HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings Version III

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 09:55 AM
HeroNtF

vCash: 500
How about we dont gut our prospect pool, and instead keep growing it !

If there was a player I could get my hands on it would be jenner in a youth for youth trade ! Biggs and him would make up a realy good 3rd line in a couple years.

Colborne, percy for jenner, 3rd ?

Old
02-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroNtF View Post

If there was a player I could get my hands on it would be jenner in a youth for youth trade ! Biggs and him would make up a realy good 3rd line in a couple years.

No. Why would we do that brutal overpayment for Jenner? I mean i like the guy as the next but dayuummmm

02-01-2013, 10:12 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:

Not to be rude but it really bothers me when people have no consideration for other teams needs. Columbus has Murray, Erixson (sp?), Moore, Savard, and Johnson as their D going forward. Why would they downgrade their position of weakness (C) for a redundant player.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs2013 View Post
Kessel not a superstar? Seriously? Top 6 scoring in the league...Thats not a superstar to you? And Lupul is a legitemate 1st line, ppg player, and a great leader... if you wanna knock him for any reason, atleast make it about his injuries. Anyways I'm not gonna make this into Kessel or Lupul vs. Ovi since were not talking about swapping Kessel or Lupul for Ovi, we're talking about adding Ovi to them.

Could you please point out where I stated that Rielly will be a #1 Dman? I said "blue chip prospect" which means "a can't miss prospect"; doesn't mean he's gonna be a #1, just means he'll likely make a very good NHL player, at worst a top 4. And it's not unrealistic to think that he'll get there at somepoint in the next 2-3 years. Not to mention guys like Biggs, Percy and whoever they draft this year that you're basically ready to just throw away for what you consider to be a legitimate stanley cup team that is missing Ovechkin and a goaltender. Those players could end up being clutch guys like Lucic or M.Richards or J.Carter (drafted late 1st round and second round).

Ovechkin couldn't push the Washington Capitals to the cup, a team that had Backstrom, Green, Carlson, Semin, Laich, Alzner etc... way more depth that Toronto has now and way more playoff experience. What makes you think he'll be able to push the Leafs to the cup? Oh yes, goaltender, badaboom badabing = Stanley Cup. Guess what, having all the talent in the world doesn't guarantee anything. Look at VAN, SJ, PHI (pre-trade). The team needs to grow chemistry as the players mature and develop and battle in the playoffs before they can make a legitimate run at the Cup. And what if they don't happen to win it this year or next year, what then? Blow it up again? You just wasted 2 years, plus another 3-4 after the fact developing prospects (which is where we are now).

However, the point you're making, and I'll respond to it accordingly; Is that we need to bring a top player into our team because we lack a "True Superstar".

I agree to a certain extent. If we had a realistic shot at winning the cup this year, or next year, or even the one after that and all we we're missing was a power forward scoring left winger, then I'd be on board with ya. But not in 3 years, because in 3 years Ovechkin would be 30, and according to your logic that is when they stop being able to be competitive and win stanley cups. Getzlaf fits this bill much better than Ovechkin and will likely be a UFA this summer, which won't cost the Leafs 4 first rounders.

1) Umm how is Brian Burke relevant? Because Getzlaf and Perry just love Brian so much and would only sign here cuz of him? Guess what, players sign where the $ is and Toronto has the cap space and the available cash to make those investements. Something that 28 other teams don't all have. 7-8mill for Getzlaf or Perry is likely what the market will bear... where do I sign? 2) If Anaheim had control of that, they would have had them signed by now. The fact that they arent yet, indicates that they are likely going to test free agency. This isn't guaranteed, but on a probability scale... yes (i.e. Parise, Sutter, Schultz). And just to sweeten it up a bit, Perry is from southern ontario and spends a lot of time here in the off season. You follow? (i.e. Parise - Minnesota). But you're right, 28 other teams lol

So you see my friend; trading away prospects and picks that could turn out to be gems down the road, for a player that we don't really need and likely won't bring us the cup in the short run is not a very smart investement.

Keep the pick, keep the prospects. In 1-2 years time, when most of them have developed to a point where we can better judge to their true value and can better assess the state of the team as a whole (including playoff experience hopefully), only at that point would it make sense to make a trade for high impact player like Ovechkin. Till' then, please stop making ridiculous proposals.
Kessel is top 6 scoring in the league right now? With 4 points in 7 games? Might want to recheck that. He is a star player but has not reached elite status yet. This isn't a Kessel discussion but do i believe he will be a superstar? Yes. Don't see any mention of Lupul where I said he sucks? This isn't about Lupul or Kessel, it is about adding a dynamic player to our lineup.

You mentioned VAN, SJ, and PHI...

Ok lets compare a a forward depth chart of

Kessel
Ovechkin
Lupul
Bozak
Grabovski
Kulemin
MacArthur
JVR
Kadri
Frattin

To those teams, heck even LA from this past year. Id say the talent is there, in the top 9. Lets say we added Getzlaf or made a trade for Statsny. Or heck maybe Kadri is the answer for our 1st line centre. Our forwards are looking pretty good with or without Ovechkin. But what team has 2 snipers, teams can't double team both Kessel and Ovechkin. It gives us 2 scary offensive threats that would give us a chance every game to score goals even when one is cold.

I stated Rielly is projected as a number 1. You stated Rielly would be a top Dman and a lot of us are predicting him to be our future number 1, if the Leafs scouts had him pegged as 1st overall, that is what he was brought in for.

Ovechkin couldn't help push Washington towards the cup? Um he is a beast in the playoffs he sure made an impact for his team with 59 points in 51 playoff games. I did not know 30 years old was the age where the average NHL career is over. With a nucleus of clutch guys in Kessel and Ovechkin, along with Lupul, Kadri, JVR, Grabovski, Kulemin, Frattin gives us a pretty strong forward crew.

You are taking me too seriously. It was a Brian Burke joke. If a team has the opportunity to sign an interested Perry or Getzlaf, how hard is it to make room for cap space by trade or burying? If I recall teams can go over the cap during the summer after July 1st and have all summer before season starts to organize their cap charts. And has trade deadline gone by yet? No, so Anaheim still has time although its running out. Did Atlanta let Kolvachuk walk? No they basically traded his rights to NJ a team to negotiate a new contract for him. Parise it was obvious that he was going to walk, the 1 year extension he signed over an entire summer last year after negotiations with Lamoriello made it obvious he was going to walk.

Plus I wasn't sure whens the last time we have acquired a star free agent here? Richards, Kolvachuk, Parise, Suter, etc? Oh wait every free agent automatically signs in Toronto, because we have the money. Not everybody star player wants to play here, unless they are at the end of their careers, AND that was when we were a playoff team in 2004 and prior. Finger, Komisarek, Armstrong, Wallin lol etc free agency has sure done wonders for the Leafs.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Dark Knight
I like to singa...

JVR - C - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Kulemin - Grabovski - RW
Orr - McClement - Komarov

Significant upgrades are needed in the above 2 position to be considered playoff contenders every yeah.

I like Stasny for the top line C role. I think he has two-way game and the size to compliment Kessel in a positive manner.

For the 3rd line RW spot, I really like Curtis Glencross. These are two attainable assets if Nonis gets creative.

JVR - Stasny - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Kulemin - Grabovski - Glencross

02-01-2013, 11:19 AM
eyeball11

So a couple weeks ago when people were rumouring MacArthur for Bernier deal, I suggested I'd try to make that deal bigger to possibly land Loktionov, who is stuck behind 3 centres. Well just a day or two ago, he asked to be traded. Not a big player but has some potential at C which is an area we could use.

To me, MacA has to be moved at some point.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
JVR - C - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Kulemin - Grabovski - RW

Significant upgrades are needed in the above 2 position to be considered playoff contenders every yeah.

I like Stasny for the top line C role. I think he has two-way game and the size to compliment Kessel in a positive manner.

For the 3rd line RW spot, I really like Curtis Glencross. These are two attainable assets if Nonis gets creative.

JVR - Stasny - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Kulemin - Grabovski - Glencross
Glencross isn't attainable IMO. He's pretty heavily relied upon in the Calgary team.

Stastny however I really wish we could nab from the Avs.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:23 AM
BertCorbeau
Speak my Changuage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
So a couple weeks ago when people were rumouring MacArthur for Bernier deal, I suggested I'd try to make that deal bigger to possibly land Loktionov, who is stuck behind 3 centres. Well just a day or two ago, he asked to be traded. Not a big player but has some potential at C which is an area we could use.

To me, MacA has to be moved at some point.
Well Loktionov wants to be traded because he feels he is NHL ready (which he may or may not be) .. If he's ok with playing in the minors to start with Toronto, I'm good with it .. But really we're not going to stick him at the 4th centre, and Grabo/Kadri and good in their roles right now .. So you'd be looking to replace Bozak, which bears the question can Loktionov be an upgrade over Bozak? Skill wise, possibly, but Loktionov isn't another small centre in an area where the Leafs need to upgrade size

I just don't see the fit right now, though a deal around C-mac, one of our d-man, Bernier and Loktionov does interest me a lot

Old
02-01-2013, 11:24 AM
KlattNazty

If we fall short of one of the top centres in the draft, I really wonder if we will try to parlay some of our talented young D and W's into a comparable 1C. Not that it happens often mind you.

I still support a trade (soon hopefully) of a few guys, and the promotion of other youngsters. Would like another 1st round pick more or less.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:27 AM
BertCorbeau
Speak my Changuage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Glencross isn't attainable IMO. He's pretty heavily relied upon in the Calgary team.

Stastny however I really wish we could nab from the Avs.
With Kadri showing signs of breaking out at centre, and Grabo showing consistency too, I'm becoming a bigger fan of acquiring Statsny for the Leafs .. He's not the biggest centre but he's a better version of Bozak, and has a good history with Kessel that would hopefully stabilize Kessel's production like Lupul has .. Put the three of them together and I think you've got a great scoring line

A top 9 of:

Lupul - Statsny - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kulemin
Frattin - Kadri - Komarov

I think that's very good, also allows good flexibility on the wings too

Old
02-01-2013, 11:29 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:

lol are u out of your mind?

i would trade MAYBE percy for jenner straight up, but it would have to be what one u dont like better finn or percy. Jenner isn't as special as people are making him out to be.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
With Kadri showing signs of breaking out at centre, and Grabo showing consistency too, I'm becoming a bigger fan of acquiring Statsny for the Leafs .. He's not the biggest centre but he's a better version of Bozak, and has a good history with Kessel that would hopefully stabilize Kessel's production like Lupul has .. Put the three of them together and I think you've got a great scoring line

A top 9 of:

Lupul - Statsny - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kulemin
Frattin - Kadri - Komarov

I think that's very good, also allows good flexibility on the wings too
That would be epic for sure, but the price might be too much. I know Mac and someone has to go. I'd love for Paul to be here, been his fan since his rookie season being under Sakic's wing

Old
02-01-2013, 11:33 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post

i would trade MAYBE percy for jenner straight up, but it would have to be what one u dont like better finn or percy. Jenner isn't as special as people are making him out to be.
WJC fame. Everyones a superstar on that team until they play in the NHL.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:38 AM
leugangen

No thanks to Ovi because of price.

No thanks to Stastny.

Yes please to Loktionov.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:45 AM
BertCorbeau
Speak my Changuage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
That would be epic for sure, but the price might be too much. I know Mac and someone has to go. I'd love for Paul to be here, been his fan since his rookie season being under Sakic's wing
I think a deal around Bozak + Franson/Holzer + Mac for Stats + a 3rd might be ok

They need defense, and sending Bozak back would give them a good third line centre behind Duchene and ROR .. MacA gives them some scoring depth and evens out the salary cap a bit

Fact is Statsny's almost in rental territory and I can't see teams willing to put a lot of assets on the table for him .. Not to mention the salary cap is dropping next year, so his cap hit is more negative than anything else. Avs fans highly value him, but a lot of it is based on his seasons from 3+ years ago and blame the coach for his lack of production .. Reality is they can't keep all three centres going forward, and without stable production his value isn't as high as it could be

Old
02-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Leafs Are Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense View Post

This is my proposal nonetheless, what do you guys think?

Morgan Rielly (5th overall 2012)
Tyler Biggs (22nd overall 2011)
Stuart Percy (25th overall 2011)
2013 1st round draft pick

Alex Ovechkin (1st overall 2004)

FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($1.500m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
Alex Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Mikail Grabovski ($5.500m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($0.851m) / Matt Frattin ($0.925m)
Leo Komarov ($1.200m) / Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Mike Brown ($0.737m)
Clarke MacArthur ($3.205m)

DEFENSEMEN
Mike Kostka ($0.600m) / Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m)
John-Michael Liles ($3.875m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($1.250m)
Cody Franson ($1.200m) / Jake Gardiner ($1.117m)

GOALTENDERS
James Riemer ($1.800m)
Ben Scrivens ($0.613m)

BUYOUTS
Darcy Tucker ($1.000m) / Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
Instead of Ovechkin, can we get Backstrom?

Old
02-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Quote:

Deal. Done. Please. Yes.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post

Yes, he really is. Hes a player you win with.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:49 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Yes, he really is. Hes a player you win with.
I forgot everyone who hits is a "winner"

Old
02-01-2013, 12:53 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
I think a deal around Bozak + Franson/Holzer + Mac for Stats + a 3rd might be ok

They need defense, and sending Bozak back would give them a good third line centre behind Duchene and ROR .. MacA gives them some scoring depth and evens out the salary cap a bit

Fact is Statsny's almost in rental territory and I can't see teams willing to put a lot of assets on the table for him .. Not to mention the salary cap is dropping next year, so his cap hit is more negative than anything else. Avs fans highly value him, but a lot of it is based on his seasons from 3+ years ago and blame the coach for his lack of production .. Reality is they can't keep all three centres going forward, and without stable production his value isn't as high as it could be
I'd like that deal, and it sends decent value back to Colorado for Stastny. Adding him to Grabo and Kadri for Center depth would make me a lot more comfortable then it currently stands. We'd have two decent #2 centers and one player in Kadri that could be that or more. With Stastny's contract expiring next year it could give us time to evaluate his play and see if he could be a long term fit with us on a smaller salary.

We'd also have a nice looking top nine of:

Lupol-Stastny-Kessel
Kuli-Grabo-JvR
Fratt-Kadri-Komarov

Old
02-01-2013, 01:07 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
I'd like that deal, and it sends decent value back to Colorado for Stastny. Adding him to Grabo and Kadri for Center depth would make me a lot more comfortable then it currently stands. We'd have two decent #2 centers and one player in Kadri that could be that or more. With Stastny's contract expiring next year it could give us time to evaluate his play and see if he could be a long term fit with us on a smaller salary.

We'd also have a nice looking top nine of:

Lupol-Stastny-Kessel
Kuli-Grabo-JvR
Fratt-Kadri-Komarov
Colorado (at least their fans) don't see any value in those players. They will respond with "Ugh, quantity for quality". But in the real world, that really is a good deal for both teams.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:07 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

gotta keep opening slots for the prospects (when theyre ready):

LUPUL ------ KESSEL
JVR KADRI FRATTIN
KULEMIN GRABOVSKY ASHTON
ORR COLBORNE KOMAROV

bozak mccarthur are here on borrowed time
if theres a way to package them with a D for a #1 C it must be done

Old
02-01-2013, 01:14 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
gotta keep opening slots for the prospects:

LUPUL ------ KESSEL
JVR KADRI FRATTIN
KULEMIN GRABOVSKY ASHTON
ORR COLBORNE KOMAROV

bozak mccarthur are here on borrowed time
if theres a way to package them with a D for a #1 C it must be done
I don't want prospects on the 4th line unless we are only expecting them to be 4th liners in the future

JVR-x-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Frattin
Kulemin/Ross-Bozak-Biggs/Ashton
Komarov-McClemment-D'Amigo/Ryan/Devane/Broll

Love Grabo, but I don't see him being here long-term even though he's signed to a long contract. It does depend on what Nonis can do about #1 C hole and if he keeps Bozak though.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
I forgot everyone who hits is a "winner"
If that's the case, we currently have a lot of "losers" on our team.

Jenner has Mike Richards written all over him. I'd trade Colborne and Percy for him in a heartbeat.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:17 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
If that's the case, we currently have a lot of "losers" on our team.

Jenner has Mike Richards written all over him. I'd trade Colborne and Percy for him in a heartbeat.
Oh me too, just don't get how he's a player you "Win" with

Closed Thread