who had developed well, looked good in his call-ups, and possesses a skillset we need.

We could use Boychuk's skillset and he's not 28. Tangradi has not looked good in his call-ups.

The two situations are not analogous.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Mordax
Abso-Buc'n-lutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
No sure if serious...

Old
02-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Lines at practice:

Jeffrey-Crosby-Dupuis
Boychuk-Malkin-Neal

Kunitz is out sick again -- which begs the question, how can he be sick enough to not practice, but well enough to play? (answer, he can't). I hope he sits for the weekend to be honest. Dude clearly needs some rest or something anyway.

Last edited by Tasty Biscuits: 02-01-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordax View Post
No sure if serious...
You don't think Tanner Glass provides grit or you don't want him in the lineup over Kunitz? If it's the former, you are out of your mind. If it's the latter, I totally understand. Kunitz is a much better hockey player than Glass. However, Kunitz has played awful and has had an overall negative impact on nearly every game. I was speaking of a scenario of giving Boychuck a shot. Rather than sitting Jeffrey (who has played fairly well the last 2 games) or Glass (a guy that is hustling and providing grit/physicality), I'd rather sit the guy who is playing terribly and is supposedly sick.

Closed Thread