HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Off-topic Thread L-Hockey is Back,I am all smiles

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2013, 11:06 PM
  #76
Neely08
Registered User
 
Neely08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 18,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliciouspie View Post
a happy confluence of events has lead to me giving a tour to a group of high schoolers interested in robotics from the high school i graduated from some time ago

i don't know why i'm so happy to show these little dudes and dudettes why they should be engineers and play with robots all day, but i can't hardly wait
That has to be pretty cool, as well as satisfying professionally.

Neely08 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 04:04 AM
  #77
sooshii
SISU
 
sooshii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philly burbs
Country: United States
Posts: 11,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliciouspie View Post
a happy confluence of events has lead to me giving a tour to a group of high schoolers interested in robotics from the high school i graduated from some time ago

i don't know why i'm so happy to show these little dudes and dudettes why they should be engineers and play with robots all day, but i can't hardly wait
I love when happy confluence happens.
Enjoy it.

sooshii is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 06:16 AM
  #78
Terrier
Registered User
 
Terrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Waltham, MA
Posts: 2,729
vCash: 500
Former NYC mayor Ed Koch has died at 88.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/f...pohQ9JC6ILAXrL

Terrier is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 06:32 AM
  #79
Kovi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 21,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliciouspie View Post
a happy confluence of events has lead to me giving a tour to a group of high schoolers interested in robotics from the high school i graduated from some time ago

i don't know why i'm so happy to show these little dudes and dudettes why they should be engineers and play with robots all day, but i can't hardly wait


compassion for passion spreads.....

Kovi is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 06:58 AM
  #80
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky
 
Ference the Finger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Just North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 7,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliciouspie View Post
a happy confluence of events has lead to me giving a tour to a group of high schoolers interested in robotics from the high school i graduated from some time ago

i don't know why i'm so happy to show these little dudes and dudettes why they should be engineers and play with robots all day, but i can't hardly wait
My son is participating in the FIRST Robotics challenge this year, and I have to say it's the only extra curricular activity he really seems excited about day in and day out. I don't think he's on your tour, but you wouldn't have to do much to convince him. Although he seems more interested in programming the robots than in building them.


Last edited by Ference the Finger: 02-01-2013 at 07:00 AM. Reason: made a typo - checked to see how close the keys were to each other on the keyboard. :)
Ference the Finger is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 07:26 AM
  #81
deliciouspie
the best post
 
deliciouspie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: sf, austin, here
Country: United States
Posts: 2,778
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
getting people excited about the technology i work with and advance is a lot of fun for me, so i'm very excited

i also have somehow become the college hiring manager and intern/co-op manager for the business unit, except i don't have a manager title

probably need to have a conversation with someone about that so i can get budget versus lying, cheating, and stealing internally

deliciouspie is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 07:56 AM
  #82
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky
 
Ference the Finger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Just North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 7,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliciouspie View Post
getting people excited about the technology i work with and advance is a lot of fun for me, so i'm very excited

i also have somehow become the college hiring manager and intern/co-op manager for the business unit, except i don't have a manager title

probably need to have a conversation with someone about that so i can get budget versus lying, cheating, and stealing internally
But the latter can be so much more challenging and interesting!

Ference the Finger is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 08:23 AM
  #83
Kovi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 21,523
vCash: 500
sometimes not "following" or falling in line with sheep behavior makes me feel left out. but i think i am better for it and I think it makes me stronger.



that is all~~

Kovi is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 08:27 AM
  #84
doubleminor138
Call me Snake
 
doubleminor138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 14,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
sometimes not "following" or falling in line with sheep behavior makes me feel left out. but i think i am better for it and I think it makes me stronger.



that is all~~
THat actually makes me feel superior most of the time, if I am being honest.

__________________
Terry Tomasi / Backin72

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 08:29 AM
  #85
Kovi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 21,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
THat actually makes me feel superior most of the time, if I am being honest.
that you arent a sheep?

Kovi is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 08:36 AM
  #86
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky
 
Ference the Finger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Just North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 7,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
sometimes not "following" or falling in line with sheep behavior makes me feel left out. but i think i am better for it and I think it makes me stronger.



that is all~~
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

One of my favorite quotes.

Ference the Finger is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 08:46 AM
  #87
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator
 
CamFan81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 18,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
that you arent a sheep?
cmon sometimes to good to be Baaaaaaad


ba dum tsss

CamFan81 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 08:47 AM
  #88
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,893
vCash: 500
Spoiler for 30 Rock

This may be old news but I thought you guys might enjoy this. As you guys who watch 30 Rock know they occasionally throw in hockey references. In an episode from this season Liz tells Jack that she thinks hos mother may have been in a lesbian relationship and he says "Lemon listen to what you are saying. Colleen Donaghey was gay? She stopped watching the Bruins because Derek Sanderson's mustache made him look quote like he took a pickle with his sandwich".


Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 02-01-2013 at 09:22 AM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 08:50 AM
  #89
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky
 
Ference the Finger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Just North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 7,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
cmon sometimes to good to be Baaaaaaad

ba dum tsss
That's what Lonnie says!

Ference the Finger is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 09:29 AM
  #90
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star
 
ToddRundgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somerville MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Spoiler for 30 Rock

This may be old news but I thought you guys might enjoy this. As you guys who watch 30 Rock know they occasionally throw in hockey references. In an episode from this season Liz tells Jack that she thinks hos mother may have been in a lesbian relationship and he says "Lemon listen to what you are saying. Colleen Donaghey was gay? She stopped watching the Bruins because Derek Sanderson's mustache made him look quote like he took a pickle with his sandwich".


Loved it.

I just want you to be "happy".

ToddRundgren is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 09:43 AM
  #91
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ference the Finger View Post
That's what Lonnie says!
Na-a-a-a-a-a-h...

LSCII is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 09:50 AM
  #92
Ksyrium
Registered User
 
Ksyrium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Epping NH
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliciouspie View Post
getting people excited about the technology i work with and advance is a lot of fun for me, so i'm very excited

i also have somehow become the college hiring manager and intern/co-op manager for the business unit, except i don't have a manager title

probably need to have a conversation with someone about that so i can get budget versus lying, cheating, and stealing internally
DP what industry are you in? Your posts about work always pique my curiosity.

Ksyrium is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 10:02 AM
  #93
doubleminor138
Call me Snake
 
doubleminor138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 14,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
that you arent a sheep?
That I am diffferent. Exceptional. Remarkable.

doubleminor138 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 10:43 AM
  #94
deliciouspie
the best post
 
deliciouspie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: sf, austin, here
Country: United States
Posts: 2,778
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
capital equipment

deliciouspie is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 10:48 AM
  #95
Kovi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 21,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
That I am diffferent. Exceptional. Remarkable.
I am too. I need to tap into it. i get to the edge and I tiptoe backward

Kovi is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:05 AM
  #96
doubleminor138
Call me Snake
 
doubleminor138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 14,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
I am too. I need to tap into it. i get to the edge and I tiptoe backward
If I am being honest, I did that sometimes until I had a family to think about and support me. Fear of failure and all that. Once I was responsible for more than just my own self, I knew I had to root out opportunities and step into the front of the line and promote myself and not second guess myself once in a while.

Perfect example is at my current job. I was hired though I probably only had half of the skills they needed. I learned a lot and worked my ass off the first couple of years until it became easie. Then I expanded, stretched out a bit. Now I am in a position to do it again (I have maybe half the skills needed for the promotion I am looking at) and am ready for a new challenge.

A lot of it is aptitude, but just as much of it is confidence and determination.

Of course, I don't know that this is the same as being a sheep as opposed to carving out your own path. I was actively pursuing being nonconformist for a long, long time. Now I just pick my spots so people don't have to see me be a freak 24/7.

doubleminor138 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:06 AM
  #97
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 19,570
vCash: 500
Rant/

My sister is 11 years older than me, and I barely knew her growing up. She knows nothing about sports. She loves to shop. She loves clothes and shoes and knicknacks. I hate all that stuff. And last night she really really really really wanted to go to the Bruins game with me. Not because she likes the Bruins (she couldn't name a player on the roster) but because it's exciting to go to a game.

The guys on my left at the Garden were dropping dumb comments all night ("Thornton can't fight, he should let Chara do the fighting."). I must have been sitting in a dead spot because I couldn't get tweets, and even walking around between periods I couldn't get fantasy updates. My sister was freezing even with her jacket on and my jacket around her legs. The Bruins lost and she said "oh dear, maybe they can score more next time." And I really, really really needed a drink.

/end rant

Artemis is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:08 AM
  #98
Kovi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 21,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Rant/

My sister is 11 years older than me, and I barely knew her growing up. She knows nothing about sports. She loves to shop. She loves clothes and shoes and knicknacks. I hate all that stuff. And last night she really really really really wanted to go to the Bruins game with me. Not because she likes the Bruins (she couldn't name a player on the roster) but because it's exciting to go to a game.

The guys on my left at the Garden were dropping dumb comments all night ("Thornton can't fight, he should let Chara do the fighting."). I must have been sitting in a dead spot because I couldn't get tweets, and even walking around between periods I couldn't get fantasy updates. My sister was freezing even with her jacket on and my jacket around her legs. The Bruins lost and she said "oh dear, maybe they can score more next time." And I really, really really needed a drink.

/end rant

oh dear

hand Artemis Advil, box of cookies and Stanley Cup video.
bottle of vodka

hug.

Kovi is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:13 AM
  #99
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
oh dear

hand Artemis Advil, box of cookies and Stanley Cup video.
bottle of vodka

hug.
You can skip the first 3 items and just hand her the Vodka...

LSCII is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:14 AM
  #100
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 19,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
oh dear

hand Artemis Advil, box of cookies and Stanley Cup video.
bottle of vodka

hug.
Mmmm, chocolate chip, my favorite! ::saves vodka for day off::

Thanks, Kovi.

Artemis is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.