HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2013, 11:01 AM
  #26
NYVanfan
Registered User
 
NYVanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 6,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
The fact that Luongo approached Gillis and not the other way around. He wants out. They used this to sign Schneider. How do you go and trade Schneider now? Schneider signed based on the premise that he would be the #1 here eventually, how do you explain that this was a fantasy in Schneider's own mind, and not based on reality?


It's not about broken relationships, it's about there being a clear indication from management on down that Schneider is the guy moving forward. That hasn't changed. The offers for Luongo don't matter. Gillis will trade Luongo regardless.
im not sure i see it that way.
its true that Luo approached Gillis -- that was confirmed shortly after the playoff loss. However, every Luo quote since has shown he's here to do whatever's best for the team (showing up for charity golf tourney, coming to camp early, etc.) It's well known that all the boys in the room get along well (ie not like the well documented Nash trials..)
On the other hand, there was no indication that any promises were made to Schneids, and i think the lack of a NTC is significant. He got a great offer, signed and is being very well paid, and that's an indication of his value to the organization. But I don't see how this dictates that he's unmmovable.
If there's one thing Gillis has said repeatedly is that he'll do whatever's best for the club -- whatever improves the team the most. If the offers are scraps for Luo, but great value for Schneids, I would not at all be surprised to see the latter moved. I think it's fairly safe to say MG surprised us all with the Hodgson trade, no?

In short, IMO the fact that Luo DID want out (after a particularly painful PO exit), does not neccessitate that he continues to do so.

NYVanfan is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:11 AM
  #27
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,272
vCash: 5555
If Gillis is adamant about not letting Luongo go for below his asking price, then he may be forced to trade Schneider, especially if Luongo outperforms him this season.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:12 AM
  #28
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
If Gillis is adamant about not letting Luongo go for below his asking price, then he may be forced to trade Schneider, especially if Luongo outperforms him this season.
Or he may just let it be known Schneider is avail and take whichever offer he feel better with?

I have a serious question for those who say, Lou playing is no big deal, means nothing. If Lou keeps playing well in a shortened season, at what point does Schneider get in a game?

doorman is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:14 AM
  #29
NYVanfan
Registered User
 
NYVanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 6,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Or he may just let it be known Schneider is avail and take whichever offer he feel better with?

I have a serious question for those who say, Lou playing is no big deal, means nothing. If Lou keeps playing well in a shortened season, at what point does Schneider get in a game?
this is my thought
i bet he's been listening to offers on both all along

NYVanfan is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:20 AM
  #30
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Tuuka Rask is playing poorly in Boston. He does not appear to be a real #1. Schnieder is from Boston. If the Bruin's GM offered Lucic for Schnieder + , MG would make that deal. Trading Luongo is not an absolute.

It's about as absolute you will get, based on any form of reality. Chiarelli doesn't offer Lucic for Schneider. It can just as easily be said that if Crosby was offered for Schneider, that he would be dealt, but everyone knows that isn't happening.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:22 AM
  #31
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
The fact that Luongo approached Gillis and not the other way around. He wants out.
Maybe I'm forgetting something, but when did this happen?

Quote:
They used this to sign Schneider. How do you go and trade Schneider now? Schneider signed based on the premise that he would be the #1 here eventually, how do you explain that this was a fantasy in Schneider's own mind, and not based on reality?
And Luongo signed a 12 year contract with a NTC, what's your point exactly? You don't know for certain that Schneider signed that contract with the promise that he will be the Canucks' #1 goalie. He signed that contract because for a guy who's never started more than 30 odd games in a season it was damn good contract offer.

Quote:
It's not about broken relationships, it's about there being a clear indication from management on down that Schneider is the guy moving forward. That hasn't changed. The offers for Luongo don't matter. Gillis will trade Luongo regardless.
If Gillis is doing what is in the team's best interest, then the offers certainly should matter. The Canucks best opportunity to win is in the next few years while the Sedins are still in their prime. If management feels that they can win with either goalie and one goalie, in this case Schneider, can return a bigger impact player via trade, than moving Schneider should certainly be an option.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:23 AM
  #32
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Tuuka Rask is playing poorly in Boston. He does not appear to be a real #1. Schnieder is from Boston. If the Bruin's GM offered Lucic for Schnieder + , MG would make that deal. Trading Luongo is not an absolute.
How is it that Rask is playing poorly?

doorman is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:25 AM
  #33
RECsGuy*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
The fact that Luongo approached Gillis and not the other way around. He wants out. They used this to sign Schneider. How do you go and trade Schneider now? Schneider signed based on the premise that he would be the #1 here eventually, how do you explain that this was a fantasy in Schneider's own mind, and not based on reality?


It's not about broken relationships, it's about there being a clear indication from management on down that Schneider is the guy moving forward. That hasn't changed. The offers for Luongo don't matter. Gillis will trade Luongo regardless.
Bleach, you always give other posters **** for speaking in absolutes before a situation plays itself out, yet here you are doing exactly that.

How does Gillis go and trade Schneider? To borrow a famous line from the film Jerry Maguire: "It's not show friends. It's show business."

RECsGuy* is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:25 AM
  #34
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,392
vCash: 500
This is still going? I thought a deal "was done" 3 weeks ago?! What happened!

IcedCapp is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:26 AM
  #35
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
im not sure i see it that way.
its true that Luo approached Gillis -- that was confirmed shortly after the playoff loss. However, every Luo quote since has shown he's here to do whatever's best for the team (showing up for charity golf tourney, coming to camp early, etc.) It's well known that all the boys in the room get along well (ie not like the well documented Nash trials..)
On the other hand, there was no indication that any promises were made to Schneids, and i think the lack of a NTC is significant. He got a great offer, signed and is being very well paid, and that's an indication of his value to the organization. But I don't see how this dictates that he's unmmovable.
If there's one thing Gillis has said repeatedly is that he'll do whatever's best for the club -- whatever improves the team the most. If the offers are scraps for Luo, but great value for Schneids, I would not at all be surprised to see the latter moved. I think it's fairly safe to say MG surprised us all with the Hodgson trade, no?

In short, IMO the fact that Luo DID want out (after a particularly painful PO exit), does not neccessitate that he continues to do so.


Schneider doesn't sign that contract unless some things were conveyed. He had the power position in negotiations. There's no way he signs on that dotted line unless he knows he gets to play the bulk of the games as a starter.


Schneider will not be moved. Gillis also understands his value to the organization, just like other GMs would.


For a player to even reach the mindset that all he's waiting for is a phone call to tell him where he's playing, to reintegrating with the team he had in the rear view mirror, there's just no way they choose him over someone they planned to go with. Not a chance.


I know many Canuck fans will disagree, but I'm willing to bet anyone cash (PM me), that Schneider will not move. I'm extremely confident in my position on that, and if he does, you become richer.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:28 AM
  #36
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Bleach, you always give other posters **** for speaking in absolutes before a situation plays itself out, yet here you are doing exactly that.

How does Gillis go and trade Schneider? To borrow a famous line from the film Jerry Maguire: "It's not show friends. It's show business."

This is about as absolute as I will get on a matter on here. All the signs are there, and I'm interpreting them to the best of my ability. Schneider will not move. You can call me out on it. This is the only absolute, or as close to a relative certainty, I will put out there.


Like I said, PM if you think I'm wrong.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:32 AM
  #37
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
This is about as absolute as I will get on a matter on here. All the signs are there, and I'm interpreting them to the best of my ability. Schneider will not move. You can call me out on it. This is the only absolute, or as close to a relative certainty, I will put out there.


Like I said, PM if you think I'm wrong.
So if lou keeps playing well at what point does Schneider get "his" net back?

doorman is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:32 AM
  #38
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Maybe I'm forgetting something, but when did this happen?

Gillis confirms this in his TSN interview just a week ago.



Quote:
And Luongo signed a 12 year contract with a NTC, what's your point exactly? You don't know for certain that Schneider signed that contract with the promise that he will be the Canucks' #1 goalie. He signed that contract because for a guy who's never started more than 30 odd games in a season it was damn good contract offer.


Nope. He could have prolonged the process, waiting for an offer sheet. Much like what ROReilly and Subban did. The only reason he signs that quickly and by extension submitting his leverage is because a certain direction is conveyed to him. He has no reason to otherwise. He was going to get that 4m contract regardless, whether it be from the Canucks or someone else.



Quote:
If Gillis is doing what is in the team's best interest, then the offers certainly should matter. The Canucks best opportunity to win is in the next few years while the Sedins are still in their prime. If management feels that they can win with either goalie and one goalie, in this case Schneider, can return a bigger impact player via trade, than moving Schneider should certainly be an option.


What's best for the team is keeping Schneider.


They could have moved Schneider at the deadline this past year, while Luongo was the clear cut #1, why didn't they?

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:34 AM
  #39
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
So if lou keeps playing well at what point does Schneider get "his" net back?


That depends on a number of factors. Is Lu still winning? He could be playing well, doesn't mean he's still winning. The coaching staff will also evaluate schedule and past records against certain teams when making that call.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:34 AM
  #40
Inverted
Registered User
 
Inverted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Flames need to trade Iggy and Kipper and start rebuilding, get some prospects and youth into the organization. Write this season off and rebuild.

To Flames:
Schneider, Gardiner

To Canucks:
Iginla, 2nd

To Leafs:
Kiprusoff, Sarich

I don't know if its fair but you can add pieces to it to make it fair. Basically my point was Schneider goes to flames, Iggy, comes to Canucks, and Kipper goes to Leafs

Inverted is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:38 AM
  #41
Inverted
Registered User
 
Inverted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke to Nonis View Post
Flames need to trade Iggy and Kipper and start rebuilding, get some prospects and youth into the organization. Write this season off and rebuild.

To Flames:
Schneider, Gardiner

To Canucks:
Iginla, 2nd

To Leafs:
Kiprusoff, Sarich

I don't know if its fair but you can add pieces to it to make it fair. Basically my point was Schneider goes to flames, Iggy, comes to Canucks, and Kipper goes to Leafs
So the Leafs trade their best young D prospect for couple of old farts? I doubt Vancouver does this as well. If such a trade was to happen Calgary would make it out like bandits.

Inverted is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:42 AM
  #42
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
If Gillis is adamant about not letting Luongo go for below his asking price, then he may be forced to trade Schneider, especially if Luongo outperforms him this season.
You have to realize, if Schneider has a inconsistent season, which is how he has started. His value will lower as well.

nhlfan9191 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:48 AM
  #43
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
You have to realize, if Schneider has a inconsistent season, which is how he has started. His value will lower as well.
His season has not been inconsistent, actually pretty good, besides the first game that diluted his stats. Canucks forwards and defence are really the ones off to the slow start, but that isn't a huge surprise because of the injuries to Kesler + Booth, and most didn play anywhere during the lockout.

Numbers is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:48 AM
  #44
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
The Canucks need to just ship him to the Isles already.

Buy out DiPietro's contract. Canucks get Okposo, Strome, and Niederreiter in return.

I Am Score* is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:49 AM
  #45
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Gillis confirms this in his TSN interview just a week ago.
Must've missed it. Roberto did say he hasn't been approached by Gillis on the matter.

Quote:
Nope. He could have prolonged the process, waiting for an offer sheet. Much like what ROReilly and Subban did. The only reason he signs that quickly and by extension submitting his leverage is because a certain direction is conveyed to him. He has no reason to otherwise. He was going to get that 4m contract regardless, whether it be from the Canucks or someone else.
We were also told that Schneider was going to refuse to sign with the Canucks coming out of college and declare himself an UFA. But that didn't happen, did it? Offer sheets are so rare there's not point even discussing them really. Subban sure got one over on the Habs by playing that card, right? Fact is, Gillis made Schneider a more than fair offer and he would've been foolish not to sign it. There are no guarantees he would've received a similar offer even as an UFA.

Quote:
What's best for the team is keeping Schneider.
Long term, probably. Short term, depends on what each goalie can fetch in a trade.

Quote:
They could have moved Schneider at the deadline this past year, while Luongo was the clear cut #1, why didn't they?
Teams generally aren't in the market for fairly unproven goaltenders at the deadline, that wouldn't have been a good time to move Schneider. The time to have moved him would've been at the draft, but Gillis was obviously working for a Luongo trade. If he's not getting offers he feels are fair for Luongo but is getting offers he feels are great for Schneider, as he's alluded to, that could certainly make him re-think the situation.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:52 AM
  #46
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,272
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
You have to realize, if Schneider has a inconsistent season, which is how he has started. His value will lower as well.
If that's the case, then it certainly wouldn't make sense to trade away Luongo.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:53 AM
  #47
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
His season has not been inconsistent, actually pretty good, besides the first game that diluted his stats. Canucks forwards and defence are really the ones off to the slow start, but that isn't a huge surprise because of the injuries to Kesler + Booth, and most didn play anywhere during the lockout.
You can't blame just the defense and injuries everytime your goalies aren't playing well.

nhlfan9191 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:53 AM
  #48
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,272
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Score View Post
The Canucks need to just ship him to the Isles already.

Buy out DiPietro's contract. Canucks get Okposo, Strome, and Niederreiter in return.
Okposo + Neiderreiter would make sense. I highly doubt NYI would be willing to trade Strome any time soon, and definitely not for Luongo.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:54 AM
  #49
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
If that's the case, then it certainly wouldn't make sense to trade away Luongo.
His contract was designed for your team and if he's playing up to it in your eyes, I don't know why you would trade him. Can you imagine if Schneider let in 5 goals on 14 shots in his debut as a number one and Luongo was gone?

nhlfan9191 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 11:56 AM
  #50
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Okposo + Neiderreiter would make sense. I highly doubt NYI would be willing to trade Strome any time soon, and definitely not for Luongo.
I just added Strome in there for ***** and giggles lol.

So Okposo and Niederreiter for Luongo? Do we have a done deal? Islanders then buy out DiPietro's contract and begin fresh. It would definitley help them tutor a young goaltender and start building.

I Am Score* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.