HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Canes recall Nodl, waive Boychuk (claimed by Pittsburgh)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2013, 09:05 AM
  #201
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady
 
What the Faulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 25,936
vCash: 500
If any of you sit in 124 or 127 (I forget which), it's probably my dad. He REALLY hates Pitkanen for some reason.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:18 AM
  #202
SweetStormRising
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dry View Post
I think everybody sits around these people. Nothing beats the commentary from a fan who he has wronged by not smiling at them at the grocery store one time 3 years ago. I'd be shocked if I ever heard a positive Joni comment to be honest.

It's ok Pitkanen, I think you're swell.
My son and I rode an elevator with Joni, his wife and new baby during the lockout. You could tell he was a really shy personality. My son thought his baby was so cute and was cooing at her and Joni was smiling and blushing. My son didn't realize who it was and I pretended not to know. He wasn't rude at all!

SweetStormRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:28 AM
  #203
Novacane
My Hero
 
Novacane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 17,817
vCash: 500
I sit in 124. Im the guy *****ing about Corvo.

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:38 AM
  #204
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor
 
garnetpalmetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
I'd suggest looking at the rest of the league did during that time period. This kind of result isn't exactly out of the ordinary.
To examine what you're saying here's what the rest of our division's first round picks have looked like (as well as two other teams, let's say Pittsburgh and Vancouver)

Atlanta/Winnipeg - 7/12 (58.3%) first rounders still in system
2002 - Kari Lehtonen TRADED
Jim Slater*
2003 - Braydon Coburn TRADED
2004 - Boris Valabik TRADED
2005 - Alex Bourret TRADED
2006 - Bryan Little*
2007 - TRADED PICK
2008 - Zach Bogosian*
Daultan Leveille UFA
2009 - Evander Kane*
2010 - Aleksander Burmistrov*
2011 - Mark Scheifele*
2012 - Jacob Trouba*

Florida - 7/13 (53.8%) first rounders still in system
2002 - Jay Bouwmeester TRADED
2003 - Nathan Horton TRADED
Anthony Stewart UFA
2004 - Rotislav Olesz TRADED
2005 - Kenndal McArdle TRADED
2006 - Michael Frolik TRADED
2007 - Keaton Ellerby*
2008 - TRADED PICK
2009 - Dmitri Kulikov*
2010 - Erik Gudbranson*
Nick Bjugstad*
Quinton Howden*
2011 - Jonathan Huberdeau*
2012 - Mike Matheson*

Tampa - 7/10 (70%) first rounders still in system
2002 - TRADED PICK
2003 - TRADED PICK
2004 - Andy Rogers TRADED
2005 - Vladimir Mihalik UFA
2006 - Riku Helenius*
2007 - TRADED PICK
2008 - Steven Stamkos*
2009 - Victor Hedman*
Carter Ashton TRADED
2010 - Brett Connolly*
2011 - Vladislav Namestnikov*
2012 - Slater Koekkoek*
Andrei Vasilevski*

Washington 10/18 (55.5%) first rounders still in system
2002 - Steve Eminger TRADED
Alexander Semin UFA
Boyd Gordon UFA
2003 - Eric Fehr TRADED (returned as UFA)
2004 - Alexander Ovechkin*
Jeff Schultz*
Mike Green*
2005 - Sasha Pokulok UFA
Joe Finley UFA
2006 - Nicklas Backstrom*
Semyon Varlamov TRADED
2007 - Karl Alzner*
2008 - Anton Gustafsson CONTRACT SUSPENDED
John Carlson*
2009 - Marcus Johansson*
2010 - Evgeny Kuznetsov*
2011 - TRADED PICK
2012 - Filip Forsberg*
Tom Wilson*

Pittsburgh - 8/11 (72.7%) first rounders still in system
2002 - Ryan Whitney TRADED
2003 - Marc-Andre Fleury*
2004 - Evgeni Malkin*
2005 -Sidney Crosby*
2006 - Jordan Staal TRADED
2007 - Angelo Esposito TRADED
2008 - TRADED PICK
2009 - Simon Despres*
2010 - Beau Bennett*
2011 - Joe Morrow*
2012 - Derrick Pouliot*
Olli Maatta*

Vancouver - 5/9 (55.5%) first rounders still in system
2002 - TRADED PICK
2003 - Ryan Kesler*
2004 - Cory Schneider*
2005 - Luc Bourdon DECEASED
2006 - Michael Grabner TRADED
2007 - Patrick White TRADED
2008 - Cody Hodgson TRADED
2009 - Jordan Schroeder*
2010 - TRADED PICK
2011 - Nicklas Jensen*
2012 - Brendan Gaunce*

So on the face of it, that we still have 4/9 (44.4%) of our first rounders does show less yield over the last 11 drafts, but given the size of some of these samples, I suspect the situation isn't quite as dire as some would imagine. Interesting, though, that the only members of the class of 2002 still with their original teams are Slater and Ward. I'd have to spend more time doing numbers throughout the whole League sometime for funsies.


Last edited by garnetpalmetto: 02-01-2013 at 09:53 AM.
garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:02 AM
  #205
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov
 
Anton Dubinchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,638
vCash: 4605
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Interesting, though, that the only members of the class of 2002 still with their original teams are Slater and Ward. I'd have to spend more time doing numbers throughout the whole League sometime for funsies.
PMB's still with the Wild, as well...

And obviously that's just the first round. But yeah, agreed, 3 out of 30 11 years later is interesting, wonder how that compares.

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:06 AM
  #206
Joe McGrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
To examine what you're saying here's what the rest of our division's first round picks have looked like (as well as two other teams, let's say Pittsburgh and Vancouver)

Atlanta/Winnipeg - 7/12 (58.3%) first rounders still in system
2002 - Kari Lehtonen TRADED
Jim Slater*
2003 - Braydon Coburn TRADED
2004 - Boris Valabik TRADED
2005 - Alex Bourret TRADED
2006 - Bryan Little*
2007 - TRADED PICK
2008 - Zach Bogosian*
Daultan Leveille UFA
2009 - Evander Kane*
2010 - Aleksander Burmistrov*
2011 - Mark Scheifele*
2012 - Jacob Trouba*

Florida - 7/13 (53.8%) first rounders still in system
2002 - Jay Bouwmeester TRADED
2003 - Nathan Horton TRADED
Anthony Stewart UFA
2004 - Rotislav Olesz TRADED
2005 - Kenndal McArdle TRADED
2006 - Michael Frolik TRADED
2007 - Keaton Ellerby*
2008 - TRADED PICK
2009 - Dmitri Kulikov*
2010 - Erik Gudbranson*
Nick Bjugstad*
Quinton Howden*
2011 - Jonathan Huberdeau*
2012 - Mike Matheson*

Tampa - 7/10 (70%) first rounders still in system
2002 - TRADED PICK
2003 - TRADED PICK
2004 - Andy Rogers TRADED
2005 - Vladimir Mihalik UFA
2006 - Riku Helenius*
2007 - TRADED PICK
2008 - Steven Stamkos*
2009 - Victor Hedman*
Carter Ashton TRADED
2010 - Brett Connolly*
2011 - Vladislav Namestnikov*
2012 - Slater Koekkoek*
Andrei Vasilevski*

Washington 10/18 (55.5%) first rounders still in system
2002 - Steve Eminger TRADED
Alexander Semin UFA
Boyd Gordon UFA
2003 - Eric Fehr TRADED (returned as UFA)
2004 - Alexander Ovechkin*
Jeff Schultz*
Mike Green*
2005 - Sasha Pokulok UFA
Joe Finley UFA
2006 - Nicklas Backstrom*
Semyon Varlamov TRADED
2007 - Karl Alzner*
2008 - Anton Gustafsson CONTRACT SUSPENDED
John Carlson*
2009 - Marcus Johansson*
2010 - Evgeny Kuznetsov*
2011 - TRADED PICK
2012 - Filip Forsberg*
Tom Wilson*

Pittsburgh - 8/11 (72.7%) first rounders still in system
2002 - Ryan Whitney TRADED
2003 - Marc-Andre Fleury*
2004 - Evgeni Malkin*
2005 -Sidney Crosby*
2006 - Jordan Staal TRADED
2007 - Angelo Esposito TRADED
2008 - TRADED PICK
2009 - Simon Despres*
2010 - Beau Bennett*
2011 - Joe Morrow*
2012 - Derrick Pouliot*
Olli Maatta*

Vancouver - 5/9 (55.5%) first rounders still in system
2002 - TRADED PICK
2003 - Ryan Kesler*
2004 - Cory Schneider*
2005 - Luc Bourdon DECEASED
2006 - Michael Grabner TRADED
2007 - Patrick White TRADED
2008 - Cody Hodgson TRADED
2009 - Jordan Schroeder*
2010 - TRADED PICK
2011 - Nicklas Jensen*
2012 - Brendan Gaunce*

So on the face of it, that we still have 4/9 (44.4%) of our first rounders does show less yield over the last 11 drafts, but given the size of some of these samples, I suspect the situation isn't quite as dire as some would imagine. Interesting, though, that the only members of the class of 2002 still with their original teams are Slater and Ward. I'd have to spend more time doing numbers throughout the whole League sometime for funsies.
The other thing to consider with regards to some of this is timing. Every other team had a 2012 pick so that's a strike against the Hurricanes immediately which doesn't help matters at all. The Flyers and Bruins were two teams I glanced at who haven't had a ton of 1st round success still in the system. The Bruins have done all their damage in the 2nd round (Bergeron, Marchand,Lucic, and I think Krecji)

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:12 AM
  #207
Joe McGrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
PMB's still with the Wild, as well...

And obviously that's just the first round. But yeah, agreed, 3 out of 30 11 years later is interesting, wonder how that compares.
2001: 4
2000: 3
1999: Sedins
1998: Lecavallier

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:24 AM
  #208
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor
 
garnetpalmetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
The other thing to consider with regards to some of this is timing. Every other team had a 2012 pick so that's a strike against the Hurricanes immediately which doesn't help matters at all. The Flyers and Bruins were two teams I glanced at who haven't had a ton of 1st round success still in the system. The Bruins have done all their damage in the 2nd round (Bergeron, Marchand,Lucic, and I think Krecji)
Exactly - also JR has a tendency to not trade for additional first round picks, unlike, say, GMGM. Those additional picks do help water down the stats in instances of players not continuing in the system. If, for instance, Gustafsson was the only player the Caps drafted in '08, they'd have a 0% yield on that year. With Carlson also being drafted though - tada, 50% yield.

It'd be a monster of a project but it would be interesting to track all teams draft yield over the last decade through different rounds of the draft and for the draft overall.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:35 AM
  #209
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!
 
Sasha Cares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Island of Misfit Toy
Posts: 9,474
vCash: 500
I used to hate Joni on this team. If I can come around, anyone can. Now I'd still trade him for a #2/3 stay at home D. But that's simply because of Faulks development and McBain and Murphy coming along over the next few years.

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
  #210
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman
 
PaulProteus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
I think people would love to turn on Skinner. You could see everyone licking their chops when he didn't play in the AHL during the lockout. I think that's the preferred state. Rooting for the professional athletes to fail, especially if we can insinuate they have poor character. (Lazy, uncommitted, 'low hockey iq')
I just personally don't see this happening if by people you mean the folks who attend hockey games at PNC or follow the Hurricanes. If you mean here on these boards, I'm not so sure any player is safe, Skinner included.

The way that kid smiles and blushes and looks at his feet when he's in front of a camera absolutely makes young and old alike swoon. He could, in fact, blatantly slew foot someone nightly and barely a word would be said.

At the games I'm actually pretty tough on Skinner, much to the dismay of everyone who sits around me. Being any more critical than an occasional "WTF Skinner?" -- let alone disliking him -- would probably get you ejected by PNC staff. (I'm exaggerating, naturally.)

I'm not tough on him because I "don't like" him, but because his maturity has come in fits and starts IMO, to the detriment of his actual hockey playing. It's a situation which I attribute to playing on relatively very poor teams in his young NHL career.

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:01 AM
  #211
TheBigKahuna
Registered User
 
TheBigKahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canes Country
Posts: 2,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dry View Post
I think everybody sits around these people. Nothing beats the commentary from a fan who he has wronged by not smiling at them at the grocery store one time 3 years ago. I'd be shocked if I ever heard a positive Joni comment to be honest.

It's ok Pitkanen, I think you're swell.

He has some serious haters in 126.

I don't get it...I guess you don't like a guy and just find fault in everything from boring interviews with Tripp Tracy, to his sloth like skating (which is completely untrue).

I've met Joni, and found him to be quite nice, and not at all the recluse or introvert that people make him out to be. I felt just the opposite about him after our encounter. I also felt like Ruutu was very friendly and engaging when I met him. He's good with the "small talk" even though English isn't his first language. But you don't get "Ruutu is an ass" comments as much from people like you do about Pitkanen. Semin...not so much.

TheBigKahuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:05 AM
  #212
Head Goose
Doing Less Better
 
Head Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Raleigh
Country: United States
Posts: 6,285
vCash: 500
I've heard Corvo and Semin complaints to this point so far in the season up in 332. Corvo complaints are obvious, but the Semin complaints are mainly because of his "disinterested" look on plays when he isn't scoring, combined with his contract.

Head Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:06 AM
  #213
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminal Velocity View Post
I used to hate Joni on this team. If I can come around, anyone can. Now I'd still trade him for a #2/3 stay at home D. But that's simply because of Faulks development and McBain and Murphy coming along over the next few years.
I just have this feeling that Murphy will never play a game in a Canes uniform.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:09 AM
  #214
Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,811
vCash: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
I've heard Corvo and Semin complaints to this point so far in the season up in 332. Corvo complaints are obvious, but the Semin complaints are mainly because of his "disinterested" look on plays when he isn't scoring, combined with his contract.
The only reason to be upset about his contract is that it ends after this season.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:10 AM
  #215
TheBigKahuna
Registered User
 
TheBigKahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canes Country
Posts: 2,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I just have this feeling that Murphy will never play a game in a Canes uniform.
I can see him being part of a trade, either before the deadline if the Canes need a piece to make a run, or over the summer to beef up the defense.

TheBigKahuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:10 AM
  #216
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov
 
Anton Dubinchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,638
vCash: 4605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I just have this feeling that Murphy will never play a game in a Canes uniform.
I have a feeling he'll never be a regular. Keep in mind that Boychuk played 70... Unless you think he'll be trade bait for someone, but that's selling pretty low if you ask me.

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:21 AM
  #217
bb99
Registered User
 
bb99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 476
vCash: 50
I still can't believe Boychuk has played 70 NHL games.

bb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:28 AM
  #218
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov
 
Anton Dubinchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,638
vCash: 4605
Wait but Murphy goes to Charlotte next year, right? So as long as we don't trade him at the deadline or over the summer I'm pretty sure he suits up for us at least once, even as just a fill-in.

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:35 AM
  #219
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
I have a feeling he'll never be a regular. Keep in mind that Boychuk played 70... Unless you think he'll be trade bait for someone, but that's selling pretty low if you ask me.
Forwards are a bit different as they develop faster and can contribute to the NHL faster IMO.

Murphy doesn't look like he's anywhere near being NHL ready to me and I'm just not sure JR is willing to wait. But you are probably right, JR may force it even if he isn't ready.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:40 AM
  #220
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov
 
Anton Dubinchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,638
vCash: 4605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Forwards are a bit different as they develop faster and can contribute to the NHL faster IMO.

Murphy doesn't look like he's anywhere near being NHL ready to me and I'm just not sure JR is willing to wait. But you are probably right, JR may force it even if he isn't ready.
No doubt, I was comparing him to Boychuk in that they both stuck on the team out of their first camp. After that, he's got a realistic chance to play in any subsequent season, no matter how unready he is. JR's thinking is that he was good enough at one point, and he's not really a WORSE hockey player. He stuck in camp last year, he was the last D cut (and only, I know) this year, and once we've got him at our disposal in Charlotte he'll be called up frequently, I'd guess.

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:58 AM
  #221
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
No doubt, I was comparing him to Boychuk in that they both stuck on the team out of their first camp. After that, he's got a realistic chance to play in any subsequent season, no matter how unready he is. JR's thinking is that he was good enough at one point, and he's not really a WORSE hockey player. He stuck in camp last year, he was the last D cut (and only, I know) this year, and once we've got him at our disposal in Charlotte he'll be called up frequently, I'd guess.

That's not exactly a fair assessment. Boychuk injured a wrist and wasn't able to fully participate in his first camp so the Canes wanted to give him a couple of games before sending him back to Juniors. It's not like he made the team based on performance out of his first camp.

I'm not sure what they were trying to accomplish with Murphy. IMO, he didn't stick because he was an NHL ready player (or close to it). If he was, they would have snuck him in for at least 1 game, especially when Faulk was sent down after 3 games. When the eventually sent him back to Kitchener, the comments were they wanted him to spend time with NHL practices, NHL trainers, etc..so he get's a feel for what it will be like. To me that sounds like giving the kid the feel of the NHL, but he wasn't close to being ready.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:01 PM
  #222
TheBigKahuna
Registered User
 
TheBigKahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canes Country
Posts: 2,793
vCash: 500
I think the Canes are waiting for Murphy to hit his puberty growth spurt.

TheBigKahuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:41 PM
  #223
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman
 
PaulProteus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
It's tough to let a nice smile get away.

Quote:
Shelly Anderson @pgshelly
Boychuk all smiles after first practice with #Penguins. "I feel like I can bring some tenacity" playing with premier players.

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:42 PM
  #224
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
Boychuk died and went to hockey heaven.

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
Per Bylsma, Boychuk will be alongside Malkin and Neal Saturday vs. Devils

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:46 PM
  #225
Head Goose
Doing Less Better
 
Head Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Raleigh
Country: United States
Posts: 6,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Boychuk died and went to hockey heaven.

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
Per Bylsma, Boychuk will be alongside Malkin and Neal Saturday vs. Devils
I expect 0 points and a -2 for Boychuk while Malkin and Neal both have 3 points and a +3. Not sure how it'll happen, but it will. Oh, and the -2 is in a 5-2 win.

Head Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.