HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phil Kessel Discussion Thread. (no goals as of Feb 4, 2013)

View Poll Results: kessel goals, 15 over or under, this year
over 86 51.50%
under 81 48.50%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2013, 12:16 PM
  #76
Alflives
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
OK let them, that leaves Kessel wide open to do as he pleases.
Hopefully he does, because the other lines will produce less.

Alflives is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:19 PM
  #77
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post
No but there is no need to panic like a jackass.
I have to ask, would that be the same kind of jackass that was calling a 50g,100p MVP season , during his hot start last year?

Is the knife allowed to cut both ways?

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:19 PM
  #78
Ari91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Feel bad for the guy because he's actually playing really well. His lack of goals to this point I would say is a matter of being unlucky. He's working hard every shift and even committing more to his defensive game. He's still contributing offensively in ways that other players on the team are reaping the benefits for in the goals column. He just has to continue doing the little things and with time his luck will change. I'm sure he's frustrated to some degree, but it's nice to see that he's responding in other areas of his game rather than becoming completely invisible on the ice just because he can't find the back of the net. He's still a dangerous offensive threat on the ice and opposing teams haven't forgotten that just because he has 0 goals right now.

Ari91 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:19 PM
  #79
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Hopefully he does, because the other lines will produce less.
We only need two lines going at a time, were scoring at a pretty good rate, if grabovskis line production is halted in favour of Kessels then there will be little to no net change as long as Kadris line is still producing.

The Podium is online now  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:21 PM
  #80
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats
 
leafs1habs0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
He's a complimentary player, not a piece to build around - now getting Getz and Perry here next season.. that's a different story!

(BTW, was that Kess who missed an empty net last night??)

leafs1habs0 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:26 PM
  #81
Alflives
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
We only need two lines going at a time, were scoring at a pretty good rate, if grabovskis line production is halted in favour of Kessels then there will be little to no net change as long as Kadris line is still producing.
This Boston game will be the tell-tale sign of where Kessel is headed.

Alflives is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:29 PM
  #82
DaveT83*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Bold word is team, it's spelled T-E-A-M, not K-E-S-S-E-L.

Man even Crosby didn't get his team into the playoffs his first season and they had a better team than us. It's okay to hate a player or dislike a player but it's pretty dumb to ignore his good work.
Sure the team has glaring defecienices we all know that.

Who better to help fill those organizational needs - then a goal scorer-who isn't scoring-and can command top dollar on the open market. A guy who has made it painfully obvious that he is nothing more than a solid complimentary piece (as long as he has X-Line mate ... X-Playing time ... X-responsibilites)

Does it make more sense to trade Kadri? Frattin? Gardner? Reilly? 1st Rounders instead?

Or as you all suggest - we keep him - we cross our fingers and hope that someday the problems we have will simply fix themselves and/or we can instantly get better by throwing money/assets at players like Luongo. Rinse.Repeat. This is the plan to get better?

DaveT83* is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:32 PM
  #83
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeParez View Post
Kessel usually has a mid-season slump - which would happen around this time. It just so happens that the would-be mid season is the start of the shortened season.
Except I wouldn't necessarily call this stretch of games a slump. Hes playing extremely well, except for the one game against the Rangers, and has been buzzing around the net making plays. The pucks just aren't going in for him.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:33 PM
  #84
Felstead
Boss Status
 
Felstead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,028
vCash: 500
Carlyle is transforming his game into something we haven't seen before, it still early but he is playing much more responsible in both ends of the ice, he's going into dirty areas, bein tossed around and still working hard.

He's taking better shots now than when we was at the beginning of the year, just hasn't gotten lucky yet. I'm not concerned, I think it's just a matter of time now.

Felstead is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:40 PM
  #85
Syn3rgetic
Boats the Burn
 
Syn3rgetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Markham
Posts: 337
vCash: 500
Kessel has been playing the best hockey as a Leaf. You see him give 110% every night. That fact that he's not scoring goals is pure bad luck. He will score 15 this season and that's only because of bad luck. Should be somewhere around 20 if not for this stretch. He's not giving up pucks, not being lazy coming back on the backcheck; he's been playing great. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: I'm glad we have people who share the same point of view. People like Cox shouldn't be allowed to write for Toronto. Go to Vancouver or something.

Syn3rgetic is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:43 PM
  #86
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs1habs0 View Post
He's a complimentary player, not a piece to build around - now getting Getz and Perry here next season.. that's a different story!

(BTW, was that Kess who missed an empty net last night??)
Line 1: Joffery Lupul _ Ryan Getzlaf _ Phil Kessel

Give Getzlaf 56M over 7 years. It will be worth it.


marty111 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:44 PM
  #87
egd27
#freethebigpicture
 
egd27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
If you watched hockey other than the TML you would realize that what you're referring too - is not an isolated/unique situation that pertains only to Phil Kessel and the Toronto Maple Leafs.

EVERY SINGLE GOOD PLAYER IN THE NHL GETS MATCHED UP AGAINST - yet they can all still find a way to contribute - Crosby can still find a way? Perry still finds a way? Stamkos still finds a way? The list goes on and on ...
Here's last year's list.

Player GP G A P
1 Evgeni Malkin 75 50 59 109
2 Steven Stamkos 82 60 37 97
3 Claude Giroux 77 28 65 93
4 Jason Spezza 80 34 50 84
5 Ilya Kovalchuk 77 37 46 83
6 Phil Kessel 82 37 45 82
7 James Neal 80 40 41 81
8 John Tavares 82 31 50 81
9 Henrik Sedin 82 14 67 81
10 Patrik Elias 81 26 52 78
11 Erik Karlsson 81 19 59 78
12 Marian Hossa 81 29 48 77
13 Ray Whitney 82 24 53 77
14 Joe Thornton 82 18 59 77
15 Marian Gaborik 82 41 35 76
16 Jordan Eberle 78 34 42 76
17 Anze Kopitar 82 25 51 76
18 Martin St Louis 77 25 49 74
19 Jason Pominville 82 30 43 73
20 Loui Eriksson 82 26 45 71
21 Eric Staal 82 24 46 70
22 Matt Moulson 82 36 33 69
23 Patrick Sharp 74 33 36 69
24 Zach Parise 82 31 38 69
25 Henrik Zetterberg 82 22 47 69

Keep trying though, one day you might get one right.

egd27 is online now  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:47 PM
  #88
Hockey Crazy
Registered User
 
Hockey Crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
I think you all are really starting to reach and its quite sad "Oh Phil's getting so many shots its great" "Oh I saw Phil go in the corner once."

Are the expectations so low that Phil Kessel can do what 99.9% of NHL players are required to do and its considered a monumental victory?

Like Burke - get him on the next plane out of here. not scoring is just putting salt on the Sequin/Hamilton wound.
I'm guessing you wanted Sundin gone too? 5 years now and we still haven't found a center to replace him. Kessel bring skills that none of our other forwards have... you don't appreciate it until it's gone.

I would trade Kessel for Perry if Anahiem feels that they won't be able to sign him. That's about it.

Hockey Crazy is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:49 PM
  #89
egd27
#freethebigpicture
 
egd27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
If Kessel continues to not score then the other team's top D will play against the other players you mentioned. That's exactly why he must score to be an effective player. He occupies the other teams' top D.
C'mon now, think it through.....what happens when the other team's top D stop playing against Kessel?

egd27 is online now  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:50 PM
  #90
ACC1224
Steelers 9-5
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: vs KC
Posts: 29,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn3rgetic View Post
Kessel has been playing the best hockey as a Leaf. You see him give 110% every night. That fact that he's not scoring goals is pure bad luck. He will score 15 this season and that's only because of bad luck. Should be somewhere around 20 if not for this stretch. He's not giving up pucks, not being lazy coming back on the backcheck; he's been playing great. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: I'm glad we have people who share the same point of view. People like Cox shouldn't be allowed to write for Toronto. Go to Vancouver or something.
Cox is like some here. It's fine to chuckle to yourself at the stupidity but it's best not to acknowledge it.

ACC1224 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:52 PM
  #91
Syn3rgetic
Boats the Burn
 
Syn3rgetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Markham
Posts: 337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
I think you all are really starting to reach and its quite sad "Oh Phil's getting so many shots its great" "Oh I saw Phil go in the corner once."

Are the expectations so low that Phil Kessel can do what 99.9% of NHL players are required to do and its considered a monumental victory?

Like Burke - get him on the next plane out of here. not scoring is just putting salt on the Sequin/Hamilton wound.
You're missing the point here. He's improved overall as a player with Carlyle at the helm. Last year under Wilson's reign, when he didn't score, he didn't do ANYTHING. You barely noticed him on the ice.

This year you see him everywhere. You see him behind the net, in front of the net, on the point, at the hash, back checking, forechecking. He's doing everything right, that stats just aren't showing it.

Syn3rgetic is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:53 PM
  #92
Syn3rgetic
Boats the Burn
 
Syn3rgetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Markham
Posts: 337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Cox is like some here. It's fine to chuckle to yourself at the stupidity but it's best not to acknowledge it.
Quote of the day.

Syn3rgetic is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:58 PM
  #93
Jerkini
Registered User
 
Jerkini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
Line 1: Joffery Lupul _ Ryan Getzlaf _ Phil Kessel

Give Getzlaf 56M over 7 years. It will be worth it.

He'll be probably get that easily from Anaheim. If we want to show him and his wife how committed we are, we need to blow them away. $77-89.6m would get his attention.

Jerkini is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:58 PM
  #94
egd27
#freethebigpicture
 
egd27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs1habs0 View Post
He's a complimentary player, not a piece to build around - now getting Getz and Perry here next season.. that's a different story!

(BTW, was that Kess who missed an empty net last night??)
I've probably read this at least a hundred times or more on these boards. Does it really mean anything or is it just another overused cliche from armchair GM's?

egd27 is online now  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:06 PM
  #95
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Kessel will go 10 games without a goal and that is significant in an 82 game season (let alone a short one).

Of course he's going to score, but he's really putting his career and the new GM into a bad situation.

ForSpareParts* is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:08 PM
  #96
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Sure the team has glaring defecienices we all know that.

Who better to help fill those organizational needs - then a goal scorer-who isn't scoring-and can command top dollar on the open market. A guy who has made it painfully obvious that he is nothing more than a solid complimentary piece (as long as he has X-Line mate ... X-Playing time ... X-responsibilites)

Does it make more sense to trade Kadri? Frattin? Gardner? Reilly? 1st Rounders instead?

Or as you all suggest - we keep him - we cross our fingers and hope that someday the problems we have will simply fix themselves and/or we can instantly get better by throwing money/assets at players like Luongo. Rinse.Repeat. This is the plan to get better?
Why does anyone need to be dealt? Our only holes are a #1 C, #1 G and #2D. Granted those are tough to fill but right now we have internal players with the potential to fill it. Kadri can be that #1, Rielly can be more than a #2 and Reimer can be that #1. This team is being built like Boston and St.Louis rather than Philly and Pittsburgh. Talent depth with little elite talent. When every line and every player contributes in a collaborative effort, the results are sometimes more effective than 2 generational players, and so far that's the direction this team is heading.

The Podium is online now  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:09 PM
  #97
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats
 
leafs1habs0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
I've probably read this at least a hundred times or more on these boards. Does it really mean anything or is it just another overused cliche from armchair GM's?
You hear it a lot because it's true. You don't build teams around guys like Kessel. You add pieces like him - to an already-established team - to take you over the top. It was unfair bringing him in expecting him to be our saviour because we gave up so much for him. Granted, he's passed with flying colours with his production, but it's not a cliche.

leafs1habs0 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:11 PM
  #98
Small Brain Presence
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
I think you all are really starting to reach and its quite sad "Oh Phil's getting so many shots its great" "Oh I saw Phil go in the corner once."

Are the expectations so low that Phil Kessel can do what 99.9% of NHL players are required to do and its considered a monumental victory?

Like Burke - get him on the next plane out of here. not scoring is just putting salt on the Sequin/Hamilton wound.
Is that generational talent and future sure fire Hall of Famer Tyler Seguin, who this year has 3 assists and one all-important empty net power play goal?

Small Brain Presence is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:11 PM
  #99
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats
 
leafs1habs0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClements New A View Post
Kessel will go 10 games without a goal and that is significant in an 82 game season (let alone a short one).

Of course he's going to score, but he's really putting his career and the new GM into a bad situation.
Exactly.

10 games in a 82-game season is one thing, however 10 games in a 48-game season is another.

I, like most, think he will break out anytime now, but to say it's not a little bit disconcerting, is being short-sighted.

leafs1habs0 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:11 PM
  #100
Leafski
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
donuts are for kadri, cookies are for kessel.
Incorrect, from a number of encounters i'm fairly certain that Kessel's snack of choice are chips. Particularily chips from Chipotles. I've seen him at the Chipotles on Yonge and Dundas no less than 5 times in the last year leaving with a Burrito and a massive bag of chips.

Leafski is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.