HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais Discussion (Slow Start & Contact Talk)

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Halifaxhab*

vCash: 500
So why trade anyone right now? Why not just put DD on the PP and cut back some 5 on 5 time and see what he does? Also, why not juggle up some lines, move him and Eller around?

Trades, not neccessary at this point IMO. And bashing players on the team? come on now

Old
02-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
So why trade anyone right now? Why not just put DD on the PP and cut back some 5 on 5 time and see what he does? Also, why not juggle up some lines, move him and Eller around?

Trades, not neccessary at this point IMO. And bashing players on the team? come on now
I agree. Trades are not necessary until every option has been exhausted. If either one of Eller or Desharnais get traded before every trying them at different positions, it would be a dumb move.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:

There's no need for a trade. DD is probably at his lowest value at the moment since entering the league, so it would be bad asset management.

That being said, nothing wrong with discussing players on the team, especially their on ice performances.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:26 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
There's no need for a trade. DD is probably at his lowest value at the moment since entering the league, so it would be bad asset management.

That being said, nothing wrong with discussing players on the team, especially their on ice performances.
DD's value has probably never been very high in GM's mind..

Old
02-01-2013, 11:29 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
We may be turning the corner towards contention but that doesn't mean we are any where near contention. DD has been weak for 6 games. We have way more players who have been weak for a lot longer than that.
This has nothing to do with making excuses. The fact of the matter is, we don't have too many good choices right now, and it's only been 6 games. What can we do? Trade DD? Well, that would mean trading last years #1 C for peanuts because he struggled for 6 games. Does that make sense? Err...no. Make Eller C and move DD to the wing? Err...Eller's been struggling for now 150+ games, let alone how many games he played this year, what is the likelihood of that working? ... So...do we just get rid of DD? For nothing? After 6 games? Yeah, sounds like a sound solution to me!
No excuses!
I never suggested we dump DD. I love they guy. But I've decided this year not to tolerate Habs players who have slumps and are inconsistent. First 6 games, last 6 games, I don't care. 20 ****ing years without a cup. I've had enough.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
DD's value has probably never been very high in GM's mind..
Probably not. He's definitely more of a home grown project. (there's a short joke in there somewhere).

I still think he can produce, but I'm not sure certain people should continue to call him a 1st line center.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:38 AM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You do not trade Eller till you really know what he's made of. We don't. And you will not get a return similar to what we acquired him for by the way.....DD slow start is just that....a slow start. But time to put everything in context. That line isn't the first anymore. As of now, and without Pacioretty, DD is my 3rd line. Which mean that I would try to add Armstrong with DD and Cole. And have Eller centering White and Moen on the 4th.
It seems to me that line combos and ice time is dictated by how you practise. We don't see the practises, so it's hard for us to determine how much of a chance Eller has been given. Therrien has already said that he's disappointed with his intensity and commitment. That' doesn't sound very good to me.

Let me be clear on something: I like Eller. I've always defended him and still think he can be a useful player. What bothers me are the reports on his "hockey sense issues" (McGuire) and now his intensity.

Since Gomez pooped the bed last year, he should've seized the opportunity and brought it up a notch. Instead, he's been beat out twice at the center position: once by DD and now Galchenyuk. I'm always hopeful when it comes to Lars - especially considering the talent and size he brings - but I think he's running out of time in MTL.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:40 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I must have struck a nerve, since I wasn't even talking to you. I think your response to my general comment reveals plenty about your position on the subject (not to mention your maturity).
I am mature. I was also drunk.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Habcentric

Really to me the only reason i see trading a player is if he is an obvious cancer in the locker room ( DD is not ), you get a deal you cant refuse ( as far as i know we havent ), or its trade deadline and you are way out of a playoff spot and looking to get some good picks / prospects. Sometimes just a simple line juggle / sit out a few games is needed to boost a players drive or confidence.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:45 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
It's no wonder almost all good free agents want nothing to do with Montreal or Toronto. Top coaches or GMs for the matter. The number of loud and neurotic "fans" who trash a center who essentially tied for the team in most points and almost had the best +/- on the team last year on the basis of six games, changed linemates and no training camp is unreal. I can only imagine the clamor if he went 10 games with two assists

Since 1986, two of the wealthiest and most storied franchises have a whopping one Stanley Cup between them. That's 50 years of opportunity for those who are counting. 38 years combined since the last Cup. When players get turned on after an incredibly small sample and under conditions which have changed for them, other players, coaches and managers look at that and shake their heads.

Enjoy your history. That's about all you'll have with the unbelievable childish attitudes that such a significant number of the fans have. The Cup will probably be skated around the ice one of the hockey meccas of Nashville or Columbus before it does again in Toronto or Montreal.
You've got it exactly wrong. No one *****ed when we had good players and won cups. Now we ***** because we have **** players and don't win cups.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:49 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:

Totally fine by that. It just gets annoying when some are dead fast in thinking DD is a waste of space after 6 games, should be traded, sent to the minors, or those that believe Eller would save the day by replacing DD as C...again after 6 games.

Personally I don't see DD as a 1st line C specially long term. Gally has that spot at least long term. Nor 2nd C which should go to Plek. But for now, I don't mind seeing DD as 1st...that's assuming DD picks it up. If not, no problem, looks like Plek is good to become 1st C again which is comforting. Either player is fine short term.
Eller, well, either we give up the idea of him being an offensive C or he needs to put it all together. Still, he's young so has time but it's not looking too too promising.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:51 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I am mature. I was also drunk.
Lol, not sure if those two goes together
Ugg, and I need to join you in the latter...been too long...

Old
02-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
You've got it exactly wrong. No one *****ed when we had good players and won cups. Now we ***** because we have **** players and don't win cups.
Frankly that rant you are quoting made little to no sense, I suspect that's why it was mostly ignored.

We are going to be usurped by Columbus because we are discussing Desharnais on ice woes?

Talk about neurotic and ironic considering the rant.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:53 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
You can see now by the way that Desharnais is playing that he is lacking confidence and thinking way too much.

I think he will be fine but he has to have something go right for him first. As long as he keeps working hard, and avoids lazy penalties, I have patience for him.
I don't have patience for him. I don't have patience for any under performing player guys here think should be on the Habs during our cup window the next 3-5 years. I expect them to perform.

This is gonna be my attitude this year. Sorry if it pisses guys off, it is not personal.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:55 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
I never suggested we dump DD. I love they guy. But I've decided this year not to tolerate Habs players who have slumps and are inconsistent. First 6 games, last 6 games, I don't care. 20 ****ing years without a cup. I've had enough.
Ouch...you'll have to wait a while longer.
I think you need to drink some more because if you can't tolerate slumps and inconsistent players, well, either you'll blow or your tolerance needs to be improved
(Yes it's been too damn long. If it goes on any longer, we'll be like the complacent Leafs fans who live their mortal lives knowing the cup won't come in their life times )

Old
02-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Totally fine by that. It just gets annoying when some are dead fast in thinking DD is a waste of space after 6 games, should be traded, sent to the minors, or those that believe Eller would save the day by replacing DD as C...again after 6 games.

Personally I don't see DD as a 1st line C specially long term. Gally has that spot at least long term. Nor 2nd C which should go to Plek. But for now, I don't mind seeing DD as 1st...that's assuming DD picks it up. If not, no problem, looks like Plek is good to become 1st C again which is comforting. Either player is fine short term.
Eller, well, either we give up the idea of him being an offensive C or he needs to put it all together. Still, he's young so has time but it's not looking too too promising.
Pleks is our #1 right now, and likely for the year.

Gally seems to me he's taking the 2nd line spot little by little. Put Cole with the Gally's

Eller is a good 3rd line C, he should be there for the year, spending time with some aggressive wingers (Prust/Moen) and DD on the wing.

Once Patches comes back, then we'd be looking at more changes, but for the better IMHO.

In the long run, I can see MB making a move in dealing DD somewhere south west where he'll explode a la St-Louis.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:07 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
And why exactly is it so important for you and other posters to scratch DD? We have a young guy who just comes from a 60 points season and who's having a bad start. Why is it so urgent, according to the naysayers here, to scratch him or send him to the minor? What good would it do to him? What good would it do for the team??

When you have such an offensive force on a team, you try to create the conditions to make him produce again. That's what an intelligent management does. I'm sure it's what Therrien will do. And I'm sure that many of you would be pretty bad coaches and would rather break the guy instead of helping him because, for the reasons we know, many of you just don't want him to succeed.
To all of you who make excuses: Watch the tolerance for under performing players from Bergy drop like a rock this year and next year. His mandate is to bring a cup here in the next 5 years. Get used to it.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:20 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
Eller has played worse than desharnais are you serious

The hell did desharnais do to deserve being a top 2 centre? he played the whole season with our two best wingers and scored 16 goals regardless if your a playmaker or not, 16 is the sane amount of goals eller scored last year with worse linemates, less minutes, no PP, and played against better players. Giving someone a chance over another isn't favoritism in the slightest it's being accountable for your play, desharnais hasn't played well so why not give eller a chance? Christ they gave galchenyuk eller's role and he didn't play well in the first game neither so why should we exempt desharnais from losing his position, he needs to prove he belongs there and he hasn't so give someone else a chance, it's only fair.

Stop talking liking desharnais has had any passion in the 6 games, slightly more passionate than Cole but no drive from him at all. Everything you said about eller could be said about desharnais aswell the difference between the two of them is one hasnt had the opportunity to play his natural natural position and one has. Call it an excuse, it's the truth eller has always been **** on the wing some centers can never adjust to the wing. And if desharnais was moved to the wing I'm sure you too would be complaining about not being in his most comfortable position.

I'll be honest I like eller but I'm not blinded by it, when he plays bad I'll be the first to admit and he hasn't played well that past few games but neither has desharnais. I don't see why people are so against letting eller play centre in the top six. It's actually pretty funny, people need to stop being so obtuse and understand that eller plays 10x better as a centre than he does at wing, if management wants to force eller to play wing, fine, but it'll be a damn shame since it will ruin him and people will use him as a scapegoat so the sacred desharnais doesn't lose his position.
Eller has no excuse either. Wing is not rocket science. It is about aggression, and skating, and going for the net.

If he hasn't the brains to adapt to wing, then he's retarded. Sorry, but it's true.

Both of them are ****ing up, and it's pissing me off, because it has been clear for YEARS that we are sh-ite at center.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:28 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You do not trade Eller till you really know what he's made of. We don't. And you will not get a return similar to what we acquired him for by the way.....DD slow start is just that....a slow start. But time to put everything in context. That line isn't the first anymore. As of now, and without Pacioretty, DD is my 3rd line. Which mean that I would try to add Armstrong with DD and Cole. And have Eller centering White and Moen on the 4th.
Great: our no 2 and 3 centers demoted to the 3rd and 4th lines. Wa Hey! What great development from them!

No one listened, almost no one agreed last year when I was yelling for Carter. It was so bloody obvious.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Kyosuke

I like DD and if anyone wants they can go dig up my post where I elected that he be given another chance to make the team back in 2009 and 2010. But, I can't see a player of his stature and tool set working for us in the long-run on the first/second line anymore. Pleks and Galchenyuk are going to be our top line centers going forward in the future. DD is not going to be an option on the 3rd line, please give me break if you think so.

As for the Eller vs Desharnais discussion, frankly both have been playing like crap as of late. But I hate the way people are using Eller as a scapegoat, especially all those so-called French hockey experts on those late-night talk shows. Unlike Eller, Desharnais is playing his preferred position and has also had experience on the top line for a full season. Keep in mind Eller has, for a while, been juggled throughout the lineup and not given much of an opportunity to evolve into a specific role. Both are good players, but I would rather keep Eller and have him solidify our bottom 6 rather than have DD get push around like a little boy on the 3rd line.

On another note, I've also seen people criticizing Cole and how he might be bringing Desharnais' production down.. Honestly, if anyone else thinks the same, then they either haven't been watching the games as of late or don't know squat about hockey (or both).

Old
02-01-2013, 12:33 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halakalakaboom View Post
I'm a big DD fan but I'm starting to be worried, he's starting to play like crap and can't beat anyone 1v1. Most other smallish players have speed or stickhandling, DD seems to be overplayed all the time when he can't pass. Even shooting seems to be hard, he misses great scoring chances 'cause he hesitates. I don't know, I'm starting to think he's too unidimensionnal, not good enough overall for higher responsibilities than sheltered offensive third line. Still, I don't think he's a third liner for the NHL, look at championship teams, they all have or had a dominant physical bottom 6 with skilled top 6. Gally should take the no1 center and DD shipped ASAP for a 2nd rounder, we won't win anything with him. Eller would center the third line and add Dumont or Leblanc to this lineup. Rotate Dumont, Leblanc, Moen and Armstrong as healthy scratch. From what I've seen from Eller, he seems stronger on his skates and could be the third line C we need for the long run. Give him confidence and ice time for X sakes. I haven't seen him make a mistake or take a stupid penalty yet.
Sure, slot an 18 year old in as our first line C. Only goes to show what I've been saying about our centres for a year.

Sadly, your suggestion may come true.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:40 PM
bsl

Quote:
Umm...why pick 17 games? Such an odd number. Oh right. DD scored on the 18th and 19th game.
And how did your boy Eller do during that span?
You can't be ****in serious. You are defending no goals in 17 games? Really? I said this summer that if DD does not adapt and start scoring goals, he's gone.

Eller is **** too, why bring him up in defense of DD?

You cannot have a ten goal or less center on top 2 lines, for ****s sake! Not even on the third line.

I have NEVER liked DD, because he does not score goals. End of.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:43 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
DD's just following Ribeiro's path.
-Breakout season
-Slump the following one
-Crucified by fans and media
-Traded

As long as we don't get another Janne Niinimaa
Oh FFS.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:45 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
His decision making looks slower. He also is just moving slower than last year, especially through the neutral zone, he can't hold on to the puck for more than a few seconds before being challenged by a defending player.

I'd place him on the, it would give him less responsibility in terms of carrying the puck and hopefully allow teams to focus in on Eller's puck carrying ability while Cole uses his speed and size to open up space and time. Until Pacioretty comes back, putting DD on the wing and Eller at centre really is the only option without breaking the other lines.
Let's change DD and Eller's diapers too while we're at it.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Kyosuke

Quote:
Let's change DD and Eller's diapers too while we're at it.
sounds like a plan!

Closed Thread