Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL

Top '97 for 2013 Q draft

Old
01-16-2013, 07:19 AM
TonyTinglebone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
The U-16 roster is out and Myers is there I am just surprised as he was not at the summer camp he will help the team for sure and you are right 4-6 , I watched Thompson play this weekend and he was good but I did not see a huge improvement you have to remember RNS does not play in the tough midget league as the others do.When they all play together in Quebec this summer you will be able to get a better read of were they all fit in still not ready to throw Deschene under the bus he is a physical force and once he figures out how to control his emotions I think he will be fine,people need to remember these kids are just turning 16 and are the best in there age group.
I agree about not throwing Deschenes under the bus. He is still the top regarded 97 dman in the maritimes. He has played a lot of hockey over the past 3-4 years and all this talk of people catching up might just be the over exposure factor. This is what, his 3rd year on the U-16 team? That's pretty impressive in it's own right. I was just putting it out there about Thompson because as you said he doesn't play in the midget league and doesn't get the exposure of the rest of these guys. I think people will be really surprised when they see him in Quebec.

With respect to Myers, I think the best thing about this new U-16 tournament is that the team isn't picked until now, as opposed to having a team based off of a couple camps over the summer. The best players were scouted and I think they did a great job picking this team. I could ask a couple of questions about some selections and omissions but it seems they did a pretty darn good job here.

Surprised to see Jacob Vance as a forward, thought he played defense?

Glad to see Kyle Ward there, he has really come into his own this year, He appears to have taken a HUGE step forward this year.

I am also very happy to see that Tristan Meadows made the team. I think that he has been the most overlooked goaltender, as well as the best goaltender in the province for that age group. Nice to see that he is getting some recognition.

TonyTinglebone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:29 AM
rwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
Heard good stuff on 2014 eligible, Luke Green. Anyone here seen him?
You will get significantly different opinions of him depending on who you ask. Terrific skater but should be a forward. Hockey sense is very high risk, high reward... the issue is he only gets away with it because of how much better and faster he is at the bantam level.

Rumoured that him and his brother (Matt Green) are going to prep school in the US next season.

rwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:12 AM
IslandScouter

Have the other 5 U-16 rosters been announced?

IslandScouter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:18 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTinglebone View Post
I have heard from several people as well that Will Thompson has surpassed Deschenes as the top 97 dman in the maritimes. Don't know if I would agree with that but Thompson has improved immensely over the past year and it is certainly a valid argument.
I agree Tony, I think that most people overlook Thompson because he hasn't been around the 'normal' leagues for two years now. Last year he was at OHA and this year RNS... NCAA prospect? I wouldn't expect too many Q teams take a chance on him, not because of his play, he is a tremendous defenseman, but the RNS move makes me think he is following Vanderlaan's route to US College.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:20 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy98 View Post
Have the other 5 U-16 rosters been announced?
Not that I have seen yet, if you find them post links here!

Old
01-16-2013, 04:15 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
I agree Tony, I think that most people overlook Thompson because he hasn't been around the 'normal' leagues for two years now. Last year he was at OHA and this year RNS... NCAA prospect? I wouldn't expect too many Q teams take a chance on him, not because of his play, he is a tremendous defenseman, but the RNS move makes me think he is following Vanderlaan's route to US College.
Do you think Thompson is looking at NCAA ?

it will interesting to see the U-16'S this year it will be the first time Deschene has played with his own age group he may the piece that team needed they came close against NS last year,they added some size with Ward and Scott on forward and Myers and Hachey on Dnot convinced on him yet plays soft for such a big guy ,I like Vance on D but he is now a forward with his size and grit he will put some fear in opposing D.Does anyone have an opinion on what team NB looks like.

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:15 PM
jboyz

When is the draft? I know it is in Chicoutimi this year but when is it?

jboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:53 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboyz View Post
When is the draft? I know it is in Chicoutimi this year but when is it?
It was June 9th last year should be close to that date I would say 8th or 15th. The U-16 QMJHL Gold Cup is may 2-5 ,I think this is replacing the Combine this year.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:36 AM
RogueLeader39

Is Jordan Greenway eligible for the Q draft, or is he gonna be in the O or the W???

RogueLeader39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:44 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueLeader39 View Post
Is Jordan Greenway eligible for the Q draft, or is he gonna be in the O or the W???
Since he's from New York, he's an OHL prospect.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:21 PM
IslandScouter

Any draft lists out yet, anyone drop/rise in peoples minds since Halifax tourney

Old
01-22-2013, 05:08 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Any draft lists out yet, anyone drop/rise in peoples minds since Halifax tourney
No one did anything in Halifax that impresssed me much if I have changed my opinion on a player it would be Kyle Ward from Moncton he is developing into a good player, heard lots of hype on Campbell Pickard from NS he is big but can't skate like the other top forwards, still like Towers ,was hoping to see Nick Welch but he was injured.was very impressed with Bower from St John I would say he is as good or better than Leblanc.

JMO

Old
01-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Hometownhero

Where is the draft?

Last edited by Hometownhero: 01-28-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Hometownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:48 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Anthony Beauvillier has to be the favorite for 1st overall.. Guy has 34 goals in 36 games this year...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:36 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Anthony Beauvillier has to be the favorite for 1st overall.. Guy has 34 goals in 36 games this year...
What league is playing in Quebec?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:22 PM
UncMike

Any thoughts or advice with regards to family advisors and/or agents for kids looking to get drafted?

UncMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:16 AM
Dogpound

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncMike View Post
Any thoughts or advice with regards to family advisors and/or agents for kids looking to get drafted?
Absolutly no need for one for a kid going into junior. Nothing to negotiate unless you are a top 5 pick usually.. If you are going to be drafted in top few rounds you will be drafted no matter if you have a family advisor or not. A waste of money. You have to pay these guys a fee to basically do nothing.

Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Hometownhero

Any idea on goalies in the draft?

Hometownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:04 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpound View Post
Absolutly no need for one for a kid going into junior. Nothing to negotiate unless you are a top 5 pick usually.. If you are going to be drafted in top few rounds you will be drafted no matter if you have a family advisor or not. A waste of money. You have to pay these guys a fee to basically do nothing.
Not sure if there is a need to have an advisor and it won't determine if you get drafted or not , not all Advisors are the same some charge an up front fee some of the larger more established companies take high end players that they think have long term potential and they have no up front fee's every agency is different you have to be careful there good and bad.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:53 AM
ClemQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncMike View Post
in 7 yrs of scouting, i have yet to see a 15yr old become a better hockey player, better person or more passionate for hockey because of an agent or advisor. The kids/family should focus on what's important, which, is playing hockey and improving.

ClemQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:49 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
What league is playing in Quebec?
Quebec Midget AAA. He will definitely go top3 or top4 but I believe Nicolas Roy (great stats on weak Amos team, 6'4" at 15 years old, impressive skillset).

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:21 PM
IslandScouter

Haven't heard much about Noel lately, im looking forward to seeing him in the u 16 tournament in may

Old
01-30-2013, 05:24 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Haven't heard much about Noel lately, im looking forward to seeing him in the u 16 tournament in may
Has anyone seen the team lists from the other provinces?

Old
02-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Q7scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemQ View Post
in 7 yrs of scouting, i have yet to see a 15yr old become a better hockey player, better person or more passionate for hockey because of an agent or advisor. The kids/family should focus on what's important, which, is playing hockey and improving.
Totally agree.....and would go as far as saying I'm seen some bad ones do more harm than good.

Q7scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:19 PM
ClemQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q7scout View Post
Totally agree.....and would go as far as saying I'm seen some bad ones do more harm than good.
I could make a list of players that were good players in midget AAA, players that might have been drafted in the middle rounds, only to show up at an interview with an Agent...WTF!!!!

ClemQ is offline   Reply With Quote