HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 12:01 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
If available Anthony Mantha should be our target, that kid can ****ing score!!!

I think he was projected 15th by BM earlier this week in the mid season ranking
Any relation to Moe?

Old
02-01-2013, 12:03 PM
rmartin65

I realize this is going to sound stupid, but I am going to be pissed if we dont spend our 1st round pick (if we still have one after the deadline) on a top 6 type forward. I dont care if the guy is a sniper, play-maker, power forward, whatever. But he needs to have legitimate top 6 offensive potential. We have defensive forwards/role guys and defensive prospects... outside of Bennett we dont really have a top 6er in the system (I guess Blueger, maybe).

Old
02-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Krom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesle View Post
Maybe. At this point in time, who knows? Maybe the Penguins will regret not taking him at some point in the future, but it's probably not going to be because he's tied for 43rd in scoring in the second tier in Sweden.
I didn't realize that was 2nd tier. Thanks.

Still, a highly regarded forward prospects with size was available to them and they selected a small defenseman with skill. I'd like to see them take the obvious choice once in a while.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I realize this is going to sound stupid, but I am going to be pissed if we dont spend our 1st round pick (if we still have one after the deadline) on a top 6 type forward. I dont care if the guy is a sniper, play-maker, power forward, whatever. But he needs to have legitimate top 6 offensive potential. We have defensive forwards/role guys and defensive prospects... outside of Bennett we dont really have a top 6er in the system (I guess Blueger, maybe).
I was pissed when we picked Morrow over Saad, not now . In 2012, when we made that trade with Carolina and McGuire said "I wouldn't be surprised if they go defense again, they really like Derrick Pouliot" I thought it made sense, then with our 22nd pick, we picked Maatta, wasn't pissed about that pick because he was the best player available.

But I agree, we do need some forward talent in the 1st round, we have stocked up on so many D prospects. I wouldn't be surprised if we picked another defenseman in the first round if someone like Zadarov drops, because in the NHL, guys take a couple years or more before they start seeing the NHL, so it's not a matter of picking someone to help the team now.

I wouldn't be pissed if we took another defenseman in the 1st round, just confused or disappointed

I would like a winger though, Mantha would be cool but he's ranked 17th according to McKenzie. Max Domi is a center, ranked 18th by Bob McKenzie, maybe he could play wing in the future. Kerby Rychel ranked 23rd by McKenzie.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:31 PM

I could see us trading up to try to get Nichushkin. The guy is the next Rick Nash IMO.

That is, if we still have a 1st round pick come draft day.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:36 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Nichushkin is a Russian playing in Russia, isn't he?

Good luck with that.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:37 PM
rmartin65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I was pissed when we picked Morrow over Saad, not now . In 2012, when we made that trade with Carolina and McGuire said "I wouldn't be surprised if they go defense again, they really like Derrick Pouliot" I thought it made sense, then with our 22nd pick, we picked Maatta, wasn't pissed about that pick because he was the best player available.

But I agree, we do need some forward talent in the 1st round, we have stocked up on so many D prospects. I wouldn't be surprised if we picked another defenseman in the first round if someone like Zadarov drops, because in the NHL, guys take a couple years or more before they start seeing the NHL, so it's not a matter of picking someone to help the team now.

I wouldn't be pissed if we took another defenseman in the 1st round, just confused or disappointed

I would like a winger though, Mantha would be cool but he's ranked 17th according to McKenzie. Max Domi is a center, ranked 18th by Bob McKenzie, maybe he could play wing in the future. Kerby Rychel ranked 23rd by McKenzie.
The FO needs to start surrounding Crosby and Malkin with legitimate talent. Not merely guys who they elevate to decent, but guys who are decent who Malkin and Crosby can elevate to good (like how Malkin has elevated Neal's game). And we are going to have to do this on the (relatively) cheap, so we dont gut the rest of the team. Players on their ELCs are necessary.

I think you are right, Mantha probably wont be there. But I am talking in general here; I dont watch much CHL/USHL/European Leagues since I am in southern Indiana- I get most of my info from reading opinions on line, and the occasional game, as well as highlights. Not the best way of scouting, I know , but its what I got at my disposal.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
I've kind of come to a point where I don't even bother hoping the Pens will take a high scoring forward. I just assume they'll take a defenseman.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I've kind of come to a point where I don't even bother hoping the Pens will take a high scoring forward. I just assume they'll take a defenseman.
That's good, avoid the disappointment, and when they do pick a winger, you can be that more excited.

How about this guy for a 2nd round pick?

Hudson Fasching, RW in the USHL, 6'2", 213 lbs. 9 goals, 12 assists, 21 points in 37 games.

Eh, Tom Fitzgerald's son Ryan will likely be there when we pick in the 2nd round.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
I know people will scream BPA, but I really think at this point we need to take the best forward available when we draft this year. We've already seen with the Strait waiver fiasco that we have too many defense prospects and not enough spots for them, yet at the same time Bennett is our only forward prospect who isn't a long shot.

I think it's time to start filling the forward prospect cupboard as well, and not only with long shots or guys who project to be 3rd or 4th line grinders. Will that happen? Probably not. But I think that's what they need to do, in order to balance out our prospect pool.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
I agree, he's a finisher and has good speed for his size.

Him and Domi were ranked 17th and 18th. I can see Domi being picked by the Penguins as well if he's there when we pick, all depends on our draft position.
Ya Domi wouldn't surprise me either especially since it seems we follow the Knights pretty closely

Old
02-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 View Post
I could see us trading up to try to get Nichushkin. The guy is the next Rick Nash IMO.

That is, if we still have a 1st round pick come draft day.
This is a year I hope Shero and the Pens keep their picks. Awesome players available in the top 60

Old
02-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Nichushkin is a Russian playing in Russia, isn't he?

Good luck with that.
Malkin Is a Russian player that was playing in Russia at the time of the draft as well

Old
02-01-2013, 01:42 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

That's... a bit different.

Especially considering Shero didn't draft him.

Hell... he might have taken Cam Barker, were he the GM. He fits all the qualifications.

I'm mostly clownin' anyway. Mostly.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:44 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If available Anthony Mantha should be our target, that kid can ****ing score!!!

I think he was projected 15th by BM earlier this week in the mid season ranking
If the Pens are as successful as we hope this year (going deep in the playoffs and picking late in the 1st round), I don't think he will be available. But definitely, he seems like he would be a great fit. We could finally turn the page on Tangradi (if he doesn't turn things around) and have another power forward for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krom View Post
I didn't realize that was 2nd tier. Thanks.

Still, a highly regarded forward prospects with size was available to them and they selected a small defenseman with skill. I'd like to see them take the obvious choice once in a while.

I think we should stop talking about Phillip Forsberg until he becomes a perpetual 40-goal, all-star NHLe and Pouliot is a bust (and neither of those scenarios may happen), because if we are going to play the "going back in time/hindsight" game, we should have picked Jacob Trouba. He has improved his stock more than Forsberg, Pouliot, Dumba, or anyone else taken after him.

It's an exercise in futility doing the hindisght thing, so why don't we all just chill out and wait a few years before making any judgements. If Pouliot becomes the next Campbell or Letang, I will have no problem with that.

Quote:

For me, the Maatta pick was more questionable than the Pouliot pick. I know he was the "highest ranked" Dman on the board when we picked him, but then again, he may have slipped for a reason, and I had (and still have) some concerns about his game.

The two guys I would have considered looking at instead of a Dman were Henrik Samuelsson or Malcolm Subban. The Vokoun signing was fabulous when it happened and has proven to be great now, and I think Fleury still should have his best years ahead of him, and could be our Brodeur or Kiprusoff, meaning he can be an elite goalie and spend most/all of his career with the Pens.

But Subban would have made sense as having a legit blue-chip prospect in goal who could one day step in and perhaps out-perform Fluery if Marc-Andre fails to bring his game to the level of a consistent top-tier goalie night in, night out. Henrik Samuelsson may not have the elite speed we like to play with, but he's got good hands and decent offensive skills to go along with big size & grit, and could become a future Tomas Holmstrom or Claude Lemieux type players for us. I hope Maatta does indeed turn out to be a guy with top-2 or 3 potential (and carry that kind of trade value), otherwise he may not have been the BPA overall, or for our specific needs.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I know people will scream BPA, but I really think at this point we need to take the best forward available when we draft this year. We've already seen with the Strait waiver fiasco that we have too many defense prospects and not enough spots for them, yet at the same time Bennett is our only forward prospect who isn't a long shot.

I think it's time to start filling the forward prospect cupboard as well, and not only with long shots or guys who project to be 3rd or 4th line grinders. Will that happen? Probably not. But I think that's what they need to do, in order to balance out our prospect pool.

Well, as we all know, it's only a matter of time before some of our Dman start going out the door in trades and forwards or picks coming back. If we trade a guy like, say, Martin or Orpik for Setoguchi/Stewart/C. Wilson or another established forward, and/or trade a prospect like Despres/Maatta for one of those forwards mentioned above, a good forward prospect or similar type of deal, we could all of a suddent see our area of greatest depth (defense) start to thin out a bit, while filling our needs up front. If that scenario were to happen, drafting a Dman could make a lot of sense, especially if they were the BPA in the draft and had higher upside than some of our current prospect.

If no such trades are made, however, then I definitely agree with the sentiment that we will need a forward. In this scenario, there will be a lot of interesting players, because there are a lot of good forwards available this year. Domi could be a nice fit (and I think he has the skill/speed/strength & stockiness to translate his game to the pro level), but we would need to think about overall team size, especially because we already have a lot of small guys. A guy like Rychel could be a perfect sniper to play with one of our centres.

Whatever happens this year, it will be interesting -- unless we do what we did in 2003 and draft Ryan Ston, Filewich & others in the 2nd/3rd rounds, because we should be able to find some really good. Hopefully this year we'll do it right, and find our Loui Eriksson, Patrice Bergeron or David Backes in the 2nd round of this draft, the best since 2003. Though if we end up with the next Shea Weber by drafting a Dman with the 2nd pick, I won't complain about that either.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
That's... a bit different.

Especially considering Shero didn't draft him.

Hell... he might have taken Cam Barker, were he the GM. He fits all the qualifications.

I'm mostly clownin' anyway. Mostly.
I know what you mean and I'm 50/50 on the Russian's as well

1 thing is for sure I have absolutely no problem with a Russian player that wants to stay in Russia for the following 2-3 years(if not NHL ready of course) play in the KHL instead of the Juniors here which most prospects would take 3-4 years anyways. See a guy like Tarasenko for example, let him play vs men right away at age 18, let him make more money (cause they want that) and when he is ready and it's time bring him over

Old
02-01-2013, 01:55 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

I didn't mean to imply that I myself have any fear of this nebulous "Russian factor." I agree with you. I just have a hunch that Shero doesn't much care for taking that supposed risk. He seems very much like a "play it safe and stay within your comfort zone" guy at the draft.

A policy which will almost always get you NHL players (especially in the first few rounds, of course). But often not exceptional ones.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Malkin Is a Russian player that was playing in Russia at the time of the draft as well
As was Tarasenko and Shero wanted to move up for him.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
The two guys I would have considered looking at instead of a Dman were Henrik Samuelsson or Malcolm Subban. The Vokoun signing was fabulous when it happened and has proven to be great now, and I think Fleury still should have his best years ahead of him, and could be our Brodeur or Kiprusoff, meaning he can be an elite goalie and spend most/all of his career with the Pens.

But Subban would have made sense as having a legit blue-chip prospect in goal who could one day step in and perhaps out-perform Fluery if Marc-Andre fails to bring his game to the level of a consistent top-tier goalie night in, night out. Henrik Samuelsson may not have the elite speed we like to play with, but he's got good hands and decent offensive skills to go along with big size & grit, and could become a future Tomas Holmstrom or Claude Lemieux type players for us. I hope Maatta does indeed turn out to be a guy with top-2 or 3 potential (and carry that kind of trade value), otherwise he may not have been the BPA overall, or for our specific needs.
I wanted Henrik Samuelsson also, but not with Maatta on the board, you obviously can't tell with prospects, but it wasn't like his fall in the draft was expected, people were shocked. Pierre McGuire questioned why the Flames didn't take him at #14 when they traded the pick.

I don't question Maatta's game, i think he's a solid 2 way defenseman with development time to get better.

Now a goalie pick would be interesting, Fleury is 28 years old, still relatively young for a starting goalie. I'm not sure I would have wanted Subban, but what about our 1st round pick this year? Halifax goalie Zach Fucale? Ranked 22nd by McKenzie, he seems like he would be a blue chip goalie prospect.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Jag68Sid87

Drafting a goaltender in the first round is the equivalent of throwing money into the fireplace.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Drafting a goaltender in the first round is the equivalent of throwing money into the fireplace.
My first choice would be a winger in the 1st round, we need that more than anything.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:

Now a goalie pick would be interesting, Fleury is 28 years old, still relatively young for a starting goalie. I'm not sure I would have wanted Subban, but what about our 1st round pick this year? Halifax goalie Zach Fucale? Ranked 22nd by McKenzie, he seems like he would be a blue chip goalie prospect.
Although they may not be blue-chip murray and maguire are nothing to be upset about. Both goalies seem to have nhl potential but i personally like maguire much better. Murray has a really long way to go as he he is 6 foot 4 but 159 pounds but maguire already has an nhl frame being 6 foot 2 and 202 pounds.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Flat Stanley

Oh i agree, I like the Murray and Maguire picks. Adds goalie depth to our prospect pool.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Malkinstheman

Would have been nice if shero signed makarov seems like an interesting prospect

Old
02-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Al Smith

Bennett out of the lineup again tonight. His day-to-day is turning into week-to-week.

Closed Thread