HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Phil Kessel Discussion Thread. (no goals as of Feb 4, 2013)

View Poll Results: kessel goals, 15 over or under, this year
over 86 51.50%
under 81 48.50%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProspector View Post
JVR doesn't have 4G in 7GP if Kessel isn't playing like an all-star.

The goal he scored yesterday was off Kessel's low shot, which was basically a pass - he shot that to generate a rebound.

There is nothing wrong with Phil's game right now, and a whole lot of things right. He's playmaking, drawing 2, 3 defenders away from his linemates, and was both first on the forecheck and backcheck multiple times last game. He's also working the best corner and board games of his career.

This team probably got more out of Phil Kessel not scoring than they would if had not done those things and potted 4 by now.

I really don't think the Stevie Y analogue is all that wrong. Phil Kessel has the mental and physical tools to take himself to the next level. He's already an all-star, but he could turn himself into generational player.
He would have 3 at the least...

He passed to Kessel on that 2 on 1 in an attempt to help Kessel get the monkey off his back. He might've scored that.

His other 3 goals were on the Kadri/Koma and Grabo/Kule line

Old
02-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Grabowaffle84

Even his team mates are doing all they can to try and get Kessel his first. JVR definately should have shot that puck last night when he was in the clear.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:41 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
I think you all are really starting to reach and its quite sad "Oh Phil's getting so many shots its great" "Oh I saw Phil go in the corner once."

Are the expectations so low that Phil Kessel can do what 99.9% of NHL players are required to do and its considered a monumental victory?

Like Burke - put him on the next plane out of here. Him not scoring is just putting salt on the Sequin/Hamilton wound.
And your mentality is any better? Lets deal our best player because we traded 2 good players for him and look stupid as long as he's on this team!

If you know anything about hockey you would know why Kadri and Frattin are producing well, why Grabovski and Kulemin look incredible and why Bozak is struggling in addition to Kessel. Kessel a presence allows the other lines to match up against weak defensive lines! A shut down line can only play so many minutes a night, they will be matched against Kessel in addition to their top pairing for the entire game. Grabovskis line is playing against the top offensive line and mid pairing offensive D which are usually quite poor defensively. Kadri and Frattin are playing against second lines and bottom pairing D which is why they are dominating with their sheltered minutes. Take away the 1st line offensive threat and you essentially ruin our ability to roll 3 offensively lines effectively. Same phenomenon applies to the getzlaf perry line on their cup run.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:41 AM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
No, Jason Blake never led the league in shots while he was in Toronto. If you'll remember back a few years, that was when Ovechkin was taking like 500 shots a season. When Jason Blake came to Toronto, he was around 34 years old. Phil Kessel is currently 25 in his fourth season in Toronto. Jason Blake scored over 30 goals (40) once in his life, the season before coming to Toronto. He was 33 years old at that time. Phil Kessel is 25 (as mentioned above) and is coming off his fourth straight 30 goal season. But I mean, they're both American? That's about how far the comparison goes.
The only real difference other than age between the two - is that Jason Blake probably could have done more in Toronto.

I have seen the absolute best from Phil Kessel - and its helped propel this team no higher than 9th last!

But if you want to join the rest of them and sugar coat the fact that the Phil Kessel experiment has/is not working in Toronto then by all means - take up the mantle.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:44 AM
edruga
-

vCash: 666
^ I can't tell if this guy is serious or not anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
Quote of the Night

"He's working his balls off."

- Cody Franson on Phil Kessel's effort despite not scoring.

*ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
His quote I believe was, " In the end the team's winning and that's all that matter right? "

Not a team player my ass. Regardless his drive has been good, it'll only be a matter of time.
I remember a reporter asking him about his goal or point streak at the beginning of last season. He said that he didn't care about his points as long as the team was winning.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:45 AM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
And your mentality is any better? Lets deal our best player because we traded 2 good players for him and look stupid as long as he's on this team!

If you know anything about hockey you would know why Kadri and Frattin are producing well, why Grabovski and Kulemin look incredible and why Bozak is struggling in addition to Kessel. Kessel a presence allows the other lines to match up against weak defensive lines! A shut down line can only play so many minutes a night, they will be matched against Kessel in addition to their top pairing for the entire game. Grabovskis line is playing against the top offensive line and mid pairing offensive D which are usually quite poor defensively. Kadri and Frattin are playing against second lines and bottom pairing D which is why they are dominating with their sheltered minutes. Take away the 1st line offensive threat and you essentially ruin our ability to roll 3 offensively lines effectively. Same phenomenon applies to the getzlaf perry line on their cup run.
If you watched hockey other than the TML you would realize that what you're referring too - is not an isolated/unique situation that pertains only to Phil Kessel and the Toronto Maple Leafs.

EVERY SINGLE GOOD PLAYER IN THE NHL GETS MATCHED UP AGAINST - yet they can all still find a way to contribute - Crosby can still find a way? Perry still finds a way? Stamkos still finds a way? The list goes on and on ...

Old
leach11

Quote:
I think you all are really starting to reach and its quite sad "Oh Phil's getting so many shots its great" "Oh I saw Phil go in the corner once."

Are the expectations so low that Phil Kessel can do what 99.9% of NHL players are required to do and its considered a monumental victory?

Like Burke - get him on the next plane out of here. not scoring is just putting salt on the Sequin/Hamilton wound.
Thank god you are not the Leaf's GM. Stick to NHL 13...

Old
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
donuts are for kadri, cookies are for kessel.
Sorry, got my wires crossed.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
The only real difference other than age between the two - is that Jason Blake probably could have done more in Toronto.

I have seen the absolute best from Phil Kessel - and its helped propel this team no higher than 9th last!

But if you want to join the rest of them and sugar coat the fact that the Phil Kessel experiment has/is not working in Toronto then by all means - take up the mantle.
Not sure if you were expecting Phil Kessel to come in here and be the next Leafs great like a Dougie or Mats but you've probably been sadly mistaken if that's what you were expecting. He was brought in to score goals. He scores goals. When Jason Blake was brought in to score goals, he didn't score goals.

02-01-2013, 10:49 AM
leach11

Quote:
If you watched hockey other than the TML you would realize that what you're referring too - is not an isolated/unique situation that pertains only to Phil Kessel and the Toronto Maple Leafs.

EVERY SINGLE GOOD PLAYER IN THE NHL GETS MATCHED UP AGAINST - yet they can all still find a way to contribute - Crosby can still find a way? Perry still finds a way? Stamkos still finds a way? The list goes on and on ...
Look who all three of those players play with...

Old
02-01-2013, 10:50 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:

I do watch every game from any team that I can and I know it's not an isolate phenomenon. However like every other team, take the Crosy, the Perry the stamkos out and the same ramifications will result. That is why the "Kessel should be traded" should stop since even though he isn't producing his presence, like every star player in the league, allows his teammates to match against easier competition allowing this team to be more effective offensively. With Kessel gone a ripple effect will reduce offensive output from every line and it won't only be kessels offense that will be missed. Sure Kessel can be producing more, but it's not as if he's providing nothing to this team.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Clark4Ever

I agree with everyone that has stated that despite Kessel's slump, he has been contributing to the offense and playing an inspired brand of hockey this season.

Kessel doesn't get nearly enough credit for his passing ability. He's arguably the best playmaker on the team.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:55 AM
drewski1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Kessel is playing his best hockey now since joining the Leafs.
I agree with this as well. Maybe not his best offensive hockey, but by far his best complete hockey. The team is even trying to set him up as much as they can now (JVR with the forceful pass on the 2 on 1 last night/Carlyle putting the Kessel line on with the empty net).

The pucks will go in eventually. We're winning games without our best player scoring, and our 2nd best forward out with injury. Don't underestimate what Lupul does for Kessel, he certainly creates more room for Kessel than most other wingers.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:56 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
I agree with everyone that has stated that despite Kessel's slump, he has been contributing to the offense and playing an inspired brand of hockey this season.

Kessel doesn't get nearly enough credit for his passing ability. He's arguably the best playmaker on the team.
Kadri is pretty awsome man.Hands of gold.Silver anyways.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:58 AM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Kessel is playing his best hockey now since joining the Leafs.
The first dozen games last season were easily the best hockey of his career, in all three zones.

Not sure how anybody can take your statement seriously.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
How exactly? If Kessels replaced by a subpar scorer whos good defensively then the Suters and Charas around the league cover the Grabo line rendering it essentially useless. That would result in the Kadri's line being the only one available to score. However, the Charas cover Kessel, Grabovski and Kulemin have easier defensive competition, Kadri has even easier competition. I dont think you realize the benefit of having an offensive threat distract the competition defensively.
If Kessel continues to not score then the other team's top D will play against the other players you mentioned. That's exactly why he must score to be an effective player. He occupies the other teams' top D.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:02 AM
number72

The guy reminds me of Gomez. 100% heart but 0% results.
Watch him turtle into his shell against Boston.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:06 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
If Kessel continues to not score then the other team's top D will play against the other players you mentioned. That's exactly why he must score to be an effective player. He occupies the other teams' top D.
And as soon as they leave Kessel than hell be on fuego. If Kessels getting the chances against top D, than hell ruin middling D

Old
02-01-2013, 11:07 AM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that you are FOS. Do you even know how many goals he scored last year? 37! that's right... Did you know he is sitting at 99 goals since he wore the Leafs uniform? Don't give me this crap about him NOT finding a way, you really should stop posting this garbage.

You're just like those fans when the time comes to eat crow, you step in and say "oh I must admit he's really impressed me so far, I must admit yada yada yada..."

02-01-2013, 11:09 AM
FireEverybody*

Quote:

No but there is no need to panic like a jackass.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:11 AM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Not sure if you were expecting Phil Kessel to come in here and be the next Leafs great like a Dougie or Mats but you've probably been sadly mistaken if that's what you were expecting. He was brought in to score goals. He scores goals. When Jason Blake was brought in to score goals, he didn't score goals.
2nd/9th/32nd overall picks were the expectations set for Phil Kessel - right or wrong.

We've seen the best Phil can offer. We've seen his career high in stats. We've seen the team finish in bottom 5.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:11 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
OK let them, that leaves Kessel wide open to do as he pleases.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:12 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
2nd/9th/32nd overall picks were the expectations set for Phil Kessel - right or wrong.

We've seen the best Phil can offer. We've seen his career high in stats. We've seen the team finish in bottom 5.
Key word.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

Bold word is team, it's spelled T-E-A-M, not K-E-S-S-E-L.

Man even Crosby didn't get his team into the playoffs his first season and they had a better team than us. It's okay to hate a player or dislike a player but it's pretty dumb to ignore his good work.

02-01-2013, 11:15 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:

So a concussed goaltender, an incompetent coach, a single competent line mate and a porous D yet Kessel is the reason for a bottom 5 finish? Your rationality is terrible.

Closed Thread