HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Non-Ownership Thread: Who Cares Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 11:37 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post
ASSUMING we even get to a new AMLA, I think the council may be willing to save face by putting out something like 10 years at $10M per. However, no investor is going to purchase the team with that deal if GJ couldn't close and purchase the team with a $300M deal. Bottom line is, a deal more favorable to the CoG is only going to ensure no local sale.
you could find investors if the "out-clause" was say after 5 years of 'x' metrics you can break the lease and move

Old
02-01-2013, 11:54 AM
XX
... Waiting

Treliving is the last, real person I could ever see buying this team. But if he didn't step up with $300 million on the plate, he won't now. Too bad. He is chairman of the board for the company that owns and operates a bunch of facility management companies, as well as the CHL. He's worth $600 million+, and has a big network he can call on. If anyone could turn it around, it'd be him.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Treliving is the last, real person I could ever see buying this team. But if he didn't step up with $300 million on the plate, he won't now. Too bad. He is chairman of the board for the company that owns and operates a bunch of facility management companies, as well as the CHL. He's worth $600 million+, and has a big network he can call on. If anyone could turn it around, it'd be him.
I have seen his name popup again, if memory serves his bid included only a 5 year non-relocation clause. Better than nothing but that is the same bid the the City declined last year because "it did not meet their criteria". If they accept it now, what changed?

Old
02-01-2013, 12:01 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
Remember the movie "Fargo"? Where the guy's got this whole plan for a parking structure, thinking he's going to be the one controlling the project and all, putting zero money down, only to be kicked out to the curb by his rich in-law with only a pat on the back to show for it?

Expect Jamison's wife to disappear soon in mysterious fashion.
"...this here's a good deal. I assume, if you're not interested, you won't mind if we move on it independently"

Old
02-01-2013, 12:10 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
I have seen his name popup again, if memory serves his bid included only a 5 year non-relocation clause. Better than nothing but that is the same bid the the City declined last year because "it did not meet their criteria". If they accept it now, what changed?
It just makes business sense. Having things bolted to the ground is terrible, in the long run. How much security did that 30 year lease provide the Coyotes? None. If Treliving wants the option to sell the team after 5 years, fine. If the Coyotes can't make money after those 5 years, he and the league have every right to take our team away. Having an out clause gives you leverage and it provides a security blanket for investors. They're basically guaranteed to recoup what they put into the team because a new market would pay the price of the team+ to acquire it after those 5 years.

The man made a living running franchises. I'd defer to him. It's pretty clear the council doesn't want to lose the Coyotes on their watch, however much money it saves them, so they may slash $50 million off the subsidy and call it a day.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:11 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
"...this here's a good deal. I assume, if you're not interested, you won't mind if we move on it independently"
Great find.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:20 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

In the case of Treliving, he's a competent business man with a proven track record, experience in the field, a vast network, and huge personal wealth. A guy like that, I might be able to accept a five year out clause.

Honestly, Jamison cobbling together a few hundred bucks from a few million guys in order to barely scrape together the asking price, with no hope of surviving any major losses, isn't really ideal, anyhow. How long before we're in BK court again? What good is a 20 year agreement, if there isn't a prayer of survival, any how?

I don't believe in the phantom savior. I don't think it's Treliving or anyone else. Maybe another pretender who doesn't have any of his own money in the bid, but not anybody serious. If Treliving wanted in, he could've just made himself known a week ago. He's clearly the superior option to Jamsion, so why not help himself to that 308mil?

Old
02-01-2013, 12:21 PM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post
ASSUMING we even get to a new AMLA, I think the council may be willing to save face by putting out something like 10 years at $10M per. However, no investor is going to purchase the team with that deal if GJ couldn't close and purchase the team with a $300M deal. Bottom line is, a deal more favorable to the CoG is only going to ensure no local sale.
The COG is not negotiating from a position of strength. Even with a 300 million subsidy, we still have no buyer. If a real one is out there and shows up, they will demand and likely get the 300 million as the COG has set the bar at that price. If they don't want the team, that is one thing, but the subsidy is staying at that level or going up, and the NHL price is at 170 million max, or going down. Neither the NHL or the COG has any leverage if they want to keep the team here. Last minute deals are always the best deals, not dead yet...

Old
02-01-2013, 12:24 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post

I don't believe in the phantom savior. I don't think it's Treliving or anyone else. Maybe another pretender who doesn't have any of his own money in the bid, but not anybody serious. If Treliving wanted in, he could've just made himself known a week ago. He's clearly the superior option to Jamsion, so why not help himself to that 308mil?
Like I said before. If we don't get a name within a week, it's all a giant sham. The difference between this situation and Atlanta is the city. Everything has to be made public, including who the buyer is and the terms of the lease. We will know early on if there's no real buyer. The NHL is sort of screwed in that regard. Daly's comments make it seem like they've accepted this, and are just going to start openly talking about relocation.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Underdawg
Desert Hockey Fan

vCash: 453
Although I am new to this forum, I am not new to this whole fiasco.

The years spent defending our city to trolls and haters has been exhausting.
Arguing with Mr. Jones in front of the library.

My hope was seeing Mr. Jamison help bring us fans and the city back to a respectable place among the "self deservers".

I feel like the idiot, not because I had full confidence in Mr. Jamison, but I was convinced this deal would be done, after our mighty Captain re-signed here.

The man is pure class, as we all know, and I figured, (as I am guessing he did to) that Mr. Jamison was the "real deal", and he put his signature on a contract to stay and play here.

I cannot say enough about Shane Doan, and what a magnificent person, player, and leader he is.

I figured that with him staying here, the Yotes would get out of this ownership crap, and be able to move on and have the luxury of putting ALL of their doubts behind and be able to focus all attention to the ice, where it belongs.

Sadly, I am behind most of you, in the "moving along" steps.

Sure, there is the possibility, but in the real world, I believe its over.

This sucks.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:51 PM
XX
... Waiting

Right out of left field, a white knight appears

bruce dowbiggin

From the Globe & Mail

Quote:
Quote:
@dowbboy
When, not if, Jamison's house of cards collapses, look for Calgary oil $$ to try to ride to Bettman's rescue in Phoenix.
5:40 p.m. Thu, Jan 31 from Plantation, FL
A reference to Bill Gallacher, owner of the Portland Winterhawks, who has been in on several team sales lately. Devils, Stars. He is a legit billionaire. Not sure what to make of this.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Quote:
A reference to Bill Gallacher, owner of the Portland Winterhawks, who has been in on several team sales lately. Devils, Stars. He is a legit billionaire. Not sure what to make of this.
It would be inline with the rumors last year of a "Western Canadian" investor. But first I have heard a name.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:59 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
It would be inline with the rumors last year of a "Western Canadian" investor. But first I have heard a name.
A newly minted billionaire, who wants to join the old boys club. Doesn't care where the team is, apparently, because he has been in on teams that can't move. No obvious relocation agenda. Interesting. Could be the nuclear option, if they want to keep Phoenix as a market. Pawn it off on a billionaire who is dying to own an NHL team, maybe give him a sweet deal.

Wishful thinking. Just for the record, only 1 person has floated this. But it jives with the whole "deep pockets" thing being repeated by the city. The # of billionaires attempting to join the NHL owners ranks isn't exactly a long list.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:37 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...ough-sell.html

best summation of where we are to date.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:41 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post

Jobing.com is a world class concert venue. It's just horribly managed. To the point where you have to ask if they are even trying.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

As first reported by XX

Reports surface of new suitor for Coyotes
Quote:
One man who fits the profile is Portland Winterhawks owner and Calgary oil mogul Bill Gallacher. Two sources told FOX Sports Arizona that he could be part of a group in the running to purchase the team on a fast track.

According to his bio, Gallacher is the president of Avenir Capital Corporation, a private equity firm that invests in new and existing junior companies. An engineer by profession, Gallacher was an entrepreneur in the oil patch and brings experience in the financial markets and corporate structuring. Gallacher sits on the board of directors of Avenir Diversified Income Trust, Athabasca Oil Sands Corp., Black Diamond Income Fund, Maxim Power Corp., Mahalo Energy Ltd. and Great Plains Exploration.
http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/02/0...61&feedID=3702

Craig Morgan is becoming a very reliable reporter in this situation. He does state that relocation to Portland might be Gallacher's goal so be warned.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post

This is rarely ever pointed out. So its nice that someone throws this into a Coyotes article. The events scheduled at Jobbing will not suddenly increase if the Coyotes left.

Quote:
While watching NHL games Thursday night, I flipped through the Jobing.com "Arena Calendar" for 2013. Guess how many events are booked in the arena that have nothing to do with the Coyotes? No peeking! Ready?

Nine.

That's five days of the Arizona high school basketball championships, two nights of Taylor Swift, one night of Bon Jovi and one night of The Who.

According to the website, there is not one event booked in the facility from May 30 until January 31, 2014. Even if this is some kind of formatting error, I've been told Glendale is not exactly a hot concert stop.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:56 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
He does state that relocation to Portland might be Gallacher's goal so be warned.
I think the NHL will have some serious questions about that. Not only does Portland not really have the population and demographics to support an NHL team, it also slightly infringes on a future Seattle franchise. Gallacher has no affinity for Portland, as far as I know. His bidding on the Stars and Devils proves as much. Winterhawks are a nice little team, but he'd be killing them off if he brought an NHL team to town.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Blurb on his Devils bid:
http://www.rantsports.com/nhl/2012/0...jersey-devils/

Stars Bid:
http://www.defendingbigd.com/2010/5/...bill-gallacher

FYI-I am a huge Bret Hart fan so having an owner from Calgary would be cool.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:11 PM
XX
... Waiting

Next step is to have his name paraded around by Bettman/the city. Then the game will be afoot again. Until then, same old story.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
I would be perfectly fine selling to Gallacher with, say, a five year out clause. Gives him a reasonable amount of time to turn the team around and he doesn't lose too much if it doesn't work. What other viable options do we have anyway? I think we're beyond having the leverage to insist on a lease with no out clause.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:27 PM
LAIslanderFan

Hey Guys, I'm an Islander fan, living in Los Angeles (and not very fond of LA).
I've become a bit of a closeted Phoenix Coyote fan and even travel to Phoenix at least once a year to catch a Coyote game. I've followed this thread closely for months hoping for some good news.
Clearly, what transpired yesterday is a major setback. I will continue to follow this thread and hope someone steps forward to save your team. I still intend on making a trek to Phoenix to catch a game this year.

Although the future seems uncertain, I hope you will continue to support the team by showing up to their games and showing the players (especially Doan), that you still care. I don't know what effect this will have, but it can't hurt. If there is another potential owner out there, it could make a difference in convincing them to buy the team.

Like I said above, I've been to Jobing.com many times over the years. I know Phoenix is a good hockey market with great fans. Don't give in just yet.

Good luck!

Old
02-01-2013, 02:38 PM
XX
... Waiting

Conspiracy of the day: NHL talked Gallacher out of Jamison's bid (killing it in the process) because they want him more.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Quote:
Conspiracy of the day: NHL talked Gallacher out of Jamison's bid (killing it in the process) because they want him more.
Leaning more towards fact.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:58 PM
cobra427

Quote:
If the guy is worth a billion, why would he want to be part of JIG and 20 other investors/partners? He should have his own bid, he calls the shots, then he can hire Jamison if he needs him...

Closed Thread