HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Rasmus Ristolainen - TPS, FEL (2013, 8th overall, Buffalo)

Old
01-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Tuomaz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
scouting is much better these days....the world is now covered like a blanket, so the chances of another Aki Berg being drafted high in the 1st round is pretty remote now. not impossible for sure, but getting more remote.
There is even more recent example:

Tuomaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlin View Post
This. I`ve also seen him play live countless of times and it worries me that he gets cought out of position a lot. He is good in the offensive zone, physical etc, but sometimes it looks like he doesnt know how to play D...
IIRC, Ristolainen used to be a forward until some years ago. It may take time until his mentality becomes more suitable for a dman.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
IIRC, Ristolainen used to be a forward until some years ago. It may take time until his mentality becomes more suitable for a dman.
His coach switched him to D when he was 12.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:41 AM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 50
Would a good comparison be as a prospect at least Dougie Hamilton?

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:08 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post

^sure, but i'm willing to gamble a high 1st rounder on Jones, Ristolainen or Pulock and see what happens. as we all know, high picks aren't immune to being gambles either.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:43 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Would a good comparison be as a prospect at least Dougie Hamilton?
RR55 is much more physical, he can be really nasty at times(not in the dirty way) and pain for opposite players. He's that kind of player who doesen't let opposite players get without pain infront of goal and doesen't make it comfortable. However i see Dougie Hamilton as offensively more gifted player and upside is very good #1. Dougie Hamilton is in my books better but Ristolainen has pretty good potential to be rock solid 2way defender with nasty edge in his game. He needs to be more consistent defensively and not to overdo things.

Last edited by thomast: 01-14-2013 at 04:59 PM.
thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post

Another recent example:

Didn't the Kings put him on waivers recently? Not calling him a bust obviously since it would be extremely premature. However he's not exactly what the Kings projected him to be when they drafted him 4th overall in '07.

Jeepers Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:01 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

I really would like to see my Isles pick up Ristolainen in the draft. Unfortunately they will probably pick top-3 and go after one of Jones/MacKinnon/Barkov instead...

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:13 AM
KlattNazty

What is this kids skating like in other peoples eyes? I like it alot. And Corey Pronman thinks it will be his defense that carries him in the NHL, while being a two way threat.

What do others posters see him like? I personally think his mobility combined with his use of size and poise in his own zone will lead to a strong shutdown defencemen.

Comparables?

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:07 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
What is this kids skating like in other peoples eyes? I like it alot. And Corey Pronman thinks it will be his defense that carries him in the NHL, while being a two way threat.

What do others posters see him like? I personally think his mobility combined with his use of size and poise in his own zone will lead to a strong shutdown defencemen.

Comparables?
Pronger-lite.

From players playing now.. maybe Seabrook.

Skating is pretty good for his size.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Comparables?
Young Aki Berg comes to mind. And that's not to say Ristolainen is likely to bust. Berg just stopped developing against all the odds. Ristolainen is quite much more physical than Berg at that time. And a better skater. But there are some similarities.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:09 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
Young Aki Berg comes to mind. And that's not to say Ristolainen is likely to bust. Berg just stopped developing against all the odds. Ristolainen is quite much more physical than Berg at that time. And a better skater. But there are some similarities.
They're 2 complitely different players. Berg was very soft player with limited hockeyIQ and offensive ability.

Ristolainen is nasty physical player who has good puck skills, high offensive potential and good hockeyIQ. At times he is too aggressive and play himself out of the position or takes penalty because of that.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:28 AM
toewsintangibles

Time to bring back my favourite hockey gif: The amazing dangles of Aki Berg

Now that he has a comparable in a recent hockey prospect from Finland, I feel its relevant..

Behold

Small tribute for a big man

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465

Ristolainen signs a two-year contract extension with TPS. Doesn't really mean much NHL career-wise due to NHL clause, except that he probably won't play in AHL as long as the contract is in effect.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
They're 2 complitely different players. Berg was very soft player with limited hockeyIQ and offensive ability.

Ristolainen is nasty physical player who has good puck skills, high offensive potential and good hockeyIQ. At times he is too aggressive and play himself out of the position or takes penalty because of that.
This is just all complete bull****. Have you actually watched either of them play? Berg being soft? He is one of if not the toughest D-man we ever had at the NHL level. And where did you get the IQ part? Both have decent IQ, not good by any means. Being too aggressive and playing himself out of position tells he has a low IQ.

But anyhow, I agree that there aren't the best comparisons. Ristolainen is much better skater and has more offensive potential as you said. Defensively they are about the same though. I think Berg's career is Ristolainen's downside.

Jack DiBiase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:17 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post

Hindsight is 20/20. If people knew that about him, he wouldn't have been drafted so high.

JAVO16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. If people knew that about him, he wouldn't have been drafted so high.
Completely off topic, but have you guys who say this actually taken a look at the 1995 draft? Apart from Redden, Iginla, Doan, Dvorak, Langkow and Sykora, there isn't anyone on the first 3 rounds, who had a significantly better career than Berg. Even looking back now, I don't Berg was such a horrible pick as some people make it seem.

Jack DiBiase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Hagged

As a prospect, Berg was a promising one. He had room to add some speed and overall mobility to his skating, he was a good skater for his size as an 18 year old. I don't know where this "Berg didn't have an offensive upside" comes from. He had upside, he just never got there. I thought I even said it in my post that "And that's not to say Ristolainen is likely to bust. Berg just stopped developing against all the odds. Ristolainen is quite much more physical than Berg at that time. And a better skater."

If Ristolainen stops developing now as Berg did, he won't top Berg's NHL career. But just as in Berg's case, Ristolainen must stop developing against all odds to bust. And maybe this is even somewhat overhyping Ristolainen. Berg was playing in the NHL right after he got drafted. While in hindsight Berg wasn't exactly ready for the NHL back then, Ristolainen doesn't strike to me as an NHL ready prospect. He has some road ahead of him.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:31 AM
sweranger

How is this guy doing? Do you think he will be a top ten pick in the draft this year?

sweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jati View Post
I love that hit. If that's charging, I'm Frederick the Great...

I would like to see the Blues get a crack at this kid. With three nice Finnish blueliners -- Hakanpaa, Eronen and Lindbohm -- in the prospect stable already, another one would be most welcome.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:21 AM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack DiBiase View Post
I'm a TPS fan and been following the kid since Junior B. While I'm a huge fan of Ristolainen, I have to admit as a former d-man myself, that he seems to be one of those players with all the tools in the world, but no tool box. He has good and constantly improving mobility for a big guy, and moves the puck very well. He also plays physical in every zone of the ice and defends the goalie in every situation. But the biggest problem in his game is the defensive awareness. Sometimes he is just completely lost in his own end, which makes me worry, if he will ever learn to become a reliable defensive player in the NHL. With all that being said, I think he is a lock to become a top-4 defenseman, who paired with a defensive rock will be able to play big minutes in a big role. I'm not sure he has the smarts to become a #1 Dman, but still a player who can be an important complementary piece of the team puzzle.

Comparable players: Brent Burns, Jack Johnson, James Wisniewski
I think Robert Hagg is a more stronger player on the defensive side. In fact, his play tends to resemble Larsson a lot more. He does use his size quite regularly. However, I'd consider Ristolainen over him, because is oozing with potential and for that reason he's likely closer to top 10.

Hagg is a left-handed defenceman, but his two way game equates to #1 D potential. Much like a Karlsson, his type of game is required if we want to be a team that is difficult to play against. I would even play him off-side, because the kind of defensive IQ that he possesses at his age is only going to make him better in the long-run.

Ryan Pulock, RHD, is interesting. Offensively, he can play like an additional forward. That is going to help enhance our top scoring line with an offensive wizard on the blue line. It'd work much better than a playmaking centre because Kessel likes to carry the puck. However, a creative guy making first passes could enhance Kessel's ability to make plays in the offensive zone. More so, unlike Gardiner, he is quite steady on his own end. For some reason, I can see him going in the top 15 range.

IMO, Ristolainen > Hagg > Pulock. I'd take any, though. The top 10-20 range seem more D-friendly. However, Domi and Gauthier should be considered. If only if we had another first round pick...

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Jack de la Hoya

One of the posters on the Flyers board likened Ristolainen to a slightly bigger, slightly meaner Eric Desjardins.

I wonder if any of the older heads could weigh in on that comparison?

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:31 AM

Would have so much more hype if he played in the CHL

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:06 AM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/04/18/rasmus-ristolainen-2013-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-9/

Rasmus Ristolainen: 2013 NHL Draft Prospect Profile #9

Quote:
Rasmus Ristolainen joins countryman Aleksander Sasha Barkov, and gives us two Finnish players in our top 10 ranks. He also plays in the SM-Liiga the top men’s league in Finland, for TPS Turku. This is impressive especially considering that when he played his first games in the league he was just 16 years old. This pro experience will serve Ristolainen well and will help him to make the transition into the NHL that much quicker than it otherwise would have been.

LastWordArmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:11 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWordArmy View Post
Excellent comparison. He looks like Chris Pronger-lite.