HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Washington - Toronto

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2013, 08:57 AM
  #26
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK
 
legendinblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,085
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Angry Teatowel View Post
Actually, it was 65 points in 78 games and 38 of those 65 points were goals. Dude still has 341 goals in 560 NHL games (and 30 goals in 51 play-off games) and if he can get back a better standard of play, which is not impossible, he is still one of the most valuable players in the league.

(All this coming from a neutral, by the way)
Exactly. IF he can. Watching him stink it up for three years now, I'm starting to lose any belief of that happening.

With his contract he should be a 95+ point player every year.

Regardless, the Leafs are not trading youth away attempting for shortcuts. At least I hope so.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:59 AM
  #27
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense View Post
Is Ovechkin still untouchable? Does he still have it? I don't watch the Caps that much, but is it the captaincy that is pressure or does this guy need a change of scenery. He has had 4 different coaches in Washington, had 40 points in 31 games in the KHL this year so is it just a slow start due to the transition back to the NHL for a shortened season? I want to say I believe a coaching change, or GM change would happen or some moves by McPhee would be done before its considered the face of the franchise is traded.

A lot of fans have been proposing garbage for Ovechkin even though its true he's slumping and has an expensive lengthy contract. It got me thinking... He still is one of the most talented players in the world 27 years of age, and a change of scenery may get him going again.
One thing I was shocked to know is that the Caps are last place in the league right now with a 1-5-1 record. Last place. They have the chance to bomb for 1st overall Seth Jones or Nathan MacKinnon. Does McPhee think this is a playoff team or is it time for a quick rebuild in full stride?

If I were the Caps, I'd trade Ovechkin, grab a package of young prospects and picks. The Caps already have a lot of good prospects (Kuznetsov, Forsberg, Wilson, Holtby) and could really deepen the prospect pool with a trade of Ovechkin.

Is there any NHL team that will be willing to take on such a contract for a seem to be regressing player? Its a risky move, but Ovechkin is still an elite player. His work ethic has been questionable and his defensive game. I got this off the Caps board, Owner Leonsis calls Ovechkin out http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...o-play-better/ "He needs to play better."

Speaking as a Leafs fans I proposed this on my board and basically the majority didn't like the idea for us. The results of trading our futures for a win now motive has always backfired on us and the nightmares of moves in the 2000s are fresh in our minds. I think this could be a win - win. Ovechkin has 59 points in 51 playoff games, he has also burned our team with 42 points in 27 games with 23 goals so there is no question he can thrive under pressure in Toronto. He is built for being playing under the spotlight.


Morgan Rielly (5th overall 2012)
Tyler Biggs (22nd overall 2011)
Stuart Percy (25th overall 2011)
2013 1st round draft pick


Alex Ovechkin ($9.5m)

Why do the Leafs do this? Its Ovechkin. Although, it is our highly touted prospect, may be the most exciting player we've drafted in decades, Morgan Rielly is an 18 year old blue chipper who is still 1 year or 2 away from stepping into the NHL. It will be a few more years before he is our number 1 puck mover. We do have Jake Gardiner in his place. All the players are on the move are developing in the CHL, so it does not hurt our farm but it weakens our prospect pool. Got to give to get. Ovechkin makes an immediate impact for us, helps us on the PP and is an immediate game changer and makes us a legit playoff team. We have just over 7 million in cap space, some room to start for Ovechkin. A lot of people underrate Phil Kessel's passing capabilities, he had 45 assists last season with Bozak as his centre, chemistry could work wonders with Ovechkin. Overall this makes Toronto a more attractive destination for free agents making a statement of going all in to win.

Leafs top 9 would look like
Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Ovechkin - Grabovski - Kulemin
JVR - Kadri - Frattin


Why does Washington do this? Its the equivalent of 4 1st rounders and they unload Ovechkins contract. Its a statement that its time to rebuild, although they would ice a competitive young team after a high pick in the 2013 draft and maybe a high 2014 draft for a quick turn around. This is quality and quantity together that helps solidify Washingtons prospect pool and puts their rebuild mode in full stride. Biggs I believe would be a good piece with Tom Wilson also coming up for the Caps as tough power forwards. And Percy and the 1st round pick are other quality pieces. Don't forget Washington do have some pretty looking prospects in Filip Forsberg and Yevgeni Kuznetsov coming up in the system so a player like MacKinnon or even Drouin would add in nicely or future Norris candidate Seth Jones along with Rielly would help lead the Caps to a potential cup win.

So Caps fans would you consider trading Ovechkin? Other fans; is he still untouchable and would this be a win - win trade if he was on the move?
I was going to put "Dear God no!!!" but figured i'd look at Ovi's contract first....13 years....100 gazzilion dollars....declining player....

Dear God no!!!

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:14 AM
  #28
fedfed
Moderator
@FedFedRMNB
 
fedfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow City
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,117
vCash: 500
He sure looked like "Old Ovi" last night. Involved, scored a goal, won battles all over the ice, dazzled the D with his skating.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:29 AM
  #29
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
He sure looked like "Old Ovi" last night. Involved, scored a goal, won battles all over the ice, dazzled the D with his skating.
Umm...were we watching the same game? He did get a goal....soft as it was, but the rest?

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:34 AM
  #30
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,039
vCash: 500
I wouldn't take Ovechkin and his uninspiring play at all unless he starts showing a pulse again. He makes your team worse with the amount of time the puck is expected to be on his stick and he doesn't do anything with it anymore but turn it over. At this point, if you're acquiring Ovechkin it is to sell jerseys.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:34 AM
  #31
Stu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: England
Posts: 639
vCash: 500
I think his issue is that he expected success sooner in his career. Crosby came in and won a cup quickly, Ovi is now going out the playoff's at the first time of asking and his team is not even considered a threat any more, let alone a contender.

His career has undoubtedly took a downturn although his numbers are still very very good. The problem with OV was that he was always a PURE goalscorer, lauded for his ability to score but his laziness and unwillingness to defend will be a huge factor in his trade value and suitors.

That being said - this is Ovi, amazing player no doubt and entertainment guaranteed - maybe generating the most excitement when he's on the puck since Pavel Bure. The problem is quite simply his value to the Caps is too high for a lot of teams to be able to make a trade that would make sense unless it was 1-1, as was mentioned a Hossa/Heatley type would be most likely IF it were to happen. Personally, I don't see it for at least 3-4 more years.

Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:36 AM
  #32
dannyboy8920
Registered User
 
dannyboy8920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
He sure looked like "Old Ovi" last night. Involved, scored a goal, won battles all over the ice, dazzled the D with his skating.
Only one shift I know, but it really stood out to me that something is up. I think it was near the end of the game and Grabovski literally stole the puck off him twice standing still. It looked really bad. I know he is still Ovi and will electrify us with his will to win, but damn.

dannyboy8920 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:44 AM
  #33
fedfed
Moderator
@FedFedRMNB
 
fedfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow City
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Umm...were we watching the same game? He did get a goal....soft as it was, but the rest?
Yes. He generated offense, he circled the Leafs zone twice all by himself with two D chasing him with a minute to go...
Ovechkin started off slowly last year too, then had 10 goals in March.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:48 AM
  #34
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Yes. He generated offense, he circled the Leafs zone twice all by himself with two D chasing him with a minute to go...
Ovechkin started off slowly last year too, then had 10 goals in March.
One defenseman chasing him, they rotated once he skated from one side to the other. I'm sorry but that was pathetic. Average players could do that, maybe even end up with a better result than an easily anticipated pass on the other team's stick. He played like ass last night and the one goal he scored, 25/30 goalies would have stopped that.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:54 AM
  #35
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Yes. He generated offense, he circled the Leafs zone twice all by himself with two D chasing him with a minute to go...
Ovechkin started off slowly last year too, then had 10 goals in March.
Actually, our D changed off multiple times while keeping him to the outside and blocking shooting/passing lanes. Textbook, i' think they'd be happy to let him skate circles all day.

And again, other than the soft goal....he generated zilch.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:44 AM
  #36
Regina Pat
CBJ Bandwagon ID:962
 
Regina Pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The ODR
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,120
vCash: 500
Few teams actually have a combo of players to get Ovechkin, and very few GM's have the balls to pull it off.

You would have to think that if anyone could put up the package, LA could be the team. Not the the Kings would/should do it, but with the level of talent they possess, it is possible.

Regina Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:50 AM
  #37
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP
 
MillarWithASave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Melbourne, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,944
vCash: 500
I would like to see Ovechkin get a change of scenery, he needs it. I mean he did well in the KHL, I think the Capitals are dragging him down.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:03 AM
  #38
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,610
vCash: 500
Some people don't realize this but most if not all teams wouldn't take Ovechkin for free. The guy has one of the highest and worst cap hits in the league. For someone that needs to prove he's not currently a 60 to 70 point player. Nobody's going to want 9.5 against the cap for that. If he keeps declining or doesn't even return to form then that's the worst contract in the league.

Washington wouldn't trade him for free because organizations have more loyalty then that and the huge potential might still be there but if things keep up like this for another season or two that contract will be universally hated by Caps fans and management.

Why would a team take that for free let alone for a player like Rielly?

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:07 AM
  #39
RC51
Registered User
 
RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,580
vCash: 500
Take it from a team that knows just how bad things can get.
Habs trade for Gomez. pay him 7.5 per for WHAT, 3-4 goals per year??
He smiles a lot, joked a lot with the boys, skated up and down a lot, never went to the corners or front of the net. But wow was he fast at cashing his cheques. Martin tried like hell to play him to get him to start scoring. It Cost Martin his job. Habs finished LAST.
OV is now in a position to do the exact same thing. Just show up to get paid, make sure the team never makes the playoffs because that way OV gets an extra 2-3 months per year to play with his Ferrari, drink all he wants, smoke big fat cigars under any palm tree he wants and well lets face it, spend a ton of time with his girlfriend with her face south of his border. He has a contract going forward at almost 10 mil per year for years and years and more years. This is the position the Caps are in NOW.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:35 AM
  #40
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,310
vCash: 500
Ovechkin likely needs change of scenery IMO, which means that the caps likely wouldn't get his true value in a trade, considering that notion plus that of his insane cap hit.

if the caps were to entertain the idea of trading him, there would be few teams who had the available assets plus the cap space and finances to acquire him, making the market small and the return likely underwhelming/surprising.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:51 AM
  #41
waitin425
Registered User
 
waitin425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 951
vCash: 500
I tossed a Habs offer in there earlier. Now from the Isles.

Nino
Reinhart
Bailey
2nd 2013

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:51 AM
  #42
RottenScoundrel
Registered User
 
RottenScoundrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Little Pink House
Country: United States
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
2004 NHL draft revisited .... Do the Caps do it all over again with Ovechkin? Or do they take the rising superstar, Evgeni Malkin? I bet they wish they'd of taken Malkin when they had the chance. That said, the hyperbole surrounding Ovechkin would've made it very difficult for George McPhee to explain to Caps fans why they didn't take the best player, lol.

RottenScoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:54 AM
  #43
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is
 
Poignant Discussion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gatineau, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,756
vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense View Post
Is Ovechkin still untouchable? Does he still have it? I don't watch the Caps that much, but is it the captaincy that is pressure or does this guy need a change of scenery. He has had 4 different coaches in Washington, had 40 points in 31 games in the KHL this year so is it just a slow start due to the transition back to the NHL for a shortened season? I want to say I believe a coaching change, or GM change would happen or some moves by McPhee would be done before its considered the face of the franchise is traded.

A lot of fans have been proposing garbage for Ovechkin even though its true he's slumping and has an expensive lengthy contract. It got me thinking... He still is one of the most talented players in the world 27 years of age, and a change of scenery may get him going again.
One thing I was shocked to know is that the Caps are last place in the league right now with a 1-5-1 record. Last place. They have the chance to bomb for 1st overall Seth Jones or Nathan MacKinnon. Does McPhee think this is a playoff team or is it time for a quick rebuild in full stride?

If I were the Caps, I'd trade Ovechkin, grab a package of young prospects and picks. The Caps already have a lot of good prospects (Kuznetsov, Forsberg, Wilson, Holtby) and could really deepen the prospect pool with a trade of Ovechkin.

Is there any NHL team that will be willing to take on such a contract for a seem to be regressing player? Its a risky move, but Ovechkin is still an elite player. His work ethic has been questionable and his defensive game. I got this off the Caps board, Owner Leonsis calls Ovechkin out http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...o-play-better/ "He needs to play better."

Speaking as a Leafs fans I proposed this on my board and basically the majority didn't like the idea for us. The results of trading our futures for a win now motive has always backfired on us and the nightmares of moves in the 2000s are fresh in our minds. I think this could be a win - win. Ovechkin has 59 points in 51 playoff games, he has also burned our team with 42 points in 27 games with 23 goals so there is no question he can thrive under pressure in Toronto. He is built for being playing under the spotlight.


Morgan Rielly (5th overall 2012)
Tyler Biggs (22nd overall 2011)
Stuart Percy (25th overall 2011)
2013 1st round draft pick


Alex Ovechkin ($9.5m)

Why do the Leafs do this? Its Ovechkin. Although, it is our highly touted prospect, may be the most exciting player we've drafted in decades, Morgan Rielly is an 18 year old blue chipper who is still 1 year or 2 away from stepping into the NHL. It will be a few more years before he is our number 1 puck mover. We do have Jake Gardiner in his place. All the players are on the move are developing in the CHL, so it does not hurt our farm but it weakens our prospect pool. Got to give to get. Ovechkin makes an immediate impact for us, helps us on the PP and is an immediate game changer and makes us a legit playoff team. We have just over 7 million in cap space, some room to start for Ovechkin. A lot of people underrate Phil Kessel's passing capabilities, he had 45 assists last season with Bozak as his centre, chemistry could work wonders with Ovechkin. Overall this makes Toronto a more attractive destination for free agents making a statement of going all in to win.

Leafs top 9 would look like
Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Ovechkin - Grabovski - Kulemin
JVR - Kadri - Frattin


Why does Washington do this? Its the equivalent of 4 1st rounders and they unload Ovechkins contract. Its a statement that its time to rebuild, although they would ice a competitive young team after a high pick in the 2013 draft and maybe a high 2014 draft for a quick turn around. This is quality and quantity together that helps solidify Washingtons prospect pool and puts their rebuild mode in full stride. Biggs I believe would be a good piece with Tom Wilson also coming up for the Caps as tough power forwards. And Percy and the 1st round pick are other quality pieces. Don't forget Washington do have some pretty looking prospects in Filip Forsberg and Yevgeni Kuznetsov coming up in the system so a player like MacKinnon or even Drouin would add in nicely or future Norris candidate Seth Jones along with Rielly would help lead the Caps to a potential cup win.

So Caps fans would you consider trading Ovechkin? Other fans; is he still untouchable and would this be a win - win trade if he was on the move?
That is truly hideous proposal. Very well could be the worst one ever entered on HFboards. Ovechkin would be run out of Toronto within 2 weeks.

People need to understand the game he played before, is the type of game that shortens careers. The MVP Ovy is dead and gone.

Add to the fact most long term deals are team friendly, and his is not. Washington paid market value for a guy on their own team. The return will be underwhelming to say the least for Ovy unless the Caps add assets. He is going to take 1/6 of someones cap next year, you cannot win that way period.

There is no one on the Leafs I'd trade 1 for 1 for Ovy and it's not a slight on him. I believe he is trying but his body isn't doing what it did before. His contract is obscene compared to his performance since the Montreal series

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:03 PM
  #44
OilCanada92
Registered User
 
OilCanada92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 518
vCash: 500
solve this now:

Kessell
Gardnier
Rielly for Ovechkin.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:07 PM
  #45
hockeyGod
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,074
vCash: 500
Ovechkin needs to get back on HGH.

hockeyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:39 PM
  #46
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
solve this now:

Kessell
Gardnier
Rielly for Ovechkin.
Yak
Hall
RNH for Ovechkin

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:43 PM
  #47
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job
 
Leafs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond Hill
Country: Romania
Posts: 4,254
vCash: 500
No ********** way

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:55 PM
  #48
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,754
vCash: 100
You do realize this has the chance to be a Kessel 2.0 trade right?

Ovechkin makes almost twice as much as Kessel right now!

9.5M, I'd rather give 9M to Getzlaf and get a center and have more balance.

Leafs were 5-1-1 last year to start the season. I don't trust this team at all. We could easily pick top 5 this year again. Easily.

Washington doesn't need to trade Ovechkin, they just need a new GM and a more offensive coach that also focuses on D.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:14 PM
  #49
fedfed
Moderator
@FedFedRMNB
 
fedfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow City
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Actually, our D changed off multiple times while keeping him to the outside and blocking shooting/passing lanes. Textbook, i' think they'd be happy to let him skate circles all day.

And again, other than the soft goal....he generated zilch.
Our guys just didn't get open. Yes, you played good D, but that doesn't take away Ovi's fantastic skating and stickhandling on that play and all night long. He won like 3 or 4 potential icing chases.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:32 PM
  #50
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr
 
captain9nyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hammonton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 932
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
You want to really get fans going?

Ovechkin and Backstrom and a piece for Malkin and a piece.

Discuss.

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.