HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

EQUIPMENT/BEGINNERS - Buyer's Guide and Advice

Old
01-16-2013, 05:36 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
My shoulder pads and elbow pads seemed somewhat ill fitting(they shrunk in the wash! I swear!) and I decided to quit my Craig Ludwig fat shin guards. All this stuff is 10-18 years old but in good shape and in my opinion not really distinguishable from stuff that's a couple years old. and the 2nd hand sports store wouldn't take any of it. Seems noone wants "old stuff".

The real kicker was it might have been a style thing. They figured the elbow and shoulder ones were Junior XL or adult small. Well, when I tried on new ones, I found both a junior XL and adult small I could wear in shoulder pads with better fit, although I eventually decided to get an adult medium. Elbow pads were a junior large/XL.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:04 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
That's why you don't throw them in the wash lol.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:43 AM
do0glas

ive thrown my shoulder/elbow in the wash several times. obviously not a weekly occurence, but anyway.

gentle cycle, cold water, minimal detergent, and then low heat delicates on the dryer. works just fine.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:54 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Just for reference a better Intermediate shoulder pads are the CCM U+12

Not the best for checking but provide enough protection while being completely mobile and comfortable.

Although CCM skates and sticks sometimes do suck in my mind, I bet Ovechkin still misses the protective gear. I'm probably just going to do CCM U+12 shins and upgrade my elbow pads also.

It's easily

CCM = Equipment
Bauer/Easton = Sticks
Bauer/Reebok = Skates
Reebok= Helmet
Reebok = Jersey

In my mind. You could add possibly Easton if the Mako turns out to be good. Bauer just has a dynasty on them currently though. Give me CCM equipment, a good comfortable jersey, some Bauer skates and a Total One and i'm ready to go.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:07 PM
SacredPetra

Can anyone explain to me why there are so few intermediate, right-handed, wooden sticks?

I'm probably overthinking this, given that I'm a complete beginner, but I'd rather not complicate things unnecessarily, and I don't have a LHS to try sticks out in. As a 5'6", 155lb, girl, if I'm understanding what I've read correctly, it seems like the senior sticks are going to have too high a flex (and probably be too tall), but I'm concerned a junior stick is going to be too short. I'm really not set on anything (aside from being fairly positive I want a right handed stick), so any and all advice is highly appreciated.

SacredPetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:53 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredPetra View Post
Can anyone explain to me why there are so few intermediate, right-handed, wooden sticks?

I'm probably overthinking this, given that I'm a complete beginner, but I'd rather not complicate things unnecessarily, and I don't have a LHS to try sticks out in. As a 5'6", 155lb, girl, if I'm understanding what I've read correctly, it seems like the senior sticks are going to have too high a flex (and probably be too tall), but I'm concerned a junior stick is going to be too short. I'm really not set on anything (aside from being fairly positive I want a right handed stick), so any and all advice is highly appreciated.
http://www.playersbench.com/istar.as...rtby=PRICEDESC
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/sticks-all-easton.html

Righty? So you would be more comfortable having your left hand hold the end of the stick and your right hand be further down.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:47 PM
SacredPetra

Thank you both!

Quote:
Righty? So you would be more comfortable having your left hand hold the end of the stick and your right hand be further down.
The left-handed sticks I've looked at all felt pretty awkward, and my first instinct is to put my left hand at the top, right hand down the shaft (which I noticed today is also how I hold a pitchfork).

Old
01-27-2013, 10:36 PM
SacredPetra

Thank you both!

Quote:
The left-handed sticks I've looked at all felt pretty awkward, and my first instinct is to put my left hand at the top, right hand down the shaft (which I noticed today is also how I hold a pitchfork).

Old
01-28-2013, 08:29 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Really depends what you want to do. My friend is right handed but uses a lefty stick because he's always been that way. Alot of hockey players are right handed, as are most people, but some use left handed sticks and some use right.

It all depends on your preference. I'm right handed and use right because i've always learned that way. Ideally, your top hand controls your stickhandling so you want it to be comfortable and able to roll your wrists.

Neither way is the right away. It's just preference and comfort.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredPetra View Post
Thank you both!

Check the stick buyer's guide thread (right next to this), it's got some info on your grip hand.

For intermediate wood sticks, the Sherwood 5030 should be available...you're in Colorado? Maybe you can put out a call to CO people for better hockey shops in your area?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:23 AM
neksys

Just a heads up that some (all?) Sports Mart locations in Canada are closing as of March 31. They have everything in the store at 40% off the last ticketed price.

Today I picked up (rough prices):

- Stick - Easton EQ30 w/ Hall curve for $25 (orig. $100)
- Gloves - Sherwood T90 Pros for $50
- Helmet - Bauer 7500 w/ cage for $75
- Visor - Bauer X100 for $50
- Bag - Easton EQ40 for $30

Plus some odds and ends (tape, new jock shorts, a few pucks, etc).

Sport Mart doesn't carry much high end stuff, but the stuff I picked up fits squarely in the intermediate range - for damn near half off.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:49 PM
OnionPuck

vCash: 50
Can someone make a thread like this (or post like the OPs) for beginner goalie gear? Been considering picking up a set for a while now to use in rec and not exactly sure of what I'll need. Thx.

OnionPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:36 AM
Puck Farise

Anyone ever play roller hockey wearing ice hockey pants for protection? I'm thinking about making the switch from an inline girdle. Or maybe anyone know if there's an inline girdle that offers very good padding? Because the new rink my league just moved to is sport court laid down right on top of concrete, nothing to cushion it in-between.

Just took a fall tonight on my left hip during open hockey...and dear ****ing lord, I can barely put weight on my left leg now. It's not even like the girdle moved and I landed where it wasn't padded. It's just not padded enough to absorb that kinda impact.

Puck Farise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:13 PM
McDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPass2Clarkson View Post
Anyone ever play roller hockey wearing ice hockey pants for protection? I'm thinking about making the switch from an inline girdle. Or maybe anyone know if there's an inline girdle that offers very good padding? Because the new rink my league just moved to is sport court laid down right on top of concrete, nothing to cushion it in-between.

Just took a fall tonight on my left hip during open hockey...and dear ****ing lord, I can barely put weight on my left leg now. It's not even like the girdle moved and I landed where it wasn't padded. It's just not padded enough to absorb that kinda impact.
I would think that the combination of ice pants and ice socks (you'll need something over your shin pads) would be oppressively hot for roller, unless you're outdoors in cold weather.

Maybe try a pair of the Farrell padded compression shorts or something similar under your girdle?

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 04:02 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new hockey net for summer outdoor shooting. I want to get one with the backstop included. However I've been reading reviews and a lot of them say how easy the pipes dent with real pucks. Anyone have any experience with them? Which company makes the highest quality one? Or are there homemade ways to reinforce/protect the pipes?

Also, which is the best material for a shooting pad? I've heard of using acrylic or plexiglass, any other suggestions that are cost effective? Thanks in advance!

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:57 PM
AIREAYE

http://reviews.costco.ca/2070-en_ca/...ws/reviews.htm

Do a search for shooting boards.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new hockey net for summer outdoor shooting. I want to get one with the backstop included. However I've been reading reviews and a lot of them say how easy the pipes dent with real pucks. Anyone have any experience with them? Which company makes the highest quality one? Or are there homemade ways to reinforce/protect the pipes?

Also, which is the best material for a shooting pad? I've heard of using acrylic or plexiglass, any other suggestions that are cost effective? Thanks in advance!
Check this thread

If you have unlimited money, a real hockey net with a netting backstop is ideal. Paired with a shooting board on a hard surface (like plywood).

If you don't, I thought about the idea of a billboard tarp hung from a wooden frame.

Also, if you are in the Twin Cities, there's a free outdoor shooting area outside the Richfield arena and indoor shooting areas at Bloomington and St Louis Park.

Double also, if you are in the Twin Cities, there's a place that sells billboard tarps on Craigslist for $25. Warning: they smell funny.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:22 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
Thanks for the info guys! I think I've decided to go with the EZ goal/backstop. Once I get it I will see if I can Macgyver a way to protect the posts a bit more.

As for the pad, I think I'm going to try both the acrylic and a white board if I can find one.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

EQUIPMENT - Buying Guide & Advice

Forward to Equipment thread

Old
04-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Okay, if anyone's wondering WTF I'm doing, I hate sticky threads but I hate losing good threads, so I'm making redirects to these advice threads that I will actually look at every time I log in!

Old
06-21-2013, 11:23 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Need some advice!

Has anyone here used the TRON V10 Senior Ice Hockey Skates? I need some advice.

I'm moving up from Roller Hockey and am trying my hand at Ice Hockey for the first time. My local Ice Rink offered 5 different Tier levels, with my team being in the Tier 5 (beginner/novice/etc.) So I need to get equipment, but unfortunately my budget is very tight.

So far I've been told that I need a Girdle, Shell, Hockey Socks, and of course Shoulder Pads.

Here's what I've picked out for each thus far:

Shoulder Pads

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-...graded-sr.html

Girdle

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/eagle-ho...le-x88-sr.html

Shell

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...-shell-sr.html

The last thing I need, besides a new pair of Elbow Pads (but my local Ice Rink sells them for a decent price) is Skates. I've been looking and looking, trying to make sure that I get the right ones, even though I'm playing a notice/beginner league.

So again, if anyone has used the TRON V10 Senior Ice Hockey Skates and can offer some feedback, as well as some feedback for what I've listed above, that'd be great...need that feedback rather quick, our league starts on 7/8/13 and I've got to order, get them here and then practice a bit

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 11:37 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Tron is a knockoff hockey brand, do not buy skates from them. Certain things you can, but not skates.

snizzbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 01:37 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Yeah, I wouldn't touch Tron skates with a 10' pole. They will be absolutely horrible. If you have a shop anywhere near you with a variety of skates I would definitely get fitted there for skates. It's a very painful and expensive process if you want to order online and hope skates fit right. Bauer, Easton, Reebok, CCM and Graf are about the only brands you'll want to look at for ice. Check the sticky thread about skate fitting at the top of The Rink.

As for the other gear, it's up to you. They look good enough. Just make sure you're okay with the amount of protection they offer. With elbow pads make sure they have a hard plastic cup and not just the foam padding. With the pants, make sure they have good tailbone and hip protection.

If you can try on the gear and buy it at a local shop I would highly recommend doing so. No two pieces of gear fit the same. Even different models in the same line are completely different at times. You'll save yourself a headache if you can be sure of the fit the first time.

Here's a list of gear one needs for ice, just in case you're missing anything:
Helmet (+ optional Visor/Cage/Mouthgaurd) (Same as inline.)
Shoulder pads
Elbow pads (Same as inline.)
Gloves (Same as inline.)
Jock + Pants or Girdle + Shell
Shin pads (Same as inline.)
Skates
Stick (Same as inline.)

Good luck, have fun.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 07:17 AM
AIREAYE

Yeah, check out the Skate guide for some background info. You need to get fitted properly with this, as well as a helmet. These two things you should take the effort to go to a store for.

You don't really need a girdle unless you prefer it because you're coming from roller.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:17 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Thanks for the responses guys.

I do have a helmet, and intend on getting a visor/cage for it, gotta protect the "Moneymaker" right? (I'm ugly, lol)

Thanks for the feedback on the skates. I read the thread up at top, but was looking for feedback on these Tron's since they fit really well into my budget. But you guys are right, skates are something that have to be right in order to have a good time.

I live in Wichita, KS. We have 1 Ice Rink that has a Pro Shop...but the only Hockey Skates they have are a pair of Bauer Vapor's and an Easton one...both of which are in the $300-400 range, and that's just way too far outside of what I can afford.

But yes, I've got a cup/jock, shin pads, mouth guard, helmet and (decent enough) stick from my roller days, the items I linked above and skates are the last thing for me to get...besides an equipment bag to hold all of it!

RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote