HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Blue Bombers 2013 Season Thread (next game: 08/05 @ BC)

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 10:55 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Armond Armstead signed with the Patriots

Old
02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
TroubaFan1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
That's what I'm talking about though. There's literally nothing to suggest he is better than anything the Bombers have, other than hope and hype.

Don't get me wrong, I think Reilly will probably be a good QB in this league. But it's based on a hunch, not on any sort of concrete evidence. He had one good start and one not so good start. He's had ups and downs, just like a guy like Joey Elliott. Unfortunately for Elliott, his body of work is larger and he's been somewhat handcuffed by the situations he's been placed in. I still think Reilly and Elliott are the best two QB prospects currently in the CFL.
Joey Elliott is no longer a prospect, he's turning 27 this season and it will be his 4th year in the league. That being said, id say Drew Willy, Matt Nichols, or even Kyle Quilan, are better potential long term starters IMO.

Last edited by TroubaFan1: 02-01-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old
02-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubaFan1 View Post
Joey Elliott is no longer a prospect, he's turning 27 this season and it will be his 4th year in the league. That being said, id say Drew Willy, Matt Nichols, or even Kyle Quilan, are better potential long term starters IMO.
Mike Reilly came into the league the same year as Joey and is a year older.

Matt Nichols came into the league the same year as Joey, is a bit younger and is coming off a horrific injury. I'd like to see how he's recovered before even trying to guess at his level of ability for now.

Drew Willy ... we'll see. He's got some tools.

Kyle Quinlan? LOL

If anything, you should have said Bo Levi Mitchell. Now there's a prospect with some potential. Can't believe I forgot to mention him initially.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:39 AM
TroubaFan1

Quote:
Mike Reilly came into the league the same year as Joey and is a year older.

Matt Nichols came into the league the same year as Joey, is a bit younger and is coming off a horrific injury. I'd like to see how he's recovered before even trying to guess at his level of ability for now.

Drew Willy ... we'll see. He's got some tools.

Kyle Quinlan? LOL

If anything, you should have said Bo Levi Mitchell. Now there's a prospect with some potential. Can't believe I forgot to mention him initially.
The age of the rest of the guys, or how long they have been in league was really not what I was getting at. I was just pointing out Elliott is no longer a prospect . When you have 5 tds to 13 picks in your third season in the league, you're a bust.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
The age of the rest of the guys, or how long they have been in league was really not what I was getting at. I was just pointing out Elliott is no longer a prospect . When you have 5 tds to 13 picks in your third season in the league, you're a bust.
Not true at all.

Elliott's TD:INT ratio, as well as his general level of performance, really need to be put into context.

Elliott started 7 games for us last year, in which his record was 2-5. Pretty poor on the surface, until you consider that in two of those five losses, Elliott drove the field and gave Winnipeg the lead with under three minutes to go, only to have a weak defensive performance (vs. BC) and a poor coaching decision (vs. Saskatchewan) cost us 2 victories on the final play of the game.

Had he received more support from his defense and from his coach, Elliott very well could have been sporting a winning record as a starter last year. Call it excuses, call it whatever you want. Elliott did enough to win 4 games last year, the cards just didn't fall as they could have for him.

As for his TD:INT ratio ... it's well-known to any football fan worth their mettle that a QB is going to have to take chances when he enters a game down by 2 scores. Out of the 13 interceptions Elliott threw, 6 of them were thrown when he came off the bench and was down by a minimum of 14 points. Playing from behind, you have to take chances and you have to force the ball downfield.

If you actually isolate his statistics to show how he performed when he was given the role of starter, they're very promising. Again, on the surface, you only see a 5 TD:7 INT ratio but then you toss in the idea that he averaged roughly ~250 yards passing per start, you consider the fact that his running backs also produced 5 red-zone touchdowns while he was under center and you start to get the idea that while he's not a polished diamond, he's certainly still worth investing in. Elliott moved the ball down the field better than any other QB we had last year, including Pierce. Our total amount of 70 yard+ offensive drives last year was 15 and Elliott had 11 of them. What does that tell you? His red zone performance needs to improve, but let him improve it. Don't just fold on him and move on to the next sacrificial lamb.

You give Elliott some consistency on a weekly basis, stop stringing him along and benching him after POW performances and you give him an offense designed to suit his strengths, I think you'll see a much better QB than he developed a reputation for last year.

Keep throwing him in there cold without first team practice reps, down by 14 points and you're going to keep seeing turnovers. Same as you'd see from any other quarterback.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:24 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Not true at all.

Elliott's TD:INT ratio, as well as his general level of performance, really need to be put into context.

Elliott started 7 games for us last year, in which his record was 2-5. Pretty poor on the surface, until you consider that in two of those five losses, Elliott drove the field and gave Winnipeg the lead with under three minutes to go, only to have a weak defensive performance (vs. BC) and a poor coaching decision (vs. Saskatchewan) cost us 2 victories on the final play of the game.

Had he received more support from his defense and from his coach, Elliott very well could have been sporting a winning record as a starter last year. Call it excuses, call it whatever you want. Elliott did enough to win 4 games last year, the cards just didn't fall as they could have for him.

As for his TD:INT ratio ... it's well-known to any football fan worth their mettle that a QB is going to have to take chances when he enters a game down by 2 scores. Out of the 13 interceptions Elliott threw, 6 of them were thrown when he came off the bench and was down by a minimum of 14 points. Playing from behind, you have to take chances and you have to force the ball downfield.

If you actually isolate his statistics to show how he performed when he was given the role of starter, they're very promising. Again, on the surface, you only see a 5 TD:7 INT ratio but then you toss in the idea that he averaged roughly ~250 yards passing per start, you consider the fact that his running backs also produced 5 red-zone touchdowns while he was under center and you start to get the idea that while he's not a polished diamond, he's certainly still worth investing in. Elliott moved the ball down the field better than any other QB we had last year, including Pierce. Our total amount of 70 yard+ offensive drives last year was 15 and Elliott had 11 of them. What does that tell you? His red zone performance needs to improve, but let him improve it. Don't just fold on him and move on to the next sacrificial lamb.

You give Elliott some consistency on a weekly basis, stop stringing him along and benching him after POW performances and you give him an offense designed to suit his strengths, I think you'll see a much better QB than he developed a reputation for last year.

Keep throwing him in there cold without first team practice reps, down by 14 points and you're going to keep seeing turnovers. Same as you'd see from any other quarterback.
Your joking right?

Elliott is terrible! God I've never seen a guy fold so quick when the slightest bit of pressure was applied. I can't count how many times I've seen that guy throw the ball to the defensive coordinator, when he still had time to make a good play.

He's not a difference maker, whatsoever. He's just not a good QB.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:30 PM
TroubaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Your joking right?

Elliott is terrible! God I've never seen a guy fold so quick when the slightest bit of pressure was applied. I can't count how many times I've seen that guy throw the ball to the defensive coordinator, when he still had time to make a good play.

Agreed.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Your joking right?

No. I'm not joking. Are you? If you want to talk about a guy who folds or panics under pressure, maybe you should look at Buck Pierce or Alex Brink.

Pierce doesn't so much fold under pressure as much as he is just generally unaware of it. His pocket awareness is almost equal to that of Quinton Porter, which is not in any way, shape or form a compliment.

Alex Brink, on the other hand, is good at sensing pressure. Too bad any time he senses it, instead of stepping up into the pocket, he hightails it in reverse and turns his back to the play.

Elliott and, in a lesser sample size, Justin Goltz are the only two quarterbacks on our roster who actually routinely were willing to step up and avoid a wave of pressure from the defensive line. The decision making that comes afterwards needs some fine tuning that will certainly come with experience but at least their pocket awareness is there.

Elliott still struggles quite a bit with transitioning through his reads and he still suffers from some Buck Pierce-esque tunnel vision, so that needs to improve. Then again, there's no reason Elliott couldn't become an efficient Danny McManus style gunslinger. That's probably the best upside comparison you'll find of Joey ... he's going to turn the ball over because he's going to take risks, but he takes ownership of his offense and he moves the chains consistently, even if it's not always pretty. I never understand why people isolate these individual memories of a quarterback and treat them as if that's the sole indicator of their abilities. Elliott has made some boneheaded plays. So has every quarterback. Even Calvillo. Even Tom Brady. I've seen Elliott make a lot of bad throws, but I also saw him make more good throws than any other Bomber QB last year.

And on top of everything, let's not act like 27 years old is old for a CFL quarterback. That's still fairly young in the grand scheme of things.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:42 PM
TroubaFan1

Quote:
No. I'm not joking. Are you? If you want to talk about a guy who folds or panics under pressure, maybe you should look at Buck Pierce or Alex Brink.

Pierce doesn't so much fold under pressure as much as he is just generally unaware of it. His pocket awareness is almost equal to that of Quinton Porter, which is not in any way, shape or form a compliment.

Alex Brink, on the other hand, is good at sensing pressure. Too bad any time he senses it, instead of stepping up into the pocket, he hightails it in reverse and turns his back to the play.

Elliott and, in a lesser sample size, Justin Goltz are the only two quarterbacks on our roster who actually routinely were willing to step up and avoid a wave of pressure from the defensive line. The decision making that comes afterwards needs some fine tuning that will certainly come with experience but at least their pocket awareness is there.

Elliott still struggles quite a bit with transitioning through his reads and he still suffers from some Buck Pierce-esque tunnel vision, so that needs to improve. Then again, there's no reason Elliott couldn't become an efficient Danny McManus style gunslinger. That's probably the best upside comparison you'll find of Joey ... he's going to turn the ball over because he's going to take risks, but he takes ownership of his offense and he moves the chains consistently, even if it's not always pretty. I never understand why people isolate these individual memories of a quarterback and treat them as if that's the sole indicator of their abilities. Elliott has made some boneheaded plays. So has every quarterback. Even Calvillo. Even Tom Brady. I've seen Elliott make a lot of bad throws, but I also saw him make more good throws than any other Bomber QB last year.

And on top of everything, let's not act like 27 years old is old for a CFL quarterback. That's still fairly young in the grand scheme of things.
I obviously watch different Bomber games then you do. Brink and Buck will both take off running when pressure comes. Nobody said 27 in the CFL was old, its just not a prospect as you put it.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:01 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

Quote:
I obviously watch different Bomber games then you do. Brink and Buck will both take off running when pressure comes. Nobody said 27 in the CFL was old, its just not a prospect as you put it.
Generally you don't want your QB to take off when they feel pressure...

You want them to move in the pocket and find someone open. Running is for when the pocket breaks down, there is an opening, or as a last resort.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Go back and watch recordings of any games you have where Brink is under center.

Yeah, he takes off running. The problem is, he doesn't escape the pocket, he backpedals out of it, turning his back to the play entirely to swoop around. What's the problem with that? You've basically just eliminated any of your options. Every time he did that last year, his receivers essentially gave up on their routes because Brink commits to the run. I watched every minute of Brink under center last year and I can count on two fingers the times he actually stepped up into the pocket, leaned it and completed a pass in the face of pressure. I can count on just as many how many passes he completed outside of the pocket.

The point of escaping the pocket isn't to commit to the run 100%, it's to buy yourself time to find options. By turning away from the play, you're committing to the run and everyone (offense and defense) knows it. It's not smart, it's not effective and it limits production.

Pierce, obviously being a veteran, is a bit more saavy with it except he is dangerous (to himself) in the open field because he doesn't protect the ball or himself. He at least tends to spy downfield when he's scrambling out of the pocket but he has a knack for focusing on waiting for one guy (usually Edwards) to get open and he's missed a wide open guy in broken coverage many times.

Food for thought ... last year's turnover to TD ratio (I'm not counting goal line scores or turnovers, otherwise Brink would obviously have the best one because he's our "sneak QB" in 90% of the situations)
Elliott: 13 turnovers, 6 touchdowns
Brink: 11 turnovers, 7 touchdowns
Pierce: 7 turnovers, 3 touchdowns

So ... as you can see, it's actually Pierce who had the worst TD:TO ratio of all 3 quarterbacks. And yet, we rag on Elliott.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Another thing I'll mention, since I'm just kind of thinking out loud here:

If you can be bothered to go back and watch any recordings of games from last year, watch how often Pierce uses his check down option. It won't be very often. Again, no pocket awareness and no sense of when he needs to use his bail outs.

Now go watch how often Elliott uses it. Of the 33 passes Chad Simpson caught last year, Elliott threw him 28 of them. Even pro-rating playing time, that's still a much better use of a check down option than Pierce or Brink ever made. It's all about being aware of your surroundings and I'm not just talking about what's coming at you, I'm talking about what you can use to your advantage to make a play as well. You can at least take a look at Elliott's knack for tunnel vision and say, hey at least he uses the bail out and knows to look for THAT. Pierce? Not so much.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:13 PM
sully1410

Yea...because Elliott sucks, that's why lol.

The team itself plays better when Buck starts, and do not get me wrong...Elliott may be terrible, but the other two are bad as well.

It's like Canadian politics. There's just no other options out there lol.

QB is a position where you either have enough talent to play it at the pro level, or you don't. Elliott has been in the league now for four years and hasn't managed to play well.

I think it's time to stop defending the guy and find a better option. No amount of stats is going to prove your position of Elliot actually being a good QB option and he just needs more support.

It's up to your QB to throw the ball and make the decisions on the field. It's up to the QB to make sure he does hose things right. He does not so either of those things right. At 27, he's probably not going to get any better...and if he does, I give full permission to mock me unmercifully and say I told you so.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:14 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Another thing I'll mention, since I'm just kind of thinking out loud here:

If you can be bothered to go back and watch any recordings of games from last year, watch how often Pierce uses his check down option. It won't be very often. Again, no pocket awareness and no sense of when he needs to use his bail outs.

Now go watch how often Elliott uses it. Of the 33 passes Chad Simpson caught last year, Elliott threw him 28 of them. Even pro-rating playing time, that's still a much better use of a check down option than Pierce or Brink ever made. It's all about being aware of your surroundings and I'm not just talking about what's coming at you, I'm talking about what you can use to your advantage to make a play as well. You can at least take a look at Elliott's knack for tunnel vision and say, hey at least he uses the bail out and knows to look for THAT. Pierce? Not so much.
Like I said...

No one is disagreeing that the other QB's suck too.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
TroubaFan1

Quote:
Like I said...

No one is disagreeing that the other QB's suck too.
I do think Brink has got a chance to be good, he even played well in that last game against Montreal. People say his release is too slow, but he makes things happen out there imo, and has been making less mistakes as he gaines experiance which is what development is all about. If things go the way I think they will, Brink will win the #1 QB job with Buck being 1A. From there I do think Brink Can open some eyes and atleast give us alittle hope for the future at the QB position.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:40 PM
sully1410

Quote:
I do think Brink has got a chance to be good, he even played well in that last game against Montreal. People say his release is too slow, but he makes things happen out there imo, and has been making less mistakes as he gaines experiance which is what development is all about. If things go the way I think they will, Brink will win the #1 QB job with Buck being 1A. From there I do think Brink Can open some eyes and atleast give us alittle hope for the future at the QB position.
I think he has Promise that's for sure. Maybe the bombers agree with you, and that's why they didn't go for Reilly.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=415001

Quote:
The release of McPherson ends months of speculation of whether or not the five-year veteran would enter free agency. It was expected that the 29-year-old would leave the Alouettes after Anthony Calvillo announced he'd be returning for another two seasons. In five years with the Als, McPherson has thrown 243 passes for 1,505 yards, 10 touchdowns and six interceptions.
I know the Bombers are not looking for a strong arm mobile QB type, but you cannot deny this guys talent level. And it is well known that for MacPherson he is looking for playing time, not money, and we are really the only team that can offer that (maybe Edmonton).

I was not to overly upset that the Bombers did not pay assets to acquire Reilly, but if they don't get MacPherson I will be pissed. This guy is a great talent and would completely change to dynamic of this team. He has been considered the best backup in the league for years now, he needs a shot and we need a QB. Bombers better be all over this.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Bob E

Quote:
I think he has Promise that's for sure. Maybe the bombers agree with you, and that's why they didn't go for Reilly.
No chance of that, imo. He had a chance as the starter and looked horrid. When he comes off the bench in a game that's out of reach, he puts up some numbers, otherwise, he is not effective at all.

Elliott and Brink are not capable of being a consistent, solid CFL quarterback, imo. Buck can put up points, and wins, but plays a very small fraction of a season. They have to cut ties with him.

I say, bring in MacPhearson, another US recruit and Goltz, and see what happens.

There is nothing the trio of Buck, Elliott and Brink can do to put this team into a GC game, let alone win one. Buck might be the best chance of those three, but the odds of him staying healthy are ridiculously low. If Mack goes with the same group, he really is a snake-oil salesman, and Buchko is completely incompetent for keeping him around any longer than the final game of last season.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:16 PM
sully1410

If there is a chance to upgrade the QB position out there...how do you not at least try to get it?

I mean, they pretty much have to really.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=415001

I know the Bombers are not looking for a strong arm mobile QB type, but you cannot deny this guys talent level. And it is well known that for MacPherson he is looking for playing time, not money, and we are really the only team that can offer that (maybe Edmonton).

I was not to overly upset that the Bombers did not pay assets to acquire Reilly, but if they don't get MacPherson I will be pissed. This guy is a great talent and would completely change to dynamic of this team. He has been considered the best backup in the league for years now, he needs a shot and we need a QB. Bombers better be all over this.
I highly doubt they bring in McPherson. His stock has been dropping consistently for a couple years now and he's already going to be 30 going into training camp this year.

I don't think he's anyone that is going to "completely change the dynamic" of any club because quite frankly, he's not really all that good. I'd take a flyer on him simply because we may as well at this point, but Tim Burke was around McPherson for years and appears to have very little to no interest in acquiring him. Speaks volumes to me, even if us fans don't understand on the surface.

The only thing I really like about McPherson is that he's very capable as a mobile QB. Other than that, he's not as polished as you'd expect for a guy going into his 6th year in the CFL. Still makes a lot of coverage misreads, still doesn't anticipate his throws as well as he should and I don't particularly like his "run first, pass second" mentality that he develops when he gets into a rhythm. I want my QB getting into a passing rhythm, not a running one.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Ulf Hullberg

I'm with J.Bomb

Burke knows AM, and if he has no interest in him, then I highly doubt he would be the answer to our QB woes.

Old
02-14-2013, 03:32 PM
TroubaFan1

We agreed to terms with Bryant Turner today.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:21 PM
StronGeer
PavOut #BuyOut

From TSN:

Quote:
The Bombers GM also noted that he didn't expect to bring in an experienced CFL quarterback to compete with Buck Pierce, Joey Elliott, and Alex Brink.
So ya, doesn't look like we're going to be going after MacPherson. He had better improve our O-Line then, Buck cannot get hurt. Sorry to Joey and Alex but the opportunities have been plenty and neither have stepped up.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:24 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
From TSN:

So ya, doesn't look like we're going to be going after MacPherson. He had better improve our O-Line then, Buck cannot get hurt. Sorry to Joey and Alex but the opportunities have been plenty and neither have stepped up.
....wow...

And the incompetence just doesn't end.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
From TSN:

Yes!
Another year of Bomber futility!

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Closed Thread